Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Your favorite fish dish............      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Your favorite fish dish............Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
another vote for halibut cheeks. salmon too. fantastic.

i won an award for a scallop wrapped in bacon recipe. it's almost orgasmic.

my clam chowder kicks ass.

prawn scampi with tons of garlic.

but lately i've really been enjoying sushi and sashimi the most.

sockeye sashimi is to die for.

k.w.
teriyaki sockeye too
 idiot_savant
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Your favorite fish dish............
Posted: 2/14/2012 7:05:54 AM
did the beer battered pickerel last night....bought two decent sized filets...looks like they came off a 3 or 4 pounder....(perfect eatin size)...cut each filet into 4 sections...dredged them in seasoned flour before the batter...shakin off the excess flour...deep fried till golden brown...
they musta been good cuz my mother who is 85 yrs old had 5 pieces of fish...her appetite is not what it used to be but sometimes if i make one of her faves...she gorges...

to flour the fish...use about 1/2 c flour...tbsp or more of seasoned salt...lotsa pepper...about a tbsp granulated garlic...i think thats about it...shake the fish oieces in a zip-loc bag...thats the easiest way and lay them on waxed paper just before you batter them...

the batter is as follows...1 c flour...1 c everything in one buttermilk pancake mix...1 can of beer...if you dont have beer, club soda will work...or ginger ale...or 7-up...
you may hafta adjust the amounts one way or the other to compensate for the relative humidity in the air...but the batter should have about the same consistency as for pancakes...
oh yeah...made tartar sauce too...dont buy that stuff...if you have mayo and sweet green relish...you have tartar sauce...1/2 c mayo, 1/4 c sweet green relish...(approx...taste it as you make it...no hard and fast rules here)...
maybe 1/4 of an onion...very finely diced...garlic if desired...and i added a few splashes of green tabasco for a bit of kick...
another sauce worth mentioning in this thread is your basic seafood sauce...the kind you dip shrimp in etc...its basically horseradish and heinz chili sauce...the ratio can vary but lean more on the chili sauce side as horseradish will overpower it
 Dovelett
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 3:48:00 PM
Hey Texas Baby
Made UR recipe n delicious , of course for a light lunch today. I love malt vinegar on fries of any kind too. Going for lobster tonight . Will make them again.
Of course, I had a cold corona with lime and placed those babies in crisp tacos. Some with cabbage n jalapeno -avocado-lime juice - sour cream mixed to thin consistency n others with the malt vinegar.

Happy Valentines to those kiddo's of yours- you and all . : ) >

THEKidWicked
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:34:06 PM
i tried using pancake mix to do fish one time when i was camping.

it tasted like beer flavored pancakes....with fish. GROSS. never again.

tartar sauce needs capers.

c*cktail sauce needs worcestershire added.

k.w.
try raspberry and horseradish
 idiot_savant
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 7:25:31 PM
your opinion here is highly valued here kid...however to say that a particular item "needs" this or that is rather overbearing dont you think?
and if your concoction for deep fried fish tasted like beer flavored pancakes...go back and try again till you find out what you did wrong
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 9:52:54 PM
i know what i did wrong. i used a sweetened pancake mix to make a batter. for my tastes, pancakes and fish don't go well together. beer didn't really help although it does make a refreshing eye opener if you're waking up in ocho rios.

some recipes need certain ingredients. you wouldn't make veal marsala without the marsala.

YOU might, but most people wouldn't.

capers are a big part of tartar sauce.

worcestershire is a big part of c*cktail sauce.

not that there's anything wrong with your versions. i'm sure they taste fine.

but when you say,"you don't need to buy _ _ _" and someone tries YOUR version and have it NOT taste like the brand they usually get makes you look rather silly.

k.w.
fishcakes
 caddyman101
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 11:48:54 PM
i made a drunken batter my self that came out like pancake. it happens kid. it nice to see a chef admit mistake. but that is what make a chef. Ego +beer+mistake=a perfect recipe next time. my biggest mistake is not remember the drunken masterpieces that I did not mistake. keep cooking KW.
CADDY out
 idiot_savant
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 2:41:28 AM
capers...worchestershire sauce etc may go well in your versions ...if you like somethin...use it...
so far every person i have made battered fish for has loved it...theres not a lot of sugar in pancake mix to begin with...i dont know why both of you guys failed in your attempts at beer batter...keep practising...you will get it
 Dovelett
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 1:21:51 PM
Any "Baked fish" is delicious;; with so many ways to fix it - in the oven-grill-parchment paper or encrusted. I love Halibuit- Cod n of course Sashimi is one of my favorites.
 texasbaby
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 5:06:57 PM
Hi Dovelett, glad you enjoyed the battered fish! It's not what I normally do with fish, most often I bake or broil it. Then use leftovers the next day for fish tacos,,, yummm
Of course southern style fried cat fish is hard to beat too. Mix corn meal, flour and seasonings of choice and dredge the fish. Quick fry in a cast iron skillet, same as you would at the lake or river on a fishing trip..

tb
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 7:01:24 PM
i've never failed at a beer batter. i just didn't like the taste or texture.

try this:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
bottle of beer or ale
paprika
kosher salt
garlic powder
black pepper
onion powder
dry chipotle pepper
dried oregano
dried thyme

no sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, powdered milk or baking soda that you'd typically find in pancake mix.

k.w.
that's a great batter
 coreyisback
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/15/2012 11:22:04 PM
Sooo im on a meal plan getting back into the gym. Mostly chicken and fish and some steak to eat. I know theres soo many different types of fish out there which is very overwhelming. I didnt know about fish bellys or cheeks for example. On my cheat day id like to try some of these delicious sounding recipes but which is a better simpler inexpensive type of fish to eat...??? Also for a weekday on my meal plan type of filets I can eat. something simple to cook like my chicken breasts without a lot of extra addons, calories, etc....
 Dovelett
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2012 5:04:30 AM
Cheeks are really good to eat n flown in are not cheap.
 Dovelett
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2012 5:29:40 AM
Tx Baby~

Correct -those fish tacos are great !! Been using a couple different sauces I make with them n other dishes.

In fact- having guest for lunch today - thanks ~ was trying to decide what to make. Jalapeno /avocado sauce is already made in fridge~ to drizzle over the shredded cabbage. Will usde red cabbage today n have fresh lemons n limes.

Great idea Tx Baby
 idiot_savant
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2012 6:36:23 AM
corey...according to some...pickerel cheeks are the best part...if you like eating pickerel filets you will like the cheeks...as i said before, i had a tablespoon in my tackle box that i filed a sharp edge on specifically for scooping out the cheeks...
as far as eating the belly meat of certain fish...i donno...i will tell you tho that the belly meat of a lake trout pulled from lake superior is pretty much inedible as it contains too much fat
 Dovelett
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2012 7:57:36 AM
Kid`
this recipe YOU suggest below is simular to one I have used before n it is good
with fish n fried meat cubes also. The one I used had more chile powder with cumin powder n smoked chipotle powder just set it over the edge. Mexican oregano was also used minus using thyme n zest of lime was added n most all of the other ingredients U listed. Sometimes-depending on who was eating it -beer was sub for chicken broth or beef broth n amount of it depended on how thick or thin one wants the batter. Thanks for reminding me about chipotle. Might mix the fish tacos with 2 different types of batter today.

Kids recipe~ Yes this is a good recipe
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
bottle of beer or ale
paprika
kosher salt
garlic powder
black pepper
onion powder
dry chipotle pepper
dried oregano
dried thyme
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Your favorite fish dish............