Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 frued1961
Msg: 126
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments herePage 6 of 62    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
The one tool that helped me find someone that might be interested in aperson is taken away from the free site. It is probably the most used item here and really just feels like once you like something the company wants you to pay for it. reminds me of the Ole Bait and Switch
 Seekingmate4life
Msg: 127
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:12:27 PM
"Our goal at POF is to charge for addon features that allow us to make enough money so that we can eventually remove all advertising from the site."

The viewed me feature is NOT an addon, it was part of the original site. If you add new stuff and want to charge then by all means do. But don't start piecing out existing features and start charging it as an "addon". Thats total BS. This site needs a helluva lot of upgrading if you think its paysite worthy.
 VideoDirector2012
Msg: 128
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:13:13 PM
I believe CBS 60 Minutes reports plentyoffish.com makes 10 Million per year.

If it does make $10Million per year... even 2 million per year.
Why is everything being changed to paid features.
 VideoDirector2012
Msg: 129
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:14:01 PM
if this were another site where you can click like on comments... I definitely agree with the above. This wasn't an "Addon"
 dshook
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:14:06 PM
even if it went to a total pay site I really dought they would get rid of all the advertisements.
 bowfisherdxt
Msg: 131
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:14:44 PM
Bad idea. I will be gone.
 Dan0777
Msg: 132
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:15:43 PM
Check the top of the page: !!!!!!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest 100% free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

(bolds mine)

what bs
 Davidmcl
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:16:36 PM
Serious thumbs down. If this doesn't get reversed i'll definitely stop coming to pof.com
 infp_in_ottawa
Msg: 134
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:16:43 PM
Not cool.

You're taking away one of the best and most used features. Rather than getting some people to pay, you'll just drive away a lot more who decide to take their love lives elsewhere.

You should have made some other peripheral features pay only, so that the bulk of the users could still enjoy the site.
 jimmyjackblack
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:17:14 PM
I can't really say that it's an improvement to the site. One can't simply replace a free feature and then call it 'value added'. Business 101, folks.

It won't be too long until 'plenty of fish' is false advertising.
 Right_Bayou
Msg: 136
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:17:17 PM
Everything I had to say was said within the first half dozen posts.

Keep up this pace and I'll join the members leaving.
 lakeguy12
Msg: 137
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:17:27 PM
I think it's crap, you're already making money off advertising, Why make the site members suffer? After all, this site used to post that it was a totally free site and seemed to be proud of it. The advertising doesnt bother most members least of all me. I think this one is going to bite you in the ass and you're gonna lose alot of members.
 LittleBitNerdyGuy
Msg: 138
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:17:37 PM
Thanks for the advice people on using . Signing up now!
 NS_88_22
Msg: 139
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:17:55 PM
"Our goal at POF is to charge for addon features that allow us to make enough money so that we can eventually remove all advertising from the site."

Pretty sure that "Viewed Me" was a standard feature for the last several years...

I could understand charging for features that are added moving forward, BUT NOT features we had access to previously!
 freethink77
Msg: 140
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:19:36 PM
really? ...'viewed me' is now 'pay-only' as well ?!?!

i agree with many of the sentiments expressed so far on this issue...

-" I have visited some profiles more then once because the thumbnail pics were just very small and you didn't realize who it was until you clicked "
----->yes ive clicked out of curiosity to see a pic better... or trying to read something in one of the profile pics... and I've clicked on a pic just to report the image for 'not being a current headshot' on several occasions.

-"this site seems to be headed in the direction of a paid site, so many other free features are now only available if you pay for them. I understand running a site costs money, but seriously, just use advertisements. If this keeps up, I'm going elsewhere, and I am sure I am not alone."
-----> yeah, i personally will not paying for any dating service
(and, if i was willing to pay, there are other sites i would give my money to more willingly to than pof!) ... eventually if it is transformed into mostly 'pay-only' features, i'll def be coming to the site less.

-"The viewed me feature is what drives communication."
-------->to some degree yes, i looked at everyones profile that has viewed mine(or i used to anyway!) ...but i also have used the interest search occasionally.

