Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do most men look twice their age after 50?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MLC262
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Why do most men look twice their age after 50?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
here too in
ottawa, Canada
 statemachine500
Msg: 27
Why do most men look twice their age after 50?
Posted: 7/8/2013 5:49:26 PM

I started this thread not about women aging or about myself. I started this thread because I’ve noticed that men at my age don’t look 50-ish they look (I will be more accurate) 60 and 70 years old. I posted this thread because I wanted to know why MOST men and not women seem to look double older than their true age, period.

Even with exercise a man starts to decline after approx 42-43,45 being the outside.By 50,test is lower,growth hormone output is usually low,sleep not as sound as previously.Add poor diet and not enough exercise.....guys can age a lot between 42 and 52 if they don't take close care of themselves.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2013 7:12:05 PM
Space Weaver above...in contrast my father was 24 at the end of WW2 . He looked 19. I was 23 when I finished service and still a had to show ID to have a drink. A lot of young guys in the military smoke, drink too much and eat crap, this has more effect on their aging than military related activities.
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/8/2013 7:33:44 PM
^^^It depends what you have done in service as well that can be a factor. I was in the infantry. I spent over 300 hundred days of straight combat operations in Afghanistan, another 300 in Iraq, and another 300 in the Horn of Africa. My uncle was a Navy Corpsman who served in 5 major operations on the ground in the Pacific. You can be in the rear with the gear with 3 hots and a cot and come out looking good, while a small percentage that are just 'grunts' who are living off the land, and don't know when the next resupply will come; good sleep, or a shower, may or may not have a heavy toll on aging. Roughly 20% of the total forces in theater are actually doing the fighting, while the other 80% are support. I would say that I have fared well, yet I can see some changes the war has brought to me physically.

Britain did a study of the faces of their combat vets; before, during, and after operations. These guys aged immensely. Try looking it up. You'll be amazed.
 activemelaney
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2013 7:52:08 AM
We may look naturally 55 at age 50 or we may look 45. Lifestyle choices can give us a swing of a decade either way. Best to live healthy for all types of positive reasons. Most younger looking people have earned their reward.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/9/2013 3:29:30 PM

We all either look our age, slightly younger or slightly older. All of us. No big deal. It's like ugly, open to interpretation.

Right, its no big deal as unless you are pigeon holing people like the op is or just ranting or trolling for attention as,in only the looks department.
That imo is a sad statement in the big pic of life. As a few here jumped off their couch to answer the op & have tried to prove to the op their man hood or women how active they are nonetheless as a marker in their virility.

imo, if you only see negativity in life around you, then you imo are the one who is to old to be with in a relationship that matters.

cheers!
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/9/2013 3:38:05 PM

We all either look our age, slightly younger or slightly older.

There is no standard for how someone looks, only an average which only determines the average and nothing else and in a system that demands variety for survival, looking at the average as meaning anything is failing to understand nature.

So we do not look slightly older or younger, we all look just the way we are suppose to look.
 billingsmason
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2013 6:52:23 PM
I'm going to go with boards, chairs, knuckles, boots and shoes.... maybe the occasional wall or taillight... generally just the things that impact our faces from time to time.

That and stress. You ladies can be quite the lil balls of stress.... causing us to have to go out and find those others things I listed to de-stress. Not pointing fingers... just sayin.
 jan1025
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2013 8:28:20 PM
Hey or_current_.....:

I don’t think I ranted or am trolling for attention. Please don’t tire yourself out by humoring yourself.

I can rant, read and learn: So you are 90 years old according to your profile, and you are here for the forum, and you have master degree, lol…. Right!

Looks matter to me I will admit. I don’t go for the heart that mushy stuff I leave to grandfathers your age.
I didn’t “pigeon hole” anybody, but obviously you feel I did you!

You make me laugh, what is the “big pic of life”? *where to start….

I see you jumped off your couch or out of your wheel chair to sarcastically insult me! Hum, I didn’t think about “manhood”…now that you brought it up, How’s that ED working out for you in your virility? lmao, right!

Please, now go make yourself some popcorn and read more of the forum…I’ll try to keep posting some hot stuff for you so that you can come back an insult me some more. Get’s you up and going, doesn’t? I enjoy helping out seniors.

No need to thank me, it was my pleasure.
Cheerio!
Jan
 or_current_resident
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/10/2013 5:32:51 PM

So we do not look slightly older or younger, we all look just the way we are suppose to look.

A very sober & realistic way to put it.......well said in the big pic of life & nature.
 timeforall
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/13/2013 10:18:50 AM
I don't know Jan, but can you tell me why so many women get so "thick" after fifty? Take a look at a twenty five year old woman. If she is athletic, she is lean and gorgeous, long and toned legs and arms, a mouthwatering midsection, a pleasant disposition. Than she gets to be fifty and what do we have? Many women who have not exercised in the last twenty years, flabby arms and in particular a thick midsection. I don't mean a belly like guys get, but overall just thick instead of lean. And then there is that overall contempt and bitterness that so many women your age show towards guys. Why is that?
 jan1025
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2013 11:09:16 AM
You know timeforall, you sound bitter actually.

Again, this thread wasn’t about “women” this was about men.

How can you compare either sex to a twenty-five year old man or woman to a 50 aged and above aged person? We aren't talking about young people!

The way you sound, and I don’t know your age, I didn’t bother to read your profile, but if you’re NOT twenty-five years old you sure have some thoughts about a twenty five year old women’s “mouthwatering midsection”! So you like those young ones do you, assuming you’re my age I wonder about your state of being? Lol…

I don’t check out men that young, sorry. I’m not looking at mid sections of men; I'm looking at their body language and how they carry themselves, then I look at their faces, neck, etc. These areas say it all. I could careless if he had the body of a twenty or older person. I'm looking at the history which many wear this proof all over them if you know how to see it, and many people aren't even aware of it!

I wasn’t talking about a man over weight so much as “some” men at the age of 50 and above looking used up, you know that “been around and around look”! I’ve seen over weight men that DID NOT have that “used up look” and were very attractive, but weight wise unhealthy.

I guess, if you got the look, this thread wouldn’t sit well with you? Understandable.
Jan
 timeforall
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/13/2013 11:48:58 AM
^^^^ Right, but if you are going to comment on how guys look used up, isn't it appropriate to indicate how women look even more used up than guys of the same age, and speculate as to why? Maybe its having babies that do you in. Maybe its just your inherent DNA that makes you bitter as you leave your youth and beauty behind and become invisible. I suspect it may be a combination of both.
 Howdy_From_Harry
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2013 5:40:18 AM
The world was perfect till Eve came along. Men look this way because of what women do to us. :-)
 Howdy_From_Harry
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2013 6:03:23 AM

ElForester said:

Hmmm... I'll be 50 in 8 months. My profile pic is recent.

Today I walked through the woods all day with weight on my back. Came home, took a nap, then went to the gym for an hour. Lifted weights and did some cardio.

Eric_Summit said:

That's funny...that age bracket will be here in a heartbeat for me.
Interestingly, my last vacation was a week-long, 500-mile bicycle tour in the mountains.

She said men aged 50. You guys aren't there yet. Just wait. It is instantaneous. We'd see if Eric would post a recent pic.

Posted By: slowitalldown on 7/4/2013 6:03:47 PM

I very rarely wear makeup. I might look better wearing it, but most of the time I cannot be bothered. (Maybe I should reconsider this!)

You look fine honey bunny!

Posted By: jan1025 on 7/4/2013 6:05:33 PM

I did notice Bret Michaels likes the eye liner, lmao, lol….

Yesterday I saw The Plainsman starring Gary Cooper. He looked a different from in High Noon, which was filmed 16 years after The Plainsman. I noticed he had eyeliner on. It was really obvious in one of the scenes on the new TVs. Kinda grossed me out.

Don't forget single men over 50---- Charles Bronson (Death Wish) was ugly as could be but he was a sex symbol. William Conrad (Cannon) was fat as could be but was a sex symbol. Yasser Arafat married a 27 year old when he was 61 and he's about the ugliest man there ever was.

Yesterday I walked out of a grocery store and a man was begging money. He looked as if his faced had literally been smashed in. Flat nose, crooked teeth, and other things. I thought of how life must be hard for him looking the way he does.

