Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Beards??? What is going on?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Beards??? What is going on?Page 2 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

choosing to go around purposly looking like a slob or bum 24/7 isnt the same as a fashion statement like shoes or glasses

Says you. Some of us could give a rat's azz what GQ says,but obviously you and a few others do. Maybe some of them are giving the middle finger to society because they just about had enough of alllllll you sheeple following the fashion "trends"(go look up the word,you'll probably be stunned at what kind of FOLLOWER you are).

I find it amusing anyone comes on here and whines about the fat ones, the skinny ones, the blonde ones, the bald ones,the long haired hippie ones, the bearded ones, the mustached ones, well, ya getting the picture yet. We have people that believe a "suit" will make the man, and eye lashes and hair colour "make" the woman. So be it. But don't think the rest of us are following your thoughts. We actually have our own brains, and know better, thank you very much.

More money is "wasted" keeping up to the NEVER ENDING changes of fashion. If ya get old enough, you can actually start recycling your clothes and STILL be in fashion. Think about how retarded (go look that one up too) that is. Especially with our economic situation as it is today. In fact, go to any mall right now,,,,another definition of retarded.
 spitfire_32
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Beards??? What is going on?
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:55:02 PM
You are right..It is a preference, although I dont think its ultra picky..I was asking a question and yes..venting a little. I think that if someone was smelly on a date, you might not want to go out with them again either, so if they look like something from " deliverance" then I dont have to see them. And as for one picture, I never said "One picture". I said when they are currently growing it out. Are you saying that if a girl has a cleavage shot, you wont date her?? Because then I say..whats the difference..he could shave his beard, and she could cover up her cleavage.. Are you ultra picky too?
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:59:56 PM
No..if I wouldn't date a girl with a cleavage shot I'd never date. (Although I don't really bother with the online dating thing so much..I purposely changed my profile to discourage people). I did however say that it's something I find annoying. But like Walt put so passionately personal preferences are just that..and it you're not seeing pictures on a guys profile and saying "Eww I won't date him cause he had a beard" then it's not ultra picky. But at least take the time to know...is my point.
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:03:09 PM

but I didn't just completely discount the person because of one stupid photo.

One stupid picture of an otherwise attractive person is not the same as a picture or series of pictures of a person with a feature that makes them unattractive to you--and that is all the OP is saying. If she doesn't like that type of look, she's entitled to discount those people.

And yes, a guy can shave his beard-but how well received would an email be that says, "Hey, I think you sound interesting. Will you shave the beard and post a 2nd pic so i can decide if I'm attracted to your looks? I hate that kind of beard but I can't promise I'd like you without it, either."

I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that some men don't realize a beard is a turn off to a lot of women (and a turn on for others). Hearing about it might help them decide if they are that interested in being bearded--if it is not a big deal to them and they aren't getting dates, they might consider changing it. Just like a woman might change her looks with make up or hair color or whatever if she's not getting the results she wants. And anyone who doesn't care about people who don't like beards is perfectly welcome to choose to leave theirs as is.
 moraima
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:04:20 PM
Winter in the Great White North might be an excuse for some men to grow facial hair.

Icicles (which many men have attached to the facial) are disgusting. I don't want to know what caused the icicles..............(sneeze and drippy noses etc.).

My favourite excuse for facial hair is that the man has sensitive skin, so he doesn't want to shave. Yet he expects the women to put up with facial hair skin burns on the women caused by his facial hair. Please don't say that facial hair doesn't damage the women skin. That is just another excuse.

When I used to look at the meet me profiles, approx. 75% of the men had facial hair in my area. Delete, delete, delete.
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:07:24 PM
It's a talking point! You could tease the guy. "EWWW Is that a rat or a beard on your face? :P"

Seems pretty simple to me IDK why this is so complicated. She specifically said "An attractive guy but when you click on the profile he has a bunch of pictures where he has a beard.." so she's saying he's attractive except for his beard. We haven't established anything beyond photos of a guy with a beard.
 KatWing123
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:07:39 PM

Not weird, but it’s called stereotyping.

No it's not. Stereotyping would be to saying that I would NEVER talk to/approach/meet/date someone with a goatee. I just said that that I'm not fond of them. Oy...people sure like to pick fights around here.
 ohenryx
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:17:33 PM

Gwendolyn2010:

it has been my experience that closely clipped facial hair can cause discomfort and irritation in, ahem, certain sexual situations, but that's just my experience.

