Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Wearing the burka in the UK.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SteveNaive
Msg: 76
Wearing the burka in the UK.Page 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Nope. but you got there in the end anyway

Raqs sharqi is middle eastern belly dancing and confusing it with the westernised pap that is seen over here is doing nobody any favours. You have defended one part of Islamic Culture that causes strife and dissent yet attacked another that doesn't. For shame sir
 Trianon123
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Wearing the burka in the UK.
Posted: 3/6/2012 12:24:30 AM
Its easy really, just ban the trappings of religion in public and problem solved - for all of us.....
 pauline2012
Msg: 78
Posted: 3/6/2012 1:05:58 AM
Well it doesn't surprise me that someone is making digs at everything I post.

Here's something to ponder. You don't know me and if you want to discuss this matter further take it off the forums and don't make personal comments about me on here just to draw attention to yourself.

You may not like me or agree with anything I say on here but considering you made the ridiculous comment about having a couple of forum "stalkers" who hang off your every word I'll say that you really maybe want to evaluate that comment.

Or just choose to ignore everything I post from now on and choose to waste your energy on other topics.

Because I have way more going on in my life right now to actually give a monkeys about the constant trolling on here.
 Pud78
Msg: 79
Posted: 3/6/2012 1:33:05 AM
As far as I am aware it isn't illegal to have a covered face in this Country and during the winter months many people have scarves that cover the majority of their face and a full hat and have only their eyes on show.
There are times though that your identification is required to be confirmed and your face recorded and burka wearers should be made too as well and face the same sanctions if they do not follow.
I would be far more fearful of a young adult with a face scarf and hoodie than a burka wearer personally,
 dwight_the
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 2:00:23 AM
I think the people who claim their kids are scared of people in burkha are lying or kids are just picking up on their prejudice .
A lady once said to me ''my granddaughter's dad is a rasta and I could not believe the child is not one bit afraid of him'' LOL

A woman on the bus went over to a Somali woman who was on her phone and say ''hello could you speak English please'' ,the woman could speak English quite well and put that stupid woman in her place..(The stupid woman had children)

Your children pick up the things you say,the way you act,stop destroying their chance for a wonderful life by filling their brain with rubbish .
Be happy with life and live .If my kids were to act scared because someone was wearing different clothing I would educate them instead of wanting to change the people's dress code.
 punkadiddle
Msg: 81
Posted: 3/6/2012 3:14:52 AM

I think the people who claim their kids are scared of people in burkha are lying or kids are just picking up on their prejudice

It is a pointless exercise to attemp valid discussion with those whose only weapons are denial, accusations of prejudice or accusations of lying towards those who do not share their agenda.......pity.
 Pandora0237
Msg: 82
Posted: 3/6/2012 3:53:53 AM
I can see why small children may find someone in a burka scary, to them it must seem like a big, black, faceless shape, and although I know you can reassure them, kids may still find it a bit unsettling, and also I think as somewhat odd. Children learn their cultural trappings from various sources, and whilst eventually they can be conditioned to accept it, whether as a British outsider, or a British Muslim, I still think a small childs response will be honest, and probably full of common sense, and maybe one that is pretty telling...

With regard to the remark about saving their beauty for their husband, modesty is a good trait , we in the west could perhaps prescribe to it a bit more, however, wearing a hijab, and covering your body is sufficient surely, to half stifle yourself, affect your vision, and I would imagine diminish (even if only in a small way) your own connection with your own small children particular babies if you are out in public, is just unnecessary in terms of being modest. I can t imagine what it would be like to for menopausal women to have to suffer one in hot countries either, it certainly would make me feel quite ill.
 CharityTrue
Msg: 83
Posted: 3/6/2012 9:10:17 AM

I think the people who claim their kids are scared of people in burkha are lying or kids are just picking up on their prejudice

