Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Classic rockers Queen + Paul Rodgers unite and tour.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 51
Classic rockers Queen + Paul Rodgers unite and tour.Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ok peeps...fill me in...torture my tormented soul and tell me about the concerts.......How did they sound? Highlights?...etc...etc..

I blissfully await your responses so i can be tortured and taunted a second time
 guitarman100
Msg: 52
Classic rockers Queen + Paul Rodgers unite and tour.
Posted: 3/19/2006 12:23:50 AM
there is a
Queen and Paul Rodgers dvd out...I saw it on PBS
here is my opinion.............

first off...... I love Queen .....I grew up with them, have lots of their Concerts etc.....

-I watched live aid 85-freddy
-the freddy tribute 1992-various artists
-Queen and Paul Rodgers

BACK to BACK to compare

-Freddy was amazing ..........but!!!!!!................. he is gone
I am just glad that Queen is out there doing these songs again....Brian May is in top form on these new paul rodgers shows...............and really a HUGE part of the Queen sound !!!!

-1992 freddy tribute--my fav was Roger Daltery doing 'I want it all'

-2005 Paul Rodgers doing ----'I want it all'..........was awesome
I think he was a good choice!!!!!.........here is why

-you need to bring in a guy that is a known singer with a classic rock track record.....
bring in an unknown would have spelt doom...many acts tried that
eg...genesis,judas priest....etc

-Paul Rodgers delivery was very good..........
different yes...........but very good
-his delivery is more blusey,muscular.........like an old road dog
but this works!!!
cause they are all 'old road dogs'

ps
no offence to Freddy................
but, growing up I loved Queen .....many hard rock guy teenagers did
but his whole flamboyant,tight black and white jump suit..... obviously openly gay persona
was enough to put off many a 15 yr old boy from admitting to liking Queen

so if we can't have Freddy
the more macho delivery of Paul Rodgers is welcome in my books

-guitarman out
 toonsmith
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2006 1:09:56 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on the DVD then. I just couldn't do the concert.

Paul Rodgers was GREAT in Bad Company. He certainly tried his hand at various projects with middling results. The Firm, The Law, a few solo albums.....

I do remember sometimes hiding a few Queen albums from some buddies who hated Queen. I'd go to school with them sandwiched between Rush, Led Zep and Black Sabbath. If anyone hassled me about Freddie being gay, I would point out the awesome fretwork of Brian May and I even won a few converts after they listened to "Father and Son" from Queen II.

Brian May must be having a ball getting out and playing in front of large audiences again.

For old time's sake, I watched Queen Live in Rio (What a freaking large audience!) and Queen Live in Budapest. Ahhhhhhhh.

Speaking of classic rockers, Guitar World interviews David Gilmour, who is back with a new solo album....after Live 8, Waters wanted to reform Pink Floyd!!!

...But Gilmour said......no thank you.

Toon
 guitarman100
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/19/2006 1:45:10 AM
toonsmith

ya check out the queen paul rodgers disc

a reformed Pink floyd !!!!!
I just saw live at pompepi directors cut....again

man pink floyd was cool!
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/19/2006 3:20:48 AM
I'll have to get the dvd, no doubts.

And yes, everything you both say speaks volumes to me. The first time i saw queen perform, before that it was only pictures in creem magazine and so forth, was Live aid. Freddie was on his best behaviour that day. No wild costumes, no riding on the back of superman...lol.
I guess the best way i can describe my dealings with it all, was at some point i just gave up. I agreed to allow myself to watch him in his most flamboyant of ways.

The following videos and dvd's are important to the legacy of Queen. Queen "live at the rainbow" 1974 and Queen "at the hollywood bowl" 1982. Both concerts show freddie and the band at their best and although freddie was quite flamboyant at times. He was rarely so flamboyant off stage. The mixed emotions he had, i believed was his downfall. He opened his heart and obviously too the wrong individuals. Thinking that the emptyness he had inside could be filled by wild casual sex with complete strangers. The munich scene did him in.

