Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Britain's hidden alcoholics?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pauline2012
Msg: 26
Britain's hidden alcoholics?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

I date women who have a bottle of wine before I turn up, a bottle when we are out and when we get back open the 4 pint carton.
Lambrusco at £3 a bottle, 2 bottles for a £5 both at our local supermarket. In the morning..ie 10ish there are women with a few groceries, a bottle of wine or even a bottle of spirit. A whole isle of our local supermarket is devoted to booze. If there wasn't a market that would not be an economic use of shop space.

Im very sorry for your experience, that must have been awful. But you are dating women who drink 2 bottles of wine in an evening and then more when you get home?

Why would you want to do that? Just because people buy wine in the morning doesn't mean they are going to open it there and then. When I go to Tesco I see couples regularly filling their trolley with booze, that doesn't mean I make assumptions about their drinking habits, they could be having a party or that booze could last them 3 months.

The bottom line is the Government gets revenue for alcohol and that is not going to stop. In Scotland at least there are no more happy hours, you also can't use vouchers in pubs like Wetherspoon and you are not allowed to make it more attractive to buy a double rather than a single measure. We also don't have 24 hour licences up here.

I believe you still can in England, Ive been in pubs in England where it says have a double for an extra £1, that isn't allowable here. But as long as the Govt get massive revenues from the sale of alcohol then alcohol will be sold. You could price wine at £10 a bottle and people who had a dependency would still find a way to get a hold of it.

If you don't want to date a heavy drinker then do not date them. Make that clear on your profile and when you speak to people.

But I would never make assumptions about someone based on whether they had alcohol along with their groceries and what time they did their shopping at.

I think a few people need to take a massive step back and stop making assumptions based on what they see in a supermarket or what they type on the forum.
 x_kags_x
Msg: 27
Britain's hidden alcoholics?
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:17:06 AM

But I would never make assumptions about someone based on whether they had alcohol along with their groceries and what time they did their shopping at.

Exactly! Now if they then go outside, open it and neck it before reaching the car then thre may be a problem!

I shouldn't say this but I will.. after his postings last week I do wonder if the women with the wine aren't just trying to blot out the pain...
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:28:34 AM
ive been having problems sleeping recently , dare i say i find a glass off red wine sometimes helps me drift off , it can get dangerous reliying on an alcholic drink , the key thing is to know when to stop , i see no problem with having a little drink at home , especially when pubs are so cheeky and charge £5 for a glass off wine no wonder more and more people choose to stay in and have a tipple ....
 pauline2012
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:31:16 AM
Here I go with an addiction workers hat on.

Alcohol might knock you out but it won't give you a decent quality of sleep, so if you suffer from insomnia, try and leave it out.

I suffer from insomnia, I know how tough it is. But alcohol really doesnt help.

But I agree, 5 quid for a glass of wine and people wonder why more drink at home than in the pub?

Im just mixing my bloody mary for breakfast tomorrow (joke, I hate vodka).
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:32:17 AM
I do know of one real life case...a man in this case. He had custody of his kids. His morning shopping list was a tin of beans, a loaf of bread that fed the kids and a bottle of spirit. Every day. An the ones in the supermarkets dont look as if they have invested in soap or clothes for years. Yep I know 3 are on this site . OMG

Come on. How do you sift through the liars on here. Non smokers who pull out the roll ups. Drivers who I wonder if they are going to be able to find the keyhole to put the ignition key in. False pictures, average weight size 20's !!

I suppose you ladies get the same with the guys who drink themselves stupid on a date. Yep the social drinkers.
 pauline2012
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:38:53 AM
Actually Ive been in a couple of relationships, not from here with people who had one or more addiction and exited very quickly.

You will never sift out, that is the problem with dating of any kind. People do not come with I am a liar on their forehead. You take your chances. That is all you can do.

The issue is about people who are addicted is that only they can make that decision about when to change their lifestyle and for people that do, hats off to them.