Okay, Mr. Know-it-all....
think about it for a moment...
Anyone, the queen of england, nelson mandela, adolph hitler, and mahatma gandhi, bernadette devlin, and Jesus Christ himself will ALL look the same in a head-to-toe gown covering every inch of them and a metal mask on their face only showing the eyes like this...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_g--Q5Ya6yYE/TFYZBixpDoI/AAAAAAAAEvU/tdcEpXpqaH0/s400/metallic+mask+niqab.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40157000/jpg/_40157334_woman_burqa203.jpg
How can you be prejudiced of someone you cannot see?
I am neither lying, scared nor prejudiced...Just honest...
IMHO western nations should follow suit of the islamic ones, Impose our values on everyone...when in rome.... westerners are not free to dress "immodestly" in islamic countries, western women are forced to wear hijab. we must respect their culture, no alcohol, no driving in saudi. So, why is it okay for the burqua, nijab which hide a person's very own personal identity and consequently cause a feeling of apprehension/anxiety in many people's minds here why is it allowed?
In doing so we we are tacitly acquiescing with the belief that the sight of a woman's very face, her personal identity is so sexually inflammatory to men that it must be covered up entirely is an indefensible, absolutely dehumanising attitude... Nothing to do with modesty and everything to do with control... If you want to wear it, then move where it is "acceptable"/normal... It isn't here, and I support france's and belgium's decision to assert their right to ban it...

It is a pointless exercise to attemp valid discussion with those whose only weapons are denial, accusations of prejudice or accusations of lying towards those who do not share their agenda.......pity.

Well said punkadiddle...
 TheLostArt
Msg: 84
Posted: 3/6/2012 10:01:24 AM

IMHO western nations should follow suit of the islamic ones, Impose our values on everyone...when in rome.... westerners are not free to dress "immodestly" in islamic countries, western women are forced to wear hijab. we must respect their culture, no alcohol, no driving in saudi. So, why is it okay for the burqua, nijab which hide a person's very own personal identity and consequently cause a feeling of apprehension/anxiety in many people's minds here why is it allowed?

I totally agree and it was a point I was trying to make earlier, this is sadly bend over and take it Britain, we must adapt to everyone who comes over here rather than the other way around.
 Loumooos
Msg: 85
Posted: 3/6/2012 10:05:41 AM
Force them to wear tracksuits, shaved heads, ugg boots and hooped earrings. Look like a tramp and chat about X Factor!

That will show em..
 Geordie_Colin
Msg: 86
Posted: 3/6/2012 10:08:51 AM
I near blinded a poor dear who was wearing a red Burka while attempting to post a letter in the fog a few weeks ago .
 dwight_the
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 12:58:07 PM

IMHO western nations should follow suit of the islamic ones, Impose our values on everyone...when in rome

Ready to lose the locks then ? (quite western is it?- Not long ago you were not allowed to wear locks in certain settings ,including workplace )

What does Islamic countries have to do with a UK woman wearing Islamic dress ?

I think children live what they learn..hmmm..
 SteveNaive
Msg: 88
Posted: 3/6/2012 1:15:55 PM
Ready to lose the locks then ? (quite western is it?- Not long ago you were not allowed to wear locks in certain settings ,including workplace )

What does Islamic countries have to do with a UK woman wearing Islamic dress ?

I think children live what they learn..hmmm..

That has to be the best answer yet showing the decline of education in the UK
I would ask you. What has Scotland got to do with UK men wearing plaid skirts? but you wouldn't have a clue.
Banning certain items of clothing because of a perceived threat and militant non intergration is not a new thing in this country.
Sometimes you have to take away the toys to get the children to play nice!
 dwight_the
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 2:18:34 PM

That has to be the best answer yet showing the decline of education in the UK
I would ask you. What has Scotland got to do with UK men wearing plaid skirts? but you wouldn't have a clue.
Banning certain items of clothing because of a perceived threat and militant non intergration is not a new thing in this country.
Sometimes you have to take away the toys to get the children to play nice!

So because the ruling class in Britain suppressed Scottish culture hundreds of years ago, they should now be called upon to suppress the culture of another set of British people ?
The suppression of other cultures is not nothing new to Britain but I was of a mind that Britain was a changed place since then .I know about this suppression first hand as I grow up not speaking the language my fore parents might have spoken, or even knowing where they were from before they got to Jamaica or even knowing who they were when they got there.
You can probably type in a computer on one of those ancestry site and find everything about you going back several hundred years .My search stopped at my Grand mother.(different topic).
I think Britain have move on and should continue to move on .That lady can go into work with her dreadlocks because of such moving on,yet she want to suppress another culture because Islamic countries do so to non-Islamic people..Why not freedom for all ?
 fat-trucker
Msg: 90
Posted: 3/6/2012 2:32:54 PM
Oh look mummy..why is that person all coverd up?

