Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Best guns for concealed carry?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 26
Best guns for concealed carry?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Mk IV anti-personnel hand grenade! -> fits in the pocket, VERY effective on multiple assailants, low skill/aiming required, works even under high stress
 Paul K
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Best guns for concealed carry?
Posted: 4/25/2012 1:04:26 PM
Hey rax.......

You wrote:
"to the poster that suggested snake shot.........very bad idea.............a procicuting attourny will jump all over the fact that you had the presance of mind to use ammo that will cause pain...............not kill.....therefore you werent in fear of your life...........therefore you planned to shoot someone......"

The problem with that reasoning is that then the same argument can be used if you carry anything less than a .45 cal., or even a .44. The reason the military services went from a .38 to a .45, is stopping power. They went to a 9mm because of political pressure, and having to conform to our allies in NATO.

That same argument then would go to show that you weren't intending to kill anyone, but wanted to stop them from harming you.........................

Paul K
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2012 2:28:18 PM
The FN Five-SeveN ... any questions?

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF003

Published reports indicate that as factory loaded, the 5.7x28mm drives a 32 grain bullet, load #SS190-AP (armor piercing), at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2350 fps with 390 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy (ME). The 28 grain spitzer bullet, load #SS195LF-JHP, has a muzzle velocity of 2350 fps and muzzle energy of 290 ft. lbs. The 40 grain Hornady V-Max bullet, load #SS197SR, claims a muzzle velocity of 1950 fps with 340 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/25/2012 3:56:41 PM
^^ they are not acceptable,they are non-American, therefore extremely suspect..made in communist Belgium
(I am learning from POF forums, every country other than USA is 'Communist')

how could you trust a firearm made in BELGIUM>?

VVV

yes I know, FN supplied the vast majority of the "Free world" (Non-communist, to most people, countries) with their military rifles for quite some time (EXCEPT for the USA)

FN-FAL was the standard weapon for UK, British Commonwealth countries, much of Europe & South America, etc. US military insisted on US-made and went with the M-14 instead (designed the performance tests around the M-14 so it would win vs. FN-FAL.

FN also makes a lot of machine guns for many military forces; including the MAG 7.62 x 51 mm. called "M-240" in USA and 5.56 x 45 mm. Minimi called the M-240 or sometimes "SAW" (Squad Automatic Weapon) in USA

VVV
 Paul K
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2012 4:08:05 PM
Hey out............

You may be learning, but you are not learning much. YOURS is the only opinion that any country other than the USA is communist.

For your info....... Fabrique Nationale has been making very high quality, rugged weapons for many years. Their FN-FAL in either .308, or .223 was one of the highest standards for many years.

My only problem with the 5.7 round is that as a concealed weapon, it is a bit big......... If we are talking about the same gun.

Paul K

edit: nice piece.......... I think that they also make a very compact rifle version that uses the same round....... very nice.
 soicat
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/25/2012 5:12:28 PM
North American Arms .22 magnum is so small you can carry it in running shorts, and I'm told it packs a punch.

A snub-nose hammerless Smith and Wesson .38 looks easy to carry, and doesn't leave shell casings for forensics.

Doesn't Glock make a 9mm with a 17 round clip? That would be useful if you were in flash-mob country.

But if we're voting, I'm betting that the winner is a Colt .45****d and locked. Say yer prayers, varmint!
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/25/2012 5:21:30 PM
A snub-nose hammerless Smith and Wesson .38 looks easy to carry, and doesn't leave shell casings for forensics.

I had assumed this topic was about ' legitimate' carry, not doing a hit for gangs, etc. If a legit shoot, why would you worry about shell casing son the ground? going to run away before the police get there>?
 Paul K
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2012 5:24:55 PM
North American Arms makes a .22 long rifle and a .22 mag. version of the gun. I have both, and they are about one step above carrying a skinning knife. Not very accurate, but VERY small. The .22lr is a 5 round piece, kind of complicated to reload, but very nicely made of stainless steel. There are also various holsters and things to carry them in so no one know you have it.