OP, I didn't see anything wrong with you posting the topic. I enjoyed it but agree with someone else I haven't seen too many 50 year olds who look 100.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2013 10:42:42 AM
Brett Michaels had major face work done..........google his face lift pics

I was simply curious if other women around 50-ish have noticed this about men in this age group also?

^^^^^^^^^^

Yes but then am probably DEE LOO SIONAL about how I look .

Women also have been trained ( at least me) from grade school to not squint or frown, as it makes us "ugly".
Watched and copied mom putting on lotions ect.
It's been slammed down our throats we aren't * whatever* if we age/look less than great/gain weight.

Not so much with men of my generation/culture.
It was more about getting ahead financially.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/15/2013 9:26:24 AM

Why do most men look twice their age once they reach ages between 50 to 60?

Most of them have that “all used up look”.

I have noticed this a lot in my age bracket, and I was wondering why men my age look so old.

Is it their lifestyles, hardaches or just genetics?

Why?

No doubt lifestyle, innate emotional and physical resilience as well as genetics play a part in how 'old' we look.
Many men who are now in the 50-60 age range have been working for 30-40 years, often in grueling physical jobs.
Plumbers, pipefitters, welders, repair people, electricians, loggers, fisherman, factory workers, carpenters, mechanics, etc. all use their bodies in ways that cause a tremendous amount of wear and tear. After thirty or forty years, they are in a sense 'all used up'. Doesn't mean they are not still 'good men'. Doesn't mean they can't 'clean up nice'...
 DragonBits
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2013 10:04:05 AM
Since people talk about age so much, I have asked men in the health club about their age.

IMO many men over 55 look pretty young and most it's hard to tell if they are 60 or 75.

I think once you make it over 60, and if you work out, maybe we all look healthy.
 timeforall
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/15/2013 2:15:54 PM
In their fifties, people really start to age. The only way to counteract it is significant amounts of aerobic and anerobic exercise. Women who take care of themselves can still look good in their fifties, but unfortunately most women choose not to do so. Which is why they become so stocky. Still a lean woman at that age, if she can also maintain a pleasant personality (difficult for many women to have in their fifties) could be very desirable. But there is a reason older guys go for younger women.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/17/2013 9:31:35 AM

There`s a huge variation in how people look at any age. I find it very difficult to know people`s ages.

I have the same problem. It seems the older I get, the less perceptive I am about other people's ages. I've also met a lot of people who seriously underestimate my age, so who knows what governs it?
 NtvNtv
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/29/2013 9:46:46 PM
Some men look slightly older however I disagree with the "all used up look" remark. Harsh.

I like older guys especially when they take care of their appearance. Nice.
 omgmonty
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/3/2013 4:15:43 PM
How does one look TWICE THEIR AGE? We simply look the way we look without special meaning. True you can look old or young for your age, but twice? How do you look 120 years old? 180 years old?
 statemachine500
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/3/2013 6:16:17 PM

Here are seven habits that contribute to aging skin, and make you look older than your years:

1. Cigarette smoke
2. Sun exposure
3. Lack of exercise
4. Exposure to cold weather
5. Alcohol use
6. Stress
7. Lack of sleep

Cigs yes
Sun not really here in Canada
Lack of exercise one of the biggest,affects the body and the skin as well
Cold not IMO
Alcohol can be huge with hard liquor
Stress yes,but the body can take a lot
Lack of sleep yes but can be reversed

Hard liquor,hard drugs,smoking,no exercise,crap food,I have seen people that were hacking physical wrecks by 45.

Good food,real exercise(not just a jog or treadmill)adequate rest and test levels and you should be good after 50.
 rosewood_girl
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/3/2013 10:12:04 PM
Cigarette smoking. Thats a big one, and really makes you look older.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/4/2013 9:04:33 PM
So far this year I have done 26 steep hikes to gorgeous alpine lakes and mountain summits. At age 60, I lift weights, get cardio exercise and stretch after every workout. This lady is a hiking ANIMAL with a healthy lifestyle and diet. Also I avoid alcohol and protect my skin from the sun. Never smoked.

Take a look at my pictures. Do I look or feel "all used up"? Not at all.

OP, Stop generalizing about people.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do most men look twice their age after 50?