But i strongly suggest that even if you feel you couldn't see anything else done by Queen that could rekindle a fondness left when the antics of Fred's onstage persona seemed to outweigh the depth of the band and music. Get the above videos and Dvd's, im sure both are available online, thats how i bought them .

Classics from both shows are

"Live at the Rainbow"

White Queen
The Lap of the Gods
Stone Cold Crazy
Father to Son

"At the Hollywood Bowl"

Besides basically playing all their hits, freddie was on top form at this show, his voice was superb.

Staying Power.

Theres no doubts in my book, the handbook was thrown out when freddie was created. I believe the good needed the bad and the bad needed the good. But i also believe Freddie and queen were going to do their best of work later in life (like right now). But obviously that wasn't going to happen after his death.

Rock in rio was so bad. The people were simply amazing, especially singing to love of my life. But freddie was way out of shape, the band was so-so in the tightness, groove department. You could still see their was friction in the band at the time. Live at wembley was a pretty good show.

I remember in school, a guy coming up and ripping my queen button off my jacket, as if to say he could do this because i must be some fairy for liking Queen. Well, needless to say he didn't do it again and the whole time in school i was popular with everyone, especially the rockers. Sure they couldnt understand some of freds ways, but they soon realized i was a man of principle and i couldnt be tormented into change.

Peace out.
JCS
 BreakThru
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/30/2006 5:14:22 PM
I tell you, Hearing the intro to Tie Your mother Down and seeing Brian May walk out from the curtain and start to rock out was incredible!

I was singing, throwing my fist in the air and generally rocking out. By the end of the concert when the band took a bow during God Save The Queen, I was exhausted. It was a major life experience I dont think I will ever forget!

Where I was sitting... Paul Rogers could have spit on me, I was so close!
 guitarman100
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/30/2006 5:58:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^
really!!!
you rule

so how was paul?
 late™
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/30/2006 6:25:37 PM
Paul Rodgers was GREAT in Bad Company. He certainly tried his hand at various projects with middling results. The Firm, The Law, a few solo albums.....

Um, ...................Free?

His first, and best band, ....... This was the band that put P.R. on the map, ....al right? .......er, now?

Paul Kossoff, RIP.

I can't profess to ever being a Queen fan, ...sue me, .....but I have liked every tribute thing (very few), that I've seen, as far as I'm concerned, Brian May and his wall of AC-30s, is a thesis in guitar "tone", .....he isn't even in my top 100 list of fave guitar players, .....but the guys tone?!?!?!?!?...... damn!
 toonsmith
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2006 6:35:59 PM
Oh man, how could I forget Free? An awesome band ahead of their time.

I have a video of a very young & skinny (and in serious need of a dentist) Paul Rodgers belting out the tunes.

I just can't remember if it's Isle of Wight, or some forgotten festival in the Netherlands?

Free .... the good stuff!

Toon
 late™
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/30/2006 7:14:54 PM
Free was a gift from the UK, a reminder to North America that blues was still valid, ......and could be heavy handed.

Bad Company was a "super-group" with elements of Free (Paul Rogers), King Crimson (Boz Burrell), Mott the Hoople(That open tuning guitar guy), and a killer drummer (Free)...

Paul Rogers has cred to do what he pleases, IMO, ....Queen, was and is and will be Queen, ......big whoop says me, (sue me), I've seen Paul Rogers with just his voice and an acoustic, ......the guy's not Freddy Mercury, ....nor does he have to be.

I never liked Queen because the lead vocalist always made it sound like poser music (IMO), ....When I first heard them, I didn't make the connection to the gender orientation of the singer, ....which wouldn't have fazed me, ....it was the "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!!!", over the top delivery of the front man that gave me pause to scoff, .....of course back in the early '70s, I preferred more esoteric stuff anyway, ......I didn't like Boston", or Supertramp, or ELO, either, .....still think of that stuff as "tripe".