"Annoying your users so much is the best thing the competition could ask for..."
------> yes... i definitely see much annoyance/irritation/anger from many people in the comments on this post...

"Certain specialty features went behind a paid wall (such as seeing whether your mail was read or deleted, etc.)..... Truthfully - with the ability to set your profile up so that others don't see that you viewed them, "Viewed Me" is not a huge loss to me either. But, what I see here is an eventual precedent ...., and you'll not be able to use the site at all without paying for it....I choose to not throw money at a dating site .... If this site becomes a predominantly paid site, I will be gone."
--------> yes, i will be here less and less as more stuff goes behind the 'paid wall'

"And if you're gonna make it a "pay option" then put in code that makes it such that if you're not paying for it, it's not even there! Ugh! Nothing more annoying than seeing it there on the top right corner of my screen mocking me. "
--------> agreed, highly annoying !!!

"All those saying it was a useless feature, I COMPLETELY AGREE!! but that is not the point. The point is it was free and seeing if people read your messages was free and now its not."
----------> yup!

"....3 letters for ya... okc....seen the exact same users over there and many are migrating daily. ... my matches are the exact same 15 chicks every single day... I've been a user of this site on and off for years now and i've never seen any improvements to the layout or functionality... just more and more features being taken away."
-----------> mmhmm

"I just think it's wrong to charge for a feature that was part of the free membership. Give new features to paying members, that's fine, but the old features should not be changed."
------------> agreed

"By the amount of threads, views and posts I'd say there's a lot that will be leaving, me included. May want to rethink your decision Marcus!"
AND
"The real reason they are trying to get rid of paid advertising is that it does not pay very much. Most of the time it only pays if someone actually clicks on the actual advertisement!"
---------> yes marcus/admin ...feeling lotsa irritation!! ... i hope you do a cost benefit analysis on this situation and are able to find a way to meet your needs (as well as the needs of your customers and members.)

"from a user who has had some successses on this site i am calling major foul, number 1, you, the owner, moderator, whatever, cant afford your server cost because you didnt have the hindsite that so many users would join this site and that since you, the owner, cant afford the cost of your server that means we, the users, have to pay you to pay for your server? ...you took away the feature where you can see whether or not some read/didnt read your messages.....Viewed me allows users to see what kind of people are attracted or possibly attracted to that and so many dates can happen that way. I am not going to pay you a single cent sir......realize that you are making users more pissed off and that people will eventually run to other sites ..."
-------------> yes, frustration and anger, i hear ya

"Take away the video chat option...I'm sure that's expensive to run. "
------------> totally! i always take it to skype or g+ hangout ...the IM on pof is really wonky and i don't mess with it.

"The site is getting more and more bogged down with "PAID" features...sincerely makes me lose interest in the site all together."

'viewed me' was the last thing to be taken... not 'the last straw' though... it is a free site afterall...

... i have been on here for a couple years. I've noticed that pof has moved several things that used to be free to the 'paid features' ...you used to be able to see who had read/deleted your emails too...

i am irritated by this and find myself wondering what will be the next thing that becomes pay only...

...........wow.... as i typed this post, the page count went from 3 to 6!!! lotsa pissed off people... hope it gets figured out soon...
 Right_Bayou
Msg: 141
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:20:07 PM
Remember that we are the largest 100% free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

So much for truth in advertising....
 wilmaciii
Msg: 142
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:21:48 PM
sorry but thats going too far. that was really the only decent feature left, if I know someone was curious enough to check my profile, I am able to decide how to react and discover more about them, given the poor quality of your search engine (my matches that is) this tab should have been left alone. but if you insist, may I suggest you do something more with the matches section. (example) I don't drink but I'm matched with people who do. I'm extreamly religious but I get matched with people who aren't at all. while I'm not judging, these kind of things are deal closers for ALOT of people yet it's really something that requires an advanced search why? it's a waste. I would hope that your company reconsiders or makes things at least appealing to free members cause right now ya really got nothing.
 forrestcarter
Msg: 143
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:23:15 PM
I wonder how long they'll be the largest, as it looks like many of the users here have started moving over to instead. Wish a much better site and matching system, I don't see why not. Plus you can still see who viewed you for free over there... BAM!