I remember when Don Johnson in Miami Vice made the "haven't shaved in 3 days" look popular. I always wondered how those male movie stars could maintain that look day after day in front of the camera. Then a woman explained to me that they sell electric clippers designed to keep your facial hair at exactly that length. Duh....

Personally, I find facial hair at that length to be excessively itchy. After about 4 or 5 days, it's either shave or go crazy from the itching.
 Walts
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:22:14 PM

Icicles (which many men have attached to the facial) are disgusting. I don't want to know what caused the icicles..............

Most of the time it's caused by breathing. Ya know exhaling of your lungs in -30 degree weather while outside actually doing things. Not snot or spit, or whatever you want to imagine. But of course, if you want to imagine "disgusting" things you will.

I wonder if Santa is looking down upon some of you today, or if he's stll drunk on his egg nog?????? Ya better hope he's still sippin.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:29:50 PM

Says you. Some of us could give a rat's azz what GQ says,but obviously you and a few others do. Maybe some of them are giving the middle finger to society because they just about had enough of alllllll you sheeple following the fashion "trends"(go look up the word,you'll probably be stunned at what kind of FOLLOWER you are).

I am less of a “sheeple” than just about anyone whom I know personally and, from reading a vast array of posts in these forums, among the people on POF, as well. That doesn’t mean that I do not like to LOOK GOOD—I don’t follow fashion trends but I dress well. I find that men and women who tend to dress sloppily aren’t defying trends but do so for comfort, like obese women who wear muu-muus and obese men who wear sweats. Dressing well does not mean being uncomfortable. If I care about my appearance, why would I date of be seen in public with a man who doesn’t care about his? I also find it hypocritical that some men who dress badly like a woman who dresses well—what’s up with that?

One stupid picture of an otherwise attractive person is not the same as a picture or series of pictures of a person with a feature that makes them unattractive to you--and that is all the OP is saying. If she doesn't like that type of look, she's entitled to discount those people.

Spot on! In fact, I can’t remember seeing a picture of a guy in an “unacceptable” beard who didn’t have the beard in ALL of his pictures.

I remember when Don Johnson in Miami Vice made the "haven't shaved in 3 days" look popular. I always wondered how those male movie stars could maintain that look day after day in front of the camera. Then a woman explained to me that they sell electric clippers designed to keep your facial hair at exactly that length. Duh....

I remember ads for those clippers!

Not weird, but it’s called stereotyping.

It isn’t stereotyping to turn someone down because of the way he/she looks; if a woman doesn’t like a full beard, she won’t like it on anyone. I can think of exceptions, i.e. a man she is already dating grows a beard.
 getanet
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:35:17 PM
Blame the last trend: the METROSEXUAL.

Guys are still creeped out by that one and ran in the opposite direction to INSURE they are never confused for a METROSEXUAL.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:36:00 PM
quit b|tching and move on to the next profile. no one is obligated to please you.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:41:46 PM

I understand not dating a guy who keeps a scraggly beard. I do. But again the impression I'm getting is if they even SEE that he's EVER had a scraggly beard it's a problem. "Eww a picture with a scraggly beard I can't talk to him"

Isn't the profile supposed to be who you are and isn't your picture supposed to
present an idea of what you look like? People scroll through pictures, it's usually
the first thing they notice. Why would someone post a picture of a scraggly beard
and expect people would respond to it?

Would that it was all about "it's what's inside that counts", we all know it isn't.
People are visual and they do judge by your cover.

