Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 openminded47
Msg: 951
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 39 of 62    (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62)
ill be deleting account with this now being a paid feature hate when you sign up for something and then they start charging for stuff my guess is many will leave this site
 andy9287
Msg: 952
view profile
History
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:00:49 AM
pfftt not a good move - looks like i wont be using this site any more :(
 CantLiveScared
Msg: 953
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:01:18 AM
I full agree... Specially seeing as how on the main page when you log in it states that the person spent SO much time with the matching formula.... Umm.. 80% of the people on here lie on their profiles, don't think about what they're filling out or even typing at all... So how exactly does that work???? And to view people who you "match" with, it's a PAID feature on a FREE site.... Okay, so in order to see who I ACTUALLY match up with that took the time to fill stuff out like I did, I have to PAY... Otherwise I get stuck with the "trial and error" method???

There are So many dating scripts out there that are basically the SAME exact thing as POF, only look a tad-bit different, though with enough CSS, PHP, HTML and SQL knowledge it wouldn't be hard to do the EXACT same thing as they're doing here...

With unlimited server packages not costing all but $6 a month ($72 a YEAR) and a domain name costing what? anther $6 a YEAR.... Round it up to about $80 for a YEAR!!! So advertisement of say oh, I dunno ONE other place could actually pay for the server AND the domain for an entire YEAR and THEN some.... Get 4 places to advertise on the site, place them 2 on top, two on bottom, or could even also dedicate and entire PAGE to them, pop-ups, links WHATEVER it is, inserts ANYTHING..... That would MORE than pay for it...

Hell.... I get bored a lot... Anyone wants to do that get a hold of me and we'll put up an actual 100% TOTALLY FREE site that offers EVERYTHING at no cost... hahahahahaha... I'dd do the coding, I don't care, as long as I'm in for a percentage of the take from the advertisers... hahahahahahahahaha
 ugottobelieve
Msg: 954
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:01:50 AM
I would rather have the ads around than to do away with the viewed me feature.
 allister_wade
Msg: 955
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:02:23 AM
Bingo

It's highly unlikely that admin will even see these threads or pay much attention to them. They largely ignore the forums and leave it to the moderators to police them. As the moderators have attempted to point out, they don't have any say in the business decisions of admin and only found out about the changes the same way as everyone else.

Personally, I found the viewed me feature to be of limited use as the majority of people who viewed me obviously realized that they didn't have anything in common with me and decided not to message me. The people with whom I shared commonalities usually just messaged me in their own good time.

A lot of people (myself included) have chosen not to let others know that we viewed them, so a very large portion of the people who did view you probably won't show up in your viewed me page anyways.

You people can stomp your feet all you want. It's unlikely to change anything and as long as more people keep joining POF, admin won't see any reason to reverse their decision.

If you don't like it, go to another site, but keep in mind that most of the other sites will charge you for the features that POF still provides for free and that the other free sites have very limited membership numbers.

I think the idea is if the forums are flooded enough the moderators will have to take that occurring back to the admins.

As already stated we do not have any special way of "taking things back to admin." If you want your message to be heard, please re-read message 1 of this thread.

That's great that you personally think that, but yours is one of the 50 or so posts that don't mind this change out of the 1000 posts here. PERSONALLY I find it very helpful, I won't respond to a message if I don't see the user in my viewed me or they don't mention something from my profile.

We get it, you don't use this feature, that's fine, 95% of users here do use it though. How many people my age do you think even know that setting exists? **** half the girls my age don't know how to write a profile it seems.

Stomp our feet. Could you be anymore condescending? How about "You're a woman who needs a dating site". And you've been here for 7 years. How's being a condescending **** working for you?

The users don't like this change, we want it changed back, do you see another possible way of accomplishing that than posting here? It probably won't do a thing, but it's better than just accepting.
 BaldEagleMo
Msg: 956
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:14:18 AM
POF A 100% free dating site (MY ASS)Veiwed me is suppose to be a part of that free dating site and now you want to charge for it.Someone aught to sue you for false advertising!!!!!!!!!!
 willybilly52
Msg: 957
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:17:55 AM
I think I might just start my OWN dating site and make it TRUELY free........but with ads!!!

LOL
 nworba
Msg: 958
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:34:09 AM
Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest 100% free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

This should be removed from the top of the of uk forum pages.... its just not true any more.
 JACOBS QUEST
Msg: 959
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:41:22 AM
SINCE I COULD NOT CONTACT THE PROVIDERS OF THIS SITE. I DECIDED TO SAY WHAT NEEDS TO BE STATED HERE.