(I am now leaving this site for OKC)
 spcd
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:23:58 PM
I understand why you are doing it - but I don't understand why you think it is ok to take away something you advertised as free from us that have been on here - make it a paid feature for everyone that signs up from here on out and leave it as it was for those of us that signed up with that as a free feature.
 outofnothing
Msg: 145
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:26:19 PM

I think it is crazy! Just cause this site got named in a law suit for using an ad that showed a deceased person. So the users have to lose features and become a paid subscriber to see who has viewed them? Come on administrators this is just crazy, you'll make more money by using ads and selling email addresses. Bring back the viewed me feature.

There is no point in making money if you are continually exposed to unfair legal suits.

I don't think Markus wanted to make this decision, he has been forced to.

For those of you who do not know, true.com placed an advert on POF and used an image of a US soldier which they had no rights to. It has been discovered by the family and sadly the soldier had died about 4 years ago. As a result they have filed a lawsuit against true.com and POF. It is impossible for POF to approve the intellectual property of every advert placed and true.com are fully to blame if it is proven they did not have rights to the image.

The article on this is here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/02/27/bc-dating-website-lawsuit.html

Basically if this family win the case against POF, it means the whole advertising revenue model is unsustainable and it must become a pay site. There is really no choice here, they cannot remain vulnerable to unfair lawsuits. In my opinion Markus is looking to phase this in if necessary but if he defends the case successfully then I think there is a good chance he will revert back to the ads model and may restore the viewed me feature for free.

It would be nice if people would actually take the time to look in to this rather than ranting on with your assumptions. Granted the above is my opinion of the circumstances surrounding the feature change, but it is a completely logical conclusion.

If you were Markus I bet you would do exactly the same thing.
 RushLuv
Msg: 146
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:26:25 PM

who viewed me - is not a good feature anyway... looking does not mean interest.

This.

I posted in a previous thread (now deleted) that the Viewed Me option was a waste of space,.

The sad part is that based off of the majority of responses today, a lot of people seem to think being viewed means interested. That was not always the case. Even so, it is still a useless feature.

I stopped paying attention to views to my profile a long time ago..
 uplatenerd
Msg: 147
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:27:06 PM

...O...K...CUPID Dot....C..O..M - they seem to be doing well and its a pretty fun site (nice FREE features), i've actually spent more time there than here in the past few days. Thanks again POF for giving me a nudge in the right direction..idiots
 GeminiJoyce
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:29:05 PM
Slowing POF is fading away as a "100% free" dating site. They want you to pay for features that were previously free, all while still looking like a "cut-rate" website. I did use the "viewed me" feature but I refuse to pay for it. Looks like Match.com will be getting an influx of new members in the future.
 LukeT77
Msg: 149
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:29:34 PM
Without the ability to actually see if your messages are being read or your profile is being viewed anyway, no-0ne in their right mind is going to be inclined to start investing money in a premium membership that may or may not add any value to their dating experience/success.

Driving away existing members by cutting your existing services will only reduce the number of members who choose to use/remain on this site and devalue the site as a whole.

For those who weren't even using the feature (and/or stealthing their views) it's a completely futile and ineffectual gesture that serves little purpose anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I've always liked this site - I just hope you know what you're doing, as it's these sorts of tactics that can kill a site that depends on maintaining a high quantity of active members to remain relevant.
 michaelscupcake
Msg: 150
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:29:46 PM
One of the big problems is that no one complained when they first started charging for little things, like seeing if someone read your message or not. Then, Email headers were discontinued a bit ago. You can not change your email header. Period. This was actually one of the ways you could make your message unique and hopefully get a better response but, AGAIN, no one complained so they kept pushing the limits, seeing how much they can get away with. Please believe me, if they get away with this, the next thing will be to say that this is a free site BUT you have to pay to send or receive a message...it's salami tactics, cutting away slice by slice....and they'll keep doing it IF they think they can get away with it.

By the way, this is the first day I've used the forum (had to vent) and I was wondering if any of the veterans could tell me if this is a greater than average volume of participation for these threads, i.e, how much of an uproar has been created, compared to average forum activity.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE