Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > What Do You Think About People Not on Facebook?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 26
view profile
History
What Do You Think About People Not on Facebook?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
well never add anyone from here ........... BIG mistake
 shortbutsweet63
Msg: 27
What Do You Think About People Not on Facebook?
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:05:13 AM
Only ever did that once loulaloulou..........yep BIG mistake
 CLJay
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:05:55 AM
[am not friends with my girlfriend on facebook and neither of us have updated our statuses. We joked about it last night and whether we should be friends but agrees it is utterly meaningless to us both.]

Out the blue one day sister's husband put his status on his facebook page as married to her.......we had a good laugh about it cos they'd been married for 7 years! She died two weeks later.......

I never put my status up. Those who know me know who I'm with.
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:07:30 AM
huge mistake ... huge .... :-/ stalk stalk stalk
 Past_Imperfect
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:17:40 AM

You might not find it so funny when you find out who and why they do it.

Maybe I ought to be more worried than I am, but in all honesty I've never seen much profit in worrying about things I've no control over.

I know someone who belongs to some weird and very racist political group who trawls fora like this looking for people to recruit, so yes I know these things happen.

I try to cover myself as much as I can - none of my internet accounts have any valid details, I don't put personal information on fb, I clear my cookies on a regular basis and stay away from sites I don't recognise, etc. etc - but I know in reality that there's little I can do if I want to use the Internet.
 xgillybx
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:18:48 AM
I think it's up to the individual, but understand reasons for people wanting or not wanting facebook accounts. I personally wouldn't add anyone I didn't know or trust to my facebook friends, I have pictures of my kids on there and details of my work, so no, unless I knew them or could trust them, I wouldn't add anyone, there is the potential for stalkerish behaviour too, and I'm careful about what I do and don't post on there, have commented on many a post of friends who have said quite publicly, "off on hols tomorrow for 2 weeks in Barbados!" I post, "good for you, I'll be round your's in a few hours ransacking and looting your home!" some people are not very thoughtful about how much information they share on there.
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:21:47 AM
very true , i now realise there has to be trust , does anyone know how to get the green dot that shows you as online off facebook ??? would appeciate any help x i tried everything .....
 Johnnie1270
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:22:00 AM
Attemots to find loualoualouloulou on FB
i may need to check spelling if this is to be successful
 Cinderfreakinella
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:23:07 AM
When I worked in the Borough Intelligence Unit at Plumstead police station the officers use facebook to gather intelligence on the local baddies...cos they just cant resist bragging
 lalby
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:49:48 AM
I deleted my ex off facebook cause he commented on my wall and i had asked him not to.

You can go to the settings at the top of your friends online window and change it to chat offline.
 bennyblanco!
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:54:16 AM
Women do use Facebook as an emotional CV.
 fun_guy_63
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/28/2012 12:09:26 PM
2 years ago i had a security briefing from special branch. First hting the guy did was demo hacking into all our phones, and then he showed us facebook hacking.. and what the security forces could get from FB. worrying still was a photo he showed of a room full of chinese folks - sponsored by their government to hack into everything.. spam, hacking, anything.

We were instructed by our 'cop' not to use FB or any other docial website. Im no longer a FB user and when i was i could see birthdays, address, fullnames - everything i would need to steal an identity, all on some of my ex school friends. ok so they could choose not to fill the stuff in - but most do.

One more issue - music stream service Spotify insists you havea FB account to use its service ? now why is that then ?

So for dating.. no FB account = sensible person. its a plus.
 Ant2312
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/28/2012 12:10:50 PM
I don't want people being on my Facebook until they know me well and understand my humour, language or rants that I use it for.

I also don't have anyone from work on mine or use my surname, just my first and middle name.

My politics / views on their are my own, so work can piss off if they think they have a right to get involved with them
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 12:16:48 PM
where i work there is a notice up saying if you make coments about , other collegues , customers , your manager or anything to do with the company , you can face dissaplinery procedure , i didnt realise tho . until the other day that anyone who has accsess to the internet can see posts on theese forums :-/ .... i googled my pof name and low and behold there they are .... all my posts , bad news .....
 sprite1950
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 12:23:33 PM
Fb is ok as long as you dont put anything personal on your status. If you dont want people to interfere in your life dont give them ammunition. I use it in a very lighthearted way and for keeping in touch with old friends but I wouldnt care at all if friends of mine didnt have it. Many people of my generation dont.
 _nx_
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/28/2012 12:42:42 PM
i dont have a face book, twitter or any other account other than my pof account and i dont admit to anyone that im on pof forums... my cyber life is as private as my real life.. i keep the two very separate, if someone that i knew from real life came on to the forums i would delete my account...

