Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > First DUI - Ignition Interlock Device      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 soicat
Msg: 26
First DUI - Ignition Interlock DevicePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Ive never heard about this but then again Im in Canada, and I think California is doing a good thing

Canada is tougher - there's a minimum one year driving prohibition for a first conviction for over .08 or impaired driving. Also, British Columbia has an Interlock Ignition program, and you don't need to be convicted of a DUI to be sent to it; a 30 day Immediate Roadside Suspension or three 24 hour IR suspensions in 5 years will do it (you get the suspensions for blowing under the criminal limit but over an administrative limit).
 grove_22
Msg: 27
First DUI - Ignition Interlock Device
Posted: 3/11/2012 10:55:34 AM
It is well-documented that alcohol impairs one's ability to drive. It's not that difficult of a concept....if you are going to drink (even one glass of wine), arrange an alternative to get home! Call a cab/friend/family member, walk, take the bus, etc... but don't be such an ass as to take other motorists'/pedestrians' lives into your hands and get behind the wheel because you "think" you're okay to drive. Anyone who has gotten behind the wheel after drinking has shown a complete disregard for others' well-being and is not someone I would want in my life. To consider it other people's "loss" for not having a drunk driver in their life shows your own view on it. I don't consider it any loss at all in my life to not have an irresponsible piece of sh*t in it.

Many people can have 1-2 beers and can be able to drive without any problems. Different people have different tolerances for alcohol. It depends on body type, the type of alcohlic beverage, rate of consumption, how much you ate etc. The serious DUI related accidents often involve people who were well above the legal limit. Not people who had just 1-2 beers.
 VixenOfForums
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/11/2012 11:30:29 AM

Needless to say, it is awkward and embarrassing. I won't complain about how I don't deserve it, but just curious when and how to discuss it.

Awkward and embarrassing is not having a license or car impounded. OP - you were given a slap on the wrist. Count your blessings and stop looking to put blame where it doesn't belong.

I think it should be mentioned before meeting. Its not your call whether someone accepts you because of it. These devices can be rigged (google it). I would NEVER feel comfortable with you behind the wheel of a car. Its up to your date if she chooses to go or not - you did put yourself in that position. Bad choices have consequences. You now have to deal with the hand you were dealt and stop justifying why you were wrongly accused.
 Isis_feline
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/11/2012 11:39:37 AM

How many people can honestly say that they never got in their car after drinking

ME!!!!!

my 2 little step brothers, out walking thier dog watched a drunk driver plow into thier dog.......a few seconds earlier and it would have been them......

if I drink I take a taxi......period!

people will always have dealbreakers, this would be one of mine, it will limit your dating pool somewhat just as being a smoker, overweight, religious, a virgin, etc are all examples of things that can reduce your dating pool.......

take a taxi or walk to dates till summer?
 VixenOfForums
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/11/2012 11:46:38 AM

my 2 little step brothers, out walking thier dog watched a drunk driver plow into thier dog.......a few seconds earlier and it would have been them......

if I drink I take a taxi......period!

Omg those poor kids - I hope they were able to get over this. I'm not sure if as an adult I would be able to.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 12:23:13 PM
M chruch:

I know that purely from a tolerance level I don't get drunk on the "legal limit" or anywhere close to it.... but I have to comply with a law designed for the lowest common denominator...

Wow. You must be quite the human specimen. Perhaps you should apply for an exemption. I, in contrast, am a mere mortal and can feel the buzz from a single beer. When I drive I stick to tea.
 OneGodfather
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/11/2012 12:26:56 PM

How many people can honestly say that they never got in their car after drinking
Im another one, I will never get into a car let alone my car even If I have one drink, Ive met folks from here at a pub and I will not have one drink, If I do go out with friends for drinks we have one designated driver or will spring for a cab.
 m_church
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 12:44:11 PM

Wow. You must be quite the human specimen. Perhaps you should apply for an exemption

I wish.... LOL

The fact is, I'm a big guy, and let's face it the bigger you are, the less a couple of beers will affect you...
That being said, whereas I might consider driving after 1 or 2 beers... especially if a large meal was involved... I'd never ever do it after even one shot of liquor... It's weird, and really makes no sene, but beer barely affects me and yet, liquour hits me like a ton of bricks... I stay away from liquour for the most part... I don't like being drunk/losing any control etc... I always found that with liquour, by the time you think you've had too much, it's already too late, as you have the last shot or two still to absorb...
Beer seems better as you pace it out a lot more... ie unless you're a kid, you don't chug a beer but shots tend to be one mouthful or two and you're on your way to stupidity...
 m_church
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 12:47:35 PM
Considering the topic, I just had to post this old joke....

