Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Why is smoking pot a crime? [Thread closed, man]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cranbrook2
Msg: 101
Why is smoking pot a crime?Page 5 of 60    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
YES! us potheads will rule the world ,ha ha ha :
 Meekrob
Msg: 102
Why is smoking pot a crime?
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:01:56 PM
Using pot just makes people lazy and unmotivated. Look at Mexico, where they got the name "marijuana" it is a Spanish word. If you use drugs you become blinded to it. Look at the stars who have to get off the sauce and go to rehab and everyting to kick their habits. Pot is not something harmless, it will lead to more and more powerful drugs to which you will become a slave and your life goes downhill. You start trying heroin and harder drugs and then you overdose and die. I have taken a hard line against drugs all my life. Remember, I grew up in the 60's, the days of the hippies, and I never once ever tried any drug, except for beer, which is not really a drug. It is a legal, just like wine. Please, any of you who use drugs, get substance abuse counselor now and get off the sauce. You will ruin your life and of those to whom you should set a better example.
 cranbrook2
Msg: 103
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:26:52 PM
EARTH TO MEEKROB ! what planet did you say you are from? first of all look at my profile .everything i build is done with a big fat joint hangin out of my mouth.i have been smokin weed for 25 yrs .raised two kids both very sucsessful .i own my own business and never had to kiss ass to get what i want.you think that drinking is better.how many times have you heard of people getting pulled over for impaired smoking. you just keep drinkin all your beer and wine.i am sure your liver just loves you.don,t be a knob !
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 104
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:29:39 PM
Ok Meekrob sorry but that is extreme. Let's at least be honest in that not everyone will ruin their lives smoking pot and it's simply not true that pot leads to other hard drug use. Some solely smoke pot and don't even touch a drop of alcohol. What does Mexcio, or the name marijuana have to do with anything????? Now I'm confused.
 cranbrook2
Msg: 105
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:34:37 PM
meekrob canada has just as much grass as mexico.what country doesn,t have it? get real!
 Im listening
Msg: 106
Posted: 8/22/2005 10:03:42 PM
Thank you s&b
And now that you have gone that far, go the distance and learn some more

Welcome to the CCLE’s Cognitive Liberty & Neuroethics course curriculum page. With the intent of making this course as easy as possible to organize and run, we are pleased to offer a syllabus, along with a reading package, to interested post-secondary professors and students.
Many academic institutions fail to discuss the topic and importance of cognitive liberty (the right of each individual to think independently, to use the full spectrum of his or her mind, and to engage in multiple modes of thought), even though the justification for their very existence depends on it. In today’s drug and technology saturated world, the topic of cognitive liberty is of utmost importance to anyone interested in living in a society where one has the ability to choose and voice one’s own viewpoint without fear of recrimination.
The course may be used as a complete package, or alternatively, one may wish to adapt modules from the course to fit into a pre-existing syllabus. Many of the readings are available on the web at the addresses provided: clicking on the links will open the readings in a new window. Other readings may be obtained from the CCLE. If you would like to run this course at your institution, or know of someone else who might, please contact us at info@cognitiveliberty.org
Continue for complete materials >>

Brief Description of the Course
Questions concerning freedom and coercion have played a fundamental role in the development of our society; the rapid flow of technological advances that we are experiencing often overtakes society’s ability to consider their implications in depth. Freedom and personal identity are being challenged on numerous fronts, and it is crucial that these issues be explored in a time when one’s perception of self identity may be bought, sold and manipulated in numerous ways. Cognitive Liberty may be defined as “the right of each individual to think independently, to use the full spectrum of his or her mind, and to engage in multiple modes of thought,” and is the basis of the rights conferred by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution’s Bill of Rights. The course engages students in an engaging investigation of the ethics and implications of current social trends and practices affecting freedom of thought and mental autonomy, and covers topics including philosophy, technology, law, drugs, media, surveillance and academic freedom.
Why is "neuroethics" relevant to cognitive liberty?
Neuroethics is a new field concerned with the benefits and dangers of modern research on the brain, and by extension, with the social, legal and ethical implications of treating or manipulating the mind.
Growing knowledge in the neurosciences, enhanced by exponential advances in neurotechnology (technology that makes it possible to monitor and manipulate the brain) are rapidly moving brain research and clinical applications beyond the scope of purely medical use. As was the case in discussions of bioethics, neuroethics will predictably shift from questions concerning the treatment of patients with disease, to a debate over individuals' requests for voluntary, life-enhancing applications of new brain technologies. For example, as brain-to-computer interfaces are perfected and neuro-pharmacology becomes more precise and more sophisticated, the question of how these brain technologies relate to an individual's right to control or alter his or her own consciousness will emerge as central to the debate. Cognitive liberty and the conditions of mental autonomy are central to any discussion of neuroethics, and vice-versa.
Neuroethical inquiry must, then, necessarily involve discussion of personal autonomy. Technological advancements are often portrayed and marketed as life-enhancing, even though they may have negative connotations for both the individual and society at large. Examples of current problems related to the issue of brain and thought control include the forced drugging of non-violent prisoners (such as in the case of Dr. Sell), and the pervasive use of Ritalin on children diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (parents have been taken to court for refusing to drug their children on the basis of its dangerous side-effects). Altering an individual’s brain chemistry with certain drugs directly affects their personality, and the way in which they encounter the world; if a person is drugged against their will, they lose their autonomy, and perhaps their ability to ‘be themselves.’ Without autonomy, and the right to control one’s own brain chemistry, many other rights we value become meaningless.
Index to Course Materials
Weekly Topical Outline
Reading List
• Weeks 1- 6