1) you can email admin directly at:csr@pof.com

2) or you can contact admin via his profile at: Bigfish

THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE A FREE SITE AND AS TIME GOES ON THEY DECIDE TO REMOVE MORE AND MORE FEATURES AWAY FROM THE FREE SIDE AND THIS GIVES YOU ONLY THE CHOICES OF UPGRADING OR PUTTING UP WITH CHANGES OR QUITTING THE SITE. I TRULY BELIEVE QUITTING THE SITE WOULD GIVE THEM THE CORRECT MESSAGE. ADDING MORE FEATURES IF YOU BECOME A MEMBER IS EXPECTED BUT TAKING AWAY THE ORIGINAL FEATURES AND WHAT I THINK ARE BASICS OF THIS TYPE OF WEB BASED DISCOVERY IN DATING IS WRONG, THEY TOOK AWAY SEEING YOUR MESSAGE WAS READ BY THE MESSAGE-E AND NOW THE ABILITY TO VIEW WHO HAS VIEWED YOUR PROFILE. I THINK THE PROVIDERS NEED TO RETHINK THEIR ORIGINAL FORMULA FOR GETTING TO WHERE THEY ARE BY PEOPLE THAT STARTED TO TALK ABOUT THEM. I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE THE MONEY ON A DATING SITE THAT IS NOT A NECESSITY TO MEET SOMEONE, SOUNDS LIKE I'M CHEAP NOT SO. I HAVE PAID FOR A DATING SITE BEFORE AND FOUND OUT THEY WERE NOT BETTER THAN A FREE SITE THEY BASICALLY STILL DEPEND ON KISMET IF WAS MEANT TO BE IT SHALL BE.
 Shatteredciv
Msg: 960
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:54:43 AM
Sounds like a plan - making a 100% free site. If POF can do it, so can anyone else. I have a degree in Web Design and have administered various webpages myself. Database coding is out of my league however.
 BuggSuperstar
Msg: 961
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:54:58 AM
Why wreck a good thing? This site has always been full of bugs and wasn't worth a penny. The beauty of it was that it was free.

I don't think they realized that MANY people on here, like me, were very hesitant about online dating, but joined because it was free. Now people will include 10 other sites in their choices.

DOES FACEBOOK CHARGE MONEY? How rich is mark zutterberg!!!? Bring on the adds, you greedy sob's.
 darksilent
Msg: 962
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:58:19 AM
wow it sucks you got rid of the viewed me, that was one of teh things that made me feel good about myself is knowing that atleast woman did check me out, that boost made my day and im sure it does that to others, we should have to pay for that so please just keep the ads we like it free.
 Ken767
Msg: 963
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:12:53 AM
Either be a paid site or a free site but don't try to be both. If your going to be a paid site then I will cancel my membership. Just let us know what it is you want to do so we can go to another free site with all the features. POF got as big as it is by providing qualite service for free, YOUR GOING TO LOSE A LOT OF PEOPLE IF YOU KEEP THIS KINDA STUFF UP.........
 unfortunatelywed
Msg: 964
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:15:50 AM
Good Afternoon,
I am a fan and a user of POF for several years.
I have used both free and pay sites off and on for over 10 years now.
I have a suggestion about your new "Pay to Play or View" changes.
Why not offer "a la carte" ordering of specific features?
For example: $1-2 a month for "View Me", "Meet Me", "Ultra Match", "View Mail Status" and other features. Make it so someone would have to "Try It" for a minimum of 3 months which would offset the cost of processing more smaller transactions. This would still generate a tremendous boost in fees but offer people a much milder entry into the idea of paying for a service they have been using for free for so long.

Being a veteran of many now defunct or dying dating sites, I know that their death was generally attributed to a lack of accessibility versus rising costs to gain access. The public is a fickle mistress, look at what happened to "My Space" after Facebook took off.

I admire your success with POF and remain a loyal and happy user. I would quickly opt for the "A la Carte" menu if offered, but I remain hesitant to pay $7-12 per month for an all access pass.

I hope this idea finds it's way to becoming an option for building revenues and quelling your ever more vocal detractors.
 Garyfisher_
Msg: 965
view profile
History
 Steveo480
Msg: 966
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:17:05 AM
Facebook killed mysapce and eventualy the same thing will happen to this site and they know it so thier cashing in before the bottom falls out. Remember its the people who made this site what it is and if it comes down to it we all can end up somewhere else and pof will still be here listening to the sound of crickets. lol
 ScottishLad2278
Msg: 967
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:18:28 AM

I am not happy with the way POF is going with everything going paid, I think I am gonna leave and I love POF to bits
 ScottishLad2278
Msg: 968
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:20:20 AM
HERE HERE!!
 myndqair
Msg: 969
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:23:02 AM
Bottom line: Just a ploy to get more revenue. Ads will be always be there. No one complains of ads on a free site.

Shame on you POF for getting GREED...IER...after having adding pay requirements to other previously free options.
 CantLiveScared
Msg: 970
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:31:47 AM
Lets see how long it takes to charge for viewing RECEIVED messages now.... Oh, I'm sure SENDING will always be free... But of COURSE in order to read their reply, it's going to end up having to be a PAID feature.....
 darby1957
Msg: 971
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:33:43 AM
Rather than paying for this I will just go back to zoosk ,better site
 JustaCrow
Msg: 972
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:42:01 AM
So you lure us here with "100% FREE!", get popular because of this, then slowly remove things you attracted us with in the first place in hopes we won't protest too much. I've found I can forgive a lie, but I'm not sure I've ever been able to forget one.
 hibby7
Msg: 973
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:45:52 AM
Well done POF.....you have just shot your self in the foot......If folk cant use that viewed me feature they will walk and I doubt they will come back.....this is all about money grabbing.... I for one wont be part it......hopefully some one will come to there senses and reverse this awful policy decision
 beabillionaire
Msg: 974
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:49:41 AM
If you guys think this site is not making a KILLING off of ad revenue, you are a fool. Just look at facebook, or google as to how they have so much money. They don't charge anything.

If you want to use paypal for ads you have to deposit a "non refundable" (as i am learning now) $400. All internet marketers know that POF traffic is the most targeted traffic (besides fb) because you can advertise by age, race, even WEIGHT, anything.
He's laughing all the way to the bank with ad revenue.
 ssge
Msg: 975
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:58:49 AM
Maybe this is why they had to change it to a pay site... who knows...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/28/peter-burks-plentyoffish/
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE