Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Church and State      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 276
Church and StatePage 12 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

Fear is YOUR word and way of describing it...... not mine. What I pointed out is that the 10% of militant islamists comes to about 300,000,000 people whose main ambition in life is to get to their version of heaven, and on the way there, to covert as many as possible on the way.

A blatant, screaming LIE as I have already shown, there are no-where NEAR 3 billion Muslims in the world, actually fewer than 1/2 that number

also "10% are radical" is a "WAG" (wild-azzed guess) on your part, the meaning of 'radical' is highly subjective as well
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 277
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 9:45:06 AM
also if 80% of Muslims are like 80% of Christians they are 'religious' in name only, occasionally going to the mosque (or church) the rest of the time lying, cheating, stealing , fornicating & committing adultery about as much as any non-religious person does.
 OyVay...
Msg: 278
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 9:47:29 AM
"I'd like to see the ten commandmets displayed in public buildings too"

Ahhh, but there's the rub! YOU'd like to see it, and obviously have an agenda based on your god. When you display that, what does "Thou Shalt have no other gods before me" mean? Almost half of those commandments deal with god and not crimes against society.

I get murder and stealing, but instead of punishing stealing we parse words, so poor people who steal do hard time, rich guys get to improve their golf game at country club type prisons for a few months. Further they didn't deal with issues of slavery, child abuse or the many other things we consider heinous crimes.

As for your "majority in any state" bogus part of your reply. Then why are you guys against the healthcare law? The majority has spoken, voted the law legitimately into being enacted. Oh I get it, it's only the laws you like, not the ones you don't. Hahahaha!!!
 balrog67
Msg: 279
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 11:06:08 AM
Christians and Jews can't even agree on 'which' 10 commandments they are to follow - with most not even aware that there is more than 1 version of the TC in the OT.

So which is it? The version found in Ex 20, or the completely different one found in Ex 34??

Ay caramba....
;-)
 Paul K
Msg: 280
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 11:12:58 AM
Hey Oy...........

You wrote:
"Then why are you guys against the healthcare law? The majority has spoken, voted the law legitimately into being enacted."

Actually, it was elected into law by CONGRESS, not by the majority, assuming of course that when you say majority, you mean the electorate. The biggest sticking point here is the mandate........ What if in order to show that he really is a patriot, and to help small business in the country, Mr. Howdy Doody mandates that everybody must buy and display at least two American flags..............

Hey out..........

Lets use your numbers at to the total number of muslims, that would be 1.5 billion. The 10% being militant is a number that if you were to actually do some research, you would see, is a bit low........... yeah, your right........ only 150 million militant islamists......................... No problem.

Paul K
 OyVay...
Msg: 281
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 11:31:01 AM
"Actually it was elected into law by CONGRESS"

Yes, that's right, by a CONGRESS THE MAJORITY PUT IN OFFICE! Everyone who voted, voted for that particular congressman or woman to represent them, they won the election over who was opposed to them, ergo they speak for the majority.

It's the exact same thing as match is saying, only he is applying it to these abortion laws, and I am applying it to healthcare. Then again, you guys can't accept the majority unless it comes out your way, right?

As for the "10% being militant", where did you get that figure? Who has these stats? Please cite some authority who knows this, or better still some authority who knows they will act against us?

Like I said earlier, at even 150 million, that's half the population of our country, and more than enough to overwhelm any indivdual military engagement. Why don't they attack? If so many were militant, why was Bin Laden hiding in some house in Pakistan. Surely enough of them(militants)are in the middle east to take over their own country and provide safe haven to Bin Laden?

Sorry we both know that is a "crier" number, the old glen beckster sobbing on stage to scare the people to death!

Sad really...
 want to travel
Msg: 282
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 11:40:37 AM
Really I have yet to meet a Christian
after going to catholic school, grade school to high school,I would say I know enough about JC's ministry
basically he gave all of us ONE commandment , to treat others the way you would like to be treated
over 2000 years and we, can't get one thing right!

at least Muslims live there religion, the overwhelming majority of them are by far more decent then Christians!!!
 matchlight
Msg: 283
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 12:15:28 PM
As for your "majority in any state" bogus part of your reply. Then why are you guys against the healthcare law? The majority has spoken, voted the law legitimately into being enacted. Oh I get it, it's only the laws you like, not the ones you don't. Hahahaha!!!

What I said about the majority in any state is an accurate statement, and I stand by it. What you're saying makes clear you don't understand the difference between state and federal authority.

States have inherent, sovereign authority to make laws and policies. Supreme Court decisions since the 1800's have referred to that as the "police power," "police" being used in the sense of "policy." This power is more or less what the Tenth Amendment preserves. A state may use it very broadly to protect the public health, safety, and welfare. Protecting public morals used to be considered a distinct interest of government too, but these days that's usually considered part of the public welfare.

A majority of the residents of any state can make a policy it favors the law, and that law will be valid as long as it meets several conditions. The law has to be duly enacted (i.e. through fair, regular procedures and by a majority vote); it must not conflict with the state's constitution, or with anything in the U.S. Constitution, or with any federal law or treaty; and it must be at least reasonably related to a legitimate government purpose.

The federal government, in contrast, does not have any general police power. To use the Supreme Court's terms, it has only the "limited and enumerated powers" the states agreed to give each of its three branches in the Constitution. So even if, as you put it, "the majority has spoken, voted the law legitimately into being enacted," that by itself doesn't make the Obamacare law valid. Congress must also have enacted it under some power granted to it in the Constitution.

This administration is claiming the individual mandate, which is the heart of this law, is an exercise of Congress' power to regulate interstate commerce. The Court will decide whether that power justifies making all of us buy a government-approved medical insurance policy. Anyone who heard the government's lawyers fumbling to explain to several skeptical justices why it does must have some doubt that five or more of them will buy the argument.

So it's not hard to see why people who favor this monstrosity are feeling the need to laugh.
 matchlight
Msg: 284
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 2:27:25 PM
YOU'd like to see it, and obviously have an agenda based on your god.

That's far from obvious to me. I'd like to see it because I think it would contribute to a higher moral tone that would help this country a lot. The Commandments are cut into the walls and columns of the Supreme Court building, including right above the Chief Justice's chair. That wasn't considered improper when it was built in the early 1930's. Should all traces of them be removed now?

When you display that, what does "Thou Shalt have no other gods before me" mean?

Anyone who doesn't like that part is free to ignore it, or it might be left off completely. Apparently there is some historical authority for treating it as a separate document.

Almost half of those commandments deal with god and not crimes against society.

I think those are very good standards for a free society to live by, and I suspect most Americans do. I don't usually cite Wikipedia articles, but here I think the author, citing authorities, makes a good point:

"The Ten Commandments concern only matters of fundamental importance: the greatest obligation (to worship only God), the greatest injury to a person (murder), the greatest injury to family bonds (adultery), the greatest injury to commerce and law (bearing false witness), the greatest intergenerational obligation (honor to parents), the greatest obligation to community (truthfulness), the greatest injury to moveable property (theft).[19]"

What's wrong with encouraging basic social goods and discouraging actions that tend to damage them? The author makes another important point:

"Because they are fundamental, the Ten Commandments are written with room for varying interpretation.[19] They are not as explicit[19] or detailed as rules and regulations[20] or many other biblical laws and commandments, because they provide guiding principles that apply universally, across changing circumstances."

I agree--the Commandments are general, non-binding, time-tested guiding principles that apply to us all even as times change. I don't see them as coercive or oppressive in the least--and very few Americans had either, before the 1950's.
 OyVay...
Msg: 285
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 5:42:09 PM
"Anyone who doesn't like that part is free to ignore it"

Well there are like 3 more that deal with what god likes or not alone. The graven images, the sabbath and one other. If we are free to ignore them, why put them up to begin with? Put up, they represent a standard, that would render other religions second rate, or lesser than christianity.

As for "honor thy mother and father", well we see that it has no bearing on society in the view of conservatives. They wish to eliminate social security or and medicare. That seems to somehow negate the concept of 'honor' to me, since we paid in and expected these benefits for over 40 years, now the bill comes due and the republicans want a do over.