• Weeks 7-12

• RTF version of complete reading list

• Additional Web Resources
Discussion Questions
Why Cognitive Liberty & Neuroethics?
• General Description

• Why is "neuroethics" relevant to cognitive liberty?

• Course Objectives
Feedback Form (Word Format)
Help for Students Interested in Teaching this Course (Word Format)
Course Flyer (Word Format)
Flyer for advertising course to prospective students.
Places This Course has been Taught
Announcements/Course News

Questions concerning freedom and coercion have played a fundamental role in the development of our society; the rapid flow of technological advances that we are experiencing often overtakes society’s ability to consider their implications in depth. Freedom and personal identity are being challenged on numerous fronts, and it is crucial that these issues be explored in a time when one’s perception of self identity may be bought, sold and manipulated in numerous ways. Cognitive Liberty may be defined as “the right of each individual to think independently, to use the full spectrum of his or her mind, and to engage in multiple modes of thought,” and is the basis of the rights conferred by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution’s Bill of Rights. The course engages students in an engaging investigation of the ethics and implications of current social trends and practices affecting freedom of thought and mental autonomy, and covers topics including philosophy, technology, law, drugs, media, surveillance and academic freedom.
return to top...

Weekly Topical Outline
Click for Weekly Readings and Discussion questions
Week 1: Introduction to Cognitive Liberty
Week 2: Introduction II: Philosophical Issues
Week 3: Food for Thought: Input & Output
Week 4: Manufacturing Content I: Freedom and the Classroom
(Academic and Intellectual Freedom)
Week 5: Manufacturing Content II: The Construction of Social Meaning
Week 6: Consuming Thoughts: The Mass Media
Week 7: The Politics of Consciousness, Altered States, & Baseline Consciousness
Week 8: Drugs: A Highly Opi(nion)ated Battle
Week 9: Technology & the Mind I
Week 10: Technology & the Mind II: Social Implications
Week 11: Reading the Mind: Looking Out, Looking In-Surveillance Technologies
Week 12: Reality Models
Click here for an "rtf" version of the complete reading list with visible hyperlinks.
return to top...

Why Cognitive Liberty & Neuroethics?
General Description
Cognitive Liberty and Neuroethics is a course designed to get people thinking, to entice them to think about their modes of thinking, and above all to take their ability to think seriously. With the acquisition of a critical understanding of the proposed subject matter, students will gain an understanding of how such things as technologies, laws, and social rules factor into – and thus shape – their lives. Questions concerning freedom and coercion have played a fundamental role in the development of our society; the rapid flow of technological advances that we are experiencing often overtakes society’s ability to consider their implications in depth. Freedom and personal identity are being challenged on numerous fronts, and it is crucial that these issues be explored in a time when one’s perception of self identity may be bought, sold and manipulated in numerous ways. Cognitive Liberty may be defined as “the right of each individual to think independently, to use the full spectrum of his or her mind, and to engage in multiple modes of thought,” and is the basis of the rights conferred by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution’s Bill of Rights. The course engages students in an engaging investigation of the ethics and implications of current social trends and practices affecting freedom of thought and mental autonomy, and covers topics including philosophy, technology, law, drugs, media, surveillance and academic freedom.
return to top...
Why is "neuroethics" relevant to cognitive liberty?
Neuroethics is a new field concerned with the benefits and dangers of modern research on the brain, and by extension, with the social, legal and ethical implications of treating or manipulating the mind.
Growing knowledge in the neurosciences, enhanced by exponential advances in neurotechnology (technology that makes it possible to monitor and manipulate the brain) are rapidly moving brain research and clinical applications beyond the scope of purely medical use. As was the case in discussions of bioethics, neuroethics will predictably shift from questions concerning the treatment of patients with disease, to a debate over individuals' requests for voluntary, life-enhancing applications of new brain technologies. For example, as brain-to-computer interfaces are perfected and neuro-pharmacology becomes more precise and more sophisticated, the question of how these brain technologies relate to an individual's right to control or alter his or her own consciousness will emerge as central to the debate. Cognitive liberty and the conditions of mental autonomy are central to any discussion of neuroethics, and vice-versa.
Neuroethical inquiry must, then, necessarily involve discussion of personal autonomy. Technological advancements are often portrayed and marketed as life-enhancing, even though they may have negative connotations for both the individual and society at large. Examples of current problems related to the issue of brain and thought control include the forced drugging of non-violent prisoners (such as in the case of Dr. Sell), and the pervasive use of Ritalin on children diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (parents have been taken to court for refusing to drug their children on the basis of its dangerous side-effects). Altering an individual’s brain chemistry with certain drugs directly affects their personality, and the way in which they encounter the world; if a person is drugged against their will, they lose their autonomy, and perhaps their ability to ‘be themselves.’ Without autonomy, and the right to control one’s own brain chemistry, many other rights we value become meaningless.
return to top...

