Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Do guys still believe in the 3rd date rule???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 101
Do guys still believe in the 3rd date rule???Page 5 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Post edited for the slow....

I think the 3 date rule is valid if sex as your ONLY goal, and not a serious relationship. I'm not saying there can't be a serious relationship if sex occurs early, but moving on after the 3rd date, if sex isn't happening, is indicative of a person's goal in dating.
 AdventureAhoy
Msg: 102
Do guys still believe in the 3rd date rule???
Posted: 3/17/2009 12:55:28 PM
OP, Put out or get out!

jk, but seriously, who thinks like this? I don't think you have to do anything. There is a time, I don't know how long it is (2 weeks, a month, 3 months), that he will think you are leading him on and not interested unless you tell him that you aren't comfortable yet. I really doubt that time period is the 3rd date, unless you date once a week (maybe then, prob. not though).
 scottoliver
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 1:09:36 PM
Oh I like the 3 date rule. Is it practical?? Lordy have to get to a 3rd date to find out. Maybe I should think more about dating and less about work and my own personal comfort and doing what pleases me. But when I've done that in the past is when things go south.
 derek_dc
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/17/2009 1:18:03 PM
The "third date rule" is absurd. When you feel it's right to have sex, go for it. Too many possibilities have been destroyed by overthinking things. Ignore any rules you have heard and you will be better off.
 MandaKay
Msg: 105
Posted: 3/17/2009 1:36:45 PM
I didn't know there was a 3rd date rule. Could be because I dont usually have more than 2 dates with a guy.
 scottoliver
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 1:58:21 PM
mandakay ----> something tells me you don't need POF to find yourself a date. Think you just like being a player uh??
 MandaKay
Msg: 107
Posted: 3/17/2009 2:02:21 PM
no but if that's what you want to think, feel free.
 867love
Msg: 108
Posted: 3/17/2009 2:21:42 PM
third date rule? (more like a guideline) thats something preached by lykis, and sex in the city,
the exception is samantha jones: "honey if you like him you have to fuck him on the first date, cuz if you dont, and he doesn't like you, you many never have another chance to fuck him"
-i kinda like the way that gal thinks
 MsMicki
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 6:37:51 PM
I don't do rules.
It's right......when it's right.

I was once told.....The only way to know if you've had sex too early in the relationship...is if it didn't work out!
Kinda makes ya think, eh?!
 Leeanne
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 6:59:38 PM
I have always had sex when I darn good and ready - first date or 100th - didn't matter as long as I desired it and I was happy before - during and after! One roll in the hay of the first night ened up being my ex and we were together almost 30 years!
 parklabrea
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 7:19:22 PM
By the way, 85032luck, Sex In The City's head writer was a man and he wrote most of the shows. Spooky, huh? He'd figured women out perfectly.

At my age, my third date rule is that by then we should be splitting the restaurant bills.....but when I was a young buck I used to use it as a casual guideline in dating. There is no doubt about where a guy in his early 20's mind is going.
 mynamesnotjesus
Msg: 112
Posted: 3/17/2009 7:41:05 PM

is the 3rd date rule a myth?

It is now since so many have leaked it from the manual in order to score points and possibly move it up to the 2nd date or even the holy grail of first date.

I remember my Greek and Roman myth class where Heracles and his brother Testacles had to sacrifice the virgin before the dawning of the third moon. Otherwise Thebes was doomed by the Krakhed. The difficulty was in obtaining Aphrodites mighty elixir of anti "let's just be friends" potion.

Classics are the best. I wish they made more of them.
 ohio07
Msg: 113
Posted: 3/17/2009 7:41:18 PM
As always Ms Micki, you make an excellent point. To me intent matters more so than timing. Did you intend to sleep with them from the get go or did it evolve organically to that point?

The problem is when there is no further contact or dialogue after. You can never be sure. You may sleep with somebody and have every intent to see them again and they ignore you.

You may both really feel for each other but find the sex unenjoyable and awkward and choose not to do it again and mutually decide to just be friends or cut your losses. You have no way of knowing that this would be the end result, and yet there you are.

I still think that 1st date/meet sex is a bad idea, unless both of you agree to it. But if there is comfort and familliarity and both sides are willing, I see no problem with it the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time, etc.
 MsMicki
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 7:57:12 PM

To me intent matters more so than timing.

Exactly!

Now get out of my head Ohio07!!
 SnarkMeister
Msg: 115
Posted: 8/21/2009 7:40:37 AM
I'm going on my 3rd date tomorrow night with someone I really like alot. So naturally I had to do some searching for this so-called 3rd Date Rule. This is the first person I've gone past the 1st date in my post-marriage life. And I've found after reading 4 separate threads here on the subject, that these so-called rules are a bunch of useless hooey.

I was worrying needlessly about the first kiss, that happened naturally, without any time to even think about it on our second date, and it was GREAT! I am hoping to kick it up one more notch tomorrow, but not expecting to go all the way. If it happens, it's because like the kiss, it was time. If not, I'm supposed to drop her? No way in hell, not too many like her out there. I'll wait quite a while longer if I have to, but my instincts tell me I won't.
 msdude
Msg: 116
blackfox
Posted: 12/15/2009 3:35:32 PM
I'm going on my third date very soon with a guy I'd love to be physical with. He's giving me mixed signals. Hope he's ready.......
 msdude
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/15/2009 3:36:57 PM
WOMEN believe in the third date rule.
If you do not both want to be sexual by the third date, what's the point?
 brighteyes77
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2009 4:45:54 PM
who made this rule??? take no notice just wait until you are sure your mate has probably been reading some kind of dating advice book or something ... the rule is there are no rules x x
 m_church
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2009 6:18:05 PM

WOMEN believe in the third date rule.
If you do not both want to be sexual by the third date, what's the point?

Well, after a while you realise that you've been on hundreds of third dates.... and no one wants you anymore.....
 Ependa
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/15/2009 11:01:33 PM
I can honestly say I've never heard that rule. Sounds like bs to me. If you're not ready, ffs, don't do it. And because he wants to or is pressuring is one of the worst reasons for you to have sex.

hmmm..is your guy friend one of his buddies?? =)
 Elgalawaat
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2009 3:32:46 AM
I don't think there is rules for that. Every one makes his own rules. When you meet some one, the number of dates is meaningless. The invisible hand will tell you if he is the one or not. That could happen in the first date.
It seems that you are not attracted to him that much. That is OK don't force it. These things has to come natural.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/16/2009 3:41:04 AM
Here we go again about the three dates thing!
I say everyone just needs to date and have sex and be happy.
Ho Ho Ho and a Merry Christmas.
 milt_n_bradley
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/16/2009 5:08:24 AM
I do.
If we are not taking of care business by the third date,it's highly unlikely that there will be a fourth.
Honestly, if things aren't headed in that directions by the 2nd date,I'd be inclined to fore go a 3rd.
 m_church
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:58:29 AM

I do.
If we are not taking of care business by the third date,it's highly unlikely that there will be a fourth.
Honestly, if things aren't headed in that directions by the 2nd date,I'd be inclined to fore go a 3rd.

And I know women who will not have sex that early just to see if the guy is one of those who believe in the third date rule....
They use it as a weeding out process.... It's funny how many guys come one date short of sleeping with the ladies simply because they tie themselves to rules....
 StuVaBch
Msg: 125
Posted: 12/16/2009 10:19:13 AM
It's funny how many guys come one date short of sleeping with the ladies simply because they tie themselves to rules....

This is just dumb.. how did the woman win in this situation? She obviously was into the guy and wanted to have sex with him and now because she decided to play a little game, it's over. Great freakin move on her part.

With that said, as a general rule the woman isn't going to see the real guy until after sex. A man in pursuit can be a wonderful creature.. once sex happens things change just like someone flipped a switch. He will either move on or he will deem himself to now have the upper hand since women tend to tie sex and commitment to the relationship.

The earlier sex happens in a relationship.. the sooner you can move on to being a couple (or not)...
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Do guys still believe in the 3rd date rule???