Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Crossing the line? Friends want to see your dates profile?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Crossing the line? Friends want to see your dates profile?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
There is only one time it is "crossing the line", and this has actually happened to me.

I had someone share my profile with her gal friends at work one day on a lunch break and I actually had FOUR of them contact me that afternoon. The original gal and I had been conversing for a couple days and planned to meet.

When your friends that want to see the guys profile also have profiles and seeking to date on here thats sorta weird.

And the original gal I was talking to had no idea that her co-workers had also contacted me after she shared my profile and threw a hissy fit when she found out. (not at me!)

I also ended up with dates with roommates on here but neither knew the other had contacted me until I showed up at the door of their condo and girl number one answered the door when I arrived to pick up girl number two (I didnt know they were roommates until that second! OMG !!) And yes they had a history of stealing each others boyfriends so it was UGLY for a few minutes there and I had no friggin idea what I was walking into as I had no idea they even knew each other.

So I say ALWAYS be careful sharing a dates profile with friends on here also... (rolls eyes...)

Cowboy
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 26
Crossing the line? Friends want to see your dates profile?
Posted: 2/10/2012 7:11:50 PM
I used to be naive & had some not so nice friends...like Cowboy posted-sorta steal my dates...I was sooo dumb years ago....There was another popular free site & my so called friend said if u were gonna email a guy who would u pick, ec. I showed her an ad & said I was gonna email him...she beat me to it, they dated for a couple of months, he dumped her when he found out what a witch she was. This happened a few times & I finally wised up. I met someone I really liked & would not tell her who & she pitched a hissy fit, so there went the friendship.

I no longer have friends like that, but now I keep my business to myself
 SC67
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/10/2012 7:37:28 PM

I no longer have friends like that, but now I keep my business to myself

This & Cowboy's story are so wild! I don't think any of my friends would every do that.

I was looking through profiles with my girlfriend/dating coach, who is also on POF, & she showed me a guy who was e-mailing her. I said he'd not only e-mailed me, but had also called me, talked about how cute my voice sounded (even though I had laryngitis), how he couldn't wait to meet me...but (alas)...he had to run an errand & would call me later. He never did. I told her maybe he just didn't like me, but would think she was fabulous. Turns out he did the EXACT same thing to her.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/10/2012 8:16:44 PM
The corollary is...you start talking to a guy from this site...he sounds nice, he starts trading horror stories about women he met from online, then u find out that he is talking about your friend...you hear the same stories from 3 different men from 3 different areas & you realize the friend is a wackjob-scary
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/10/2012 8:31:25 PM
Privacy doesn't even enter this situation.When you have a profile on a dating site,specifically a free dating site,then you profile is available for anyone to view.What difference does it make if your friends see it? Is it something to be ashamed of? If you get serious with this person will you not allow your friends to meet him due to his privacy issues?

It's not like you and your friends are driving by his house,taking pictures and going through his trash.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/17/2012 1:23:11 PM
I think you handled this the right way. I believe dating is and should be considered a very personal matter. I also believe that in regard to having "conversations" with women online. As for sharing the profile, while it is in the public domain, it would not be easy for your friends to connect a profile they may see online with a man you are dating, unless you share the information/profile. I think it is best that they not be able to until both of you are comfortable with the relationship and intend to continue it.

This post reminded me of something that happened many years ago between my sister and her friend. They used the chat client mIRC frequently, as did I at the time. We all frequented the same chat room. They were at my sister's house and my sister logged in to her account. I suppose they were discussing various men, and at some point the friend says to my sister; "There is one guy who drives me absolutely wild! Let me show you." She then pulls up MY profile. LOL! My sister said "Him??!! That's my baby brother (I was about 30 at the time). Later, my sister told me all about it over the phone. I did not mind, of course. We had a good laugh about it.
 onlydateIF
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/17/2012 6:09:03 PM
Good for you! I think it's totally appropriate to protect both of your privacy, and your friends should be mature enough to understand that. :)
 wildandfreee
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/17/2012 9:07:12 PM
depends how close you are with your friends
 GarnerGirl71
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2012 11:09:05 PM
I have shared the profiles of guys I'm interested in with 2 of my best girlfriends. This is not done in a party setting, but usually giving them the username in an email so they can look him up and give me an opinion. I trust their opinions, and know they will be fair and honest. These are the same friends that know exactly where and when I will be meeting a new guy, as well as their first and last name, cell number, and expect a text after the date is done. Paranoid... a little, but you get that way when you have cop friends!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Crossing the line? Friends want to see your dates profile?