Thats because she used to live in another country darlin,and thats how they dressed.

Ok mum just wondered...(goes back to play football)...and not really givin a toss.

You lot wanna worry about your own daughters,and worry about what they are looking like.

Who the fcuk lives in fear of a burka.......

Someone that keeps going on about it!!!!
 *rem*
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 2:40:53 PM
You have defended one part of Islamic Culture that causes strife and dissent yet attacked another that doesn't. For shame sir

No sir i didn't. Any woman that wants to shake her tic tacs at me is ok in my book, veil or no veil.
Edit: I have no problem with the fact that a drivers license requires a full face photograph but the idea that a veil cant be worn while driving i silly. If the police arrest someone then unveil them by all means but there has to be a crime before you invade someones privacy, not infringe their rights to ensure they don't.
Its no different or less annoying than me being held by police for no reason untill they realised i was a teacher then let me go without question. THAT is oppression.
 BobHaro
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 3:24:57 PM
If the woman in question is wearing the Burka from her own free will, then fine. Sexy it will never be certainly...there's something to be said for leaving a little to the imagination...but leaving ALL of it to the imagination is a bit of a bridge too far. Fashionable...not really, unless you count the height of fashion to be looking like a Ninja.

As for the Islamic connections well...I view women as my equal, they have just as much to offer the world as me. Islam does not seem to view women as equal to men. Because of this I can never accept Islam either as a religion, or as a way of life. It does look like to many of us not of the Islam faith that the burka is used to salve the ego's of insecure men, or controlling men. What further does not help the Islamic cause is the increasing number of nutty clerics with their cries of 'kill the infidels'.

In truth, your average man, or woman on the street is tired of all the bullshit, tired of sorting out other countries and tired of constant and unremitting immigration from here there and everywhere...

In comparison to that, some woman dressed as a Ninja is not that much of a problem.

Bob.
 badge73
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 3:27:09 PM
Just a question ... What would happen if a bloke decided to wear a balaclava or scream mask wondering around a local parks in the night? And what reaction would it get from society?

SteveNaive
Msg: 94
Posted: 3/6/2012 4:15:33 PM
You know I read some of these posters and I laugh. We have certain freedoms in this country because those that went before us fought hard against all sorts of obstacles and hard and unpleasant decisions were made for a greater good but these things go in circles and we are back to losing certain freedoms and having to make hard descions because people cannot play nice together full stop. At the moment I'm hearing leave certain cultures alone and let them enjoy the GREAT freedom because I'm from a certain culture and I've been oppressed because of it but I haven't a clue about what I'm defending because telling people what to do is a bad thing is enough. Of course being from my culture and upbringing I wouldn't have a clue about oppression but then I was only a Catholic brought up in a Protestant area, I wouldn't understand being picked out for being different because the three coppers that give me a kicking in a cell done it for a lark and it had nothing to do with wearing a Celtic top and having an Irish surname etc etc etc. So the answer is if you want equality let everyone do what they want because everyone is nice, caring and plays nice together. Well go take a Bible and preach the word outside a Mosque on a fri night and give a few of the burqa clad women a big friendly hug I'm sure they'll greet you with open arms or walk around Ibrox Park in a Celtic top and have a bit witty banter with the locals because thats the nice friendly UK you seem to live in. Me I'll live in the real UK and understand we'll never live in peace and harmony because every group has there own selfish agenda and sometimes a boot up the arse is the only way to keep moving this little free country fantasy forward and if one true oppressed muslim woman gets a little taste of what you take for granted them the boot was worth it.
 *rem*
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 4:34:50 PM
Wearing hostile colours in a particular area or purposely causing religeous/racial tension is incitement and the police have powers to deal with that.
Wiki: The rationale of incitement matches the general justification underpinning the other inchoate offences of conspiracy and attempt by allowing the police to intervene before a criminal act is completed and the harm or injury is actually caused.