But when you have been in a relationship with someone who gets paid one day and has either drank it all the next or gambled it away it is not fun at all. Sometimes you need to make harsh decisions and walk to save your own sanity and leave people to sort out their issues. Some never will, some will, but I learned a long time ago that I have enough day to day baggage of my own that I am not willing to take on other people's if they choose not to help themselves.

The fact is, dating anywhere is a lucky dip, when you meet someone you don't know their life history, their background and what makes them tick.
 SwanSpirit
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:45:22 AM

what's wrong in drinking wine in a coffee mug?

The question is why are you drinking wine in a coffee mug? If it's because you haven't got a clean glass/any glass/have grabbed a mug off the draining board/can't be arsed to wash up that's one thing ... if it's because it's 10am, on you're 2nd bottle and have nosy neighbours then it's a slightly different matter. Yeah I know the obvious answer is to close the curtains.
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:47:14 AM
Yes Pauline but that post shows that you are realistic and have a fair grasp of the differences in people in society.
Some of the pops at me suggest that I should take more care in who I date and sift more.
So when I say that I have met people who........... I am somehow at fault for choosing them, not the fault that their lies and inadequacies show up on the date.
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:48:35 AM
Do I have an alcohol problem? Three pints of lager and I am asleep. Try as hard as I can to get drunk, but alas it's a case of please be careful and step over me! Talk about a cheap date or what!

Has some one switched my beer for cocoa methink?

x_kags_x
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/20/2012 9:00:39 AM
To be fair One that's because last week you were bragging about how many dates a week you arrange, without ever messaging a woman yourself. You then went on to complain (rather a lot) about the women using you to buy them drinks. You also made some pretty disparaging remarks about women generally on several of last week's threads. Your attitude to women came over as a bad one and there was even a hint of disgust that women who are bought drinks aren't prepared to put out! It was not just me who noticed this (by any means). Now you're making more negative comments about dates you've been on and again there's this underlying "women and drink" issue! If you regularly arrange 3 or 4 dates a week with women who message you with minimal contact before the date then you are going to meet undesirables. The suggestion last week from several of us was that yo perhaps need to be a little more discerning when arranging dates, be clear up front that you expect them to pay half (or shag you lol), get to know them a little first so that you can be confident they won't turn up paralytic or demand you take them to a more expensive restaurant....etc etc etc
 darknight48
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/20/2012 9:05:25 AM
going watch that (also check out internet stalker on c4 ) think people under so much pressure/trying live life others expect?.alcoholism creeps up on you gradually.the rise in supermarket cheap booze lot do with it as pubs get more expensive.the average person should be allowed to drink in thier own home. putting up price wont solve it.
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 9:35:09 AM
How many of you actually buy the supermarket Value CHEAP BRANDS lagers or bitters or vodkas etc? Ok maybe a good Chateau Canon St Emillion 85' is on offer, or you BOGOF on Becks or Peroni 4-6 packs.
The supermarkets may well be cheaper than pubs or off licences but I think the term "supermarket cheap booze" is a bit of a red herring! Maybe the term cheaper should be used instead.
The more discerning of you are enjoying a little tipple over dinner, you might not otherwise afford at the city wine bar. Drunks and Alcoholics will get their fix whatever it takes even if it turns out to be meths!
Yes, you may have spotted that lady off POF with her bargain bottle of Lambrusco but that hardly counts with such a low level of alcohol!
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 9:39:09 AM
lambrini... or lambrusco if that whats its called is rubbish ... might as well save you pennys for a decent bottle of wine .... 7% alcohol is rubbish
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 9:49:17 AM
lambrini... or lambrusco if that whats its called is rubbish
Its the equivalent of White Lightning cider.
 zedhead
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 9:50:59 AM
Does the smoking ban affect the amount of booze consumed in pubs?

here in redhill.most of the pubs i frequented as a teen/20/30 yr old have gone..either mcdonalds/harvester or turned into flats.i used to smoke but when the smokeing ban in pubs came in i gave up saying fxck the goverment screwing me for more tax.
anyway ive bought a large bottle of southern comfort today.not working til thursday night and was a long trip back from liverpool this morning.you wanna try supporting a football team.that really raises your drink limits..haha.
i think the pub trade is dead though apart from crap boozers like weatherspoons
 pauline2012
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/20/2012 9:59:47 AM
People tend to drink white lightening cider in 2 or 3 litre bottles though.

