Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Walking Out during First Meet      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Uonlyliveonce5
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Walking Out during First MeetPage 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

The only time I would advocate someone doing this is if she showed up and something about your profile/previous discussions was a full on lie.

I did this when I met a man who was easilyy 20 years older than his profile and additional pics sent to me indicated. He said he was 47...if he was a day younger than 67 Id be shocked. Lie to me, and you wont get any of my time. I will leave you sitting there all the fool.

This 100%, I can't imagine someone seeing pictures and finding out all your details, building a rapport and leaving you in the middle of the date. Obv. there is something missing from the OP's story. Either he was offensive or he lied about his profile in someway.
 dipstic
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Walking Out during First Meet
Posted: 2/17/2012 9:54:59 PM
A similar thing happened to me. I finally got to meet Marie at the mall after chatting with her for a few months. She seemed like a very nice person the date was going smoothly. We had lunch and talked for an hour then she had to do some shopping so I gave her a hug and told her I will talk to her online tonight. Later that night when I logged and went to chat with her she cut-out abruptly. Next thing I knew she deleted her profile. A month later I saw her at Zellers, so I went over to greet her "hi Marie, How are you?" sort of thing but just as I began to speak, she stiffened up, rolled her eyes and turned her head while placing her hand to one side of her face like she didn't want me to bother her. I heard her say "whatever" then she quickly walked away like I wasn't there. What the hell was her problem? Later that night I did chat with her and I was pissed that she snubbed me the way she did. I was extra nice to her up until that point, but then the gloves came off (figure of speech).
 astrosky
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 9:11:03 AM
I agree that giving too much attention to your phone on a date is rude. So is misrepresenting yourself on your profile. Therefore perhaps those two things cancel each other out.

I've never had a date walk out on me, nor have I ever walked out, but there are 4 things that have made me want to

1) If a guy smells really bad because he doesn't use deoderant
2) If all a guy talks about is sex and automatically assumes I will be his next playmate because I showed up.
3) If all a guy talks about is his ex and goes on and on and on about his prior relationship.
4) Utterly narcissitic monologue - and then, "enough about me, what do YOU think about ME?"

I will assume that if people walk out on dates with you on a regular basis - that you are doing one of the above things and are pretending you don't know why they left. I bet you know very well why - rudeness begets rudeness.
 rec_diver
Msg: 125
Posted: 2/18/2012 9:14:24 AM

dipstic : I finally got to meet Marie at the mall after chatting with her for a few months.. Later that night when I logged and went to chat with her she cut-out abruptly. Next thing I knew she deleted her profile. A month later I saw her at Zellers, so I went over to greet her "hi Marie, How are you?" sort of thing but just as I began to speak, she stiffened up, rolled her eyes and turned her head

You chatted for months prior to meeting each other. Way too long. Because more often than not, during that first meetup, one or both people don't like what they see.

dipstic : What the hell was her problem? Later that night I did chat with her and I was pissed that she snubbed me the way she did. I was extra nice to her up until that point, but then the gloves came off (figure of speech).

Her attitude towards you dramatically changed after she met you in person, she was no longer interested in speaking to you , and you're wondering what the hell her problem is?

She didn't like what she saw.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 4:53:29 PM
She was rude, ignorant, & a complete waste of skin. Good thing you found out right away what an azz she is, so you didn't waste any more time on her. There is no excuse for that, no class.
 dipstic
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 11:48:17 PM
I really don't understand why she didn't like my looks, I mean we did the webcam thing a number of times and she was ok with me, she even flash her tits at me once. So i ask again, what is her problem? Keep in mind that she is from Dalhousie. Enough said...and i'm not complaining, just stating a fact. Lalalalala
 dipstic
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 11:56:43 PM

You chatted for months prior to meeting each other. Way too long. Because more often than not, during that first meetup, one or both people don't like what they see.
....but if we meet after an hour of chatting then some will say I was going too fast. I once met a girl for coffee after chatting for only 10 minutes and it didn't work out. All she did was talk about her imaginary ex-boyfriend. she kept going on about being in love with her fantasy man (grateful it's not me)...blah..blah...blop. She was creeping the heck out me so I made an excuse and bailed out.
 astefko
Msg: 129
Posted: 2/24/2012 7:21:46 PM
I've something done similar but, yes, I told the guy I was leaving.
I did it twice when I was unexperienced with online dating. The 2 dudes had decieving pics on their profile.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2012 7:27:44 PM

....but if we meet after an hour of chatting then some will say I was going too fast. I once met a girl for coffee after chatting for only 10 minutes and it didn't work out.

Common sense would dictate that you talk to someone long enough to weed out a wasted meeting but not so long that you develop a faux relationship you have to break off when it's discovered there's no mutual attraction.

To think the two choices are only talking for three months or 10 minutes would be an extreme viewpoint.
 ChadsFormerStandIn
Msg: 131
Posted: 2/24/2012 8:58:59 PM
I know a person who does this. I serve a guy at our restaurant who has been walked out on at least three times that I know of in the middle of a date.
 cooldog65
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2012 9:52:31 PM
^^^^^
Time to change restaurants.