One night, a police officer was stalking out a particularly rowdy bar for possible violations of the driving under the influence laws. At closing time, he saw a fellow stumble out of the bar, trip on the curb, and try his keys on five different cars before he found his.

Then, he sat in the front seat fumbling around with his keys for several minutes. Everyone left the bar and drove off. The officer waited patiently for the fellow to get his car going. Finally, he started his engine and began to pull away.

The police officer was waiting for him. He stopped the driver, read him his rights and administered the Breathalyzer test. The results showed a reading of 0.0. The puzzled officer demanded to know how that could be. The driver replied, "Tonight, I'm the Designated Decoy."
 medic5678
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 2:03:44 PM
what i'd do is lay low until it's over... it's not THAT long. and then i'd never put myself in a position to deal with that again. wouldn't this be a good time to forget dating and think more about self improvement so you can be ready to put your best foot forward in july?

and actually, i think it's a great law. it's a huge thing to get into a car and start it if you're impaired. ask someone who lost a loved one, an eye or a limb to someone who "just had a few drinks". i've actually met those people in my job. they are real people who were only in the wrong place at the wrong time and who payed a huge price so someone else could "relax and have a few drinks". it is one of the most self centered and thoughtless things someone can possibly do.

you don't have to tell me that you'll think this out better next go around, because i'm sure you will after this experience. now, how about making something positive out of it?
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 2:06:48 PM
Just to let you know that the interlock are very easy to bypass. I had a company where we were installing those devices. The all thing was nothing more then a gold mine, For everyone involved. Dont feel bad about having it. We installed interlock devices on some judges cars and cop personl cars as well.
 Maleman999
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 2:28:10 PM
Out of all of the women who say they wouldn't date the OP or anyone else who had a DWI charge, how many of these women did something stupid in their lives, and are preaching "What I did in my past is nobody's business. When I start dating someone, the past is the past and it's nobody's business but mine. End of story". There have been numerous threads with hoards of people who are preaching this message. So using the same philosophy, the OP shouldn't mention anything about this, since it happened in the past. Especially after the device is removed from his car. People have selective judgement.
 Wolfpath
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 3:54:22 PM
Ya left out texting and talking on the idiot phone while driving . .
Fast becoming the most dangerous past time for drivers . . No "impairment" needed.

From what I observe on a daily basis as a rider and delivery truck driver?

50% of the people don't need a cellphone, or a bucket of booze to be dangerous while driving - they ARE idiots.

Just Sayin.

The OP stresses at least twice that it isn't about 'dodging' the consequences of his mistake. Hopefully he's one of the ones that learns the first time around.

While people are re-hacking and hashing the 'consequence' factor . . they're missing his question.
 VixenOfForums
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/11/2012 6:11:05 PM
The OP stresses at least twice that it isn't about 'dodging' the consequences of his mistake. Hopefully he's one of the ones that learns the first time around.

Um, he is in denial:

Needless to say, it is awkward and embarrassing. I won't complain about how I don't deserve it, but just curious when and how to discuss it.

My concern – awkward and embarrassing yet he still drives. He has no gratitude just cares what women will think. Ugh! He asked what we thought and we told him. Isn't that what forums are all about? If you expect to get the answer you want to hear then pay a madame.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/11/2012 7:56:05 PM
Enough. I'm not in denial. If I didn't care what women think I wouldn't have posted. I appreciate the responses of those that kept the thread on topic and didn't go off the tracks to further judge me. I still drive because the law allows me too. Get over yourself...
 VixenOfForums
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/11/2012 7:58:36 PM
Enough. I'm not in denial. If I didn't care what women think I wouldn't have posted. I appreciate the responses of those that kept the thread on topic and didn't go off the tracks to further judge me. I still drive because the law allows me too. Get over yourself...

No, get over yourself. This wasn't the first time you drove drunk - it was the first time you got caught! You're attacking because women don't trust you. Oh well. The law allows you to drive because of your fancy lawyer. In New York your azz would be behind bars!! Wah wah wah ... too privileged to accept responsibility and care about those that have to get in the car you drive. Women - just look past all of that - he's remorseful so you must feel safe now.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/11/2012 8:01:14 PM
No lawyer you ignorant fool. I got what I deserved.
 VixenOfForums
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/11/2012 8:08:16 PM
No lawyer you ignorant fool. I got what I deserved.

Really then why post:

Do your kids have the right NOT to feel safe when you drive them or is it just women that don't count? Now, if you do drink then the car gets disabled so will you pay for cab fare from the middle of nowhere? These are consequences for your choices. I didn't make them up.
 OzzGirl22
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/11/2012 8:21:37 PM
If it were me I would probably lie low until July.
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 8:34:23 PM

In New York your azz would be behind bars!!