Principals are great, and it would be wonderful to boil down law to some of these tenants. Funny though, there is a vast swathe of conservatives supporting opposite standards on the concept of stealing. The lawyers making deals with corporations(people doncha know) allowing them to steal and break the same law over and over. So what you are saying is stealing needs to be punished with one set of rules for part of our population and with another for the rest.

"the greatest obligation(to worship only God)"

And who defines who or what god is? You? The Supreme court? Congress?

No you cannot use a defintion of something or someone so vague, or a partial list for it to be valid. I think if we could agree(something that will never happen) or univeral rules applicable to all, with NO exceptions, it might be a different story. The way it is, it would basically be an empty promise, made to SEEM fair, and nothing more.
 matchlight
Msg: 286
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 7:33:29 PM
Here, as food for thought, are a few questions about laws with both secular and religious purposes that the Supreme Court has decided in its Establishment Clause cases:

Is a state law requiring stores to close on Sunday constitutional? The Court said yes, because having one uniform day of rest each week also served a legitimate secular purpose: Allowing community activities to be scheduled free of work conflicts.

Can a state legislature begin each day with a non-denominational prayer? Yes. The First Congress, which proposed the Bill of Rights, voted to do the same thing itself--so it can't have meant to prohibit it in the First Amendment.

Can a state law give churches authority to veto licenses for bars and liquor stores within 500 feet of their buildings? No, because that would entwine religious groups too much in government--and because churches might abuse the veto power by letting only their own members have licenses.

Are the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance constitutional? Yes. The Court decided the question on procedural grounds, but several justices said that if they had considered whether the Pledge violated the Establishment Clause, they would have said it did not.
 Aries_328
Msg: 287
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 9:41:51 PM
"Actually it was elected into law by CONGRESS"

Yes, that's right, by a CONGRESS THE MAJORITY PUT IN OFFICE! Everyone who voted, voted for that particular congressman or woman to represent them, they won the election over who was opposed to them, ergo they speak for the majority.

It's the exact same thing as match is saying, only he is applying it to these abortion laws, and I am applying it to healthcare. Then again, you guys can't accept the majority unless it comes out your way, right?

As for the "10% being militant", where did you get that figure? Who has these stats? Please cite some authority who knows this, or better still some authority who knows they will act against us?

Like I said earlier, at even 150 million, that's half the population of our country, and more than enough to overwhelm any indivdual military engagement. Why don't they attack? If so many were militant, why was Bin Laden hiding in some house in Pakistan. Surely enough of them(militants)are in the middle east to take over their own country and provide safe haven to Bin Laden?

Sorry we both know that is a "crier" number, the old glen beckster sobbing on stage to scare the people to death!

Sad really...

What is sad is the inability to see your own bs. So now it is the majority that voted for the congress that voted for healthcare but then that majority that voted for those ones that are implementing your theocracy is against the will of the people.

There is a history of the country that involves religion. Sorry if it offends you. You can always close your eyes and cover year ears at sing Yankee Doodle through that part of history. You don’t have to like the congressmen that are creating these laws you don’t like but you don’t get to be two faced and claim that only those that vote for laws you like are legitimate. Pointing that out is ok right. Just like I have said many times. I do think universal healthcare would be fantastic. But the bill that they didn’t even read and passed is a POS. I hope it gets struck down because it is a POS. Fix the costs first.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57409395-504083/honor-killing-under-growing-scrutiny-in-the-u.s/

Although many Americans may think that phenomena such as forced marriages and so-called "honor killings" exist only overseas, social service agencies, educators, and a growing number of law enforcement personnel know differently. According to a survey the Tahirih Justice Center conducted of more than 500 social services, religious, legal, educational and medical agencies last year, 67 percent responded that they believed there were cases of forced marriage occurring among the populations they serve, but only 16 percent felt their agency was equipped to deal with the situation.

"We don't have the mechanisms in place here in the U.S. to take care of these girls," says Det. Chris Boughey of Arizona's Peoria Police Department. "What do we do with a teenager runaway? Ninety-nine percent of the time, we take her home. But some of these girls end up getting killed."

Why aren't these women deserving of you’re wanting to protect them? Where is the outrage of the real problem of deep ties to religion and law. This is the perfect example to point out the problem with using directly religious derived laws to create public policy. Instead it is dismissed as an aberration…

It is happening because established law is secondary to religious law by a group of people. Multiculturalism requires that they not be required to abandon those parts of their 'faith and culture'. It is a bad ideal to follow.