Course Objectives
This course serves to fulfill two main purposes:
(i) to create a critical environment for the discussion of the topic of cognitive liberty, in which students may actively engage in informed discussions of matters pertaining to the subject, and
(ii) to provide a multidisciplinary forum inviting students to participate in a subject that simultaneously relates to their overall educational experience and to the day-to-day reality of their lives – hence the importance of such topics as surveillance, academic freedom, and the media.
Cognitive Liberty and Neuroethics will provide an opportunity for students and academics to critically assess their position regarding freedom of thought; the course will enable informed students to consider issues that affect the way in which society has organized and is organizing itself. Persons who are conscious of freedom-related issues will be more capable of affecting public policy in an educated and thoughtful manner, whatever their opinions on the matter may be. As our ability to think is affected and altered by rapidly advancing new technologies and techniques, it is of utmost importance that we understand the implications of such technologies both for the enhancement and / or the manipulation of members of society, including ourselves.

SexyandBrainy
Msg: 107
Posted: 8/22/2005 11:06:45 PM
IMListening: Your name should be "Selective Listening" If you were truly listening then at least you would live up to your name. It's funny, I posted a long explanation as to why I don't think pot or any drug is needed to produce art (see above) to answer your argument on why the arts would benefit from legalizing pot, ironically, you chose to completely ignore that. I make a comment catching someone else on an erroneous observation which happens to be in favour of your argument and not only do you LISTEN but you want to keep feeding me more of your argument down my throat.

Not only have I demonstrated that I can be fair and have an opinion without completely discrediting your arguments but you have shown that you are so intent on changing my mind that you won't even stop to open your mind one iota to any views other than your own. I don't need to read any literature on why pot is good, so don't bother providing me anymore propaganda. I have done enough research on my own and I live by my own conclusions based on experience and lieterature I have already read. I have weighed the pros and cons and I don't need you pushing your spliff down my throat, thank you very much! So spare me. I have given you enough reasons for my view point which you choose to ignore. so be it but please, go preach to someone else 'cause it ain't gonna work over here. I don't tell you to stop smoking so don't preach to me. I just don't see the benefit of legalizing pot but I don't preach to those who smoke. I simply educate those that are not in the know by telling them the truth.
 Meekrob
Msg: 108
Posted: 8/22/2005 11:24:56 PM
You tell, 'em Brainy. You go, girl. It's nice to hear someone on these threads who is an attractive woman and also has a brain and common sense. I was beginning to wonder about the women on here.
 Im listening
Msg: 109
Posted: 8/22/2005 11:49:03 PM
did you answer they question re yellow journalism?

(...not only do you LISTEN but you want to keep feeding me more of your argument down my throat.)
Did you miss this ?
"Thank you s&b"

"Not only have I demonstrated that I can be fair and have an opinion without completely discrediting your arguments but you have shown that you are so intent on changing my mind that you won't even stop to open your mind one iota to any views other than your own."

yes you have acknowledge that and it is appriciated. so we are both stuborn, I have no illusion you mind can be changed.

"I don't need to read any literature on why pot is good, so don't bother providing me anymore propaganda."
a mind is like a parachute s&b It only works when it is open
Posted: 8/23/2005 12:10:38 AM
If I had some pot to smoke, I could probably think of a better answer than the one I am about to post, but what the shit, here it goes anyway:

Smoking allows you to enjoy yourself and your experiences in many ways and on many levels. You people who smoke pot know what I'm talking about. The rest of you are ignorant and I'm sorry... I really am... I'm sorry because it's people like you who ruin the world for the rest of us.

Okay, so, what's so great about it? You feel superb physical pleasure mixed with mental adventure; your mind roams free spinning out vastly entertaining stories, contemplating rich, heady philosophical matters, and then there's the pure freakish insanity that just makes you go, "huhhhh???" Typically, a serene, gentle emotional state results from smoking pot as well. All these things are bad for you because a good society is made of mindless, obedient slaves who are willing to kill a communist at the drop of a hat. A good society is not made of free-thinking, pleasure-loving, pacifists.

