Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > NEW Inbox Format - POST ALL ISSUES HERE (inc      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lovedrop1
Msg: 51
Inbox subject lines all say view messagePage 3 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
This is to all who want their subject lines back! Right on top of this page you're looking at, one of the options above in blue is help. Click on that, takes you to FAQ, then at the bottom it says if this doesn't help, click here. Click it, more worthless stuff, but then you get the option to write an email to "Marcus". I used their factory subject line something is wrong, and reported it. Would some of you do the same, please? They people in charge of fixing things do NOT read these forums. Join me in my crusade. By the way, the subject lines DO help. I question all these girls I go out with about such matters. Regards and good luck fishing. Robbie
 happycouple318
Msg: 52
Inbox subject lines all say view message
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:42:28 PM
There are only a few reasonable possibilities here. Three, to be exact.

1. They'll be charging for the ability to see subject lines or have your subject line highlighted by being shown. Doesn't seem likely. Too flaky a "feature". Basic functionality isn't a "feature".

2. There's a problem with whatever they use to generate the webpages. It's not a database problem; the fact that subject lines still show up when you open a message means they're still in the database. We're just seeing the default subject used when one isn't present, which is a bug if accidental and leads to...

3. If the above is happening intentionally, then it's to gather statistics regarding how well a response one gets based on subject line. A reference set of statistics is necessary to determine a change from the probability that a message is read if there are no subject lines -- a fixed reference point to measure from, so-to-speak.

If it's number 2 and they're smart, they're taking the opportunity for number 3.

In any case, unless it's something broken in the actual language they use to generate pages or a proprietary tech they don't own, they'll get it fixed soon. If it IS something like that, there will be a wait and then after enough time more hassles while they migrate to a new tech -- but they'd likely make it worth having stuck around once the move is done.

/bow

Hope this helps!
 BigFish
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:56:11 PM
moving to threaded messaging soon.
 feelgooddrag2
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 7:39:39 AM
^ whats that mean? [threaded msgs]
 HawkingJr
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 8:03:00 AM
"whats that mean? [threaded msgs]"

Isn't that how Gmail is? Your inbox only shows the most recent message of your conversation with someone, and all the other messages within that conversation are "threaded" beneath it and you have to do a certain click to expand the thread such that the entire conversation is visible.

By doing that, POF will significantly reduce inbox clutter for users with tons of messages. Right now you might have 150 messages in your inbox, but from only 25 different people, so after threading, you'd only see 25 messages upon initially opening your in box. Certainly would be a welcome enhancement for many if that is indeed what he's talking about.

However, I don't see how that strongly correlates to the original subject of this, uh, thread. In Gmail, certainly all of the first emails of my "conversations" still have unique subject lines.
 Aries_328
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 8:10:09 AM
Threaded messages are when all the messages within a single conversation are grouped together by subject line.

Not sure how this will work out with subject lines with "Hi" in them :)

To get an idea open any mail that you have had multiple messages back and forth and click "view all messages" It would be that idea but with only the subject lines.

Yeah, I wonder if it will restrict grouping to only specific users with same subject or if everyone who sends a "Hi" or "Nice Profile" would roll up under one heading.

Also, conversation views are much more effective with more modern html methods so I wonder if that is part of the plan as well. A little canvas updating maybe...
 BigFish
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 9:56:50 AM
Also vast majority of messages don't have subject lines anyways as everyones using the quick message which just says hi.
 TheCritic
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 2:37:12 PM
Proper Subject lines attribute I would say to about 20-25% greater response rate..

For a person who has been using POF for the past 8-9 years or so, I have developed a perfect system to maximize the response rate on this site.. While many people get a response rate of 5-10%, mine is in 40-50%.. Why?

Because unlike most people, I actually have thought over and created several working "systems" to get greater results and feed back, which allowed me to go out on multiple dates a week over the past few years.

Now one of those "key system tricks" is proper SUBJECT LINE titles.. While many women are visual in nature, many also look for humor and/or intellectual challenges. And a simple thing like a Titled Line vs the generic "HI" sets you far above the rest.. Not to mention, my own patented trick which has been discussed and evaluated by many dating experts, is diversifying my messages from others by using GIFTS in the messages.. When a user adds a gift, the message becomes RED, and gives you a huge advantage over the fact that your target would read it or not.. I have already identified it and use it to the maximum.

Anyone who says TITLED SUBJECT lines make no difference is clearly a noob to the dating world, and has to think twice or consult a professional before making such claims.

BRING BACK BRING BACK BRING BACK THE SUBJECT LINES!
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/12/2012 2:42:38 PM

For a person who has been using POF for the past 8-9 years or so, I have developed a perfect system to maximize the response rate on this site.. While many people get a response rate of 5-10%, mine is in 40-50%.. Why?

Dunning–Kruger effect.

Maybe you should read, read, read the thread and you will see why it is gone and if it is coming back or not.
 psytle
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 3:14:57 PM

Proper Subject lines attribute I would say to about 20-25% greater response rate..

Anyone who says TITLED SUBJECT lines make no difference is clearly a noob to the dating world, and has to think twice or consult a professional before making such claims.

I figure that whatever the motivation for the ambiguation of the message subject lines (assuming that it's an intentional PoF design choice), it at least levels the playing field for those new people that are unaware of strategies/tricks/algorithms/whatever related to subject lines.