All depends on what you are looking to acomplish.

Paul K
 soicat
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/25/2012 5:41:55 PM

I had assumed this topic was about ' legitimate' carry, not doing a hit for gangs, etc. but you can't carry legally in BC anyway

You can legally carry in B.C. - at least when I last checked - although the process is so strict it may be impracticable for all but ex-law enforcement or similar applicants. And the North American Arms revolver I mentioned - along with most "mouse" guns - is a prohibited weapon everywhere in Canada as the barrel is too short; I intended my post for Americans.

Our American friends who - unlike Canadians - have a constitutional right to bear arms, may wish to reflect on the wisdom of "legitimate" carry. What will happen if the rules change?

And BTW American gun owners: DON'T bring handguns into Canada. Mandatory minimum 3 year prison sentence - no discretion for the judge - if the Crown proceeds by indictment, which they're directed by current policy to do.
 soicat
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/25/2012 6:06:15 PM
If a legit shoot, why would you worry about shell casing son the ground? going to run away before the police get there

I'm sure you can envision a scenario where you're justified in defending yourself, but would prefer not to have to justify it to others.

Edit: and p.s. - no need to run.
 red_fir
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2012 6:15:44 PM
I've teased myself with the prospect of a custom single action in 5.7x28mm, it would be an excellent round to harvest furbearers with almost no pelt damage.
 mungojoe
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/25/2012 6:22:25 PM

@msg 5 True. The government confiscated your fire arms long ago.

They did...?!? How come no-one ever told me...?

They must have done a really piss-poor job of it then because they missed me, they missed all my shooting buddies down at the range, they missed the range I generally go to, they missed the stores where my buddies and I bought our firearms and they missed the stores where we buy our ammunition...

Carry on Comrades.

We will, just as I am sure some will carry on being ignorantly misinformed...
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/25/2012 6:48:30 PM
@double cabin:

A guy posts about guns on a dating, not gun, forum,

That's why he posted in the "Off Topic" forum.

Yes, the people (like you) who are trying to make this thread into a debate about gun control ARE trolling. Sorry, but if you don't want to be called a troll, then don't troll.
 Padawan61
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2012 6:55:33 PM
Nice gun, very reliable

Really?? How many people have you shot and killed due to a pressing need to do so??
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2012 6:58:00 PM
The best carry gun IMO is one made in America. If you're gonna' shoot me at least use an American gun....How about a S&W or Ruger?
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/25/2012 7:38:22 PM
Joe Blow has consistently shown he is capable if licensed and trained properly. I agree that people who carry should train and be prepared to use their gun. They should also get training in weapons retention so that they can prevent it from being taken from them.

So are you saying that the average Joe somehow recieves better training than police officers and is fully prepared to act correctly in a situation where the possibility of kill of be killed comes up. Should I assume you think that the average Joe is also better trained and more capable than our soldiers overseas in such situations?
 Double Cabin
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2012 7:45:46 PM
VT 1032,

Unless you consider South Africa part of the developed world you'll note there is no major country with a Gun Death Rate higher than the US. You go down the list and you will note most European countries have less than half the rate we do. PERIOD.

As to trolling with all due respect if you wanted the best possible assortment of qualified opinions on guns you would do so in a gun, not dating forum.

ROTFLMFAO.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/25/2012 7:58:42 PM
^^^ If you don't like the fact that he posted it here, then why do you keep posting to the thread?

VT1032
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/26/2012 4:29:52 AM
Dude, it's the off topic area for a reason. That means the OP can talk about whatever he wants. If that means he wants to ask about carry guns, more power to him. If you'll notice, there have been plenty of legit replies that just answered his question. Troll.

Most European countries also have a significantly lowered crime rate then we do, not just violent crime, but all crime. Slovakia, which I would consider part of the developed world, does have a higher gun death rate then us. What all those countries are missing is the socio-economic and racial issues that lead to a very high crime rate here in the US. While we have a very high average income, that isn't universal and there are a lot of very poor people in the US, generally clumped into the same neighborhoods. If you look at those gun deaths, you will see that the majority come from urban areas, and that a good chunk of those were done with illegally acquired weapons. It isn't legitimate gun owners who are doing it, much less CCW holders.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/26/2012 6:33:17 AM
If you look at those gun deaths, you will see that the majority come from urban areas, and that a good chunk of those were done with illegally acquired weapons

The easier it is to acquire weapons legally the easier it is to acquire them illegally. A thief could simply break into someone car or house or mug someone ( who was not prepared to actually use thier concealed weapon ) to steal thier stuff as well as the legally acquired weapon. In some places in the US isn't it almost as easy to buy a gun as it is to pick up a bottle of liquor.
 seymore.fish
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/26/2012 7:50:52 AM
This thread is just so American lol

you lot need to holiday here ,where the police say" stop, or ill shout stop again".

God bless America
 soicat
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/26/2012 8:39:04 AM
The easier it is to acquire weapons legally the easier it is to acquire them illegally. A thief could simply break into someone car or house or mug someone ( who was not prepared to actually use thier concealed weapon ) to steal thier stuff as well as the legally acquired weapon.

This is precisely the reasoning behind Canadian Federal prosecutors taking such a hard line with Americans who bring handguns across the border: 3 year mandatory minimum prison sentence for someone who legally carries in the States, and has no criminal background at all.

The problem with this reasoning is that criminals don't care about laws. They have to carry to protect themselves from one another. And they'll do whatever it takes to get a weapon. So the cops are armed, and the criminals are armed, and law-abiding folks are stuck, unarmed, in the crossfire (the crossfire being mostly between criminals; they carry to defend from and attack other criminals, they're not that frightened of cops because the prospect of serving a bit of time in a Canadian prison doesn't scare them - that's only scary to non-criminals) .
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/26/2012 8:45:18 AM

False again, South Africa, a developed western country has a considerably higher homicide with firearms rate, as well as much more restrictive laws.

oh, these things can be quite misleading , it takes times for a change in law to have effect too; South Africa brought in tougher gun control laws in 2004; prior to that civilians , farmers, etc. would often carry full-auto Uzis & other sub-machine guns with them as they went about their daily tasks, I recall seeing photos from the 1980's & 1990's of farmers on their tractor with an Uzi slung over their shoulder..

Joe Blow has consistently shown he is capable if licensed and trained properly. I'll cite again the statistic that of 25,000 people < murdered with guns in the US between 2007 and 2009, only around 100 were by CCW holders. By contrast, 317 were by sworn police officers. I agree that people who carry should train and be prepared to use their gun. They should also get training in weapons retention so that they can prevent it from being taken from them.

did you mean to use the word "murdered" in that post, as in killed with no lawful reason, killed unlawfully? or did you mean "killed by"..?

In any event, one would assume that sworn police officers more routinely go INTO situations facing armed criminals in high-risk situations, e.g. break-ins, armed robberies, etc.

Supposedly licensed civilian CCW holders would not normally deliberately go into high-risk situations, e.g enter a bank while a hold-up is in progress, or confront an armed hostage-taker, etc.

also the number killed is sort of meaningless without giving the total # of CCW holders vs. the total # of sworn LEOs in the US
 red_fir
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2012 9:02:19 AM
And Back to Topic!

All of the Makarovs are excellent pocket pistols,
Kimbers Solo 9mm is only marginally larger than a .380 but damned expensive.
I've used Rossi snubnosed .357 and found it unusually accurate
Most of the S&W auto's made through the 80's and 90's had a trigger pull that required a crowbar for adequate leverage so test it before you buy it.
 Paul K
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2012 4:34:15 PM
Hey red........

You wrote:
"I've teased myself with the prospect of a custom single action in 5.7x28mm, it would be an excellent round to harvest furbearers with almost no pelt damage. "

Check into one of the HMR .17 rimfire magnums........ Rimfire, incredible velocity and range. Currently only in bolt action rifles, very affordable. VERY cool.

Paul K
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Best guns for concealed carry?