Thinking is bad because it leads to questions. Questions are bad because they lead to reason. Reason is bad because it leads to decisions. Decisions are bad because they were never yours to make, you fool, that was the GOVERNMENT'S job. That was the CHURCH'S job. That was your PARENT'S job. What were you thinking? Exactly... you were thinking... stop doing that.

You are a bad, bad person born from sin. You do not deserve to feel THAT good. This is why we made pot illegal. We want you blank, vacant, suggestible, and full of tension wound as tightly as a spring so that we may release you by trigger mechanism when and if we decide to.

In a nutshell, that is why pot is illegal. Because God hates you. The only reason God even bothered to create marijuana is so you could smoke it a couple times, get to like it, and then someone can come kick down your door and take it from you and put you in jail thus making you feel very very bad which is what you deserve. See, God knows what He's doing.

I have shared my wisdom with you, you are welcome, send checks, cash, or money orders

---> Thundergod Adamantine
 tyme_gypsy
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2005 12:40:31 AM
OH! Thundermug.... you're HILARIOUS!!!!
That was humor, wasn't it?
Those of us who AREN'T potheads are the ignorant ones? Au contraire, my drug-addled friend. Read below, and weep.

OP wrote "and I made a shitload of money and retired at 37
yep, Drug dealing. It's not just a job, its an adventure"

RE: why is it illegal, I am amazed that all you whiz kids, allegdly in college (so far) and with all kinds of worldly experience at age 22, are sitting here spewing yer own opinions rather than checking facts.
Oh! that's right! You're from the left. You opinions TRUMP facts every time.
Here. A primer on wacky tobaccy:

Adverse Effects

Harm reduction has equally little appeal to those marijuana enthusiasts who naively believe that marijuana, alone of all drugs, is a perfectly harmless herb. This delusion is quickly refuted by a review of the medical literature, which reveals extensive evidence of possible adverse effects of marijuana. From a physiological standpoint, these effects are mostly mild or of marginal significance, such as temporarily elevated heartbeat, slight and subtle impacts on immune cells, alleged changes in endocrine functioning; disputed and marginal influences on newborns, and so forth. Of considerably more consequence are the alleged psychological effects, including increased risk of accidents, impaired school and job performance, amotivation, heightened risk of drug abuse and sundry other social pathologies. Nevertheless, from the standpoint of physical health, the single best established hazard of marijuana use appears to be an increased risk of lung disease from smoking.According to Dr. Lester Grinspoon, "After carefully monitoring the literature for more than two decades, we have concluded that the only well- confirmed deleterious physical effect of marihuana is harm to the pulmonary system."1 This should come as no surprise to any naive non-smoker who has exploded in a paroxysm of coughing after inhaling his or her first toke of marijuana.

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v06n3/06364mj2.html
In the meantime, an important, unsettled concern is that of lung cancer. Despite the fact that epidemiosmoking increases the risk of cancer, especially in the throat and upper respiratory tract.6 To begin with, the tars from marijuana contain most of the same carcinogens as tobacco, to a greater or lesser extent.7 It has been argued that marijuana is even more carcinogenic than tobacco because it contains some 50% more of the highly potent carcinogens known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, by-products of incomplete combustion which are thought to be a prime culprit in lung cancer. In reply, hempsters contend that tobacco is more dangerous because it contains far more radioactive carcinogens, particularly polonium-210.8 However, this point seems moot in the light of experiments by the Leuchtenbergers and others, showing that marijuana tars, like those of tobacco, produce carcinogenic changes when applied to both animal and human lung tissue cultures.
http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v06n3/06364mj2.html

Ok, worse for you than ciggies. What else?sssuuucckkkkkkkkkkk...

Effects of Marijuana on the Brain.
Researchers have found that THC changes the way in which sensory information gets into and is acted on by the hippocampus. This is a component of the brain's limbic system that is crucial for learning, memory, and the integration of sensory experiences with emotions and motivations. Investigations have shown that THC suppresses neurons in the information-processing system of the hippocampus. In addition, researchers have discovered that learned behaviors, which depend on the hippocampus, also deteriorate.

OK so it makes you like the OP's in here who can't find these facts. What else? ssuuuuuucckkkkk

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior. A study of college students has shown that critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning are impaired among people who use marijuana heavily, even after discontinuing its use for at least 24 hours. Researchers compared 65 "heavy users," who had smoked marijuana a median of 29 of the past 30 days, and 64 "light users," who had smoked a median of 1 of the past 30 days. After a closely monitored 19- to 24-hour period of abstinence from marijuana and other illicit drugs and alcohol, the undergraduates were given several standard tests measuring aspects of attention, memory, and learning. Compared to the light users, heavy marijuana users made more errors and had more difficulty sustaining attention, shifting attention to meet the demands of changes in the environment, and in registering, processing, and using information. The findings suggest that the greater impairment among heavy users is likely due to an alteration of brain activity produced by marijuana.