After a first 23152 A&B? There is a possibility up to 1 year. Usually its dumbed down to fines and a minimum 3 year informal probation.

He's not in NY anyway, so this is a moot point.

Jails are overcrowded as is. Gen Pop would kick him out after a few days anyhow. Misdemeanors rarely get any jail time.
Most New Yorkers take a taxi or walk anyway.
 1best_woman
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:58:43 AM
I wouldn't mention it. It's only until July. Simply don't drink during your dates or if you drink, then take public transportation, a taxi etc. So that this doesn't potentially become a problem.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:08:51 AM
I once talked to an educated, intelligent man from POF who lived several hours away from me. After two weeks or so we made tentative plans to meet but he wanted me to drive to his town. When I pressed for why, it turned out that his license had been pulled for several DUIs and he wouldn’t be eligible to get it back for a year or so.

No, thanks. To some women, and men, it is a big deal,

I wouldn't date a man who drinks and drives--or who drinks to get drunk.

OP, you need to tell a woman before meeting her.

Number 1 cause of fatal accidents: Distracted driving. (People who causes accidents when he/she is talking/texting on a cell phone should have their licenses pulled.)

Number 2: Speeding.

Number 3: Drunk drivers.

http://seriousaccidents.com/legal-advice/top-causes-of-car-accidents/

50 to 75% of convicted drunk drivers continue to drive on a suspended license. http://www.madd.org/statistics/

By the way, under the law, drinking is a much more serious offense than speeding. I received ONE speeding ticket in my 40 years of driving: I won't ever get another one. It cost me $100 (I didn't try to weasel out of paying the fine: I was speeding) but my insurance didn't go up, I didn't need a device to put on my car to limit my speed, and I was not arrested and taken to jail.

Saying that people who speed or run stop signs also cause accidents does not take away from the serious issue of drunk driving. It is like saying, “Oh, yeah, I robbed a bank—the guy down the street did it, too, and I bet you stole a candy bar when you were a kid.”

New York is not as overcrowded as California where YOU live and not where I live. Its amazing how you condone this behavior more than once. Every time someone posts against this behavior you support it.

And I can’t figure out WHY they seem to condone it!
 LuvlyDiane
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:09:22 AM
Thats becoming law in my state too, and so it should
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 4:17:32 PM

.... Dont feel bad about having it. We installed interlock devices on some judges cars and cop personl cars as well.

Huh? Don't feel bad? He should feel like a piece of crap. He was an idiot to drink and drive as he could have killed some kid or whomever. He should be ashamed of himself and scrape his pathetic self off the ground and learn from this incident.

Someone who doesn't feel bad about this type of incident is called a sociopath.
 icallbs
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/12/2012 4:59:51 PM
We've all made mistakes in our lives, but for some (some people, some mistakes) the consequences are just more visible (like the IL device), longer-lasting (i.e. for some potential partners, the fact of your DUI alone will be a deal breaker), or more serious in some other aspect of how they play out in our lives. "Let him who is without sin..." and all that.

I don't condone impaired driving (and one doesn't need to be legally drunk to be impaired, by the way), and I'm not sure how I would react to this aspect of a potential date's life/history. OP, I think you should probably wait it out -- July is right around the corner. But, there is something to be said for the fact that no matter when/if the device is removed from your car, this will likely be something that you may want to disclose to someone if you get to a point where you don't want there to be any secrets between you about your past (after all, you see that a wide cross-section of women might see it as a deal-breaker, even if it were well behind you). So, there is an argument to be made to simply continue to date. Deal with the driving issue if/when it comes up in a natural way, and be direct, honest, completely transparent about how this experience may have informed your thinking about the issue. I think you'll find that many people will at least hear you out. The right one will stay.

By the way, some studies have also shown that driving while sleep-deprived is somewhat equivalent to driving impaired. I don't have the link handy, but I think the Mythbusters guys did a program on this subject a few years ago. Very revealing. And there is no way for a device (that I know of) to measure how sleep-deprived you are when you get behind the wheel. Others have mentioned driving while texting, distracted by cell phone (even hands free, etc.)... Still, these don't carry the stigma of a DUI, and so many would react negatively to a DUI in your past, who would not react in a similar way if someone had caused a serious accident while texting, for example.

Food for thought, anyway. Use good judgment.

To me, OP, what would concern me more that the mere fact of your DUI is that it occurred so recently. I haven't looked at your profile, but you appear to be old enough to know better, and so your lapse in judgment can't readily be chalked up to "live and learn" in the way it could be if it had happened in your youth. If I were dating you and interested in long-term, I would certainly be exploring these subject areas with you in great depth.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > First DUI - Ignition Interlock Device