Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > god .... its all in your head say scientists      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marcochampo
Msg: 26
god .... its all in your head say scientists Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
all Adam ate an apple ,, then his god banished him from the garden of eden for eternity ..
that shows a compassionate loving god
 Jo van
Msg: 27
view profile
History
god .... its all in your head say scientists
Posted: 4/21/2012 11:24:43 AM
That is a statement of fact,not just my opinion .Yes I have vast amount of proof that I was created by God and that God is there for me and if I live according to God's will I will dwell forever in paradise .

According to the muslims, you will be going to hell too Dwight.
Each religion claims an entirely different version of "truth".

If you'd been born in India, you might be a Sikh, or a Hindu, or a Bhuddist.
If you'd been born in China, a Taoist.
There are about 4000 different religions, each claiming an exclusivity on "truth".
How can you be so sure that YOUR 'version' is more "correct" than all the others..?
What if you're wrong..?

The opening passage of the bible (Genesis) has been proved to be wrong (creation), isn't it likely that the rest is also wrong..?
Do you believe that a woman who has been raped, should be stoned to death, as it says in the bible..?
Do you believe that 'non-believers', or worshipers of "other gods" should be killed, as it says in the bible..?

You seem like a good guy Dwight (IMO), you would still be a good guy, without religion.
We all know what's 'right', and what's 'wrong', we really don't need the silly rituals, to 'prove' we're good.
Religion is a wonderful camouflage, for evil people, as all those priests proved.
 Jacknher
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/21/2012 12:02:55 PM
The opening passage of the bible (Genesis) has been proved to be wrong (creation)

Actually you can blend Genesis and Creation/Evolution together in a believable way.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day. etc etc etc

Nowhere there does it say that the "day" was 24 hours.......Later it says "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, "......actually saying there that the "day" was indeed "generations".
So to me it's not meant to be taken so literally that each "day" was 24 hours...to me it is the story of creation but was told in an ancient language that literally has lost a lot in the translation.
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/21/2012 12:03:56 PM
Everyone is entitlled to believe in what they want to believe in. From previous posts we read that such and such pop star was such a nice person when in fact the posters had never met them.
We hand over money to various comic reliefs in the belief that the money is going where they say.
Media feeds the masses and manipulates most people without them realising it and you only have to look at people manipulation with advertising.
If you take most of the posts on this thread , they could be written by one person for all I know . I have no proof that they are different people .
As humans do we exist when we are asleep and are dreams the reality. So going back to the OP any scientist declaring that a greater being due to actions of the mind may as well believe that all his dreams are true as well.
 Jo van
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 1:10:04 PM

So to me it's not meant to be taken so literally that each "day" was 24 hours...to me it is the story of creation but was told in an ancient language that literally has lost a lot in the translation.

Why the judeo-christian creation myth..? Why not the Hindu, or Bhuddist one..?

There was nothing "lost in translation", they knew feck all about it.
Even if you take your "Day/generation" point, they were still completely wrong about the order.
The Earth didn't precede light.
The water didn't precede the land, or the "firmament" (stars)
It's bollux.

It's only in the last few years, that we've begun to understand it, with the advent of new technology.
before Galileo and Copernicus, it was accepted that the "firmament" revolved around the earth.

You have to remember that until 150 years ago, (Darwin), everyone thought all that sh1t was true.
200 years ago, we still had slaves.
50 years ago, we put single mothers in asylums, and still had apartheid colonies.
50 years ago, we still called a priest to "exorcise" people from "possession", whereas now, we treat that with medication.
We're still learning.

2000 years ago, they understood nothing.
Every fire, flood, drought, eruption, or disease, was thought to be the "wrath of god".
Some deluded christian nutters [Med. Term] still make those kinds of claims: that "the New Orleans Hurricane was god's wrath, for homosexuality", apparently...

Everyone is entitlled to believe in what they want to believe in.

Yes, they are, now, but that's contrary to what religions would like.
The "Blasphemy law" was only repealed recently here.(2008)
Before that, religions here, acted just like the Taliban, if you didn't believe, you could be imprisoned or even killed. (You still can, I believe, in Pakistan).
As to the rest of your post, particularly this:

As humans do we exist when we are asleep and are dreams the reality. So going back to the OP any scientist declaring that a greater being due to actions of the mind may as well believe that all his dreams are true as well.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about there. Do you..?
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/21/2012 2:35:18 PM
Yes I do if you watched the recent programs on time where scientists tried to expound various theories on time. Your perception of time only exists when you are awake and conscious of it. Therefore when you are asleep for you p
personally you have no perception of time passing. But then again scientists live on theories.
 flossiescratchwood
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 2:43:58 PM

But then again scientists live on theories.

I've said it before but I like repeating myself.It might be a nice surprise if people understood basic concepts before posting complete cods but that might be a bit much to expect. Theory is NOT some sort of made up fairytale.Theory comes from a body of work or evidence and remains the established/ accepted version of events until something shows otherwise.

vvvvvvvvv

just to make it clear.I am not talking about any one particular phenomena with teh word theory attached to the end of it.Rather expressing a degree of frustration at oneonowns lack of understanding of how science in general works.
 dwight_the
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 2:58:03 PM

I've said it before but I like repeating myself.It might be a nice surprise if people understood basic concepts before posting complete cods but that might be a bit much to expect. Theory is NOT some sort of made up fairytale.
Theory comes from a body of work or evidence and remains the established/ accepted version of events until something shows otherwise.
LOL..
 *rem*
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 3:40:55 PM

There’s an interesting and easy visual test for anyone who’d like to discover if there’s any truth in that theory along with the various functions that each side of the brain is responsible for.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/right-brain-v-left-brain/story-e6frf7jo-1111114603615

Strangely enough, when I do that test with my logical head on, the dancer spins the opposite way as to what she did when I didn't have my logical thinking cap on.....most peculiar.

Anti clockwise when i just look. As i was thinking of writing this post.. clockwise. Which probably explains me quite well. The only thing i believe in the bible is God created man in his own image. Therefore I am (we are) equal to and no less than God.

What I don't understand is how any human thinks that their intellect/science can prove or disprove something that, if it does exist, would be waaaaaaay beyond mortal comprehension.

It would be like a single cell bacteria, trying to comprehend the LHC.... But multiplied by about a zillion!

Haha.. try to concentrate..
"Many theoretical physicists (e.g., Stephen Hawking, Edward Witten, Juan Maldacena and Leonard Susskind) believe that string theory is a step towards the correct fundamental description of nature. This is because string theory allows for the consistent combination of quantum field theory and general relativity, agrees with general insights in quantum gravity (such as the holographic principle and Black hole thermodynamics), and because it has passed many non-trivial checks of its internal consistency"
Moral of the story? Try using that one brain cell.
 Lusipher
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2012 11:15:58 PM
@msg 29

Almost sound like solipsism to me.

There is only one thing in the world I know to be true and it is impossible to prove it.

That truth is that my mind exists... everything I perceive could just be a figment of my imagination and there is absolutely no way to (dis)prove it.

It was my favourite lesson from when I studied Philosophy and the one which tended to cause the most arguments.

@msg 34

Thanks for that.

No idea why you said that though. It's not something I understand, but I am sure that there are people out there who do.

A human mind has limitations. Science cannot accept something it has deemed/proved to be impossible to be true.

So, I don't see how a human or science can be expected to comprehend a being (who may or may not exist) whose consciousness has no limits and can do the impossible.

I find it a bit amusing that some people rail against such a simple idea.
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/22/2012 2:34:44 AM
It might be interesting to know the proportion of the population of the world who do or don't believe in a higher being.
My bets would be on the majority believing in ''something'' existing.
I don't think I have been anywhere in the world where there are not temples , churches, shrines along the side of the road to symbolise their religion. Maybe the scientists might like to explain that.
 Dr__Matt
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/22/2012 6:45:41 AM

It might be interesting to know the proportion of the population of the world who do or don't believe in a higher being.