Longitudinal research on marijuana use among young people below college age indicates those who used have lower achievement than the non-users, more acceptance of deviant behavior, more delinquent behavior and aggression, greater rebelliousness, poorer relationships with parents, and more associations with delinquent and drug-using friends..... Last year, Fried and his team published early findings showing a drop in IQ scores among the adolescents in the sample who used marijuana. And because the sample group had been monitored since birth, Fried had extraordinary data on which to rely. When the IQ scores were compared to those collected prior to marijuana use, the cannabis smokers were the only group to show a decline. Significantly, the IQ scores returned to previous levels in adolescents who gave up smoking marijuana.

http://www.researchworks.carleton.ca/2003_Fall/18.htm

OK so you become an anti-social dullard, and? suuuuuccckkkk....

Effects of Marijuana on Heart Rate and Blood Pressure

Recent findings indicate that smoking marijuana while shooting up cocaine has the potential to cause severe increases in heart rate and blood pressure. In one study, experienced marijuana and cocaine users were given marijuana alone, cocaine alone, and then a combination of both. Each drug alone produced cardiovascular effects; when they were combined, the effects were greater and lasted longer. The heart rate of the subjects in the study increased 29 beats per minute with marijuana alone and 32 beats per minute with cocaine alone. When the drugs were given together, the heart rate increased by 49 beats per minute, and the increased rate persisted for a longer time. The drugs were given with the subjects sitting quietly. In normal circumstances, an individual may smoke marijuana and inject cocaine and then do something physically stressful that may significantly increase the risk of overloading the cardiovascular system.

Ok, so now we're anti-social dullards with respiratory problems risking heart attacks, so what is wrong with that.....dude? suuuucckkk..sucksuck suck

Chromosomal Damage
A significant increase (3.4 versus 1.2%) of chromosomal abnormalities was reported in marijuana users as compared to nonusers .
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/medical/hollis1.htm

Effects of Marijuana on Pregnancy

Any drug of abuse can affect a mother's health during pregnancy, making it a time when expectant mothers should take special care of themselves. Drugs of abuse may interfere with proper nutrition and rest, which can affect good functioning of the immune system. Some studies have found that babies born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy were smaller than those born to mothers who did not use the drug. In general, smaller babies are more likely to develop health problems.

A nursing mother who uses marijuana passes some of the THC to the baby in her breast milk. Research indicates that the use of marijuana by a mother during the first month of breast-feeding can impair the infant's motor development (control of muscle movement).
....The infants of mothers who smoked the drug during pregnancy appeared to be affected by delayed auditory response, and later, delayed language development.

So my 3-eyed deaf baby with a tail is a stoner too and a little slow....dude. I mean....is that such a BAD thing?

Addictive Potential of Marijuana

A drug is addicting if it causes compulsive, often uncontrollable drug craving, seeking, and use, even in the face of negative health and social consequences. Marijuana meets this criterion. More than 120,000 people enter treatment per year for their primary marijuana addiction. In addition, animal studies suggest marijuana causes physical dependence, and some people report withdrawal symptoms

Hey,dude. I'm not addicted. I can stop any time I want suuuuccckkkkkk...suck suck....
What was the question?

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior
Depression(19), anxiety(20), and personality disturbances(21) have been associated with marijuana use. Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person’s existing problems worse. Because marijuana compromises the ability to learn and remember information, the more a person uses marijuana the more he or she is likely to fall behind in accumulating intellectual, job, or social skills. Moreover, research has shown that marijuana’s adverse impact on memory and learning can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.

Students who smoke marijuana get lower grades and are less likely to graduate from high school, compared with their non-smoking peers...

Ok,so I flunk or drop out; out of life and school and have to support my 3-eyed, deaf baby with a tail by selling dope. Who cares? I can retire at 37 and wear a speedo..well if I don't get caught suuccckkkkkkkkkkkk I have my smoking buddies still suuuuccckkkk
But I won;t get caught because I drive better when I'm stoned.....dude......

A recently completed study compared the effects of smoking a marijuana cigarette with or without alcohol, alcohol alone, and placebos for each drug. Actual driving was done over a course rigged with various traffic problems. Both drugs produced impairment of driving performance, the combination being worse than either alone.

Effect on driving
...Fifty-nine subjects smoked marijuana cigarettes until "high" and then were periodically tested by highway patrol officers on the roadside sobriety test.
Overall, 94% of the subjects failed to pass the test 90 min after smoking and 60% after 150 min, despite the fact that by then plasma concentrations of THC were rather low (81). It appeared that establishing a clear relation between THC plasma concentrations and the degree of clinical impairment will be much more difficult than has been found in the case of alcohol (140). The exact prevalence of persons who might be picked up while driving under the influence of marijuana is uncertain. One survey found at least 5 ng of THC per ml in blood specimens of 14.4% of a random sample of 1792 drivers detained for erratic driving. Many were associated with blood levels of alcohol as well

Any other questions from the classless class?

More info: (for those not too stoned to read it)
http://www.reelizations.com/hhguide.htm
http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html
(EXCELLENT site here)
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/medical/hollis1.htm
 jennywawa
Msg: 112
Posted: 8/23/2005 1:13:19 AM
seems the people here against legalization really think that if pot is legalized its use would go up? crime would go up? how so? i dont want to see your opinions i want a link or something with some facts .all i been reading in this thread is a bunch of christian hoopla .not all of us are christian and anyways half of this thread sounds like its straight out of Reefer Madness. its just ridiculous. we have strayed from the question i think. why wont the gov. legalize? shouldnt there be a study . like a real one .with science involved and all that good stuff. we all know that smoke in our lungs is bad for us but besides that what else? i smoke cigs too and i eat plenty of crap but nobody cares about THAT. so anyways i think the govt should try to defend its stand on pot use and allow real studies on it . after all marijuana is bushys #1 priority in the war on drugs. and id like to hear a god-free explanation why
 Im listening
Msg: 113
Posted: 8/23/2005 1:43:18 AM
In 1974 researchers learned that THC, the active chemical in marijuana, shrank or destroyed brain tumors in test mice. But the DEA quickly shut down the study and destroyed its results, which were never replicated -- until now.

Most Americans don't know anything about the Madrid discovery. Virtually no major U.S. newspapers carried the story, which ran only once on the AP and UPI news wires, on Feb. 29, 2000.

The ominous part is that this isn't the first time scientists have discovered that THC shrinks tumors. In 1974 researchers at the Medical College of Virginia, who had been funded by the National Institute of Health to find evidence that marijuana damages the immune system, found instead that THC slowed the growth of three kinds of cancer in mice -- lung and breast cancer, and a virus-induced leukemia.

The DEA quickly shut down the Virginia study and all further cannabis/tumor research, according to Jack Herer, who reports on the events in his book, "The Emperor Wears No Clothes." In 1976 President Gerald Ford put an end to all public cannabis research and granted exclusive research rights to major pharmaceutical companies, who set out -- unsuccessfully -- to develop synthetic forms of THC that would deliver all the medical benefits without the "high."

Hmm DEA shuts down study well gee willikers Cap'n Whizzbang How comes dey do dat?
 Im listening
Msg: 114
Posted: 8/23/2005 1:43:26 AM

In case you didnt get it the first tim

In 1974 researchers learned that THC, the active chemical in marijuana, shrank or destroyed brain tumors in test mice. But the DEA quickly shut down the study and destroyed its results, which were never replicated -- until now.

Most Americans don't know anything about the Madrid discovery. Virtually no major U.S. newspapers carried the story, which ran only once on the AP and UPI news wires, on Feb. 29, 2000.

The ominous part is that this isn't the first time scientists have discovered that THC shrinks tumors. In 1974 researchers at the Medical College of Virginia, who had been funded by the National Institute of Health to find evidence that marijuana damages the immune system, found instead that THC slowed the growth of three kinds of cancer in mice -- lung and breast cancer, and a virus-induced leukemia.

The DEA quickly shut down the Virginia study and all further cannabis/tumor research, according to Jack Herer, who reports on the events in his book, "The Emperor Wears No Clothes." In 1976 President Gerald Ford put an end to all public cannabis research and granted exclusive research rights to major pharmaceutical companies, who set out -- unsuccessfully -- to develop synthetic forms of THC that would deliver all the medical benefits without the "high."

Hmm DEA shuts down study well gee willikers Cap'n Whizzbang How comes dey do dat?
 tyme_gypsy
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2005 2:02:35 AM
quote jennywaaaaa-waaaaaa
i dont want to see your opinions i want a link or something with some facts .all i been reading in this thread is a bunch of christian hoopla .not all of us are christian and anyways half of this thread sounds like its straight out of Reefer Madness. its just ridiculous.

wow! This is a perfect example of how it effects your cognitive ability. The post above is exactly what she WROTE that she wants and none of it is from "christian" sites, yet it seems to have gotten lost in the smoke.
Jenny, see my post above your's. It is well-cited with links to non-christian research, which contain even MORE cites and links
Thanks, Jenny. There is nothing like a live demonstration to make a point. (profile states to the drug question >3 times a week, and under "dating interests" she has "smoking pot". Right on! Jen~ Ya think that you might be, shall we say "less than objective"?)
RE im(not)listening. 1974 study, huh? You have to go back 31 years, to find an incomplete study that MIGHT prove ONE (1) positive outcome from smoking pot?
And why hasn't that study been duplicated since? The studies are still ongoing but that one, if it ever actually existed, has never been replicated.
Choosing to hold onto that quality "evidence" in the face of hundreds of studies to the contrary is positively dogmatic to the point of appearing a faith-based belief. And you lecture long and loud about "cognition" issues....Right on to you too, Im (not)
 Im listening
Msg: 116
Posted: 8/23/2005 2:12:25 AM
well denny dimwit ya kinda missed the part where the dea closed down the study dinya?
What are they afraid of ?

"lound"? veddy cogny

"Reefer Madness"(1936..."
I see and the statute of limitations on truth ran out did it then gyp?
 cranbrook2
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/23/2005 4:22:01 AM
@ tyme gypsy .get your facts straight ,i said i made a shitload of money and retired at the age of 37. i made my money in develping new homes not DRUG DEALING i have never sold as much as 1 joint in my life. so before you go shooting your lips off make sure you know what your talking about. if you want some proof i would would be more than happy to prove it. my point was to say that just because you smoke weed does not mean your going to be a lazy retard.
 Trewq36
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/23/2005 7:06:09 AM

not ONE person has been able to tell me why and how legalizing pot would benfit us as a whole,

So I guess you never looked at this link:
http://www.jackherer.com/

Prove us wrong! Prove us wrong! Prove us wrong!
And we hereby extend our $100,000 challenge to prove us wrong!
If all fossil fuels and their derivatives, as well as trees for paper and construction, were banned in order to save the planet, reverse the greenhouse effect and stop deforestation; then there is only one known annually renewable natural resource that is capable of providing the overall majority of the world's paper and textiles; meet all of the world's transportation, industrial and home energy needs, while simultaneously reducing pollution, rebuilding the soil and cleaning the atmosphere all at the same time... and that substance is the same one that has done it before . . . CANNABIS/HEMP/MARIJUANA!

Prior to the 1938 Prohibition Framers were encouraged to grow Hemp (You could have your sons exempted from the draft), You could pay your taxes with Hemp seed. The United States got into the War of 1812 against the British after they blocked the Russian sea ports and the US could no longer get their supply of inexpensive hemp.

In its Bulletin 404 the USDA announces that one acre of hemp will produce as much pulp for paper as 4.1 acres of trees and use only 1/4 as much polluting sulfur-based acid chemicals to breakdown the lignin that binds the pulp fibers. The article states that if hemp was used to make paper instead of trees, wood ash could be used instead of sulfur based chemicals to break down the lignin, thus saving our rivers from pollution.

Hemp fabrics have been found in Turkish sites of the late eighth century B.C., and there is a questionable specimen of Hemp in an Egyptian tomb dated between three and four thousand years ago.

The earliest record of the medicinal use of the plant is that of the Chinese emperor-herbalist Shen-Nung who, five thousand years ago, recommended Cannabis for malaria, beriberi, constipation, rheumatic pains, absent-mindedness, and female disorders.

There is more at stake then just a few people getting a buzz.
Hemp has been a part of our cuklture and economy for thousands of years. Till dupont saw a it as a threat to their profit margin.

It has nothing to do with people getting high, that is the smoke screen to distract you.
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/23/2005 7:33:25 AM
Jenny Wawaaaaa! All I had to do was click on your profile and the first thing you offer all the fellow POFers when they click on it is the headline "BORED GIRL" as your "catch phrase". Then you read on the body of your description and you AGAIN start off the section with IM BORED. Then you go on to explain why you are bored and the fact that you sit around and smoke pot all the time. Hmmmm according to the logic in this thread AND your own you should be the most EXCITED, ELATED, DYNAMIC and ENLIGTHENED person around since your mind is so expanded to other realms, how do you even fit in boredom into the equation? I don't see how you would even have time to be bored when you are stoned and feeling so great all the time?? You guys really crack me up!

Secondly: I'm not Christian, nor do I follow any religion for that matter. In actuality some of the potsmokers on here who say GOD gave us fruit from the trees and we shall use it are Christina AND potsmokers. So your generlizations are waaaaaay off.

Thirdly get off your ASS off the playstation and go out there and do something instead of sitting at home and frying your brain. I guarantee you that will cure any "boredom"you feel. Can you actually enjoy a trip to an art gallery without frying your brain first? Can you enjoy a good bike ride in the Summer? Doubt it! Enjoy a good philosophical conversation with another human being who has his or her life experiences to mould them and make them into who they are today without having to fry that littl brain of yours first? I doubt it. You simply cannot enjoy what life has to offer... and let me fill you in on a little secret: boredom my dear...happens within. So if a potheat like you is bored all the time, and according to all the arguments on here pot just makes life better, then according to you logic there is REALLY no hope for any of us non por smokers!

shouldnt there be a study . like a real one .with science involved and all that good stuff.

