Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS H      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 exHighlander
Msg: 201
view profile
History
What you should have donePage 9 of 62    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Not a well thought out move, for a number of reasons:

- If you're going to take something away from people, let them know ahead of time. A short, highly visible notice on the page for a week or two ahead of time would have avoided much user anger.

- Most people understand you need revenue to pay the bills, and advertising is not something you should be counting on in a declining economy. If your model is to get people in the door by providing the basics for free however, then you should do that. Charge for extras, not basics like this, and do a better job of letting people know what they'll get for their money. For Viewed Me that could mean cutting it down the last 10 for free, give people a taste and fill out the page telling them what the paid features for add specifically to that function. Things like, full listing of viewers, make it searchable, tie it in to who we've mailed/been mailed by. Heck, give paid users the option of not even showing up on the searches of people they're not interested in. Sorry, I'm not making a 3+ hour round trip for a cup of coffee, but 1/2 the woman I hear from are in London, not Waterloo.

- Giving more to paid, rather than taking away from unpaid, will help keep your users happy. It won't help increase subscription revenue though if you continue to do such a terrible job letting users know what they get for paying. A central page listing everything they get is great once they're interested, but every page should have a line or two somewhere prominent about what they get extra to make whatever they're doing on that page better/easier/faster. Search page - extra search options, mail page - more options like links or attachments, editing profile - highlighting and backgrounds are a start, what else can you sell people to help them stand out, Viewed Me - see above, etc. Every tab and sub-tab across the top should have something free and a reason that tab w/ paid is better and a link to the page listing all the reasons it's better.

- And now the big one (from a business perspective). If you want people to pay for your service, make it possible for them to do so. Credit cards in this day and age are for chumps, you're an internet company, start taking internet payments. If someone wants to use a CC they can do that through the online payment company and you don't have the responsibility for the numbers. I fund my online payment account from my bank account and haven't had a CC in almost a decade now. There's at least a 1/2 dozen major companies in that industry in different parts of the world, please catch up to the 1990s. I'd recommend against Bitcoin, but it's bound to be soon that someone takes a look at what they did right and wrong and comes out with a viable virtual currency, be ready.
 lovingliferightnow
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:02:29 PM
It's their site, I guess they can do what they want. But why lie about it? "Get a upgraded membership to see who viewed your profile. Our goal at POF is to charge for addon features that allow us to make enough money so that we can eventually remove all advertising from the site."

So POF, a 10 MILLION dollar business is going to give all those fees up? I doubt it.
 propsforyou
Msg: 203
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:03:56 PM
I don't think anyone in management is listening here. Change your own profile to express your disgust like I did. Snowball this thing until something changes!!!
 BariSaxGuy
Msg: 204
view profile
History
 jericho56
Msg: 205
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:06:00 PM
POF is turning into a BOA a paid fee of some sort for everything. I'm leaving , been a nice site up till now.
 be_renaissanced
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:06:25 PM
I just wanted to say goodbye. everyone - it's been fun.

It's sad POF has forced payment on us. There are plenty of free ways to meet good people.

Adieu! Michael
 stevebone1969
Msg: 207
 blackhawksfan3521
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:08:47 PM
I think this is garbage as well. The reasoning behind making some of the features fee-dependent is ridiculous. Hopefully once everyone bails, they'll learn, but it might be too late.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:08:55 PM
The OP's thread, mocking, polarizes, yet it remains. Why Mods?

Could it be..it supports management?
 griffin123
Msg: 210
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:10:21 PM
Agree big time ...Most of us use the site because its free ...I dont care about the adds on here ..if thats what it takes to keep the site free then put more up ...but if you keep makeing things cost me money .we will start looking for other sites ...once this is a full pay as you go site it wont be worth the money ...its not worth it to up grade now ...so after why bother
 Heart....
Msg: 211
Bad move....d> >>>>>>>>>>>>> Viewed Me Now a Paid Feature: Please post comments here
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:11:14 PM
What started out as a great idea being a free dating site. you have been taking features away one by one. I'm deleting my account this week. Soon you'll be just another match.com
 Heart....
Msg: 212
 PCaz
Msg: 213
 stevebone1969
Msg: 214
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:13:23 PM
This is good, I had to re-post it.