Ive certainly never known anyone to have a cheeky wee glass of white lightening with their dinner.

The smoking ban affects trade because a lot of people who used to smoke and go to pubs now stay home because they dont want to be freezing their nads off outside having a smoke and they dont want to give up smoking.

I know women don't have balls but you know what I mean.
 zedhead
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 10:07:04 AM
People tend to drink white lightening cider in 2 or 3 litre bottles though

they genrally live in croydon,norwood and thornton heath as well!!!.going completley over the heads of people who dont know where these places are!!
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 10:07:12 AM
Ive certainly never known anyone to have a cheeky wee glass of white lightening with their dinner.
I beg to differ. My dentist, when I lived in Salford used to drink White Lightning, but in the can variety. I recently heard he had wrote his car off and was 3 1/2 times over the limit.

You would think a professional with his income, would drink better stuff than White Lightning....thats the nature of the beast unfortunately.
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 10:11:57 AM
if i was minted ... id only drink the good stuff ..... guess you get what you pay for ...
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/20/2012 10:23:26 AM
MSG 35,
I kinda resent your comment that I expect women to as you put it 'put out' in return for a night out. I do not act inappropriately on a date . I objected to those termed here as gold diggers who readily use guys to fund their social life and then dont even have the grace to say thank you.
 pauline2012
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/20/2012 10:28:39 AM
Im not sure they sell it in cans up here, Ive only ever seen the bottles. Seen them, not drank them, horrible stuff.
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 10:33:46 AM
Back in the old days when I got off drugs, I switched dependencies and I was drinking up to 6 Litres of White Lightning per day. Such was my tolerance that I could do that, no problem. I drank 1 can a few years ago, and I was half cut. Nasty stuff, that has never seen an apple.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 10:48:16 AM
I used to enjoy going out for a meal, sharing a bottle of wine and making an evening of it. Since the smoking ban, I now am more likely (particularly in winter) to have a meal and take what's left of the wine home.

I am also as likely to buy a bottle of wine on a Saturday morning when I am doing my weekly shop as any other time. That way I can put it in the fridge and it's nicely chilled by the time I want to drink it.

My drinking did start to get a bit excessive at one point - a friend that I was sharing with was drinking wine every night and I fell into the same habit. What made it worse was that I was drinking at the same speed as him. Wasn't getting drunk but I decided it was getting to be a habit that I didn't like. Now I just don't buy wine during the week, it's too tempting to drink it and yet I can have spirits in the house and am not tempted at all - does that make me a wino instead of an alcoholic

I don't think I have a problem, I can go out for a meal and just have one glass of wine, often I have a couple of glasses of wine in the house, then go onto coffee and back to wine later on. I don't drink to get drunk, I enjoy wine, I don't enjoy hangovers.

I don't give a monkeys what surveys say, I'd rather enjoy a short life doing what I want, without directly hurting anyone, than spend my whole time trying to figure out what's good or bad for me.
 kirkstmoritz2
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/20/2012 10:54:00 AM
I go to villamartin a fair bit and there's a supervalu at the end of the road that sells a pink fizz for less than 3 euros a bottle, that stuff makes white lightning look like lambrusco, it's evil ...good for cleaning out the hot tub too.
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2012 10:59:18 AM

I go to villamartin a fair bit and there's a supervalu at the end of the road that sells a pink fizz for less than 3 euros a bottle,
Try Buster's, on the commercial centre, 1/2 mile away.....sell Budweiser at 1.5 Euro's.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Britain's hidden alcoholics?