Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Can food change your mood?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 onlydateIF
Msg: 23
Can food change your mood?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
While I wasn't passionate enough to verify this for myself, a friend who is a ND told me there is a clinic or mental hospital somewhere in Oregon who is treating their schizophrenic pt's by removing Gluten from their diets as well as having them on a multi- B regimen. I'm curious what the connection is, if it's a gene mutation, allergy or what. Of course this is an extreme ex to your question, but still, pretty interesting too!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Can food change your mood?
Posted: 1/21/2012 7:35:41 PM
In my experience, yes, mood is certainly affected by nutrition. Hungry people tend to be more testy than well fed ones, obviously, and there are all manner of variations on mood effects that this or that nutritional imbalance can result from.

What makes everything tricky, is that people are not identical. Someone who has trouble processing foods that provide others with what they need to have a good balance of vitamins and such, will benefit more from a vitamin supplement regimen than someone who does NOT have that problem. Therefore, no one can write up a set of things to eat that will work for everyone.

I think of the body like any other machine. Like a car, if you like. If your car is behaving poorly, and the reason is that it's low on clean oil, then changing or topping off the oil will fix it. If your car has the right amount of oil in it already, adding another quart of even the best oil on the planet, will actually cause it to malfunction.

Your body is the same way. We don't yet have a cost effective and reliable way to tell whether you have specific eating or supplement requirements that can help you or not. You have to experiment.

What adds to the trickiness is, that reality itself can trigger mood shifts as well. You might be tense and depressed because you aren't eating right, but it could also be because your job prospects suck, and your local pool of potential mates is full of the opposites of who you get along with.

Given all that, it's still worth finding your best nutritional balance. At least if you are eating right for your needs, you can be cheerfully depressed , or optimistically tense.
 0ldhag
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/25/2012 10:15:43 AM
My brother was extremely hyper...

My mom took him to a health food docter and after testing him they said he was alergic to the color red...

Yes, i'm not lying..

After my mother eliminiate red clothing, red food, red everything he became the calmest child you ever met...

So I do belive, it must be true..
 errant71
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2012 3:00:11 PM
There's a group called the Institute for Brain Potential that does national one-day conferences on new developments in brain research. They do one called "Food for Thought: How Nutrients Affect Mental Health and the Brain".

It's great ... and costs less than an arm and a leg ...
 Landra2
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2012 3:10:53 PM
Yes, 100% of the time, if not more.
It can change your physical and emotional health.
 Ms Cheevious
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:09:00 PM
Hell yeah!

Plant me in front of an excellent buffet and watch my frown turn upside down!
 Aphrodeity
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2012 4:33:01 PM
Definitely, food can affect mood.
 Aphrodeity
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2012 4:36:01 PM
Wait for the side effects of high carbohydrate consumption. LOL!
 onlydateIF
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/15/2012 9:52:11 PM
Good nutrition is essential! I consider everything I put in my mouth-if it has no nutritional benefit it's in the 'well maybe once every couple years' category.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2012 1:22:15 AM

Hungry people tend to be more testy than well fed ones

^^^^^^^^^^^
We must have met!!!

Wait for the side effects of high carbohydrate consumption. LOL!

^^^^^^^^^^
I find a potato is very calming.

Watermelon makes me happy.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/19/2012 5:20:05 AM
My youngest son is an extreme example- brittle diabetic for many years...his blood sugar really affects his moods...I notice when i eat bad carbs or too many carbs, I crash later...even though I am not a diabetic...also feel better when I follow a routine (eat same time daily)

too much sodium-yikes- then when I cut it out I am "Princess Running Water" LOL!
 StrongArmsNeeded
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:53:34 PM
Thank you for posting this.......

Yes it can. For me anyway and my mini-me's that is. I have been experimenting for years now.

We try and stay away from processed foods and such, I would say this has made a remarkable difference to our lifestyle.

I also train very hard, so I need to eat a lot of protein (to repair) and calories so watch what I eat and have a food diary. If I eat a cake the day before training with chocolate and processed foods, my body does not like training the next day, my body is so sluggish, not nice.

Also with all the different chemicals that our bodies are not used to being thrown into foods, it is no wonder so many people have asthma and such. My child being one of them. We have stopped all wheat for one child, the difference is unbelievable. But then again that is my one child, everyone is different... I am just saying form what we do...

I have been on a candida diet for over two years, (even my water was from a glass bottle or straight from a spring) now I am on a more relaxed one paleo, it works for me, my children are of course not on it, but they do follow a lot of what I do, lots of non processed foods....

Anyway, thanks off now xxxxxxxxx
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/16/2012 2:39:09 PM

Not only can it change your mood but these researchers concluded that Sugar can make you stupid.

Sugar makes you stupid: Study shows high-fructose diet sabotages learning, memory
May 15, 2012 in Health
Provided by University of California, Los Angeles

Attention, college students cramming between midterms and finals: Binging on soda and sweets for as little as six weeks may make you stupid.