If I saw a picture of a guy with a scraggly beard, I wouldn't even bother reading
his profile. Same goes with someone with a mean face, someone making a rude
gesture, someone wearing dirty, ripped clothes. Maybe if I saw them in person
I'd talk to them, but in here, your picture and your profile do the talking for you.
 cutenperky2
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:50:17 PM
beards are ok mustaches are another story yick
 Womac911
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 1:55:02 PM
For me, I have a beard because I don't like the lines of my face without one. I shaved it off once back in 2009, and hated it. I try to keep it trimmed up, but sometimes get so busy I forget about it.
Now.. the ZZ Top thing is a bit too much, for sure, especially if they don't maintain it.
 Maleman999
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 2:42:19 PM
OP: I guess if Jesus was to come back to earth and ask you out on a date, I assume you would turn him down. If you think other guys beards are scraggly, think of how scraggly a beard would look if someone hasn't shaved in over 2,000 years.
 spitfire_32
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 2:55:51 PM
Again, it was just a topic, not a life changing mission, but thanks for the advice. Sorry I got feathers ruffled. No one needs to conform to my standards, nor do I think I speak for all women.. Also if I choose to go on a crusade, I'm hoping I find a much better cause. I like everyone else on this site am allowed to pose a thought or question is I feel the want too. If the topic displeases you, you don't need to comment, just like you feel I do not need to "b*tch about it," I am a thicker girl and people complain about that on here all the time and I don't get my panties in a bunch about it, so hopefully most of us, just took this for what it was for..interesting discussion..

PS.. maleman999, I doubt Id be Jesus' type, really.
 Arsha86
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:03:16 PM
Nothing wrong with a beard as long as its well trimmed. Wish I can grow a proper one :(
 valenciacityx
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:17:53 PM
I shave in the morning... and I had better shave again at lunch.
it sucks, I hate it. So I shave at night, before I go to bed, and rock the Don Johnson 80s scruff all day - as I have since I was 16; any time I was not in uniform - the scruff was out.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:18:02 PM

quit b|tching and move on to the next profile. no one is obligated to please you.

Although I have said much the same thing, if people really took this advice, what would be write about in the forums?

For me, I have a beard because I don't like the lines of my face without one.

Womac, your beard isn't out of control--it is trimmed and neat. It isn't the first thing that a woman would notice about you.

OP: I guess if Jesus was to come back to earth and ask you out on a date, I assume you would turn him down. If you think other guys beards are scraggly, think of how scraggly a beard would look if someone hasn't shaved in over 2,000 years.

Jesus didn't date and he is reported to have been celibate--not what most women are looking for.

Again, it was just a topic, not a life changing mission,

Some of us took it for just that.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:43:27 PM

Right. Like scruffy beards displease you but somehow you felt compelled to start a thread about it and then complain about all the answers you got that displeased you. Excuse me, I guess you only wanted to hear from the people in your personal cheering section. I'm betting you're pretty hard to please. Better add that to your profile. "I ****ing hate scruffy beards, what's going on." Rah rah, let's all hate on those guys with scruffy beards... Some ****ing guy on the internet stuck his scruffy beard right in my eyeball. WHAT'S GOING ON???

This is way out of line--neither the OP's topic nor her opinions in any way deserve the vitriol, contempt, and hate expressed in this post.

I see another thread headed for deletion because some people simply cannot control their tempers.

Alas.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:44:12 PM

Right. Like scruffy beards displease you but somehow you felt compelled to start a thread about it and then complain about all the answers you got that displeased you. Excuse me, I guess you only wanted to hear from the people in your personal cheering section. I'm betting you're pretty hard to please. Better add that to your profile. "I fucking hate scruffy beards, what's going on." Rah rah, let's all hate on those guys with scruffy beards... Some fucking guy on the internet stuck his scruffy beard right in my eyeball. WHAT'S GOING ON???

bingo. her complaints are entitled to full airing, those of others are not.
 spitfire_32
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:44:28 PM
And some people just want to argue. ..this coming from the person with no pic and the single most negative profile Ive ever read..so I think I'll hate on bitter, argumentative people who have opinions without showing their faces online.."easy to hide behind your computer" like some have said..obviously some people decided they thought it was relevant, because many more than you chose to comment. And I welcome opinions different than mine, just not yours.

Christ on a crutch, I see you comment on many post and rarely agree with you, but I dont see the need to attack you for it.
 NuttyGooner82
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:53:05 PM
I quite like facial hair, I like nifty, trimmed beards... If we're talking ZZ Top, then yes, i agree, that's going a bit too far on the hairy side
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:57:19 PM

Christ on a crutch, I see you comment on many post and rarely agree with you, but I dont see the need to attack you for it.

any time you see me start a thread complaining about harmless choices others make that do not affect me, you're free to point out my egocentrism.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Beards??? What is going on?