A biblical referenced law such as, do not steal, is fine to have. It can be supported by evidence of harm and why things go bad if it isn’t illegal. Throw in the punishment to cut off the hands because some bible said so and …no, that is ignorant. Every law can have that same logical test and it doesn’t require banning religious people from government to do it. Social acceptance of homosexuality is slowly changing through western world. The bible may say to go to hell but that doesn’t create a basis for making it a crime in the eyes of the law. Child custody in a divorce is default 50/50 a basis can be found in King Solomon does that make it wrong? Cutting the kid in two would be a really dumb idea.

There is no reason to excise religion out of American the way it looks like liberals want to. It is causing a religious backlash and it is only temporary. However, wake the hell up and stop supporting sharia just because Christians are against it. That is as stupid as basing a law on religion.
 part deux
Msg: 288
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/9/2012 10:00:54 PM
So what % of these forced marriages are from good, Christian, Mormons?
 Aries_328
Msg: 289
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 12:28:15 AM
So what % of these forced marriages are from good, Christian, Mormons?

Why does that matter? Isn't it supposed to be about giving a crap about women’s rights... Aren't they in jeopardy from those evil Christians because a church may not want to pay for birth control? Isn't it about freedom from the theocracy?

Or should polygamy now be legal because doing things that law doesn't permit is ok if the law doesn't make them legal but allows it for multi-cultural purposes...

Have to be consistent now...

Let’s see... forced marriages, honor killings... ok because some people may have been adhering to Islamic traditions... paying for birth control is the worst thing for women’s rights because catholic churches do not want to promote promiscuity as an acceptable moral stance. And a women’s voice in court to be counted as only half the weight of a mans in Sharia is ok because that hasn't been documented here yet.

Talk about backwards... Liberal... where up is down and progress is backwards at all costs.

Another thing is really obnoxious...
There is no one that says honor killing or murder is a 'good christian' act. I understand it is very difficult to comprehend the difference between doing an act of evil and being justified in doing the same act by a religion.

Read Sam Harris the end of faith and stop justifying it.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 290
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 7:14:47 AM
Are you still doing the whole "The Muslims are coming! The Muslims are coming!" thing?

Honour killings are terrible. But they're not religious. Here in Canada the biggest threat with that comes from the non-Muslim South Asian community.

You keep trying to hold in your head that "liberals" are trying to impose Sharia law in your country. Despite the fact that there is no threat and you haven't produced a single shred of evidence that liberals support Sharia. Give it up. The religious threats in your country come from the Christian right - an oxymoron if there ever was one.
 OyVay...
Msg: 291
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 8:41:38 AM
"Inability to see your own bs"

I see just fine, and merely have a different POV, than the religious.

"implementing your theocracy"

NOT MINE, I assure you, I have no theocracy. I again since you can't seem to get it, represent a different POV, than that of the religious.

"But the bill that they didn't even read and passed is a POS."

Well then change it, take out parts, put in new parts, reduce the language, but DON'T kill it. Most major western nations have some form of universal healthcare, why can't we have one as well? The only ones beating the drum and stirring things up on this are the medical industry, big pharma and the insurance companies. They are churning out millions of dollars trying to get this thing sunk. WHY? Because it will force a reform to an industry that has gone crazy with cost increases.

Do you for one second believe insurance companies want to cover pre-existing conditions? Or have a caps on costs? You're the one who needs to wake up! This has been debated for 50 years, in one form or another, and it's only those lobbyists for those I named who have brought pressure to bear on Congress to thwart it.

Forced marriages? Honor killings? Please show me where in America this is allowed and sanctioned? Wasn't that idiot in Texas, the mormon guy who was marrying 14 year olds put in prison? Aren't all killers prosecuted? This is a straw man, if ever I saw one.

We do not have the right to intercede in another soverign nations laws. That doesn't mean we LIKE IT. It means we have no power to change it.

"Throw in the punishment to cut off the hands"

While I would be OK with it for the most part. The only thing we would have are a bunch of poor people walking around without hands because they can't feed their families. The real bad guys in corporate greed, would waltz away scott free, saying it was the evil orporation who did it, and cut "it's" hands off if you can find them!