But, Free, and Bad Co. ......that was some solid shit, even for a kid who knew who, Little Feat, John Coltrane, Billy Cobham, Jaco, Capt. Beefheart, Yes, Focus, Roy Buchannon, Miles Davis, Chet Atkins, and John Hartford were....... the stuff that the radio ears never heard.

Free, ....Bad Co.

They were as "valid" as Cream, IMO....... music with balls.

Any thing Rogers is involved with is going to benefit from him being there, it may not be what it used to be, but I bet it stands on its own two feet (haven't heard 'em).
 toonsmith
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2006 8:13:32 PM
Maybe we will be suprised when Paul Rodgers and Queen enter the studio and record new material? One song I would love to hear Paul Rodgers cover from the old Queen backlog is "Sleeping on the Sidewalk" from "News of the World" circa 1977.

A great track that sounds rough and bluesy. (Brian May sang) I think Rodgers could have some fun with it.

I always feel a little sad about Jaco. I count Joni Mitchell's Shadow and Light video with him doing an awesome bass solo, as one of my favorite musical moments.

I think we do right by mentioning these artists names. Younger people out there looking at this, who wonder what all the fuss is about, go and download names they are curious about.

Plenty of cool Miles Davis CD's and live DVD's available at most local libraries. I know. I've checked out a few, just based on what some posters have said!

I hope to see a lot more of Queen in this new chapter.

God Save The Queen

Toon
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/31/2006 12:24:06 AM
I truly believe, both Roger Taylor and Brian May would have been royally happy with a Paul Rodgers as their lead vocalist right from the start.

But when Freddie entered the picture, well shit happens. Pandoras box was opened and whether you like him or hate him. He can't be replaced, denied or forgotten.

I think a wise choice has happened here. And the salvage of Queen as what it could and might have been, has been done. Brians sound should compliment Pauls Voice.

Hopefully some good original shit comes out.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/31/2006 6:47:29 PM
Ok, saw the show when it came to Pittsburgh on 3/20, and I must say that I had a SMASHING time! My sister loved it as well. I've a newfound appreciation for Paul Rodgers. His voice is just so subtle and simple and powerful at just the right moments. And he looked TERRIFIC! I have no idea how old he is, but he really takes care of himself. He was in fantastic condition. I hope I look that good at his age.

Minor caveats...

*The Igloo seats were a little cramped. I also didn't feel as if I could stand because I kept worrying about blocking someone's view. The next time I attend a show at the Mellon Arena, I may get the floor seats.

*I was a little disappointed in the attendance. I was hoping for a sell-out, even though there was a decent turnout and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Things I liked...

*There was a platform which Paul and Brian would climb upon, which I thought was really cool. You could just feel Brian's electricity. Godlike really. So while the Igloo seats weren't the most comfortable, we had a unique viewing experience.

*I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of younger people there, particularly those in their teens and twenty's. My sister and I are each in our early 30's, and I wrongly thought we'd be the only people under forty there. Even Brian May noted this when he addressed the crowd.

Ok, here's what I remember the boys performing. Now I haven't seen or heard Return of the Champions (which I will most likely purchase after having seen them), so I wasn't sure what to expect. These are not necessarily in the correct order. I didn't check the other setlists either, so...

Tie Your Mother Down (first song definitely)
Fat Bottomed Girls
I Want To Break Free
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Hammer To Fall (very pleased to hear this one)
Dragon Attack (!)
Love Of My Life (this was beautiful. Brian sang it and played it alone)
Radio Ga Ga
Bohemian Rhapsody (this came off pretty well. I honestly didn't think they'd do it. It was essentially done as a "duet" with Freddie,which was nice.)
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions (I thought he was just improvising. It didn't seemed as if he flubbed anything to me. It was the last song.)
The Show Must Go On (Magnificent performance)
Bad Company
All Right Now
Feel Like Makin' Love
Can't Get Enough
I'm In Love With My Car
These Are The Days Of Our Lives (Roger sang very well.)
Take Love (new song, never heard it before,done early in the set)
Under Pressure
Another One Bites The Dust

I think that was it.

