Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Music taste...a turn off?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DanL1983
Msg: 26
Music taste...a turn off?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Brilliant pianist he is.
 Wafta
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Music taste...a turn off?
Posted: 2/19/2012 1:44:01 PM
Wow....I'm a BMW?!!!

Like I said, I don't obsess about my music, this particular genre is what makes me happy, gets me in the mood for love, cheers me up and all those other things music helps with, but I can put it aside if the situation warrants it and never force it on anyone.

I think a lot of you are right that, if its a constant irritation, it may be a problem....not sure I could have handled much more Marilyn Manson and I'm not sure how much opera or classical I could take before I went into meltdown....anything else goes I think.
 HuggableHarry
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/19/2012 1:59:26 PM
Depends how important music factors in someones life, like some posts before solution is simple get some headphones. however it can be problem if you want the person in your life to go to live gigs .
 theconcept
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/19/2012 3:00:33 PM
I wouldn't mind if their taste was different to mine. I like all types of music, as long as it is good lol If i didn't like their taste, i wouldn't say they were out of the question, that would be lame. Although i know many people do judge you and categorize you by the genre of music you like. I think its sad.
 punkadiddle
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/19/2012 3:31:03 PM
The only thing that would put me off is if my partner had a very narrow immature palette and ridiculed anything outwith that. My daughter doesn’t believe music existed before Rihanna and Flo Rida but that’s her perogative as she’s 12. In a mature adult though it’s kind of annoying.

I'd like to think my taste is eclectic and broad (everything from Dead Kennedys to the Carpenters is represented on my ipod). I personally find it quite exciting when another door is opened to a new musical genre that I hadn’t appreciated before - all doors are unlocked and available apart from avante-garde jazz-scat vocals which is firmly locked and barricaded (sorry dad).

VVVVVVV
Yep - Thelonius Monk - I'd be struggling aswell. Although I'm sure it's my loss entirely that I haven't developed an appreciation for it - but I can live with that.

mazeyh
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/19/2012 3:46:32 PM
My dad used to make me listen to Thelonius Monk.I used to feel like I was going to have a heart attack.There's something very weird about that discord jazz crap that does something to your insides.Apart from that the rest of the standard sorta modern jazz was alright.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

post below msg 32
but not if he makes you feel like your innards are gonna explode!
 DLSituation
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/19/2012 3:53:03 PM
But...but...Thelonius Monk is amazing.
 jpb1968
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 4:20:01 PM
Very spooky indeed, having just youtubed for several Lou Reed songs, I thought I'd post a thread about music compatibility and then found this one!

Personally, I think it's really important to have that musical connection so that I can share my musical enjoyment with another.

I do think I will really struggle to find any combined fans of Iggy & Stooges, Lou Reed, Motown, Northern Soul, Clash, Crass, Sex Pistols, Neil Diamond and Bob Marley and forgetting many others.

I couldn't bear being with somebody who thought R&B was REALLY R&B as I understand it, and don't get me started on drum & bass!
 SGB2012
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 5:37:17 PM
There are types of music that would raise an eyebrow but it would never be a deal breaker.
 sprite1950
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2012 11:42:00 PM
When my kids were younger and lived at home I had britney spears blasting out from my daughter's room and prodigy from my son's. I kind of learned to block it out, at least it never really bothered me, not sure what the neighbours thought though
 x_kags_x
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/20/2012 12:20:47 AM
This may explain why I'm single. I don't know many men who listen to Take That
 shortbutsweet63
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/20/2012 12:34:17 AM
Never been a problem for me as I have such an eclectic taste in music anyway........I do like a lot of chart stuff etc but then I have a 19 year old daughter so I listen to it constantly as Pauline has said.