You do look like Chad Kroeger from 5 to 10 years ago. Nickelback was better then, too. You could pull off the cousin bit and you would be too busy to be here.
 ChadsFormerStandIn
Msg: 133
Posted: 2/24/2012 10:13:27 PM
If only I were a true sleaze!!
 Robyn106
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2012 9:17:31 PM
Maybe her hungry dog was in the parking lot and ate her.
 greeneyedgardener
Msg: 135
Posted: 2/25/2012 9:27:34 PM
That's pretty extreme, but she obviously didn't feel a connection. Honestly, I'd rather have a gal leave than fake a good time. That's just me.
Posted: 2/26/2012 5:27:02 AM
I was once out on a date
with a woman who wrestled rattlesnakes
I asked her if she'd wrestle me?
She said, the snakes are better company....
(get back, Bill)

ah, the dates from hell. I had two.....long ago.

But seriously, I have an honest question? I know some folks will grossly misrepresent themselves.......and want to stick to a real specific agenda, but there's this thing puzzling me:
If you have any kind of extensive communication with a person before you ever meet them.....several pretty lengthy emails....a few telephone conversations that go on a bit - then how does one get so blindsided? (as if - you know - blind date?)

Just a tad curious - could this phenom be a byproduct of lack of pre-communication? (A sort of pre-date screening, don'tcha know.)

Just supposing: I had this fab pre-date screening, with a woman who misrepresented herself by a solid hundred pounds, but on the phone I discovered she was awesomely entertaining with a brilliant wit (eccentric) and upon meeting, discovered the extra hundredweight........would I throw a fit? No.
I'd enjoy what there was to enjoy at the time (the wit) and leave it at that.
I mean - how did we get so corporate and Republican in our dating habits?

A date from hell is what it is (even them, I stuck out, chivalrous to the end.)

- and as to suspicous pics: Though I'm 60, I have the hair of a 30 year-old. And I will NOT apologize for that! (um, laugh out loud.) Without that hair, I'd look like a Ferengi.
 golfs51
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 11:15:03 PM
Good for you girl, you may have saved your own life . I hope this taught you a lesson . I had a simular experience yrs ago and it taught me . Who cares about being RUDE or not , if the guy is nasty , ungroomed , drunk , obnoxious etc, he doesnt deserve tact . Take this from a gal ( widowed ) who is 73 . Yeah , thats right and believe me the pickins out there in my age bracket can and are just as bad . lol
 Artemis29
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2012 12:03:24 AM
The only guy I ever actually bailed out on was a dude that showed up drunk... ordered the most expensive thing on the menu, plus a bottle of expensive wine, which he drank himself, made an ass of himself with the waitress, then said he had left his wallet at home and could I get the bill.... I told him I left my wallet in my car and went out "to get it" and drove away.

I did call the place and apologize to the waitress .
 cooldog65
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2012 1:13:41 AM
^^^^^
Time for wallet/purse check at the door.
 damsel19
Msg: 140
Posted: 2/27/2012 3:36:42 AM
I agree, once that phone comes out and is used, I would do the same and make the excuses and leave first.
 damsel19
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/27/2012 3:42:30 AM
5) Badly dressed and poorly groomed.
6) Unattractive way of speaking and tone of voice, huge one for me.
7) Asks almost straight up if we are going to meet again before deciding to buy a drink.
8) Lied about height and/or weight.
 damsel19
Msg: 142
Posted: 2/27/2012 3:47:48 AM
Did you not see his pics before you met? Toupe and all? He may have sensed your reaction as well and decided to just disappear. You at least had a recent clear pic of yourself so he was not fooled there, surely.
 yourdancepartner4life
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2012 4:28:08 PM
There is actually a book out with creative ways to escape a bad date. Is it possible you are a bad date? Posting a pic is something most people want to see.
 OyVay...
Msg: 144
Posted: 2/27/2012 4:38:50 PM
dip, NEVER wait 2 months to meet, if she won't meet after 2 weeks, cut bait!

2 months, well your on line, how many contacts do you have in 2 months? Don't forget, women get more. She could have met someone else, but wanted to be sure she was more interested in him than you. So she met you, then blew you off after.

It happens. My yardstick is 10 or so emails, 5 phone calls, this should take 10 days to 2 weeks, depending on how often someone is online. If at the end of the 10 days to 14 day period they don't want a face to face, they are wasting your time!

NEXT!!
 UniquelyPassionateCandy
Msg: 145
Posted: 2/27/2012 5:12:33 PM
I have only walked out once...and it was before I met him, but I saw him across the room. He didn't see me, but I realized that he had lied about how he looked (not so recent pics)...I was not going to waste my time with somebody who clearly wasn't honest with me.

IF I do meet somebody now, I stick to a quick coffee as a first meet. At least that way it doesn't have to go longer then I choose to. If we have met and got past that, THEN I will make a date.
 slpboo
Msg: 146
Posted: 2/27/2012 5:19:39 PM
^^ lol My friend met a guy at a mall and saw him from afar (the guy was 30 lbs heavier than what was in his pics) and my friend told him, "I just got a flat tire"
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Walking Out during First Meet