Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Feminism Your Views [under review]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 matchlight
Msg: 851
view profile
History
Feminism Your ViewsPage 35 of 44    (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44)

You mean like on TV, and in movies? Yes, that's called "entertainment". It's not to be taken seriously

If that's true, there was no reason to take Amos n' Andy off the air.
 ladyc4
Msg: 852
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/18/2012 12:24:47 PM

And stop assuming that I am talking about myself. I'm talking about things I witness regularly. -

This is simply a comment about something that sorta jumped out at me, not meant to disrespect anybody or dredge up anything-but it seems to me that there have been occasions in the forums where participants have been informed that commenting about things they've observed or witnessed lacks validity compared to commenting on things that one has actually experienced. Simply an observation on my part.
I agree,equal opportunity requires equal responsibility/accountability-even if it does not take the exact same form of execution. I also am not fool enough to deny,dismiss or diminish the fact that there have been occasions where efforts to meet "equal opportunity" has resulted in injustices.

Hey, it's a learning experience in progress, but I do feel badly for those who were, or are being,wronged in the process. It's a human construct and a human endeavor, and as such can never be perfect.

I have little personal patience with my "sisters" who try to play both sides of the fence/have it both ways/have their cake and eat it too...but it's another unfortunate facet of humanity that there will always be those who seek to get more than their fair share, and that also is NOT gender-specific.
IMO that' s an ETHICS problem, not an inherent or fundamental "flaw" of the " gender equality" concept.
Cindy O
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 853
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/18/2012 1:47:59 PM
I was raised entirely by my Mom, and she did great with me. I might act a little nutty, but I'm very well adjusted. I didn't need a man to show me anything. Like I said in another thread, if my sperm donor had raised me, I would be the human equivalent of a c*ckroach today. My Mother taught me to be me. I didn't need a man to teach me that, she did well.

Nice testament to your Mom. I raised a son on my own until he was 8 and my then BF adopted my son. We married a year later. My son never knew his sperm-donor (who signed off his parental rights prior to the adoption, and he signed of his own free-will.) At age 17 my son wanted to meet the donor. We (his father and I) supported that. For three years my son tried to have a "relationship" with the donor and in the end? He called him "the dirt bag." We had NEVER trash talked the donor, not ever. No one in my family did, including extended family members. My son figured out all on his own that the man was human junk. He'd become a self-made millionaire and was just as worthless when my son became an adult as he was the day my son was born. Single Mothers can and do raise well-adjusted young men who turn into well-adjusted men. Simply because you call him a name does not mean you aren't well adjusted as some others here may think. Only you know what/how/why you feel as you do. I'd never negate someone's "adjustment" on a comment made in a public forum. Why? Because only YOU know for sure.

~OT~ It's pretty well established I am not a feminist by label. This does not mean I wasn't perfectly capable, willing and able to raise a son to manhood all on my own. I was only married for about 8 years of my son's entire life. He had only ONE father in his lifetime and that was the man who adopted him at age 8. By 13, we were on our own except for the fun things his father and he did together. His father was, by all accounts, absent. My son's informative years, prior to age 8, were well intact, well grounded and he turned out to be a good, kind, thoughtful, intelligent and oh so very fun/funny man. Doesn't take two parents in a home to achieve these things. Just takes a lot of love, patience and commitment. I had more than enough of those things to raise a productive member of society. And I didn't need to be labeled anything but "Mom" to do it. JMO
 cover_me
Msg: 854
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/18/2012 1:57:51 PM
I felt that pain and hurt before I got married with a child that ended up not being mine. The mother basically said if I don't do exactly as she says, no kid

I don't hate men, or myself, or anything like that. My Grandmother, his Mom, can't even stand him, seriously. He is a very bad monkey. I know what you're saying 1uk..I know of this happening, and it's so wrong. I know you take care of your kids, and step kids, and that's awesome. It's cool that there are responsible men that handle business, instead of running off. I've seen a few of your posts where you talk about the kids for a paragraph or two. That rocks man. I was just saying that I did perfectly well with just Mom. She got me raised, just fine. I know you're a decent person, so I wasn't talking about guys like you who do right by their kids.

Simply because you call him a name does not mean you aren't well adjusted as some others here may think. Only you know what/how/why you feel as you do. I'd never negate someone's "adjustment" on a comment made in a public forum. Why? Because only YOU know for sure.

I *wish* I could talk to him, he won't talk to me. I still call him on Father's Day, and his Birthday and Christmas, send him cards and what not, Nothing will ever come of it, and I know that, but it's the right thing for me to do. I forgive him for not being there, but that doesn't change who he is.

Thank you greeneyes.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 855
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/18/2012 5:53:49 PM
If you can't find a positive male role model...
be your own.

Being unchained to anothers view of how a man should be,
frees you to live....
................as a man....
..........................as you think a man should be.
 mrcs84
Msg: 856
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/18/2012 6:06:55 PM
I'll agree with this. It actually contributed to me never having the chance to make my dream come true and become a cop. It wasnt the sole factor, but it contributed. Equality for women and for racial minorities, in order to be politically correct, actually contributed to me not being qualified enough to become a police officer. It REALLY sucks. I don't hold a grudge at all, but it still doesnt make it fair.

See, this is one of those instances where I think the term "equality" gets misconstrued. If everyone has the equal -opportunity- to get the job, then everything should be fine and dandy. If all the best candidates for the job just so happen to be white males, then so be it. I mean, who's fault is it that they didn't meet/exceed the job requirements? Denying someone who is better qualified because of trying to meet some quota is not only inequality, it's also bad for business. This same thing happened to one of my instructors at Corps School. He put in his package to be put on a ship, and his credentials by navy corpsman standards are pretty ridiculous, but he got denied because they wanted to have more women on the ship.

be your own.

frees you to live....

As much as you may find it liberating for a boy to grow up without male role models, some study of developmental psychology will give a plethora of evidence that it can be (and generally is) quite damaging.
 CharityTrue
Msg: 857
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/18/2012 6:17:28 PM
Here's the thing, in western society for the last 40 yrs, through the indoctrination of 3/4 generations, the role of men, as husbands and fathers has been diminished, marginalized, ridiculed, trivialized even deemed unnecessary...

This is wrong...

No-one says women are unnecessary for the healthy development of a child, but some people will happily, shamelessly say that the father is unnecessary...
Parenting with two healthy well-adjusted adults even one healthy well-adjusted child is challenging enough...
To do it as a single person is extremely difficult... Pretending otherwise grossly misrepresents the stressful reality...

A father does model/influence masculinity for his son, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse...
I cannot model manhood/masculinity for my son... I am a woman... I can talk to him about it... but a living breathing example is a lot better, same as a girl and her mother....
What I absolutely hate is the dismissal of the importance, the value, of any parent to the child, they actually need both...
Kids need their fathers, girls as much as, if not more, than boys...

Feminist rhetoric has reduced and belittled men's roles in family life to a (working) stiff****attached to a cash machine...

I'm with Chris Rock on this subject....A little comic relief..

from 7:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=OBW1P7foyWQ

2 quotes if you don't want to watch the clip, (but you should it's super-funny...)

"A bunch of girls say, "You don't need no man to help you raise no child" … shut the f*ck up with the bullsh!t! Yeah, you could do it without a man, but that don't mean it's to be done! Sh!t, you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that don't make it a good f*cking idea!"

" You could be the baddest mama on earth. l don’t care how good you are.
Ain’t nothing you can say more powerful than, ”l’m gonna tell your daddy.”
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 858
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/18/2012 6:21:14 PM

be your own.

frees you to live....

Good grief!!! I'm so rarely "moved" in forums any more that it's almost sad. This? Bless your heart. Choked me up for a moment because before my son died? I used to tell him exactly this, almost verbatim. So here's to you from me, for "getting it" !!!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 859
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/18/2012 6:21:56 PM
Oh certainly....growing up without a male role model is damaging.
So is having a leg removed by an accident.
Or growing up poor.
Or any number of things than can cause us to struggle.

But if that is what we got....
Then we just got to make the best of it.
And can.

but I think we need to change this topic back to
feminism and the ladies.

I am so sorry for your loss Green Eyes.
words fail me.
I'm sure with a mom like you...
he certainly lived as man should be.

Welsh474
Msg: 860
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/18/2012 7:51:57 PM
In a perfect world a child would be raised by a mother and father who wanted the child and share in the raising of the child and everyone lives happily ever after as a family unit until they die at a ripe old age. But it doesn't work that way all the time in real life. Divorce rips families apart, both men and women raise children on their own due to a variety of reasons and grandparents are raising grandchildren.

A child can be raised quite well by one parent, be it the mother or the father. And it's not like women raise children, particularly boys, without that child coming in contact with men - be it uncles, cousins, grandpas, neighbours, friends, male school teachers, coaches, and on and on. The same goes for a man raising a daughter on his own - he is not without females in his life for role models for his daughter.

Sometimes raising a healthy and productive child is more good luck than good management. We see criminals coming from two loving parent families and single loving families and not so loving families. As long as we are doing the best we can with what we have, that is all we can do.

Feminism didn't do this to children - WE did this to children, both genders.

And Stray Cat is right - be the man you want to be.
 aremeself
Msg: 861
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/18/2012 10:04:06 PM
and I say, if your married and have kids, or don't, quit yer whinin and stay married fer crise sakes!
 Gertrude13
Msg: 862
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 12:46:47 AM
I love how this topic always seems to devolve into a political free-for-all - With some religion thrown in for good measure.

If you look at feminism as a political movement, it becomes meaningless - Nothing more than a squawk-box for those with an agenda. Want a Republican to get into office? Just invoke the evil baby-murdering Feminazis. Want to get support for a Health Care Bill? Raise the specter of no more birth control and swoop to the rescue. Irritating...

Women get paid less than men. Some of this is due to bias, but I know I took a long career hiatus when my kids were little, working a night job so that I could be home with them during the day when their father was at work. I lost a lot of seniority...

But here's what feminism is to me:
I'm glad I'm female. I'm proud that I gave birth, and that I nursed my kids. I'm glad that my thinking tends to be more intuitive, less linear, than that of my male colleagues, and that I can out-math any one of them.

I recognize that I have inferior upper body strength, but also know that my pain tolerance is waaaayyyy higher than that of the men I've met.

I believe that if I flaunt my cleavage and flutter my eyelashes, I may not be taken seriously.

I've learned to do "man" things in the past couple of years, and have realized that I am much better at fixing stuff than my ex was.

I really DON'T need a man. However, they can be good company sometimes, and it's nice to have help lifting stuff.

BTW - For the fella who claims that there would be no mathematics, physics, etc without males? Good God. There is evidence that the theory of relativity was largely the brainchild of Einstein's first wife, but that her contribution was ignored due to fear that it would be rejected if presented by a woman. Isn't is possible that this occurred throughout history?

Males and females are meant to complement each other. Instead, a few misogynistic idiots, terrified of losing their throne, victimize women. The women see this and tire of seeing their sisters hurt, tire of seeing potential wasted, and shove the men aside, learn to be completely self-sufficient. A few of them get a little strident, and now we have another extreme to look to when politicians seek to divide.

Meh.
 cover_me
Msg: 863
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 2:32:31 AM

BTW - For the fella who claims that there would be no mathematics, physics, etc without males? Good God. There is evidence that the theory of relativity was largely the brainchild of Einstein's first wife, but that her contribution was ignored due to fear that it would be rejected if presented by a woman.

Good point, the founder of scientific computing, was a woman. Her name was Ada Lovelace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace
 CharityTrue
Msg: 864
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 4:49:40 AM
So men = bad abusive crybabies, women = victims courageously fighting back arm in arm with their sisters...

Got it, what refreshingly new and different view...
 mrcs84
Msg: 865
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 5:41:44 AM

BTW - For the fella who claims that there would be no mathematics, physics, etc without males? Good God. There is evidence that the theory of relativity was largely the brainchild of Einstein's first wife, but that her contribution was ignored due to fear that it would be rejected if presented by a woman.

Good point, the founder of scientific computing, was a woman. Her name was Ada Lovelace.

Making an advancement within a field is not the same as discovering/inventing the field altogether. Moreover, a few select instances by women still pale in comparison to all of the contributions that men have made. But the PC in us does not like to acknowledge the accomplishments that men have made. Everything from the computer/tablet/phone/you're using to view this website, the electricity to power said device, the house, the car, the fuel for the car, the desk, etc etc. And yet, the mass majority of people do not want to give credit where credit it due. It seems like men's contributions are almost taken for granted while women's contributions are revered and praised as another step forward for womanhood.
 Gertrude13
Msg: 866
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 9:15:24 AM

Shove men aside? Sure, whatever, why not? Maybe we should be looking to see what men we are shoving and what men we aren't shoving. Cause shoving all men to the side is going to damage a lot of things and that is the problem we are facing and that I am talking about.

Ahem. Although my tone may have been easy to misinterpret, this is exactly what I was saying. When feminism is used as a political football, it reinforces a man's view that every woman who listens to Indigo Girls or dons Doc Martens is a militant ballbuster, and reinforces the woman's view that males are all whiny, ineffectual p*ssies hiding behind a flimsy veneer of machismo.

Neither stereotype is true, but every time Limbaugh blats about "feminazis," otherwise normal women have their view of men as pigs reinforced, and take it out on innocent victims. Very handy, since that same verbal diarrhea plays on the insecurities of men, allowing themselves to discount any female who votes or knows how to tie her shoes as Gloria Steinem, and pushes them closer to actual pigdom. It's a vicious circle that political media uses to its advantage, with an enormous price tag to society.

Men and women are equal, but NOT the same. I'm glad I'm female. Men should be glad they are men. I have ovaries, but am much better at math than any man I know. My male friend is a fantastic cook, and he has testicles as well as superior upper body strength. When I fix my car, I'm not trying to be a man - I'm just trying to fix my car. When he cooks, he's not trying to be a woman - He's just making food.
 Welsh474
Msg: 867
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 10:14:36 AM
^^^Exactly. Two great posts by you.

We are human beings first and formost..our gender should be listed second. I don't want preferential treatment, I just want to be treated like a human being, an equal. No gender is "better" than the other and thank goodness for our differences and our simiarities.

The only thing that the feminists helped bring about (and I was around for the bra burnings, marches and speeches) was better birth control, better access to birth control as well as safer and easier to obtain abortions and an overall attempt and success at equal pay for equal work. And for those that think the feminists ruined society with abortions - easy option for you is not to have one. Same goes for gay marriage, if you don't agree with it, don't marry a gay person. Human beings people, is it so hard to understand?

If some of you want to rant about how some woman done you wrong, you're divorced, you pay custody, maybe even sole custody - so what. Quit blaming everything on women - you had a part in your divorce and you chose to have unprotected sex and you have children to support. We all do it, men and women. We raise kids and it costs us not only money but time.

And to the one fellow who whined about not being a cop because of them hiring women and minorities, maybe they just didn't like you and thought you'd be a crappy cop. Life is like that, we don't get everything we want.

The vast majority of people enjoy spending our lives with the opposite sex. I had a wonderful marriage, I raised two sons and I'd really, really like to find another wonderful man to spend the rest of my life with - in an open, honest, passionate relationship where we threat each other with love and respect for our sameness and our differences. But I tell you, I won't be spending my time with someone who blames the opposite sex for all their so called troubles, issues, drama and baggage - both genders should have to do this.

Again, we're human beings sharing a planet. Get used to it, none of us are going anywhere, we'll all wake up tomorrow and both genders will still be here. So learn to respect each other. We need each other.
 Gertrude13
Msg: 868
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 11:10:46 AM

If some of you want to rant about how some woman done you wrong, you're divorced, you pay custody, maybe even sole custody - so what. Quit blaming everything on women

Can I get an amen????

There are predatory women out there. Guess what? Those women would take you for a ride with or without Gloria Steinem's work. You don't get to blame "feminism" for every time a person with ovaries commits a wrong. Sometimes people with ovaries are azzholes. Not because of their ovaries, but because they're azzholes.

Lots of people with testes are azzholes, too, but most of them would be just as obnoxious if they possessed ovaries - although they might smell better...maybe...

I think some men look at "feminism" as an attempt to divide, to belittle men. I disagree. Empowering women does not necessarily mean that men become less. It means that the woman is able to bring her unique talents and strengths to the table, and that the differences between men and women are acknowledged and celebrated, not used to define the whole person. And it means that the women who like science and who are good at it can actually take credit for their contributions, as well.
 mrcs84
Msg: 869
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 11:48:16 AM
reinforces the woman's view that males are all whiny, ineffectual p*ssies hiding behind a flimsy veneer of machismo.

It's interesting you say this because Welsh474's post is basically a case and point. It is all too common that when a man's issues comes up that it's simply HIS problem, he should stop whining, and that it couldn't -possibly- be a result of some underlying problem.

Perhaps the wage gap actually -is- a myth, and women should just stop whining.

I think some men look at "feminism" as an attempt to divide, to belittle men. I disagree.

Interesting, especially when you see signs like "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle," or "all men are rapists," or even t-shirts that say "Boys are stupid. Throw rocks at them."

It also seems that the figureheads of feminism tend to not only be lesbians, but they are the butch, man-hating lesbians such as Valerie Solanas, Sheila Jeffreys, Andrea Dworkin, Betty Friedman, or Judith Butler.
 Welsh474
Msg: 870
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 12:07:29 PM
^^^ Okay, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're 27 and you don't know jack shit about real feminism, why some fought so hard for it, what it actually was like when the feminist movement came about in the 60's and 70's. You, being a young, uninfomed, naive as well as misguided in your opinion, have not lived through any of this - any of what went before. I'm just going to mention your little saying, "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" - did you actually pull that out of the hat - I haven't heard that saying since the 60's. Really a pathetic little rant on out dated sayings.

When you actually grow up, have a partner, raise a family and become a production person in society, maybe then you will get my point about being a human being and embracing the differences of our genders instead of ****ing about them. Just what do you plan on teaching your son, or your daughter for that matter?

You need to live a little longer to appreciate all of man/woman kind instead of focusing on days gone by, authors no one reads anymore but paved the way for your mother, your sister and you future wife and daughters - you should actually be thanking these man-hating lesbians. And really, wtf care if they were lesbian or straight - fairness is fairness and knows no sexuality, gender, race, etc. The only thing that apparently makes a difference is age - young can be stupid but they won't be forever, we all grow up and gain knowledge.
 mrcs84
Msg: 871
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 12:29:34 PM
Ah...and the shaming language continues. Droll, very Droll

I don't plan on teaching my son or daughter anything because I have zero desire to have children.

"Future wife"....lolz. In a society that makes marriage seem almost as bad as playing Russian Roulette, I think I'll pass.

CharminC
Msg: 872
view profile
History
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 1:39:18 PM
My views?
The only thing equal between a man and a women is we are both human. We have human rights and privileges. I'm thankful for that. Thank you kindly to the women before us who have paved the way. I recognize your sufferings.
Dig a little deeper, individualism separates us even more. Hmph... makes living among each other a little interesting I dare say. I understand and respect that.
I'm just thankful I am able to still slurp my coffee whenever I wish to and raise my boys how I see fit. I live, say and do what I want.
I'm thankful for my freedoms and know my limits. Are you ladies?
In my household, I am boss. In the world, I must share it. Fine enough for me.
As for everyone else's opinion, as long as it doesn't affect me personally, think however you wish.

But.. I am woman and woman I am.
Hear me karaoke the shyt out of the song *sings*
My life just got oh so interesting.

(slurps coffee)
 Gertrude13
Msg: 873
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 2:11:22 PM
"You've said this twice like it should mean something. Do you carry math tests with you every where you go? I have a 148 IQ so there is a really good chance I'm better at math than you. Either way I'll still give it to you and let you say your better at math than me. So what does that have to do with what I was saying?"

Really? 148? That is high. It does not, however, necessarily imply that you have an affinity for math. It would, however, lead me to believe that your difficulty distinguishing "your" from "you're" is the result of a typo, not a literacy issue;).

