Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Max heartrate question      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 25
Max heartrate questionPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Do you also believe that fat makes you fat and if you eat low-fat you won't get fat? That sit-ups will give you a flat belly? I see the billions the health and fitness industry pumps into misinformation is working ;)

Did I say that fat makes you fat?

Did I say that sit-ups will give you a flat belly?

If the answer is no, then you do not see anything other than you own erroneous conclusions.
 OopstooLate
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Max heartrate question
Posted: 3/24/2012 5:38:33 AM

Aristotle_Amadopolis
Eating 2500cals of McDonald's a day is not the same as eating 2500cals of all non processed food a day.

Do you also believe that fat makes you fat and if you eat low-fat you won't get fat?

Man from Kent,
Why so argumentative?
You know very well that the difference is about processed vs raw. Your body has difficulty digesting refined food, while the energy is the same the benefit is not.
 umm...Dave
Msg: 27
Max heartrate question
Posted: 3/24/2012 7:26:06 PM
You need to qualify that statement.

I don't need to qualify anything, you are the person who said
1 calories does not equal 1 calorie.
with no qualifier or proof to back up your claim. I am debating on the exact same level as you are.
 statemachine500
Msg: 28
Max heartrate question
Posted: 3/25/2012 11:38:00 AM
http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-3-9.pdf
 umm...Dave
Msg: 29
Max heartrate question
Posted: 3/25/2012 12:15:42 PM
allow me to counter

bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html
And also

Bray GA et. al. Hormonal Responses to a Fast-Food Meal Compared with Nutritionally Comparable Meals of Different Composition. Ann Nutr Metab. 2007 May 29;51(2):163-171 [Epub ahead of print]

Background: Fast food is consumed in large quantities each day. Whether there are differences in the acute metabolic response to these meals as compared to 'healthy' meals with similar composition is unknown. Design: Three-way crossover. Methods: Six overweight men were given a standard breakfast at 8:00 a.m. on each of 3 occasions, followed by 1 of 3 lunches at noon. The 3 lunches included: (1) a fast-food meal consisting of a burger, French fries and root beer sweetened with high fructose corn syrup; (2) an organic beef meal prepared with organic foods and a root beer containing sucrose, and (3) a turkey meal consisting of a turkey sandwich and granola made with organic foods and an organic orange juice. Glucose, insulin, free fatty acids, ghrelin, leptin, triglycerides, LDL-cholesterol and HDL-cholesterol were measured at 30-min intervals over 6 h. Salivary cortisol was measured after lunch. Results: Total fat, protein and energy content were similar in the 3 meals, but the fatty acid content differed. The fast-food meal had more myristic (C14:0), palmitic (C16:0), stearic (C18:0) and trans fatty acids (C18:1) than the other 2 meals. The pattern of nutrient and hormonal response was similar for a given subject to each of the 3 meals. The only statistically significant acute difference observed was a decrease in the AUC of LDL cholesterol after the organic beef meal relative to that for the other two meals. Other metabolic responses were not different. Conclusion: LDL-cholesterol decreased more with the organic beef meal which had lesser amounts of saturated and trans fatty acids than in the fast-food beef meal.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 30
Max heartrate question
Posted: 3/25/2012 4:22:19 PM

allow me to counter

No much of a counter as even the people that did the study admit that there where not enough participants and it was only done to study immediate effects, not cumulative.

The real affects happen over times as your body adjust to the poor diet and starts to process your food differently.
 statemachine500
Msg: 31
Max heartrate question
Posted: 3/25/2012 5:20:11 PM

The real affects happen over times as your body adjust to the poor diet and starts to process your food differently

I would think this to be likely.Apparently adding trans fats to the diet causes our cells to not act quite like they should.

Dave is a little partial to those Big Macs,or used to be,he went on a bulking diet consisting of a lot of Mac's,and achieved quite a transformation a few years back....
 DragonBits
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Max heartrate question
Posted: 4/19/2012 9:33:27 PM
OP, my heartrate is tyically 145-155 when I do cardio, since I am 59 my max should be 161, which is about right. The most I have ever been able to push my heart rate was 163.

I increase the difficulty if my heart rate goes below 130 and never rises above 140.

So I am at 90-96% of max, which I like to do for an hour. I know the machines / internet does not recommend this, but this is what helps get me in condition the fastest. Conditions my heart, lungs and cardiovascular. I am using an elliptical machine, which puts very little stress on your joints.

I could likely lower my resistance on the machine and lower my heart rate to 130, but then I would need to go 2-3 hours to get a good workout. I would burn more calories that way, and not affect my muscle mass. It is likley bettter for losing weight, but it is hard to spend that much time.

The exercise helps to lower my appetite, one needs to at least maintain the same level of eating while increasing exercise, or even lower the calories a day. Somehow you need to get into a calorie defict if what you want to do is lose weight.

Why not switch to running? If you do, start very slowly, running is one of the few exercises where you really can hurt yourself if you push too hard too fast. Your lungs and muscles will adapt much faster than your joints and it you push to hard you will damage your joints, which can cause lifetime problems.

Do you want to get in better condition, or lose weight?
 Matt9030
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Max heartrate question
Posted: 4/23/2012 9:28:55 PM
If you feel fine, then don't worry about your pulse. Not everyone's body is the same.
 eaxcriminaL
Msg: 34
Max heartrate question
Posted: 4/23/2012 10:02:34 PM
to the OP question. Don't worry about it, the charts are pointless for most people. To find your zones use the talk test as you have done. Once you start to have difficult talking subtract 10 beats and add 10 beats. this is your LT zone(lactate threshold) 30 beats below this is the aerobic zone, and 30 beats above it is the ATP zone.
For example, you have difficult talking at 145bpm
115 - 135 = aerobic zone
135-155 = LT zone
155-175 = ATP zone.

As I said don't worry about the HR charts too much. My wife(that's what i call her) has a fast HR... My LT starting zone is about 135, her's is 160, she's in better shape then I am. She naturally just has a very fast heart rate, nothing wrong with her heart, that's just how she is. So don't worry about it if your cardiologist said you're fine.

w hen you body is in an aerobic state your body is working too hard and fast to convert fat to fuel. At the lower range your body will be able to convert fat to food, but you need to be going for quite a while before it makes a difference. That said, how much fat is on your body is a function of your genetics and diet, little to nothing to do with the gym..

I am assuming there are a lot of typo's in the person I am quoting. i.e. did you mean "anaerobic" not "an aerobic"?
Converting "fat TO food?" Fat doesn't convert to food, and food doesn't convert to fat. It's "EXCESS" food that converts to fat.

How is the gym irrelevant? It boils down to calorie calorie expenditure, the more activity you do the higher your caloric expenditure would be.

I have both actually (hypothyroidisim, lipedema, high cortisol, high estrogen/low progesterone, etc) but it's still not an excuse.. EVERYONE who is fat, is fat because they eat more than their body needs- hormone imbalance or not. I don't eat to excess compared to other people, but I do eat more than my own body requires and that's why I'm fat.

I do agree there is not an excuse, but they're very significant in weight loss. This is a tricky one, yes it's true, that you gain weight by eating more, but not "more than what your body needs" sometimes. If you eat too few calories your metabolic rate will decline, You can end up eating 1000 calories with out any weight loss. Due to thyroid function.

Eating 2500cals of McDonald's a day is not the same as eating 2500cals of all non processed food a day.

From a macro nutrient stand point, it makes no difference. As someone has said.
 billingsmason
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Max heartrate question
Posted: 4/24/2012 4:56:33 PM
hi serendipity.
you seem to be very well informed. good for you, knowledge is power -right?

in manufacturing, they have a saying: test to failure

personally i think it would be a shame to not stretch your limits. i have taken my body to and beyond it's limits... which is good, depending on the survival thing.... lol. i push myself regularly and think everyone should.

maybe try to guage your limits with the vomit meter. actual retching, not just the want to puke feeling.(the gym might not be the best place for this) once you find the threshold... you can stay just a bit back from it.

