Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Should Scotland vote yes for independance ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 475
view profile
History
Should Scotland vote yes for independance ?Page 20 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)

The EU controls every aspect of legislation in the UK and every EU member state.

100% of UK laws are passed through Westminster following the time honoured process of first reading, second reading, commitee stage, report stage and then third reading. This happens in both the House of Commons and the House of Lords and is followed by consideration of amendments and then finally royal assent. Claims that the EU make or control any UK laws are completely baseless. Once Scotland is independant it will be interesting to see what, if any, changes to this process are needed as Scotland will not have a second chamber to perform the vital function of keeping the politicians in check..........
 SGB2012
Msg: 476
view profile
History
Should Scotland vote yes for independance ?
Posted: 2/13/2012 7:36:23 AM

I'm not qualified enough to know which is true but like a growing number of my fellow Scots - I want my own country back.

As an Englishman you have my full sympathy, though unlike you I'd settle for a sovereign UK with a single parliament.

I really maintain that full Scottish independence will be a nightmare, the rights of someone will have to be trampled, violence will break out, there will be assets that will be indivisible. It might be better to replace the union with a confederation, two fully sovereign parliaments (ignoring brussels for a moment here) but a unified department of defence and foreign affairs.
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 477
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2012 7:47:23 AM
SGB2012,

I doubt the suggestion of a confederation would gain much support particularly if defence and foreign affairs are still controlled by Westminster. One of the greatest benefits to Scotland from independance will come from not having to send Scottish sons and daughters to kill and be killed in the illegal wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Lybia that the UK has been engaged in over the last decade.

Nor I suspect will the new Scottish government be keen on sending anyone from Scotland to get slaughtered in any illegal and immoral war with Iran on behalf of Israel and America. Scotlands serving men and women will be for the defence of Scotland and will not used to undertake acts of aggression against other nations for either resources or religious reasons.......
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 478
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2012 9:48:36 AM
I suspect the UK's defence forces and equipment will be moved back to the remaining UK and those Scottish serving men and women in the UK's armed Forces will be sent to kill and be killed in the illegal wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libyia.

A bit like Ireland's Army in the WWII, thousands or Irish soldiers enlisted in the British Forces and fought' though on their return after the war they were viciously victimised by those who sat by and did nothing!
 SGB2012
Msg: 479
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2012 11:24:32 AM
Nor I suspect will the new Scottish government be keen on sending anyone from Scotland to get slaughtered in any illegal and immoral war with Iran on behalf of Israel and America. Scotlands serving men and women will be for the defence of Scotland and will not used to undertake acts of aggression against other nations for either resources or religious reasons.......

Why do you believe that the Government of an independent Scotland will suddenly develop common sense or morality, concepts that are alien to those who wield power.

An independent Scotland will engage in Imperialism if it's delusions of grandeur and the corruptions of it's politicians are at sufficient levels. Afterall Scotland will have to do something to secure international aid and credit.

'England' however might finally realise it is no longer 1914.

MSG479, do you mean WW1?
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 480
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2012 11:37:59 AM

Why do you believe that the Government of an independent Scotland will suddenly develop common sense or morality, concepts that are alien to those who wield power.

Principally because they have said so very clearly.

http://news.stv.tv/election-2011/249638-first-minister-an-independent-scotland-would-not-have-taken-part-in-illegal-iraq-war/
 tartanterry
Msg: 481
Posted: 2/13/2012 2:17:32 PM
I think you will find that one of the reasons people have been voting for the SNP is that their politicians have run the devolved parliament with common sense and morality qualities that we see sadly lacking in Westminster as they play at childish point scoring and are underhand and deceitful.
 Tuskadero
Msg: 482
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 5:01:29 PM
The Sunday Times 12 2 12 had a survey which said Scotland , by balance, derived no subsidies from England/Wales/Ireland at all.
NE England got 22% and W&I lots more.....
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 483
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:40:22 PM
An interesting article in todays Guardian outlining some of the economic benefits to Scotland on independance...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/feb/15/independent-scotland-energy-fund-salmond

Alex Salmond said if Scotland had had full fiscal control since 1979, the nation would now have assets worth between £87bn and £117bn.

"Under independence we would make the best use of our unparalleled energy resources," he said. "We have 25% of Europe's tidal power potential, 25% of its offshore wind potential and 10% of its wave power potential – not bad for a nation with less than 1% of Europe's population.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Should Scotland vote yes for independance ?