About - (archived from 2005 website page)
Why?
My name is Markus Frind and I created plentyoffish.com. I created this dating site because I was sick of seeing faceless corporations prey on people looking for love. In my mind finding love is not about handing over a monthly fee to some dating site that only cares about making sure you stay another month to pay them again.
We are Different
Plentyoffish.com is a 100% FREE online dating site and constantly changing based on your feedback, and you will notice everything on this online dating site is done so that you can meet people you have personally selected, and you can do it quickly. For example, we are the only major dating site that allows users to block messages from whole groups of other users they aren't interested in. No other dating site would do this as more individual contacts means more money.
Money? Who Cares
I am well aware that Plentyoffish.com could make millions of dollars per month as a subscription service. I couldn’t care less about how much money Plentyoffish.com could make; this site is different. This site wasn't created to mine user’s pocketbooks. Plentyoffish.com is here to make a difference and help people find "the one".
 Melas_Chasm
Msg: 215
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:13:59 PM
I wasn't even seeing any ads, the owner's concerns of buying a new Gulfstream 6 Jet with the matching solid gold toilet are completely baseless. I'm proud to say I use NoScript + Flashblock + Adblock Plus (For Firefox), and doing so will make you immortal while at the same time fighting the system!
 coolslider
Msg: 216
view profile
History
 MoveOverEinstein
Msg: 217
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:15:57 PM
Users don't care about ads on the site. Yes, they might not make the site as attractive as a site without them, but as a user I'd prefer a fully-functional free site with a few ads scattered about than a clean site that I have to pay for. The worst possible thing you can do is take away what people have become accustomed to - it's pretty much a Customer Satisfaction 101 no-brainer.

One of the best ways people connect on here is by seeing who's been checking them out. By taking that feature away, it cripples the user's experience (as I'm sure you're aware). However, instead of getting people to pay, it will only prompt them to leave as there are other free dating sites out there. For someone who is a casual dater like me, I'm not looking to invest my money into something I just mess around with for shits and giggles, so saying "hand over your credit card" is just going to make me disappear.

Terrible move.

If you'd rather a free site with ads, than a paying site without them, put a in your post.
 MattKoz
Msg: 218
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:16:19 PM
POF must not care theres a billion threads already and if about half those people leave there will be no site Im surprised theres no offical POF statement on this issue
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:17:18 PM

I thank you still for the use of this site where it is still free to run a profile, respond to other profiles, send email and read email from others all still free.. those are dating site basics. all still free...

and the forums are still free.
who viewed me - is not a good feature anyway... looking does not mean interest.

It was a useless feature to me - I never bothered with it. I blocked people from seeing who I viewed to avoid getting messages. A large majority of people viewed stealth anyway. It was a mix of people you don't want with those who don't want you after they saw your profile. A non-issue.

Agreed.

So really ... if most of the individuals were in stealth mode, you're not seeing much.

Let it go people ... or are you just looking for something to **** about.

If you don't like it ... quit.

See ya!~
Bye
Adios
Cheers
 ggomar
Msg: 220
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:17:25 PM
thank you for pushing me to which is still completely free...
 coolslider
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:17:53 PM
Plentyoffish.com is a 100% FREE online dating site and constantly changing based on your feedback

i have yet to read 1 person who liked this change so if its based on our feedback take it the f%$^ off
 mjcaccgrad
Msg: 222
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:19:58 PM
Welcome to the land of greed POF. How long before anything you do on here costs money? Change you website so that it no longer advertises it being 100% free, lol.
 Pegasuss321
Msg: 223
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:20:00 PM
the view me future is shit. the site says u are doing this in order to get rid of ads. we dont mind ads here and there as long as they arent in the form of pop ups.

in the future this site will turn out to be like badoo and restrict the number of messages we send. the reason why this site was so popular from all the others was not just cause of the reason of sending free messages. it was cause of having access to every future without limitation .

stop this nonsense !!!!!
 dlighter
Msg: 224
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:20:46 PM
It's just not good business. If you offered something for free, you don't take it away from them. If you offer a new service, then you can make it a paid only option. I suspect that they will soon say "You cannot see images until you pay up." and "Give US money to view YOUR messages."

"Free dating site" is becoming, "It's only free to sign up, but you have to spend your life savings on our features to only hope you find someone you are looking for..."

So Yea, if more free features are going to vanish and only be available for only paid members...I am leaving this site..
 Stlsrching
Msg: 225
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:20:48 PM
Site just took a big down hill turn today.....

Probably won't be here much longer.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > VIEWED ME NOW A PAY FEATURE - POST ALL COMMENTS HERE