There are tons of studies if you wish to read them I provided a few links on the previous pages from the BCC UK, Reuters, and MSNBC,(to name a few) all "scientist reports" on the mental effects and findings of negative effects of pot. But I see you chose to omit them since I didn't cut and paste for you the sections of articles....talk about lazyness, seems it's the only way to get you potheads to read. Go back and look for those... that should keep you busy for a bit and actually might even cure that boredom of yours.

By the way "Waaaa-Waaaa" you have NO idea what my life experience is. So don't tell me what I have and have not done because based on my opinions you ASSUME stuff. You seriously ARE clueless! have another toke...PLEASE!
 Trewq36
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/23/2005 7:37:07 AM
So Brainy I guess you're just here for the personal slights eh, as you seem to be "missing" my responses to your questions.

And the Gov't has not approved of any studies for almost a decade now. They don't want you to know the truth.
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 121
Posted: 8/23/2005 8:29:56 AM
^ I don't have time nor the desire to go through a whole website of some hippy who posted his personal threories. What I want is a first person answer to my question' from you, the real people on here. If your opinion is not good enough for me then maybe I'll check out what "Jack Herer" has to say. in the meantime you are all advocates for pot, tell me how we as a whole will benefit from legalizing it. Or is your brain that stripped that you cannot even form a constructive opinion unless you quote or provide a link to other people's opinions and theories? Just give it to me staright. the question is not a hard one if you truly believe in what you say you beleive!

What the government doesn't want is more chaos to clean up after on the streets. more mental deseases to cure, any more money allocated to cleaning up after the general disregard for our cities and towns by people under the influence of more chemicals. and that makes sense to me. Of course the gov does not think of our health they just look at the bottom dollar.

Pot heads still get your drugs so what is the big deal? People smoke pot EVERYWHERE. It's not like you can't get access to it. So in my books it makes not difference to my life by keeping it controlled or not. Just the other day I went down to the store and there was a guy in his thirties stoned out of his mind, he stunk of weed leaving trails behind whenever he moved. There was a very pegnant woman buying milk behind him with a (4 or 5) yr old child, my self and another guy waiting to pay for our products. He sat there for 10 mins trying to order a pack of smokes. I kid you not his song and dance of pointing and digging for his money and pointing and changing the brand then the size then the money, then counting the money...oh god this went on for 10 mins. The poor woman behind me was rubbing her lower back since it was clear she should not be on her feet. The guy finally gets it together then he goes to walk away and drops his money and all the change goes scattered all over the ground, so three more minutes until he picks all his shit up and so the woman at this point STILL cant pay. Well he finally walks away and leaves the smokes on the counter (which no one realised). The woman is about to pay for her milk and the guy comes back and asks the store owner, actually asks him if he just bought a pack of smokes there?? To which the store attendant tells him "yeah bud here they are you payed for them and forgot them"

It's funny to watch that in a movie, perhaps even funnier when you are sitting at home stoned watching that scene develope but to have to operate through life with a bunch of moronic individuals that just slow everything down. NO THANK YOU!
 Trewq36
Msg: 122
Posted: 8/23/2005 8:40:20 AM

not ONE person has been able to tell me why and how legalizing pot would benfit us as a whole,

Paper, Fabrics, Oil, Fuel, Food, Reclaim the soil,

The roots penetrate up to 6 feet deep, pulverizing the soil and making it arable. After harvest it leaves a root system that is mulched into the ground, revitalizing the land and making it live once again.

You asked your question, more then once and even tried to use the lack of response as a weapon. Yet you keep ignoring the Economics of it all.

All you keep posting is that some people are idiots while buzzed. Well I got news for ya, a lot of people are idiots and Drugs have nothing to do with it.
 cranbrook2
Msg: 123
Posted: 8/23/2005 8:54:13 AM
@ redneck gypsy quote ( my house has tail lights.) need i say more.trailer trash! window peeping on men .real classy you 99 cent hamburger eatin redneck.
 Im listening
Msg: 124
Posted: 8/23/2005 8:56:22 AM
speaking of profiles ROTFLMAO

"SexyandBrainy: The key to happiness is a bad memory!"
"Religion Catholic"
"Secondly: I'm not Christian, nor do I follow any religion for that matter"

So what we have here is a liar with a bad memory
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 125
Posted: 8/23/2005 9:01:48 AM

Paper, Fabrics, Oil, Fuel, Food, Reclaim the soil,

yeaaaahhh what about them? can you out all those words into a thought or is that too much to ask?

Well I got news for ya, a lot of people are idiots and Drugs have nothing to do with it.

exactly! it's those very same people we don't need to see multiply like****oaches when lights go off. It's the children that are being expose to drugs that cannot handle them that we need to protect. It's the people with deperession and the propensity towards other clinical mental disorders that we don't need to help manifest. Hemp is already being used for whatever is necessary to our lives the only way it is NOT being accepted is as a mind altering substance.
There is a reason for that and YOU fail to see it.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Why is smoking pot a crime? [Thread closed, man]