In 1600 most people believed the world was flat. Majority opinion doesn't make something more credible.
 Jo van
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 6:46:31 AM
What I don't understand is how any human thinks that their intellect/science can prove or disprove something that, if it does exist, would be waaaaaaay beyond mortal comprehension.

It would be like a single cell bacteria, trying to comprehend the LHC.... But multiplied by about a zillion!

And yet you seem prepared to accept the 'definitions' and declared existence of such a being, which had it's inception 2000 years ago, by much more primitive "mortals", with a far worse "comprehension" (Of anything) who would have you burned as a witch, for communicating via internet "magic"...?
Everything used to be "beyond mortal comprehension"..
We still don't know everything, and no doubt, in another 100 years, they will be laughing at our understanding and beliefs, but we're getting there, we know more than we did 50 years ago, or 100 years ago. We definitely know more than they did when they attributed everything to superstitious beliefs, like 'god', or 'gods', 2000 years ago, (or 5,000, or 8,000, depending on which 'definition' you're working from)
I also can't help noticing, that you only speak of such a hypothetical being in the singular, but many still believe in a multitude of different 'gods'.
I'm far more optimistic, (or perhaps conceited..?), I don't believe that there's anything that's "beyond human comprehension".
I think that's just religious dogma, designed to frighten people away from looking for rational explanations. "Some things we weren't meant to know". Says who..? The priests, who obviously don't want their drivel challenged, or scrutinised.

A trillion billion flies eat sh1t too. Sometimes sheer numbers are no indication of 'correctness'.
But I think it would be more interesting, to plot how the above proportions have, or are changing, over time.
It takes time for new information to reach everyone.

I don't think I have been anywhere in the world where there are not temples , churches, shrines along the side of the road to symbolise their religion. Maybe the scientists might like to explain that.

The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance.
~Socrates

Maybe it would be better if you knew a little bit about history, then, perhaps it wouldn't need to be "explained" to you..?
Religious belief has been institutionalised in many societies, under penalty of death for non-believers.
You could start with the invention of the "Church of England", and see what they did to catholics, and 'heretics'.
Look at how 'christianity' has been spread throughout Africa, and all of this country's former 'colonies'.
Or look at any other modern day 'theocracy'.
Religions have been established, and perpetuated, by violence, almost everywhere.
According to the bible, it's what "god" wanted:
Deuteronomy:

20:13 And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:
20:14 But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.
20:15 Thus shalt thou do unto all the cities which are very far off from thee, which are not of the cities of these nations.
20:16 But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
20:17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

They are still doing all that "smiting" sh1t, in Israel, because THEY believe that "god gave them the land".
It's a shame he forgot to give them the Deeds too, it would have saved an awful lot of deaths.

But of course, religious people will always claim that a belief in "god" is only a benign, harmless, and beneficial thing.
So how come they've been killing each other, over the "holy land", for over 2000 years..?

People are entitled to believe in whatever "woo-woo" makes them happy.
But I'm also entitled to say, with absolute certainty, that it's all primitive BS.
 stillsparkly
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 7:01:52 AM
In my humble opinion I think religion is a load of old bvllocks!
But I dont feel passionate about disliking religion - I simply dont care!
The scientists that have made this amazing discovery that "god" is all in the head - maybe need to put their energies and money elsewhere!
People of "faith" in my opinion tend to be the most blind - they will come up with a justification for everything to support what they believe in no matter how fairy tale like it apears to the "non believers "
Im not saying its right or wrong before the god squad come to get me - I just think that a persons existance all revolves around their own perceptions / beliefs about things and no amount of scientific "facts" are going to change that x
 Lusipher
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 7:11:02 AM
@msg 38

Maybe you missed it amongst your fanatical ravings, but I am not remotely religious and I don't believe in God - I've only mentioned it a few times, in pretty much every thread of this nature. You might have also missed the bit, when I said that I don't really pay attention to various holy texts because they were written by man - I will admit, once again, that I do like the idea of there being a cosmic architect.

However, I do believe that there may be things that the human mind cannot comprehend. Maybe that will change one day... but I don't think "one day" will be arriving for a very long time.

You remind me of my fellow students in Philosophy who just refused to accept the possibility that everything we know is possibly just an idea and none of existence is "real". Their minds couldn't comprehend that such a thing could even be possible and therefore they ruled it out as nonsense.

There are some things my mind cannot comprehend - the paranormal, the power of astrology, how some people just can't accept that people don't like them, etc - and I rail against the notions, but... and this is a big but (and I cannot lie)... I accept the possibility, that just because I don't/can't believe it to be true, doesn't mean that I am right.

The self-righteous and blinkered members of both camps (believers vs non-believers) refuse to believe that they might be wrong... and I find that a bit sad.

So to repeat my point, I don't think that humans can truly comprehend the idea of a being that can do ANYTHING. I also believe that Science cannot accept something to be true, when it has proven it to be impossible.

We are limited by out current capabilities. If there becomes a time when we can do anything and understand everything... well, we won't need to question the existence of God, because we will be "gods"

You see religion as the problem. Whereas I think the problem lies with SOME people.

It's why I wouldn't blame alcohol, drugs, video games, the media, guns, etc for the problems of the world... I place that squarely on the shoulders of certain sections of humanity.
 Sirenara
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/22/2012 8:38:15 AM
I don't believe scientists know as much as some of them think they do...............this study was done on TWENTY people, that's all 20.

Science findings are shifting all the time anyway, in a few years this one will have changed just like all those food warning scares we get from scientists that change a few years later. One minute this or that is bad for you after "scientific studies," shows it is harmful for you, then it changes again to now it's OK.

I don't necessarily believe in the old dead white guy with a long beard and blue robe sitting on his throne in the sky but I do believe in "something."
 fredforties
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/22/2012 8:40:20 AM
we are far more limited by our ability to refuse to accept that we could indeed know much more, decade upon decade.

the powers of the paranormal and astrology elude me as well, but not because it is waaaaaay too clever to fathom out! they're palpable bollocks and belong in the looney tent at crystal healing festivals.
 Jo van
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 8:46:42 AM

Maybe you missed it amongst your fanatical ravings, but I am not remotely religious and I don't believe in God - I've only mentioned it a few times, in pretty much every thread of this nature. You might have also missed the bit, when I said that I don't really pay attention to various holy texts because they were written by man - I will admit, once again, that I do like the idea of there being a cosmic architect.

Your ad hominem attack implies I've personally 'touched a nerve', or that you've somehow taken my interest in this topic, personally. I'm pretty sure you'd beat me on both word-counts, or post counts, on a great many topics, so "fanatical ravings" seems slightly hypocritical.
You say "I do like the idea of there being a cosmic architect." Again singular, seeming to show that you have a monotheistic bias, probably subconsciously gleaned from your environment. Do you also like the idea of a "devil"..? As all of the 'teachings' show them to be two sides of the same coin. If not, why not..?

You remind me of my fellow students in Philosophy who just refused to accept the possibility that everything we know is possibly just an idea and none of existence is "real". Their minds couldn't comprehend that such a thing could even be possible and therefore they ruled it out as nonsense.
Things existed before I was born, (I have actual proof!) and they (things) will continue to exist after I've died, though my own subjective 'reality' (my mind) will no longer 'exist'. Perhaps it's you, who can't comprehend that..?

There are some things my mind cannot comprehend - the paranormal, the power of astrology, how some people just can't accept that people don't like them, etc -

There's no such thing as "paranormal".
"Astrology" has no "power".
Some people are just 'stupid'.
What's so difficult to "comprehend"...?

and I rail against the notions, but... and this is a big but (and I cannot lie)... I accept the possibility, that just because I don't/can't believe it to be true, doesn't mean that I am right.

That's a very healthy viewpoint. We can only 'work' with the information we've gathered so far.
On another forum, I used to have the 'tag-line': "One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing ~Socrates."
We're still learning, and gaining new insights. But that doesn't mean we should ignore all of the evidence so far. Or perpetuate old beliefs.
Science has disproved many previously held beliefs. Religion is just one of them.

The self-righteous and blinkered members of both camps (believers vs non-believers) refuse to believe that they might be wrong... and I find that a bit sad.

I find it "a bit sad" that women have been killed, after they've been raped, or that homosexuals have been killed, that children have been killed, and mutilated, for religious beliefs. I find it "a bit sad" that religious people in the west, "reincarnated" (NPI) the "Tribe of Israel", 2000 years later, and bulldozed entire villages, and murdered their populations. For a belief.
It's not a question of "refusing to believe I'm wrong", I can 'un-pick' the bible, a line at a time, and PROVE it to be wrong, not just in my opinion. (Take the Deuteronomy section quoted above, for example)
I find the self-righteousness of agnostics, smugly declaring that 'fence-sitting' to be the only "correct" view, to be a bit sad, as well as displaying both a lack courage, and commitment.

So to repeat my point, I don't think that humans can truly comprehend the idea of a being that can do ANYTHING.

I'm fully capable of comprehending the concept, and that it's a primitive fiction.

I also believe that Science cannot accept something to be true, when it has proven it to be impossible.

I know, what a bummer..

We are limited by out current capabilities. If there becomes a time when we can do anything and understand everything... well, we won't need to question the existence of God, because we will be "gods"

If you've ever flown anywhere, at 35,000 ft, at over 400mph., by the standards of the people who invented all known 'gods', you already are one.

You see religion as the problem. Whereas I think the problem lies with SOME people.

Yes, I do. A massive problem, world-wide.
You are an apologist for religion, probably because you don't want to offend the vast majority of people who still believe, who actually do no harm.
The "SOME people" you refer to, get their ideas from the religious texts, like the one above, open your eyes.
The only thing that's "not negotiable", is "The word of god". It can't BE edited.
Read the bible, or the Koran, or the Tora, they all advocate violence, because all three "worship" the "Old Testament", and believe it to be the "Word of God", as dictated to "Abraham", "Moses", and the rest.
You're basically saying that "its sad" that I'm not prepared to consider that "the truth".
I think that's ridiculous.
 mazeyh
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/22/2012 8:52:55 AM

I don't believe scientists know as much as some of them think they do...............this study was done on TWENTY people, that's all 20.

Science findings are shifting all the time anyway, in a few years this one will have changed just like all those food warning scares we get from scientists that change a few years later. One minute this or that is bad for you after "scientific studies," then it changes again to now it's OK.

.........and whoever did the research wouldn't have made any definitive claims for it.Not if they ever wanted to be taken seriously again by their peers. You might notice the word 'suggests' in the op.Researchers will only ever make tentative claims because they know darn well they're onto a hiding if they don't.

Meta analysis ( combining results from all known studies) is the only thing that will show trends and patterns.It's the media who get whiff of a study and splash it all over as if it were the truth, the law and the holy grail.If you want to know stuff about health in particular go and read some of the reviews at cochrane.org , to get an idea of the overall picture behind a news item.

and for anyone who might be interested there is a lovely little page at CERN trying to explain the difference between a theoretical phyicist and an experimental. haha well I liked it anyway and there's no accounting for taste.
http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/people/Experimentalists-en.html
 Lusipher
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 9:26:59 AM
@msg 43

I wasn't referring to the word count. I meant the same kind of outbursts that I'd expect to see from some hardcore god-botherers.

Well I don't see how I've taken it personally when I am not religious. Plus it's not just you, it's the people at the extremes on either side that bug me... Their absolute sureness that they are right and people who believe differently have to be idiots, or blinkered or naive.

Yes, I like the idea of there being a cosmic architect.

You are thinking in terms of some god who created us and expects us to live a certain way and do what he wants us to.

Whereas I just think it would be kind of awesome if there was some kind of cosmic being who went around creating universes and all the entities therein (which wouldn't negate the idea of evolution) - I don't think of god/the cosmic architect as someone who gives a fvck about us, once it's done its job... So it would be neither good, nor evil. So need for a devil - although I do find the heaven vs hell aspect of christian mythology very interesting.

A cosmic destroyer would also be a fascinating notion. You'd probably need both to maintain some kind of balance - something gets created, something gets destroyed.

So as you can see, even if the cosmic architect I spoke of did exist, it wouldn't resemble the god or gods that you and others are arguing about.

Like I said, with the idea of solipsism everything we perceive could just be a creation of the mind and there's no way to prove or disprove it. Some people get the theory and other people don't.... it's no biggie.

Once again, just because I believe something does or doesn't exist, does not mean that I am definitely right. I try to accept the possibility that things I believe, may be wrong - although I find that harder to do with some things, than others.

You want to blame a concept and religious texts written by people and I just want to blame people (seeing as they're the ones who can make a choice whereas the other things have no sentience)

No, for me to be a "god" I would at least need to be able to absolutely anything - especially things that Science says are impossible.

Why would I apologise for religion? It's a concept... an idea. I can't apologise for it (nor would I try to, even if I could)

As for trying not to offend people... yes, I am famed for the way I go out of my way to make sure I don't say anything that people might find offensive. Especially on here, I can't stop myself.

As I said, I wouldn't blame religion for the actions of some people, in the same way that I wouldn't blame all those other things I mentioned for the actions of some people. I think people should take responsibility for their own actions... Whereas it would seem you want to pass it on to an abstract concept.

Plus (for the THIRD time) I don't pay attention to religious texts because they were written by people. If the idea of religion got a voice and said all that guff, then you might have a point... but it didn't. They were all scribed by the hand of man.

So as I couldn't give a fvck about some holy book, why would I think it's sad what you think of what's inside it? So basically... you were wrong.

I like discussing religion... as long as it's done with an open mind. When hardened atheists and god-botherers get involved, then it just gets a bit fvcking retarded.

Vvvvvvv

I did it for two terms at Reading University when I was about 20... and then dropped it when I dropped out of university (again)

It was a side course to my actual degree. So only an introductory course covering the basics.

I'd like to take it up properly again... one day
 fredforties
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/22/2012 9:29:19 AM
what kind of philosophy did you study - and where?
 CharityTrue
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/22/2012 10:04:21 AM
@11
generally scientist dont burn, murder or lock people away for life for proving a theory wrong ....

Of course all those lovely doctors in Auschwitz, Belsen, Dr. Mengele, all just harmlessly upholding the Hippocratic oath.... do me a favour... Scientists and doctors; all lovely hard-working people... no just humans capable of savagery , like everyone else...

@36

Of course the majority in the world believe in something, atheism is relatively new phenomenon...
I am willing to bet probably nearly everyone on this page, including all the agnostics and atheists had believing grandparents...
I think the spiritual capacity, the ability to easily conceive of things beyond our physical realm is one of the things that makes us unique as humans... It also makes me wonder why we all have it...
Making a decision one day to ignore something doesn't make it go away....
 fredforties
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/22/2012 10:49:58 AM
it is exactly the believing grandparents that conditions the offspring to accept what has always been accepted - accepted as part of the social order... like flat earthism, the juju monster and the volcano, the wrath of god inflicted in a tidal wave or an alqaeda air assault on homosexual cities

we are blessed with knowledge and a zeitgeist that wasn't available to our grandparents, nor to the substantially catholic doctors of the concentration camps

you have your own brain an a whole generation of radical new knowledge - use it.
 Jo van
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 11:14:26 AM
I wasn't referring to the word count. I meant the same kind of outbursts that I'd expect to see from some hardcore god-botherers.

And yet in your first post, you said
At its most basic form, I have no issues with religion.
If someone has faith in God and that brings them peace and comfort, then go for it and fvck the naysayers."

Which particular "outburst" of mine, were you referring to, when you described my post as "your fanatical ravings"..?

it's the people at the extremes on either side that bug me... Their absolute sureness that they are right and people who believe differently have to be idiots, or blinkered or naive.

And yet YOU described people who disagreed with YOU, as "self-righteous and blinkeredand "a bit sad".. Hmmm..

You are thinking in terms of some god who created us and expects us to live a certain way and do what he wants us to.

Nope, pay attention, I don't believe in "god/gods". I don't even "like the idea".
I don't think "he" created us, nor do I think "he" has any expectations, because "he " doesn't exist".

You want to blame a concept and religious texts written by people and I just want to blame people (seeing as they're the ones who can make a choice whereas the other things have no sentience)

You seem very confused.
Yes, people wrote the bible (at a time when they knew no better) and other people choose to implement those "rules" today.
So why say; "At its most basic form, I have no issues with religion."..? When it's the "rules" of those very religions, which tell people to kill their wives, or children or believers in other faiths..?

That's like saying: "It's not Osama Bin Laden's ('non-sentient') instructions to kill, it's the people who do the killing, who are to blame". The reality is that they are both to blame.

The bible/tora/koran are full of race-hate, and incitement to commit violent crime.
You seem to be saying that I'm somehow "fanatical" for having objections to that.
You say that YOU "have no issues with religion." so you are an "apologist".

As I said, I wouldn't blame religion for the actions of some people, in the same way that I wouldn't blame all those other things I mentioned for the actions of some people. I think people should take responsibility for their own actions... Whereas it would seem you want to pass it on to an abstract concept.

The existence, (or not,) of "god" is an "abstract concept". (because it doesn't exist!)
The instructions and beliefs of each religion, are very clear, tangible, and real.
Killing your wife if she disobeys you, or hanging homosexuals, or other deemed "sinners", are not "abstract concepts". "Sin" is an abstract concept... Are you sure you studied philosophy..?

So as I couldn't give a fvck about some holy book, why would I think it's sad what you think of what's inside it? So basically... you were wrong.

You said: "The self-righteous and blinkered members of both camps (believers vs non-believers) refuse to believe that they might be wrong... and I find that a bit sad."

So, Why is it "sad", for me to believe that killing your wife, your children, homosexuals, or "non-believers", as instructed in the bible, to be "wrong"..?
Is there really a possibility that I am "wrong", in thinking that's "wrong"..?
Why is it "sad" that I am critical of the bible, and the "rules" of all three "Abrahamic faiths", who believe that what they do, is the "will of god".

Your criticism of my objections to the barbaric beliefs of superstitious neolithic farmers, being perpetuated into the future, all done from the guise of some 'superior' agnostic position, is nothing short of apathy. Particularly when combined with your statement, that you "have no issues with religion".

I'm no "activist", but I raise my objections, when given the opportunity. As in this debate. They are not "Fanatical ravings".
If you don't like it, read another thread.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".
 drinkofcoolant
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 11:57:16 AM
I hate the arrogance of mainstream Science. Its almost like its become the new
religion. Wasting countless amounts of money on their dogmatic string theory opinions and pointless philosophical arguments among others.

What is the reason for the constant war with religion? That's not even important. Its almost like its trying to deflect attention away from itself.

I would suggest we've forgotten more about Science and Physics in recent years than we've gained, we're certainly not putting it to any practical use.

We need an inexpensive fuel source to replace the oil reserves that are constantly rising in price and leaving more and more people in poverty, otherwise we're going to be in the deepest of $h!T.
Not to mention the pointless foreign policy.

With alternatives such as Victor Schauberger's Implosive Centripetal motion vortices that he discovered were 27.5 times more powerful than the explosive Centrifugal version of the 1940s (and clean) Every Engine today is based on Centrifugal force or explosion.

Then there's Nikola Tesla's method of extracting energy from the vacuum, then transmitting it to the world for free use which was his intention with his Long Island Transmitter however what we got was the birth of radio instead with Marconi's version.

There are many more alternatives that could be very important to us but in its arrogance Mainstream Science would rather debate religion or the relevance of its pointless string theory.

Science is bought and paid for.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > god .... its all in your head say scientists