Driving to work doesnt come close.
 SteveNaive
Msg: 96
Posted: 3/6/2012 4:37:28 PM

So because the ruling class in Britain suppressed Scottish culture hundreds of years ago, they should now be called upon to suppress the culture of another set of British people

No they kicked the moss runners into touch by removing their tartan to stop it as a rallying point for strife and dissent then once there was peace in the Union massive strides were made towards the freedom fantasy you enjoy and I see Scotland is still Scotland and the Scottish are still Scottish so a bit of a piss poor performance on the English suppressionists there. Braveheart is to Scottish history as Laurence of Arabia is to Islamic Culture. I Like to get my Knowledge from books not movies
 SteveNaive
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/6/2012 4:46:17 PM

Wearing hostile colours in a particular area or purposely causing religeous/racial tension is incitement and the police have powers to deal with that

It was Tynemouth not Belfast or Glasgow. Oppression knows no colour or culture and hatred is universal thats why incitement and hatred laws were brought in and the burqa has been made a tool of that hatred and incitement on both sides of the idiot brigade. Remove the excuse you remove the problem
 CharityTrue
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/6/2012 8:04:42 PM

Just a question ... What would happen if a bloke decided to wear a balaclava or scream mask wondering around a local parks in the night? And what reaction would it get from society?

The initial psychological effect is the same... Balaclava, hoodie, burqua... You don't know who you're dealing with and it's disconcerting...Of course i don't expect a burqua-d woman to mug me, the way I'd react to some kid covering his face with a hoodie and bandana...
Also, there are Amazonian tribes whose native dress consists of a thin belt... Now all things being fair, why should they not dress exactly how they want to when they come here (aside from the sceamingly obvious fact of the cold wet climate)? They would be arrested for indecency here for doing what comes naturally to them... Just as we would be arrested for kissing in public or having an alcoholic drink in the gulf states. And the bare-breasted beauties from the south seas and africa, why do they not walk around as God intended here, because they respect the culture in which they are guests, it is considered polite to respect the ways of your host country.

So, why is it okay for the burqua, nijab which hide a person's very own personal identity and consequently cause a feeling of apprehension/anxiety in many people's minds here why is it allowed?
In doing so we we are tacitly acquiescing with the belief that the sight of a woman's very face, her personal identity is so sexually inflammatory to men that it must be covered up entirely is an indefensible, absolutely dehumanising attitude... Nothing to do with modesty and everything to do with control... If you want to wear it, then move where it is "acceptable"/normal... It isn't here

repeating my point because I feel it's important...
Until quite recently I thought "let people wear whatever they want!"
But then thinking about it, I don't know how many women choose to wear the burqua (which restricts movement and vision and must surely contravene every health and safety statute umaginable) without some outside male societal influence... I remember reading about wearing it in Afghanistan, how it was considered shameful and a woman risked her life not wearing it... That, uh, kind of bothers me... to each his own in matters of religion and preference, but it's a slippery slope... If it's made easy, acceptable here; are we not depriving muslim women of the same freedom every human deserves? To not feel the need to walk down the street in a massive black robe? I'm not saying , muslim women should act like their non-muslim sisters; but surely it's easy enough to see/understand how the imposition of such a draconian dress code is overtly controlling and can be easily abused by muslim men... I think by following the french model we, as a society, make an important stand for our values; personal freedom being chief among them. People desperate to wear such garments , have the choice to live where they are the norm...
Another issue people aren't dealing with here is the psychological effect of the mindset which divides women as honorable/worthy/clean/decent as those covered head to toe and what about those of us who don't wear it? How are we viewed by those muslim men? Whores to a woman? We, our mothers, sisters, nieces and daughters are all whores?
I guess this is the mindset created that preys on little english girls for paedophile rings. How would you feel if your non-muslim daughter went to a school where the boys thought like that?
I think there is more to this issue than the token knee-jerk responses and I am glad to see this being discussed. Makes a person think...
 helen1981
Msg: 99
Posted: 3/6/2012 8:57:38 PM
Can I just say that I'm a feminist and think banning the burka is anti feminist so will people stop claiming that to do it is a feminist thing to do. Banning it is the state telling women what they can and can't wear so very anti feminist.
 hoof_hearted_
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 9:35:26 PM
imagine if western society answer to the burka, that our women had to wear mini skirts and stockings, not a bad idea in my view but would never happen, im sure a lot of men would agree
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Wearing the burka in the UK.