There are a hundred examples of moral stories in the bible. They are meant to try and teach morality, not to be interpreted as laws.

"There is no reason to excise religion out of American"

I will assume you meant to say "law" after that. If that is so, what if Muslims become the majority here, then we should be OK with those same honor killings you are against, because it is founded in their belief of religion?

Your POV WOULD support sharia much more than mine would. No religion and I mean NO RELIGION has a right to impose it's beliefs on the whole population. I get morals, I get breaking the codes of normal social interactions. When we embrace a religious view towards actions they don't like, or run counter to their belief system, we will have opened the flood gates, to them imposing other rules, that would inhibit others from living their lives under freedom of religion.

"talk about backwards...Liberal..."

Perhaps it was said best by JFK on 9/14/60 in accepting the NY Liberal Party nomination.

"If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who welcomes nw ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties. Someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a liberal, then I'm proud to say I'm a liberal."

Now you may not agree with all of that, a lot of it rings true today as it did then. For the last 3 years, the republican/conservative movement(pun intended) has certainly showed us they don't care about more than half of that. Teachers fired, trying to tear down healthcare legislation without offering an alternative, no actions on promoting jobs, not forcing banks to fix the mortgage crisis, and now their assualt on womens rights with regard to their soverign right to choose what they do with their bodies.

You can post and whine till your hearts content, will not, cannot, does not, change the stark facts of the conservative agenda.

Oh and PS...lest you forget, that quote was from a good catholic who attended mass every sunday.
 Aries_328
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 9:37:35 AM
Oh and PS...lest you forget, that quote was from a good catholic who attended mass every sunday.

Have read enough comments to know that being a liberal means supporting the underdog and opposing the big guy regardless of perception, logic, or what is best or what is right.

Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 293
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 10:15:54 AM
[quot]Have read enough comments to know that being a liberal means supporting the underdog and opposing the big guy regardless of perception, logic, or what is best or what is right.
If you really do believe that, then you should have a word with Mr Kruger and Mr. Dunning.
 Aries_328
Msg: 294
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 10:48:50 AM

If you really do believe that, then you should have a word with Mr Kruger and Mr. Dunning.

That is one of your favorite response.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2015776?uid=3739560&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=56018684023

Liberalism is like a religion. Faith in intelligence. The only problem is the objectivity is lost and now just convinced of its own righteousness.

Strict adherence to government funded programs for everything. Doesn't matter if it’s best or not... GovernemetCanDoIt is the slogan. Then the best part is now there is someone to blame and it is always those that say stop having the government do it that are getting blamed for the failures of the government programs. Those that say stop having the government do it have a tendency to also have a belief in religion. So, defense... THEOCRACY! It is predictable, immature, childish and selfish and not anything to do with doing what is best, what is right, or of choosing the most reasoned and thoughtful approach.

Look in your own Kruger Dunning mirror for a change.
 matchlight
Msg: 295
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 10:59:49 AM

Liberalism is like a religion. Faith in intelligence.

If you mean "liberals" have faith in each other's intelligence, that really IS a matter of faith.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 296
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 12:24:22 PM
OP..Welsh..I would guess by now, hearing from the informed and the faithful, you would have a better sense of why the church and state thing is such a big deal in this country. The most "christian" and incarcerated nation in the western world has been divided to help the theocracy prevail. You may also have noticed that the theocrats tend to be in often fierce denial, resorting to bullying, projection, misdirection and just making sh*t up about those who support seperation of church and state.

This is a pretty comprehensive site of recent theocracy history up to the mid OhOhs.
http://theocracywatch.org/govern.htm
http://theocracywatch.org/introduction2.htm
"Our problem is with ... the religious extremists ... who want to destroy everybody who doesn't agree with them. I see them as betrayers of the fundamental principles of conservatism. A lot of so-called conservatives today don't know what the word means. " Barry Goldwater (1994)
"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
"The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom.... I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are?... I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."
- Barry Goldwater, (1909–1998), five-term US Senator, Republican Party nominee for President in 1964*, Maj. Gen., US Air Force Reserves, author of The Conscience of a Conservative.