There are misogynistic, whiny males out there. There are obnoxiously-militant feminists out there. The militant feminists are not responsible for every divorce settlement where the man feels he has to pay too much. The whiny couch-potato men who blame the ills of the world on women earning the right to vote aren't responsible for the bad deal I got.

It's soooo nice to be able to blame all of one's personal failures or perceived injustices on a political movement or ideology, but ignoring those who do - realizing that they are actually the lunatic fringe, not the rule - this makes for a much happier and more productive life:)
 --Zen--
Msg: 874
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 4:04:31 PM

It's soooo nice to be able to blame all of one's personal failures or perceived injustices on a political movement or ideology, but ignoring those who do - realizing that they are actually the lunatic fringe, not the rule - this makes for a much happier and more productive life:)

Since extreme examples like math, cooking and fixing cars has been brought into conversation I will provide another. Who would you blame for Holocaust? German people for being 'obnoxiously-militant' or Jews for being 'whiny couch-potatos'? A single man or ideology ending in -izm? You think Germans didn't realize the path they ware on? I'm sure they hated the idea of unified Europe under German rule.
Given enough charisma and manipulation skills a crowd can be convinced into mass suicide. Individual is smart but crowd is as dumb as sheep. History has it's lessons and when you truly open your eyes, unbiased by social conditioning or crowd phenomenon you will see this society for what it is. What you will see will be significantly different from what I see due to various factors and not just gender. Most people concentrate on a single problem, solving it brings immediate results and immediate gratification. Pain drugs would be a good example. Ramifications are often overlooked. Natural human fallacy that can be corrected by others. Social change is a complex subject because it encompasses diversity individual thinking and crowd mentality. Most apparent dangers of any -izm ideology is elevating single group while subjugating others. Feminism is slightly different because it has ties with socialism.
 Welsh474
Msg: 875
Feminism Your Views
Posted: 5/19/2012 4:12:28 PM
""If the system is set up by a movement or group and hinders me why would I not or should not be allowed to say so? If it is in fact unjust why would I not state it as so? I really don't care if you choose to accept it or not. If you don't believe what I'm saying feel free to bring some facts links and what have you to prove your points. Just saying something doesn't make it true or un true."" Do you understand what you just wrote? This is exactly why the feminist movement came into play in the 60's, exactly the same reasons.

As for the children, I didn't look at your profile to see where you're from by in my province custody comes down to a computer program - dad's income is put in, mom's income is put in and the computer pukes out a number as to how much money an individual pays. Also in my province unless you are a pedophile, drug users, wife/child beater or a deadbeat - you get shared custody or a custody arrangement agreed on by both, both have to sign off on it. And yes, if the man has sole custody the mom pays. As for the draft - well, talk to your government and I don't believe you've had a draft since Viet Nam but I could be wrong. And I don't know the statistics but I'm thinking there are more dead beat dads out there than women, but again, I could be wrong. I know in my province if you are a deadbeat parent (both genders) you cannot renew your drivers license (just an incentive).

As for the comments to the 27 years old, he knows jack shit about what was fought for and why by the feminist movement. One little example was that I had to have written permission from my husband in 1975 to have my tubes tied - my choice, we had 2 children. Please tell me one good reason for written permission. And just incase you think I'm being a whiny woman, my father couldn't get a vasectomy in 1955 because he was too young - apparently being 25 and having 4 children didn't make him smart enough to decide for himself so he had to go to a private doctor's office at night and pay cash. Kinda like abortions used to be only not with the luxury of a doctor and a clean medical office.

Look, divorce sucks for both genders. It's not easy raising children in a two parent household let alone two seperate households and some anger going on. I applaud the women AND men who do this on their own. There are men I've spoken to privately on the forums that are raising their grandchildren on their own - how wonderful is that, I take my hat off to them.

I have not spoken the word "feminism" in years and years (until this thread), it's kind of become a non-issue as the younger generations just take things as they are because they've always been this way, to them anyway.

And to the 27 year old who thinks marriage is like playing Russian Roulette - you get what you put into it. It will fail if you are a failure, it will work if you (and your partner) work at it. Don't be jaded. A life shared can be a wonderful thing.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Feminism Your Views [under review]