Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What does a "serious relationship" mean to you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RunningFool7
Msg: 26
What does a serious relationship mean to you?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Serious relationship = the guy is 0 - 3 months away from looking for the perfect time/place to propose.

Monogamous commitment to me is dating someone exclusively, doesn't make it entirely "serious" though. Funny you mentioned "like a good friend". ;). Serious relationship is "like your best friend". Get it?
 Nathanwg
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What does a serious relationship mean to you?
Posted: 1/21/2012 9:23:01 PM
I believe that a "serious relationship" is one in which the two people involved are content to be together indefinately.
 goldenheart31
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 10:19:17 PM
So many people responded to this that a serious relationship is one intent on marriage. So if it doesn't extend to marriage, is the relationship then not serious?

I consider a serious relationship to be one in which you and your partner open yourself physically and emotionally to the other person. A relationship that has a profound effect on your life. The length of time you're together and the end goal are irrelevant (though that may just be because marriage means little to me). You can have a serious relationship in high school even though it doesn't end in marriage.

When you're in a serious relationship, you are fully committed to it. It's not like a casual relationship. You plan long term, whether marriage is in the discussion or not. But I think it's more based on mutual understanding than it is on a clearly defined end goal.
 qualityl
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 10:37:55 PM
Serious means you are taking your love relation to another level. One man and one woman. Get engaged and plan to tie the knot. Congratulation. ! Hope you are not marrying the guy I like. Lol
 southernbabe03
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/21/2012 11:12:00 PM
Since you said Serious Relationship, I have to agree with him.
Being in a relationship means exactly that.
Two people who are committed to each other.
Usually that will turn into marriage or they break up because one of them got tired of playing games.
A serious relationship does mean that it is going towards marriage.
If two people are dating, love each other, then, they are in a relationship.
If you don't love him enough to be in a relationship with him, tell him and let him go!
 Not_too_old
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/22/2012 1:18:53 AM
ok.. it is really simple....you are in a COMMITTED relationship..that means you and he won't date anyone else, have sex with anyone else,call anyone else, take profiles off the internet so you aren't even looking anymore, remove former people you dated out of your cellphone...you put on your facebook that you're in a relationship...it means you plan things together like birthdays, holidays, family gatherings, parties, dinners....weather you get married, live together of live in seperate places...you and him are an item. What is really so hard to understand this? If you can't commit to this man, then you better tell him now and let him move on..cuz' he is not going to want to play this game with you more then likely.
 SeaCatcher
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/22/2012 1:47:13 AM
what she said ....
 Dan0777
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/22/2012 2:38:38 AM
It means that you are truly in a relationship - duh ; ) - : your feelings, affections, loyalties, etc are for that person, not another one. And you can commit, or get invested. Something you can't do if you're immature or only after sex
 luvspjs
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/22/2012 8:50:48 AM
exclusive means your not dating , sleeping with anyone else. and if that is to a man somoene you could maybe spend life with then so be it
!
 02hdf150
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/22/2012 9:19:48 AM

ok.. it is really simple....you are in a COMMITTED relationship..that means you and he won't date anyone else, have sex with anyone else,call anyone else, take profiles off the internet so you aren't even looking anymore, remove former people you dated out of your cellphone...you put on your facebook that you're in a relationship...it means you plan things together like birthdays, holidays, family gatherings, parties, dinners....weather you get married, live together of live in seperate places...you and him are an item. What is really so hard to understand this? If you can't commit to this man, then you better tell him now and let him move on..cuz' he is not going to want to play this game with you more then likely.

Thanks Not too old for this. That's what it means to me as well. I don't understand how serious relationship automatically means marriage and proposing.
 egowitch
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/22/2012 12:43:44 PM
Since we can't predict the future, no matter how much we'd like to , I see a serious relationship as one that is monogamous, with mutual love and level of commitment - whatever "commitment" means to the people involved.
 qualityl
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2012 4:16:44 PM
Not to old, you are totally correct! Enjoyed reading it and hope it helps me in the dating drama.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2012 5:12:42 PM

So many people responded to this that a serious relationship is one intent on marriage. So if it doesn't extend to marriage, is the relationship then not serious?

I consider a serious relationship to be one in which you and your partner open yourself physically and emotionally to the other person. A relationship that has a profound effect on your life. The length of time you're together and the end goal are irrelevant (though that may just be because marriage means little to me). You can have a serious relationship in high school even though it doesn't end in marriage.

When you're in a serious relationship, you are fully committed to it. It's not like a casual relationship. You plan long term, whether marriage is in the discussion or not. But I think it's more based on mutual understanding than it is on a clearly defined end goal.

Yep, I'll go with this. To me it means a level of commitment in the here and now. You don't have to be getting married, plan to live together or anything else specifically traditional to be serious.
 Dan0777
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/23/2012 5:27:10 PM

Yep, I'll go with this. To me it means a level of commitment in the here and now. You don't have to be getting married, plan to live together or anything else specifically traditional to be serious.

If I may add: How you invest yourself into the relationship. Not having one foot in and one foot out, even if you're faithful. You're in 100% and carry through.

That to me is 'serious'.
 lovelysky63
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/23/2012 11:49:17 PM
Mean wish rest life with someone
 rigal41
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/24/2012 6:47:44 AM

exactly my thoughts on 'serious'...for those that say serious = marriage...i disagree, i for one don't see getting married again..but i'm currently in a very committed/serious relationship.
 One_Can_Dream
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/24/2012 7:07:46 AM
imo being bf/gf is what you are thinking but serious is a bf/gf that has the potential to make it a lifetime. that is my opinion on this matter
 -NeitNJ-
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/24/2012 7:45:14 AM
Well there is this (funny) thing about termes and definition between guys and women.... that we do not use all the time the same words to describe something and also that we do not feel things the same way therefore, what something can be to us is something else for women.

in this case:

serious relationship: if you do not have the same definition, do not waste each other time.

Basically a serious relationship would be when both of the people in the relation goes towards the same goal and step/phase in their life. (energy +emotion)

All the emotional steppes have to be taken as milestones (getting to know each other, intimacy, feelings, etc)

Hope that can help.
 Fenian1
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/24/2012 7:11:12 PM
Maybe not so much as getting married but I have to agree with your friend.
 lauramae18
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/24/2012 7:27:38 PM
For me it's a relationship with just me and he . Monogamous, sexual, emotionally supportive, committed, etc. I would respectfully disagree with the intent to marry.
 renesd
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2012 7:37:47 PM

I believe that a "serious relationship" is one in which the two people involved are content to be together indefinately.

Yes. Not so much marriage as commitment to working toward a lifetime commitment.
 BEACHBUM611
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/24/2012 7:39:55 PM
To me it means you became a prisoner of love and you lose all your freedom. You can't do certain things, you can't go certain places, you can't talk to certain people, you have to act a certain way, and do the wrong thing they will withhold the sex and make you want to go out and stray, you have to check in and you have to do sh*t you don't want to do. Then people fall, get married then later realize that they need to break out of prison. Now that's something serious for you right there!!!
 lauramae18
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/24/2012 7:42:54 PM
Haha beach bum.
Seriously, so sad.
 legnakrad
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2012 5:20:17 AM
I agree with him.
 0ldhag
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/25/2012 9:19:03 AM
I used to think it was someone who I could possible marry (in the far far future) possibly being key word, not someone I want to marry tomorrow or have his children...but someone i'm close to, and we are commited (not in the marriage sense) and only sleep with each other..

From what I know now...serious means NOTHING

We are just the stepping stone to someone better ... Thats it :)
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What does a "serious relationship" mean to you?