Despite Goldwater's warning and efforts, the theocrats did indeed take over the republican party and conservatism in general to the point of having a bumper crop of theocrat contenders in the republican primary blowing their dog whistles. They were the most anti-constitutional bunch ever seen as well.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/human_nature/2011/11/christian_theocracy_how_newt_gingrich_and_the_gop_would_abolish_courts_and_legislate_morality_.html

The last and worst of them, Santorum, finally bowed out but the threat remains that he could garner the number 2 spot and be a heartbeat away from the theocracy.
 Aries_328
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 12:59:50 PM
The last and worst of them, Santorum, finally bowed out but the threat remains that he could garner the number 2 spot and be a heartbeat away from the theocracy.

I think I said this would happen earlier in this thread... It wasn't a heartbeat away. It is very very very far away. and the problem I have with Sharia is not that it will be proclaimed law in US. It is that it will be permitted just as it is in Britain as an 'alternative'. It is 1000x a greater threat then Santorum. Santorum may have tried to wipe out porn and maybe cause changes in abortion but in no way would the intention to be similar in intentions as sharia. Santorum is an annoyance on a historical level.

http://sheikyermami.com/2012/04/10/uk-theresa-may-wants-to-be-seen-doing-something-like-deporting-islamic-terrorists-al-qaeda-says-no-you-cant/

It is a much bigger deal and a world problem that doesn't make sense to pretend that 'it's just a small group of crazy people'. It has to be acknowledged that they are not crazy. They are not fanatical. They are just doing their duty to their religion. The video I found earlier of some rand0om young adult praising cutting the heads off of the kafir is not extremism. He is not crazy. He is not the same as a nutter born again Christian that now feels the love.

Al-Qaeda has warned Britain against handing over a radical Islamic cleric to Jordan after his release from prison, saying such a move will open the “door of evil” for the British government and its people, according to an Islamist website. (Al Reuters)

Who gets to make the rules of the country?

Britain will be the early window into how this will play out.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 298
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 1:12:26 PM

That is one of your favorite response.

When the shoe fits.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2015776?uid=3739560&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=56018684023

Liberalism is like a religion. Faith in intelligence. The only problem is the objectivity is lost and now just convinced of its own righteousness.

As written in a book in 1935, thus only someones opinion and at a time that the word liberal may have meant something different that it does today.

It is a much bigger deal and a world problem that doesn't make sense to pretend that 'it's just a small group of crazy people'. It has to be acknowledged that they are not crazy. They are not fanatical. They are just doing their duty to their religion.

If their duty is to their religion and religion is commonly accepted as fake, then by default they are crazy.
 Aries_328
Msg: 299
view profile
History
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 1:25:59 PM

If their duty is to their religion and religion is commonly accepted as fake, then by default they are crazy

By your world view definition. Not theirs. It's cultural difference. The liberalism ideal of multiculturalism permits their beliefs and ideals to be held while in western cultures. That ideal is not held in reverse and is not mutual.

Who gets to decide the rules? The liberal ideal has no expectation of requiring them to drop components of their faith and they can bring their culture with them. The American ideal is that everyone becomes American while they are here. That is an expectation that certain traditional cultural ideals be dropped while here. That is the idea of 'from many one' from many cultures to one ideal of living free. That sentiment is not shared in reverse and multiculturalism does not support it.

So, for Britain, should they not deport him because that will bring 'evil' to Britain? Or should they deport him because that is their law. Who gets to make the rules? Who will suffer the consequences?

Seems to be such an easy answer outside of Britain that its all hyperbole and crazy republicans making things up to scare children into behaving. So, what is the proper response. If it isn't a threat than there is only one response. Deportation. If it is a threat and he is not deported than who just decided their law?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 300
Church and State
Posted: 4/10/2012 1:32:36 PM

...and the problem I have with Sharia is not that it will be proclaimed law in US. It is that it will be permitted just as it is in Britain as an 'alternative'....

So if Sharia law is a threat to the country, then does that mean that all religious arbitration courts are or just the Muslim ones?

Because what about Canon Law and Halakha Arbitration Courts?

http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/islamic_sharia_and_jewish_halakha_arbitration_courts
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Church and State