A new UCLA rat study is the first to show how a diet steadily high in fructose slows the brain, hampering memory and learning — and how omega-3 fatty acids can counteract the disruption. The peer-reviewed Journal of Physiology publishes the findings in its May 15 edition.

"Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think," said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a professor of integrative biology and physiology in the UCLA College of Letters and Science. "Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain's ability to learn and remember information. But adding omega-3 fatty acids to your meals can help minimize the damage."

While earlier research has revealed how fructose harms the body through its role in diabetes, obesity and fatty liver, this study is the first to uncover how the sweetener influences the brain.

The UCLA team zeroed in on high-fructose corn syrup, an inexpensive liquid six times sweeter than cane sugar, that is commonly added to processed foods, including soft drinks, condiments, applesauce and baby food. The average American consumes more than 40 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup per year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"We're not talking about naturally occurring fructose in fruits, which also contain important antioxidants," explained Gomez-Pinilla, who is also a member of UCLA's Brain Research Institute and Brain Injury Research Center. "We're concerned about high-fructose corn syrup that is added to manufactured food products as a sweetener and preservative."

Gomez-Pinilla and study co-author Rahul Agrawal, a UCLA visiting postdoctoral fellow from India, studied two groups of rats that each consumed a fructose solution as drinking water for six weeks. The second group also received omega-3 fatty acids in the form of flaxseed oil and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which protects against damage to the synapses — the chemical connections between brain cells that enable memory and learning.

Read more at: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-05-sugar-stupid-high-fructose-diet-sabotages.html
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2012 9:24:04 AM
As a vegetarian I eat whole foods and limit my intake of processed products.Haven't noticed a particular food having an effect on my mood. I rarely eat to excess burt when I do I feel sluggish and want to get out and do something physical. Exercise (or lack of) has more impact. I definitely 'feel good' pushing my body when the tummy is full.
 smartaleck
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/20/2012 7:09:52 PM
No doubt. I read this book quite some time ago. I'm sure it has been updated a bit since, but I think it is still worth reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Managing-Your-Mind-Mood-Through/dp/006097138X
 guignol1971
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2012 7:32:25 PM
Yes. I have been testing foods as mood alterants on my
own self for over a decade and I can say for certain that
what I eat affects my moods.
 Firebrand
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/22/2012 3:47:11 AM
Absolutely. However, it depends on what you eat.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/24/2012 3:09:15 PM
Absolutely 100 percent true. I eat very healthy most of the time and keep a conscious eye on what food does to me. Well Sunday without thinking we were camping and one of my friends brought a bunch of junk food. Thinking no big deal once in a while I ate some. Monday I was slow,sluggish , DEPRESSED ,moody and tired all day. It finally occurred to me it was from the trash food. It's taken me a few days to recover from it . I have suggested before to my friends to keep a journal of how food makes them feel.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/19/2012 6:17:47 AM
Allthegoodna

A wild, unqualified exaggeration........wheres the support links/cites for this statement?

If someone is doing all the right things how do they make themselves healthier?

The improvements that people are reporting in their health is due to the fact that they are no longer doing things that are detrimental to their health, thus you can not improve your health.

It would be like saying that I can improve the gas mileage in my car, and then I remove the kayak, mt bike and roof racks from my car.

So yes my car now gets better fuel millage as a result, but in reality I was just making it worse and those changes just brought it back to where it normally should be, thus I did not improve my millage I just brought it back to where it should be.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/19/2012 8:41:36 AM

Where is the supporting cites/links for this?

Unfortunately there are no links that support common sense explanations.

Though if you think you have something that disproves what I have said please feel free to bring it forward or keep posting asking for links that a first year biology student could understand.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2012 9:15:59 AM

It would be like saying that I can improve the gas mileage in my car, and then I remove the kayak, mt bike and roof racks from my car.

"Feed your car" the gas the manufacturer says to use that is best for it..Clean that throttle body thats gunked up with carbon every couple of years.
Stop with the lead foot.

Your bike would not affect it as much as your driving habits and how you treat your car..
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2012 2:21:38 PM
No, current food choice (of the day) doesn't change my mood. Eating a healthy diet and being fit probably gives me a better mood in the greater scheme of things.

Unlike guys I'm working or out hiking with, I rarely get hungry. I like food but don't crave it. I can go a day without eating if I'm physically active especially when out in Nature. My girlfriend will sometimnes tell me 'you should eat something'.
 Robbie29803
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/22/2012 7:35:25 PM
Your GI tract controls 90% of your seratonin levels and 50% of your dopamine levels.....stress can affect how your body tends to absorb foods, if dealing with stress, get on a 25 billion cfu probiotic and eat better, will definately notice a rise in mood/better sleep and able to process carbohydrates better.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Can food change your mood?