Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > In a relationship with a cellphone....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Capn_America
Msg: 51
In a relationship with a cellphone....Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Tabarnak, je viens de perdre tout mon criss de post....enfin, prise 2.

Capn you and me in a steel cage at Wrestlemania. Middle finger salute to you my friend.

Nah, the steel cage is very "passée". In the spirit of Cactus Jack, let's go with HELL-IN-A-CELL! With barb wire and flaming baseball bats, it'll be so hardcore 90's the crowds will love it. Better than Cena vs The Rock

I happen to love to text. I think my most recent bill noted that i sent over 30,000 during the month

i don't text unless we're just sitting around watching tv or something

And if i'm with a group of friends and i'm texting it's because i'm bored as ****.

See, that's EXACTLY the type of thing that bothers me. Why? Suddenly, your father, your mother, your friends, a girl your interested, becomes LESS important, less of something to deal with then "that guy you know you text once in a while"? My sister, for the rare times she is at home, usually ends up falling asleep on the couch next to me, when we're watching a movie (after the 5th time, it gets old, trust me, no matter how close I am with my sister since we were kids). I put the movie on, watch it, and talk to her. We used to talk and fool around a lot more than watch the actual movie, it was great. Now, though, I realise 15 mins in that shes not watching, and not talking; she's texting.
"Is it dull, want me to turn it off?""No, its fine"
"AM I dull, does my face suddenly repulse you and remind you of Jean Charest?" "Huhuh, yeah, let's do that..."
W...T...F...?
Like I said; drug. I think it eventually leads to broken bonds, in the sense that people who act that way, end up getting on the nerves, or pissing off, or just end up LESS close to someone they hold dear. I know my sis loves me, but that type of behavior is beyond me. Akin to letting go a huge burg in the middle of a wedding ceremony at church; fine if your 12, but kind of idiotic if your 33.....
 Goldentyga117
Msg: 52
In a relationship with a cellphone....
Posted: 3/15/2012 9:23:43 AM
So you're saying that i should instead just be bored with pointless small talk ? why ? I'm not going to talk to someone no matter who they are just for the sake of talking. I never said anyone is less important or anything like that. I barely talk to my family as it is *not for any negative reason. i just happen to be able to go months without talking to them and don't care* And when i'm with friends the last thing i care about hearing is how much they hate their work or wife/gf/bf....why should i care since they never take any advice given anyway and when i hang out with friends i want to be having fun or at least have a positive time not spend 5 hours all negative and mopey. Most of the texting i do is just when i'm doing my own thing and not hanging out with anyone anyways...

Why do you care if your sister texts if you're watching a movie ? just seems like you need a lot of attention if that bothers you so much. Maybe you pick lame movies that she's not interested in ? IDK ? I've never ended up having "broken bonds" with anyone because of my texting and i think anyone who "breaks bonds" with someone for texting is farrrrr too sensitive.
 RushLuv
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/15/2012 9:49:16 AM
I live in the stone age. I don't have a cell phone.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2012 10:01:05 AM
I like all the modern conveniences.
I'm not interested in going back to the stone age.
I have a cellphone because I don't have a landline.
The trick to all these modern conveniences (tvs,
computers, ipads, phones, cars, etc.) is to use them
in moderation.

I'm not addicted to anything. I can live without a
phone or a computer, I just choose not to.

I'm also not a fan of texting. I have a small phone
sans keyboard and it takes forever for me to send
simple messages. I can't be bothered.

One of the best things I like about my phone is I
don't have to answer it. It doesn't zap me or anything
if I choose to let it ring or go to voice mail.
 Capn_America
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/15/2012 10:19:03 AM

So you're saying that i should instead just be bored with pointless small talk ?

Well...YES lol. Dont get me wrong, about complete strangers who give a flying crap, but friends? The whole point to friends is to care, or at least pretend to, even if you don't no? Unless I missed something? So texting in their faces, when you might be offending them, without knowing....
I kind of equate texting to burping at a table when 12 people are eating. Or like, pulling out your schlong when everyone is watching and going "Hey, I have this red button on it, you think its a bad sign?". It's not mean, its just...not appropriate, you know? Like certain things for certain situation. I think texting was invented when alone and you need to talk to someone, or for some important or emergency reasons. If your among a bunch of friends and not talking to them, texting other friends instead....maybe someone's in the wrong place? That's my point. I think people's views have shifted enough by the whole "addiction" factor. It's kind of like "Anytime, anyplace" now. It's become a NEED, for people, and most wont recognize it and admit its a problem. Like when I see my sister sleeping WITH her cell (I use her as an example, because she's the only person I know who would die before getting rid of her cell...) and wonder...what the hell?

Why do you care if your sister texts if you're watching a movie ? just seems like you need a lot of attention if that bothers you so much.

OH NO. Do NOT start with the "BASH the OP" stuff. I'll obliterate your logic to tiny iddy bitty pieces and be the most insolent son of a gun you'll ever have seen in your life. I don't care what you do, or anyone else does, I want to know the WHY. I didnt say you were a bad guy, and I didnt insinuate it, because you text. I just dont understand why you DO. And other people qho couldnt leave their cells at home on a sunny day. I dont care what she does or WHERE she puts her cellphone. But when I talk to someone, I expect to be answered to. Not ignored, not answered by someone who didnt listen to half what I said; My 4 year old does that, and its okay, BECAUSE she's 4. At 30, my sis should know better. People holding cellphones when I talk to them should too...
 Maleman999
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2012 10:22:42 AM

Goldentyga117: So you're saying that i should instead just be bored with pointless small talk ? why ? I'm not going to talk to someone no matter who they are just for the sake of talking.

Aren't you doing the same thing if you're constantly texting? Do you do earth shattering things every minute in your life that can only be told by text? I don't need to pay for a pricey monthly plan to talk. And most people appreciate being told something in person rather than by a plastic box. But if talking to a human being is too scary for you, stay in your dungeon and avoid the human race.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2012 10:32:22 AM
I consider cell phones a "stupid meter".....no other device will expose your lack of rationality any better. I have watched two idiots text eachother back and forth non-stop for an hour, somehow it never occured to either of them to just call and end the conversation in two minutes. Since cell phones became popular, I get five times the phone calls from people than before, because they can call me from anywhere for any silly reason. Some people are so dumb, they will call you from their cell with bad reception and call dropping, when they will be home to use a land line within five minutes.....couldn't they just wait, or does the novel of talking while they drive just amuse them? Phone manners don't exist anymore, dumb asses will call me while they are enganged in other conversations, and think I don't mind them envolving me in a five way chit chat with strangers at a garage.... I don't even know who they are talking to at any given moment, because they are too stupid to mute the phone while talking to a second or third party.

Damn, this rant feels good!.....I need to bring it to a full orgasm, by grabbing the next person I see on a cell phone and kicking their ass.

I think I'll write a book on the subject.....I didn't even get started on "ringtones" or how these teenagers sound like a walking concert.......adults as well! No matter what you give a human, they wind find a way to abuse it.
Posted: 3/15/2012 12:41:53 PM
Well Cap'n,

As an ancient relic of the golden days of yore, I have a bias about this atrocity on two fronts.
First, the phone. I have a cell phone that is just a phone. Nothing else. It rings, I answer it. It does not take messages. People just hang up. I dial, it connects. I like this, especially in emergencies away from home.

When young and fractious and working in a radical bookstore, I got in the habit of using pocketbooks as designed. When in a holding pattern? Waiting in line? Nothing going on at the moment? I'd haul that pocetbook out of my right hip pocket and commence to reading, thus, not wasting valuable time. I still do this...................
Mobile phones have become a definer of modern life. You miss a lot when you're gazing in rapt adoration at your own palm....while walking, driving, eating, loving, mix and mingling and otherwise navigating through the public realm.

Second. The messages. As a denizen of the academic workplace, I know many people shift uncomfortably when the subject of mass dumbing down comes up. And right they are - to a point. Intellectual bullying and terrorism is behavior of the most foul sort. It should be punished with hard time spent locked in the town square stock, while being pummeled by old copies of tv guide, National Enquirer, and graphic novels reserved for the most hardboiled cases.

However, the good Lord granted us the gift of speech.....divers legions of stalwart glory fighters have died upon the blood-drenched meadow to save and preserve the freedom of such a gift. We were also granted the gift of hands to type upon the righteously racing keypad - for purposes of articulated eloquence, egad!
(Opposing thumbs, on the other hand - though they raised us up from primordial slime slick and quick and in right good order - have been, in contemporary times - reduced back down to something languishing below the common chimpanzee.)
I've said it before. If federal decree outlawed all form of communication device other than the cell-phoned text - I would send emoticons and be done with it.

So yes. It is a deal breaker....busted up as if residing at ground zero upon the arrival of thermonuclear redemption. To the respondent who would defend themselves as such:
"But I'm really quite articulate in person..." my response would be - but we write before we meet. That is the order of things.
Cyrano de Bergerac was rather a hero of mine. At a tender age, the love of luscious language beckoned with open arms, and if poetry was invented for the purpose of wooing women, I was all for it!
However, this requires two things: the ability of said damsel to understand the proffered prose, and to drop the the properly contexted response, as elegantly as a scented handkerchief.
And do I talk like this in person? Of course not. Out there face to face, I'm just a regular guy.

But there it is. You can throw your pearls at swine, well enough. But what you get back is their true perfume.....
 lotustemple
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/15/2012 1:50:25 PM
Thank God for Cell Phone Jammers... note to self to purchse one this year so all you dastardly disrespectful little s--ts on the road... say goodbye to your inane and unimportant conversations while I whiz by ya and drop ya the middle finger.

Hmmmm.....kool. Are those things legal? How big etc? I'd like a little battery operated one that will fit into my purse. Do tell.....
 10YearsFan
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/15/2012 3:47:29 PM
I thought I was bad lol!! I don't sleep with my phone, although I do use it as an alarm. When I'm on a date the cell goes on vibrate and stays in my pocket! It is rude! I think the world can live without me for a few hours lol
 Goldentyga117
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/15/2012 4:10:43 PM
I DO care about my friends. What i DON'T give a shit about is getting together in a situation that is supposed to be fun only to hear them go on for 45 minutes about their problems which are usually always the same and they never take any advice on it or make any changes to the situation. I really don't care about someone who has to go on a long ass rant about how their boss is an ***hole or their girlfriend/wife/bf/husband is such a ****/***hole. I also have really great conversations with people through text. If you can't do that then it sucks to be you i guess. And really ? i should come out of my "dungeon" ? what a ridiculous comment. I happen to be a very social and outgoing person. I just don't care for bullshit or people who are always whining about things that they never bother to change. It annoys me and it's boring. I'd much rather talk over text with someone who's positive and funny etc...than spend 2 minutes with someone who's idea of a social gathering is to **** about their life the whole time. Either fix it or STFU.

And Capn. Maybe what i said was a little out of line about you being needy....but how could i know ? you made it sound like you're like one of my friends...where if all the attention isn't on him and his not included in all the conversations he get's all pissed off. If you're not like that then my apologies. It's just what it brought to my mind.

And to whoever else said that they love language and so texting is a dealbreaker. You realize that not everyone who texts types like "how r u ?" right ? because i certainly don't so your assumption just makes you sound ignorant. You can be as literate as you want over text...or you can type stupid too if you want it's all up to the individual.
 Capn_America
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:03:30 AM
Crap, I had to restart my entire post. Goes to show me to write on this thing when at work.
Anyways, condensed version

Apology accepted, taken. Nah, I'm not one of those drama-****y attention whores. I'm more like the typical *miss the 90's hard-rockn-roller almost biker ex-wrestling computer science guy* who doesnt get how someone can cuddle up more with their cells than an actual human being lol. I got nothing against cell phones per say, I always thought communicators like in Star Trek would be great, and its almost what a cellphone is, right? But the abuse, MAN, the abuse...I do really think that's its turning someone people, a lot of the younger generation, into a-social drones. When instead of laughing, one of my cousins looks at me and goes "lol" out loud, with a straight face, then turns back to talking on her cell....I dunno, its disqueting. That, or blue tooths is another beef. You go to a counter, talk to a secretary, or a delivery guy (I get a lot of those at work), he's looking at you straight in the eye, your telling him where to dump his cargo and he goes "Your an idiot if you think I didn't heat". Right before you answer something very much like *go cluck yourself*, he looks to the side and goes like "I told you Michael, I heard what you said to your mom! Oh, hi sir, where do I dump my cargo?"........
More an more, situations like that are appearing. You know multi-tasking, right? Cellphones allow us to do that, but I think people suck at it a LOT more than they think they do. In a relationship, well, I'm pretty allergic to cellphones and texting. Which, I see now, is apparently NOT a good thing for online dating lol. The number of messages from ladies I received asking my cell number, and me answering "I'm like Machete; Machete dont text" and never receiving a reply back makes me think I should get with 2012. BUT I HATE THE THING! lol.
 cooldog65
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 8:21:38 AM
^^^^^
" Tabarnak, je viens de perdre tout mon criss de post....enfin, prise 2."

Translation my friend?

A lot of our modern devices today have been influenced by Star Trek. Now if we can get warp drive and a transporter...
 Capn_America
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/16/2012 10:11:30 AM
Tabarnak, je viens de perdre tout mon criss de post....enfin, prise 2."

Translation my friend?

LOL Sorry. Means "F*ck(but worse), I just lost my entire goddamm (but worse) post again. Ah well, take 2.

Pardon my Quebecois ;-)

----------------------------------------
Now if we can get warp drive and a transporter
-----------------------

I want a phaser. Any idea how hard it is to start a fire in winter? lol
 dreamfire
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 11:16:21 AM
@cooldog- amazing, isn't it? How we talk about our superior advancements in technology? "Oh gee, lookie, my cell now makes toast, so I can have a Pop Tart on the way to work."..... Odd, though, we can't even get a man beyond our own moon.....hmmmm........

Eh, Capn, I got this match. You can use my cell as kindling.....
 shygirl413
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:56:07 PM
bad spelling is a huge turn off
 CHULO_MALO2010
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 10:42:40 AM
YES!!!! I think way more than half of the population are addicted to their cellphones! I haven't received any 4 letter idoit replies...not yet anyway. I can understand how that can be frustrating. I had a couple of exes that would STAY on their cells, texting, facebooking and who knows what else, all day and night long. It was a pathetic to see them so addicted, they looked like dope attics and/or zombies just zoned out in another planet. But then again, that's how people look walking in the streets damn near getting hit by cars, crossing the street with their eyes glued to the phone, texting away. Can't wait to see the day two idiot collide into each other on a crowded street while they're both texting. I'M GONNA BUST OUT LAUGHING
 Capn_America
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:12:13 AM
Man, I missed myself replying again on here lol.
You know dude, I ACTUALLY saw that yesterday, and instead of picking both cute girls up, I was busy laughing my azz off. I did get ONE phone number off of one who was laughing too lol
 juliancannon21
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:26:33 AM
Texting=worst form of communication..i rather hear the sweet sound of her voice (especially when she laugh)
Than to text..u cannot tell how a person reacts by.just writing "lol" tsk tsk
 DreamieDreamer
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:33:03 AM
Everything has a proper place and time and use.

I love to text when my life gets busy and I need extra time to get back to people, or for my kids to give me a quick account of their where a bouts and plans. I have to admit though, my kids say I am a bad text'er because I still spell everything out and correct their spelling. Just because it is easier doesnt make it right or respectful.

Texting is wonderful for many things, but I do still enjoy writing and receiving in depth e-mails and such. It shows me that someone thinks and cares enough about me to put aside time in their day to devote just to me. They care enough to share their daily happenings and whatnot's.

I also enjoy, time permitting, personal and jovial phone conversations picking brains and stimulating thought processes. I feel you can gain a better understanding of how to perceive a person through e-mail and text once you have heard their different tones and such through phone conversations.

Phone conversations should always be used when disagreements arise, no if's, and's or but's about it. Too many ways to misinterpret the other party through text or e-mail.

I do not enjoy receiving e-mails that resemble a teenagers text message, talking with someone who uses text speak or "thugonomics" as a primary language, if I wanted all of this, I would infiltrate my son's lives and hang with them and their buddies more.
 Maleman999
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:44:50 AM
Another techno development that gets misused is the portable CD players for vehicles. It's OK when it's set up so only the back seat passengers can see it-usually in minivans full of kids. But I've seen them on dashboards, so the driver can watch the DVD too. That's an accident waiting to happen. Especially if the driver is texting and watching a DVD while driving.
 Capn_America
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:47:14 AM

Another techno development that gets misused is the portable CD players for vehicles. It's OK when it's set up so only the back seat passengers can see it-usually in minivans full of kids. But I've seen them on dashboards, so the driver can watch the DVD too. That's an accident waiting to happen. Especially if the driver is texting and watching a DVD while driving.

LMAO Your serious? Like really really serious? What kind of dumb moron thought up of that one? lol. Its anything goes....and since governement cant start watching each and every car all the time, its indeed when accidents happen. Goes to show the point, technology in itself is great; its how we USE it that is pretty deficient.
 cooldog65
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:51:12 AM
^^^^^
Remember when Captain Kirk said , "Our weapons grew faster than our wisdom." Kind of the same thing going on here.
 forums1
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 8:53:41 AM

I do not jump when it 'sings'. I control IT and IT does not control ME!

That sums it up for me. If I was on a date or something, and it rang - I might look to see who it is, but chances are wouldn't answer it, and I *don't* text. The *only* people I might answer it for on a date is my family - they're multiple timezones away so when we talk its usually later at night (ie, 9pm my time), so if it rang outside of that (like the middle of a lunch date), yes - I would answer it, with the fear that it might be "Dad was rushed to the hospital" or something worse.

I can't stand it when people can't leave their cell phone's alone for more than 5 minutes. If its that important, go get a bluetooth surgically attached to the side of your head, because give it long enough the skin will probaby grow over it anyways.
 Capn_America
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/21/2012 11:01:51 AM

I can't stand it when people can't leave their cell phone's alone for more than 5 minutes. If its that important, go get a bluetooth surgically attached to the side of your head, because give it long enough the skin will probaby grow over it anyways.

LMAO Dont say that. I hear Microsoft plans on pulling a Johnny Mnemonic with their next windows, and having something attached to your head that sends some commands directly to the PC from your brain, or some other sci-fi stuff. Go check it out, its on the Webernet somewhere lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > In a relationship with a cellphone....