all this cyber communication gives me the creeps... its weird... and not for me..
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 12:44:27 PM
im not really keen on my posts being shown to anyone on the internet , whats said on the forums , i think should stay on the forums .... x guess its ok if they dont know your pof name ....
 lightstar1
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/28/2012 1:12:49 PM
Lou- its the problem with the net - no privacy, not really. I've never said anything on the net that would/should worry me or anyone else in real life, and I always try & think it through before I commit to hyperspace.
What does frighten me is how easily we all seem to accept this lack of 'personal knowledge' freedom - try a POF Forum search for 'internet privacy' and see what you get, then be afraid, probably very afraid........

Lulubellabella
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 1:21:36 PM
lightstar , its a shame pof allow outside internets users to our posts i never even realised until the other day , i really dont think its right , certain peope that i have / known / dated ./ been on dates with have access and can view my forum posts ..... and any one elses ....
 _nx_
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/28/2012 1:23:12 PM
its the problem with the net - no privacy

thats the problem with life i think... people dont seem to have a need for privacy anymore...

my rule of thumb is.. dont put anything on the forums that i wouldnt be happy to discuss with my manager...

for this reason, i press "cancel" more often than i press "post"...

edit...

loula... why is it not right?

and another edit... for loula down there....

i agree privacy is crucial... but dont you give up the right to privacy when you post on a public forum..? especially when you choose to post a pic of yourself..?
 Lulubellabella
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 1:27:21 PM
nx.... i believe in privacy , everyone has a right to it i think ..... just like face book has privacy settings .... true , yes its a public forum , just never realised every one could view my posts, it just shocked me abit .....
 drinkofcoolant
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 1:28:40 PM
I think you hit upon a lot of good points there OP.

I'm really not a fan of Facebook, I just think its bad news all around, people are
far too quick to upload personal information about themselves without thinking, which could either threaten their own "Identity" or personal relationships, not to mention their future job prospects.

If I wanted to remain in touch with old friends or previous girl friends I would already be doing so, I just dont feel the need to advertise it.

Thats me.
 lightstar1
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/28/2012 1:34:00 PM
Lou - no wish to spook you, but they (privacy settings) don't stop access to your details by Facebook & anyone they give consent to - the whole thing is an electronic sieve and your life is available to any one with due (or fabricated ) cause.

Edit - the point that I was trying to bring up earlier, is that there appears to be only ONE thread about internet privacy. I surely cannot be the only one who finds that very, very scary?
 fat-trucker
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/28/2012 1:42:05 PM
loula....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what he said

there is not any copyright on any of our postings or photos on here or facebook.Its all "out there"
Your facebook may have privacy settings but im afraid that any of "so called freinds"
can copy&paste,anything,to any web site.

scary an`t it.
 TheSmugs
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/28/2012 2:14:45 PM
Would rather slide down a twenty foot razor blade using my balls as brakes than be on Facebook, it’s simply for the lower orders, perverts, deviants , criminal, cheats and liars, the brainless, the mindless with three hundred "friends"and their desire to exhibit their gory, grim lifestyles and do their washing in public, endless snaps of the latest spawn they have littered or piss-ups they think are unique to them, even worse are the nauseating hypocrites who like to sound above it all, while still being on the bloody thing “only use it to keep in touch with family and friends” aye that will be right, those they never call on the phone or write too,.., like we don’t have free telephone calls practically worldwide now at times, Skype, MSN, Yahoo, endless email options never mind Royal Mail..it’s nothing to do with that old chestnut, simply being on the periphery of something illicit and murky which it often is, like all those social groups, that’s the sub-text. Otherwise it must be a kind of inverted paradise for those who are voyeuristic

You can overlook kids and youngsters being on it and expect them to grow out of it, I would no sooner have a partner on Facebook than one with a tattoo , who reads The Sun, talks in text jargon or illiterate gibberish, it’s strictly for the sort of trailer park trash and council house types, some made good and living slightly above their station. Sure the odd business lurks in their to exploit the simpletons, just as they have commercials breaks during the banal Big Brother, CBB or whatever tosh the lower orders are addicted too, they are well known to like shiny trinkets and haberdashery, a safe place to sell any old junk. Some of us manage our lives just grand without that utter shite contaminating and dictating our life style.... apologies for beating about the bush... ...
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > What Do You Think About People Not on Facebook?