Maybe its because of the fact Im so young at heart (just wish the body wouldnt rebel tee hee)!
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 1:18:02 AM
Gawd if they were into Cliff Richard and Elvis and played it all the time - I would be outta there like a shot!
 bambiisnotsingle
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/20/2012 1:24:04 AM
I have totally diffrent taste in music from my boyfriend . but now its blending i took him along to his first rock gigg last week to see shinedown with me and my mates he loved it .
He loved the friendlyness of rockers .We are chalk and cheese im gothic hes mr next lol .
But hes being warped as he has burnt of a shinedown cd and has it playing in car he loves it .
Its always good to experiance new things he never felt out of place with all the rockers and long haired people .
he just loved it he is already picking up even in huge crowds there is never a bit of trouble .
Its all about our music and the gig
 TheSmugs
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/20/2012 1:55:27 AM
Tend to agree with Msg 9, my ability to endure Jazz amounts to thirty seconds of Miles Davis, and last night bloody Cleo Laine appeared on my TV with her grim doop..doop dip warbling I couldn’t find the remote so just ripped the plug out, by then beads of sweat had already formed on my brow...If ever anyone deserved to be strangled with her own drawers....
 pauline2012
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/20/2012 1:56:58 AM
The Beautiful South

Don't ever play them within a mile of me
 sprite1950
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 5:24:11 AM
^^ One of my friends bought tickets for my birthday one year to go and see the Beautiful South. I didnt like them either but I had to go. I'd never even mentioned them before so I have no idea why she thought I liked them.
 zedhead
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 5:30:50 AM
about 80% of the woman on here say they hate rock n metal etc,they like simple uncomplicated.talentless zzzzzzzzzz music like westlife.cheryl cole.r & b etc etc.
so for first date id take them to see motorhead maiden acdc etc for a bit of education!!!.
 mazeyh
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/20/2012 6:04:21 AM
@MSG 43 I know it's not rock but recently I have been educating my nine year old son about the difference between Sheryl Crow ( I blame his dad for that one) and Cheryl Cole. He now agrees that Missis Cole is a talentless bimbo who can't even play a guitar.( the guitar seems very important to him at this stage of his life) .Nowt like a bit of parental brainwashing ( and there's an absolutely spiffing clip of Ms. Crow playing Black Betty on youtube if you like that kind of thing.)
 indigovelvet
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/20/2012 6:15:56 AM
I'm afraid I cancelled one of my dates on the strength of him admitting he was a huge Rick Astley fan. Never Gonna Give You Up.... indeed!
 pauline2012
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/20/2012 6:37:45 AM

about 80% of the woman on here say they hate rock n metal etc,they like simple uncomplicated.talentless zzzzzzzzzz music like westlife.cheryl cole.r & b etc etc.
so for first date id take them to see motorhead maiden acdc etc for a bit of education!!!.

Strange, I have more than one ac/dc vinyl knocking around

Not 12 inches though

zedhead
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 7:16:54 AM
msg 44.....thats what i really hate about modern x factor.talentless wanabee shows..they dont play an instrument.guitar.bass.drums etc..they look all pretty poncing about on stage but cant actually sing live.iron maidens flight 666.wasted years on youtube,sums up a real band at there best playing live.
if half these wanabees could play with the same power,passion,skill and play non stop for 2 hours plus then id give them some praise.
fact is most woman dismiss metal/rock before theyve even heard it live and loud.
and at the end of the day thats what metal/rock is all about.the live experiance.not in a studio with all the effects.
 bambiisnotsingle
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/20/2012 7:56:09 AM
Have to agree i love gigs and thats were you hear real music

I love rock / metal
 ScottishTexan
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:01:46 AM
Or just come to a Glasgow meet where we make sure they play rock music. I blame Bambi.

Back on topic, there is a reason why head phones were invented. Don't like my choice of music, no problem. I'm not going to force you to listen to it and I expect you not to force me to listen to your type of music if we don't share similar music tastes.
 pauline2012
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:02:52 AM
Most women don't dismiss metal.

I know loads of women who like rock/heavy metal.

And some men who like Westlife/Erasure/Joe McElderry
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Music taste...a turn off?