I mean, yeesh, I'm kind of glad I don't have to waste any more time in thinking of catchy unique message titles any more to garner attention, and can instead focus more on communicating my interest in someone. After all, isn't that one of the biggest reasons for messages in the first place?
 Aries_328
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 3:21:16 PM

Maybe you should read, read, read the thread and you will see why it is gone and if it is coming back or not

Hahaha Even highlighting that in BIG RED LETTERS doesn't make that happen :)
 The_ONLY_Unique_1
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 7:41:19 PM
Is there any possible way POF Administration can give the MEMBERS some sort of "heads up" before they make additional STUPID changes and deletions???? First the smilie icons (such as those on the bar to the right of THIS message) were removed and replaced with :number: and then our choice to see if messages were read or deleted was removed (oh you have to PAY for that option) then our own PROFILE formats were changed and now we can't even give e-mails an individual subject name. Not a good way to keep customers happy.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/12/2012 7:48:23 PM

...and now we can't even give e-mails an individual subject name. Not a good way to keep customers happy.

Two points:

1- You can still make the subject line anything you want and the owner of the site has posted on this thread with regards to why the change and what is going on.

2- Until you start paying, you are not a customer, you are merely a user.
 TheCritic
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 9:42:31 PM
1- You can still make the subject line anything you want and the owner of the site has posted on this thread with regards to why the change and what is going on.

No no one from POF has posted on this thread and explained anything.. is it still a bug? Where is the official explanation for what is going on?

Message 1 insert - Shortcut to Admin/BigFish response to why this is happening - Click HERE

Aries_328
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 9:47:07 PM
BigFish says:

moving to threaded messaging soon
 TheCritic
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 10:02:12 PM
I see.. alright then.. Any update on when that is going to happen?

Also I got a quick question regarding FISH POINTS : you know how we can not see if our messages been READ/UNREAD etc.. It says we need 5 fishpoints to UNLOCK The feature forever is this correct? But the minimum number of fishpoints we can buy is 20? Why cant we just buy 5?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2012 5:37:57 AM
His FIRST post doesn't really answer anything. As I said before, pretty much every threaded message system in existence still uses unique subject lines -- you ever seen "View Message" as a subject line on Gmail? One really has nothing to do with the other.

His SECOND post is much closer to some kind of answer to the original question... just not a good one:

"Also vast majority of messages don't have subject lines anyways as everyones using the quick message which just says hi."

If anything, that's an argument:

1) To allow users to change the subject line of quick messages AGAIN (as originally we had this option and for some reason it was taken away; in fact, I stopped using quick messaging when that happened because I wanted my emails to continue having unique subject lines).

2) For inbox messages to continue having unique subject lines, since the "vast majority" are not using them, because it allows the minority of us who do use them to stand out. Why level the playing field for the lemmings? Isn't this survival of the fittest here? If you don't come up with a strategy to compete for the site's scarce resources, then why should the site save you from your own mediocrity?

All that said... I still have yet to see a post from a woman (other than Miss Allison, who's talking about something else entirely) claiming unique subject lines make a dime of difference, so I still doubt this will have any great effect on the site overall or for very many individuals. Though I agree with Allison, I can't possibly see how this is a good thing for event planners. Looking at my inbox, I now have no idea which emails are from event planners, except those who have sent me so many that I've memorized their handles.

"2- Until you start paying, you are not a customer, you are merely a user."

Until site traffic has no effect on POF's bottom line, "users" are as important as "customers." Let's see how many billions Facebook would be worth without any "users." You can't dismiss the contributions and complaints of users on a site that depends on page views and advertising revenue for its profits.
 maenad
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2012 6:29:40 AM
I think this change is awful

Everyone should post here stating their views on this!!

that's my 2 seashells worth...
 Aries_328
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2012 9:39:07 AM
Looks like threaded messages are being rolled in now. Inbox went from lots of 'view message' to all messages rolled up by user.

Instead of an email it is now a conversation. Seems that the concept of 'subject line' is gone. More like a really long, slow chat.

A bit confusing at first but it seems that the conversation descends. Older messages on top and newer are at the bottom.

Only option is a 'quick reply' and there is no ability to attach images and still no legend for smilies.

Not sure if this is final. I guess we will see.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/14/2012 9:48:28 AM
I would imagine they can be done with the view all messages feature as this will become redundant if the new format rolls out as you have outlined. I have to say having all the messages rolled out like that makes it easier to cheat and see what has been communicated so far. I would imagine that is going to be a plus for all those who are communicating with a multitude over a 20 day period or for some of us with really bad memories.
 CooPerson
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/14/2012 9:51:19 AM
Just go to their profile, send them a new message and you get the old options of sending gifts, extra pictures, smilies, monthly rose, etc...
Once it's sent it auto gets attached to the long, slow chat.
Justs takes an extra step, bit annoying but its better than not having it at all.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/14/2012 9:54:54 AM
Although it is nice not having to click on "View All Messages" to see previously exchanged messages, the elimination of the subject line will limit the ability to capture a person's attention with a creative subject line header. Also, having to scroll through all of the messages to see the latest one is problematic. I hope this is not the final incarnation of this.
 Unguided Tourist
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/14/2012 9:58:26 AM
Eventually everyone will get used to this generic subject line so the recipient's expectations will be tamed and the playing field will be on even par, for lack of a better term.
 BigFish
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2012 9:58:30 AM
The goal here is to make it better for people to use the site.

I've now rolled everything into "conversations" its not threading messages because if you contacted 100 people and no one replied they will not show up in the inbox. A huge problem was lots of people sending 20 messages back and forth with someone and than it takes up the entire inbox.

I may swap the Profile Headline for subject line.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/14/2012 10:13:13 AM
Bigfish

If you could make it so the subject shows up on the same line as the User Name and date of the message, once someone clicks on "View Message", that would be better, IMO. At least that way, when someone is reviewing the conversations, they get a quick view of what that message was about.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > NEW Inbox Format - POST ALL ISSUES HERE (incl. subject lines & blocking issues)