Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > 'Make Bradford British'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lusipher
Msg: 23
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
@msg 24

Nobody.

How do you suggest that it be stopped or reversed?

As long as your borders are open and people can enter or leave the country (returning with elements and sometimes people of other cultures) then this place is going to have to accept that other cultures will be present here.

You could close off your borders to people and things of other cultures, but then you run the risk of stagnating. Plus wouldn't it be forbidden to leave these shores or to leave and come back?

You could make it very unpleasant for people of other cultures to stay here - which some elements of society are already trying.

Ultimately, I don't think that people who oppose multiculturalism have any way of stopping it, short of barracading themselves off from all other cultures (including the influence of other cultures - music, literature, films, foods, etc) or going a step further and actively trying to remove all traces of different cultures from your land.

I am going to be a bit biased, but I do think multiculturalism can work - it still has a long way to go though - and I am glad it is here.

If some of the natives/ethnics think that life will become a lot better if there was only one culture... Well I will leave them with that dream, because I don't think it will ever happen in my lifetime and hopefully not for many generations afterwards either.
 Lusipher
Msg: 24
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 2:32:16 AM

Multi culturalism helps break down peoples core cultural values, that hold communities together...

Personally, I just think that's a handy excuse.

If a community is split, because of a different culture segregating itself (or just being present) then the two options are get rid of that culture or integrate them into being part of the community.

Why do core values get abandoned, just because of the presence of different cultures?

If people want to hold on to them, then they should do so - in that sense I feel multiculturalism is failing, as residents seem to be having to adapt their ways to the influx of people, but it's not happening as often the other way.

A compromise needs to be reached on both sides and furthermore, if it was to lean one way then it should be in favour of the natives culture, rather than the ones that come in.

I don't understand why that doesn't appear to happen as much as it should, and because it doesn't happen it is understandable why some natives reject the idea of multiculturalism... I wouldn't stand for a visitor telling me ow to behave in your home or making me adapt to their way of life, but if I have allowed them to stay in my home I would try to reach some kind of compromise for both of us.

One very interesting part of the show was the question "What does it mean to be British?"

It means different thing to different people.

Is it something on paper? Is it a matter of ancestry? Or is it something in your heart?
 zendy
Msg: 25
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 3:12:41 AM
The age old question "whats does it mean to be British?". Sometimes I wonder if anyone knows the answer. I dont think multiculturalism is the problem,I think its integration. There's a Jewish neighbourhood close to where I live called Stamford hill. There are kids and even adults born in Stamford hill who dont speak a word of English,only Hewbrew. There are many Asians born in Whitechapel,east London who dont speak any English. Now how is it possible that someone is born and raised in England but know no English? Integration has a long way to go.
 up4meets
Msg: 26
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 3:12:44 AM
East is East and West is West.

That's the way it is.
 yorkslass
Msg: 27
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 3:56:07 AM
well i dont think asians like to intergrate with british and thats where the problems lie, they hve their own schools etc, if they are going to come live in the uk they shd integrate more
 xgillybx
Msg: 28
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 6:12:52 AM

Edited to say - sorry, I didn't see the show so am not really able to comment on the original thread.
 Cinderfreakinella
Msg: 29
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 6:33:33 AM
I haven't watched the programme yet, I have recorded it.

To the poster that comments about ethnic minorities living in huddles of grouping what do you think ex-pats from Britain do when they migrate to live in Oz or Spain?

It's natural to stick with 'your own', it's what you know, people are like-minded...whilst reaping the benefits of the chosen country to inhabit.
 Tuskadero
Msg: 30
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:00:56 AM
Isn't it hilarious when people talk about "being British" then obliviously talk about "Englishness" .......as "British"

I just failed the UK Citizenship test..: ))

Probably because I did'nt know what the churches of England were called............why should I?? I'm not a member of any English church!

http://www.ukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/
 up4meets
Msg: 31
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:18:54 AM

It's natural to stick with 'your own', it's what you know, people are like-minded...whilst reaping the benefits of the chosen country to inhabit.

I will add that in other countrys the laws of the host country are obeyed without trying to change them to suit the minority.
 dwight_the
Msg: 32
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:49:26 AM
You will not find anyone born in the UK who don't speak English.Not because you hear them communicating in another language means they don't speak English.
 ~Hams~
Msg: 33
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:53:45 AM

How 'Tolerant' would the ethnic inner city communities be if you walked around their No Go areas alone at night anywhere in the UK if you are not one of them.
I would be interested in your findings.

There is no such thing as a no go area anywhere in this country as far as I'm concerned.
I have been everywhere in London at all times of the day and night and I'm still here to tell the tale.
I have friends of all races and religions and in all parts of the UK and don't see anything odd about it.

I look forward to the second episode of the series next week to see how the group on the show manage when they live each others lives.
 zendy
Msg: 34
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 9:50:05 AM

You will not find anyone born in the UK who don't speak English.Not because you hear them communicating in another language means they don't speak English

Trust me there are a lot of people born in the UK who only speak the language of their parents. Its hard to believe but I have met them. I also know a Pakistani woman who has been here 45 years but its still her Grand kids who translate English to Urdu for her.
 Pete_83_Reading
Msg: 35
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 9:52:40 AM
I am not entirely convinced on the point of they all can speak English, they can all communicate using the English language but many have very poor English in reality.
Also I know this is awful to think but I know a number of people have commented to me that they believe people from some other countries, typically asians nations not to be such good drivers. They have largely come to this conclusion through observation in their opinion but maybe thats racism, they class it as observations.
 daspecimen
Msg: 36
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:21:56 AM
recorded it and am watching it now. pretty interesting
 dwight_the
Msg: 37
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:44:35 AM
Well my children goes to school with mostly Asians and Somalians ,they All speak English ,all,from nursery.
 Tuskadero
Msg: 38
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 11:40:35 AM
Dont forget, for many non-English, English is a second language for some of the British indigenous population.
 Strider886
Msg: 39
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/3/2012 2:25:56 PM
I just want to see an England where the law applies equally to all, regardless of colour or religion. Where all men are treated equal...... I'm sick of the race card, I'm sick of the authorities fear of being labelled racist. If you break the law, you should be punished.
 HuggableHarry
Msg: 40
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/8/2012 1:56:28 PM

i liked the point that was made that kids dont have any problems playing with each other no matter what the colour and its true they dont as they just see another play mate and thats really how we adults should be but we are nothing like it

Problem will start to disappear when the Natives stop moving every time they find someone different move into their neighbour hood.

Lusipher
Msg: 41
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/8/2012 4:51:42 PM
I thought the second episode was great.

I suspect some people who are opposed to the idea of cultures and different people mixing, will think it's a load of bull... and so be it.

However, I think it gives some small hope that if people just open their minds a little and step out of their comfort zones, then multiculturalism can and will work.
 Strider886
Msg: 42
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/9/2012 1:27:15 AM
The thick bloke int pub, he was well out of order, what a tw4t...... Everybody has their own individuality, some less so than others, but to discriminate because someone wears different clothes? We should all wear exactly the same stuff? Ridiculous......
 Lusipher
Msg: 43
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/9/2012 1:44:48 AM
@msg 47

I did laugh at that.

Is there a traditional British style of dressing? I used have missed that.

It was quite amusing when he tried asking out that that Asian girl should wear miniskirts and low cut tops if she wanted to fit in.

Nobody could be so stupid as to believe that's true, so I reckon the he was just latching onto her style of dress as a way of having a go at her.

Obviously it's all going to be edited, but I think all of them took something from that event - okay, maybe not Muhammed

I think Damon and Rashid came out of that best though and quite importantly, I mean really glad that it was pointed out that Jens wasn't racist, just a bit naive and clueless. Hopefully more people will realise that one isn't automatically a racist, just because you've said something a bit offensive.
 monobloke
Msg: 44
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/9/2012 4:50:56 AM
Mohammmed was having none of it and left with his views unchanged and probably hardened. I would have liked to have seen the young asian girl take Mohammed to task in front of the group about his traditional muslim attitudes towards women. He would have bailed out sooner.I am sure many of the group would have backed her up.

The one who impressed me most was Damon when he said that many muslim traditions are not a world away from those of his grandparents. I too detest the antics of the drunken prats that do 'Britishness' no favours at all and in that Mohammed has (imo) a fair point.

Ethnic groups are colonising the inner city areas and white people are moving out. Those who cannot afford to move are the ones left behind to be confronted with the 'In your face clash of cultures.

This show,for all it's doctoring, did not convince me that Multiculturism can work in the future when there are opposite types of people like that culturally racist bloke and his wife in the pub and the Mohammed types who aren't going to change their ways or integrate with other cultures - Ever.
The reality is that integration isn't happening as each side 'Digs In' to resist change.
 Strider886
Msg: 45
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/9/2012 5:32:30 AM

@msg 47

I did laugh at that.

Is there a traditional British style of dressing? I used have missed that.

It was quite amusing when he tried asking out that that Asian girl should wear miniskirts and low cut tops if she wanted to fit in.

Well.... I was wondering why the fat "English" cow wasn't wearing a mini-skirt and low cut top, she looked more like a bloke!!

The old chap reminded me of my stepfather, not inherently racist, but has no clue how to interact with people, other than by making inflammatory remarks because he thinks everyone will just find it funny. I suppose it's TV comedy/humour from back in his day.......

My stepfather was a big shot company director, the sort who make unfunny jokes and have 100 ass kissers pretending they're funny. So these days in retirement, when he does the same, he generally upsets people..... We have to keep an eye on him and make sure people understand he's just trying to be funny.
 Waynie_Vunderba
Msg: 46
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/9/2012 9:04:27 AM
The big slob of lard in the Pub really annoyed me. [The fat caucasian guy giving that young lass abuse.]

How about get off your massively obese lard ass, get a job and get in shape you fat 1960s throwaway of embarrassing attitudes. I sometimes forget his type still lurk in inner city boozers. Cringe worthy viewing.
 ~Hams~
Msg: 47
view profile
History
'Make Bradford British'
Posted: 3/9/2012 10:54:57 AM
I was also disappointed when Mohamed ran off and didn't complete the show.
I don't know why he got so upset about having to do the dishes and answer some questions?

That disgusting white man in the pub is lucky he wasn't slapped for putting his hand on
the young Muslim girls leg and clearly had no idea at all about what it means to be British.

I also thought that Damon did very well and was pleased to see how welcome he was made at the mosque.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > 'Make Bradford British'