good luck and know that we can all make the changes we want to see. hard work does not have to be a bad word or ummm two.
 adge747
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Max heartrate question
Posted: 4/29/2012 8:54:14 AM
Maximum heart rate for your age is 181, this figure is reached by subtracting your age from 220 so anyone of any age can work out what theirs should be. Have you looked at interval training, it only takes about 20 minutes three times a week! It works for me.
No doubt your medical advisor has told you that you will need to be on the drugs for your thyroid for the rest of your life! Makes sure of their income that way, if you have looked at the side effects of the drugs one of them is weight gain! Others include depression, fatigue, loss of libido, dry itchy skin and constipation. So whilst you are on drugs that cause weight gain how on earth are you going to loose any?
A recommended Vitamin and Mineral Programme to help your body restore to its proper healthy state is Formula IV (Multi-vitamin and mineral) Omega 3 Plus ( Essential Fatty Acids) Cal-Mag (Calcium Magnesium supplement with vitamin D) Nutrishake ( Meal replacement shake) and Carotenoid Complex these are Whole Food Supplements only available from http://www.healthyanswers.co.uk
Make sure your diet includes:- Apricots, dates, egg yolk, parsley, potatoes. prunes, raw seeds and whole grains. Drink distilled water. Avoid processed refined foods, white flour and sugar in all forms and sweeteners such as Aspartame are particularly bad.
 meetme1_2way
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Max heartrate question
Posted: 5/10/2012 1:37:16 AM
hello...as a professor of Kinesiology i can tell you that you're getting some accurate info so far on here...that's the good part :-)
your approach, while certainly a valiant effort is tremendously "old school" however! my suggestion is to stay with the 160 range as a heart rate spike BUT stop doing sustained heart rate excercise. it's simply a waste of time especially when it seems that your lean body mass index is most likely low. translation...resistance AND a "spiking" of heart rate for more brief periods of time. the simple fact that you're doing 60-90 minutes at a time tells me that your total body exercise is extremely low! this is why your results are not showing up...you're doing a great job of working one aspect, the heart, which is good BUT you're not going to see fat loss on your current program.
to much to go into here since i'd have to do an entire methodology for you but...research H.I.I.T (high intensity interval training). this along with resistance which comes in many forms (up hill, water at less than body temp, weights, isometrics, body weight exercises), will radically increase your metaboic rate and this will in turn maximize your excercise sessions.
case in point, if using a tread mill, you need at least 2-4 degrees of elevation just to simulate tera firma, more to create resistance and make sure to stay off of the hand rails and heart rate handles! this decreases body weight and thus ...resistance.
so do the research and tweek your methodology so you work out with more intensity and far less time but get much better results :-)
 adge747
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Max heartrate question
Posted: 10/22/2012 8:45:31 AM
My information says that your heart rate should not be more than 220 minus your age. So your maximum heart rate is 181 BPM. Hope that helps you to decide how hard to work out although apparently it isn't necessary to work out really hard to get your heart rate up there. I get to my max by doing what is known as peak eight exercising, I have a stepper and step for 3 minutes to warm up, run at speed on the spot for 30 secs then step for 90 secs repeating this for eight repititions raises my heart rate to maximum and I only need to do it every third day for the best results.
 Skyr
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Max heartrate question
Posted: 10/22/2012 6:50:17 PM

Maximum heart rate for your age is 181, this figure is reached by subtracting your age from 220 so anyone of any age can work out what theirs should be. Have you looked at interval training, it only takes about 20 minutes three times a week! It works for me.

That's pretty rough, as these sort of formulas tend to be. When I was racing mountainbikes, I was maxing out at about 216-220 (aged in my 20's). I can still get my max over 200 at age 34.

I don't use Heart Rate monitors anymore. It takes the fun out of riding and training. If I do intervals, I'm pushing myself on my body is feeling, not by a number.
 Raj_777
Msg: 40
Max heartrate question
Posted: 10/26/2012 1:59:50 PM
Forget heart rate ranges.

1st, increase your protein intake. 99% of the time, weight loss (and gain) will be a combination of muscle mass and fat mass. The extra protein will preserve more muscle. I've seen people lose a lot of weight yet their bodyfat percentages hardly fall and they don't look much different either.

2nd, start using muscles you never train. Pick up some weights and work out your entire body. The way you exercise communicates to your body which muscles require strengthening and therefore preserving. If you never exercise your arms, your body will decide the muscle mass there is not required and will be more inclined to eliminate that before getting rid of fat mass.

Muscles require more energy to exist than fat so in any type of weight loss, where you are creating an energy deficit, the body will naturally try and get rid of muscle mass. To offset this to some degree, use all your muscles and increase your protein intake to at least 1.5 grams per kilo of bodyweight. Drink a lot of water, increase your fibre as well. Your body uses up more calories trying to break down fibre and the fibre also makes your body more efficient at using the food you put in it.

Try circuit training that hits all the muscles.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Max heartrate question