There was a also a great extended guitar solo from Brian and a drum solo from Roger.

So my first live Queen experience was a winner I must say. I'm glad that I got to go. I think the song choices suited Paul very well and the band seemed to be having the time of their lives while on stage.
 cougar99
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/31/2006 8:57:17 PM
I will be mr. evil again, as much as they are all wonderful musicians in their own rights....its not Queen.
Someone mentioned how Freddie was flamboynat, well that was one of the things that embodied Queen as we knew them.
If I have the chance yes, I will go see them perform, I saw the original Queen back in 1981 and it was one of the best concerts, I have seen.
But, Queen without Freddie, is like the Rolling Stones with out Mick.
 guitarman100
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/31/2006 9:43:24 PM
cougar99

yes that is a good point.............
unfortunately freddie is dead

so anything else is better than just having Brian May sit at home
 toonsmith
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2006 10:51:32 PM
Very true. Brian should NOT sit at home. I guess I am getting more comfortable with the fact that okay, it's not the original Queen, but they are making a LOT of people very happy and THAT is very cool. I know I was pretty thrilled with seeing Plant & Page years ago. It wasn't Led Zeppelin but it was pretty close to it....and I had the chance to see it.

Brian May has released a few solo outings. But I think he works better when he teams up with others. Paul Rodgers may do some fantastic stuff with him in the studio. These guys are living legends.

Toon
 cougar99
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/31/2006 11:18:02 PM
I think the Page Plant thing was cool, but John Paul Jones was snubbed...just look at any Led Zep album or cd...and see what he contributed..

As far as Brian May sitting at home, the man is a musician, and will play till he can't play...I don't blame him one bit....a musician of his caliber speaks voliumes thru his music, not only with guitar but songwriting also.
But, when Jimmy Page started the Firm, it was called the "Firm"...not the new Led Zep.

Mays guitar playing and his live solos, are amazing...."Brighton Rock", "Dead On Time" and "Let Me Entertain You" are a few that stand out as some songs with outstanding solos.
And I even accepted their use of Synths...lol
Far as I know Roy Thomas Baker, did he even produce any of the new stuff?

I want to hear more out of Brain May and Roger Taylor, but with their abilities they can stand alone on their own merits....in any capacity....and I will see them if I have the chance..as musicians.
 toonsmith
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2006 11:32:21 PM
Roy Thomas Baker, hmm. I am a bit rusty on my trivia, but didn't Queen decide to produce themselves or replace Roy awhile back in their career?

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw Jon Anderson joking about the patented Roy Thomas Baker "Drum" sound that was in everything he produced? The Cars, Foreigner, Queen...

(I think it was in the "Making of Anderson, Buford, Wakeman & Howe" video, where they are sitting in the studio just BS-ing.)

I REALLY like solo Roger Taylor albums. Good stuff.

Toon
 Paulchino II
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/31/2006 11:42:40 PM
never much of a queen fan...I can appreciate what they did...

...and oh geeez...well hum and ha about how it's not the original queen...but sometimes the same old same old gets boring....I'm sure Roger's gives it a welcome new twist anyways....but then again I do like Free much more

....one thing comes to mind...look how many times Robert Fripp re-created King Crimson...every line up was stellar...and that's one thing that makes that band so damn interesting....Crimson's on their 7th line up right now....and I'd give my left...no...BOTH my nuts to see these guys live......

.....ooooops excuse me....this is a Queen/Rodgers thread......
 toonsmith
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2006 12:00:34 AM
Every line up was stellar? Every line-up???

Are you joking man? Dear God, what about the worst line-up in history? Dare I even mention it, it was SO bad!

Paulchino, you usually know a good thing, and King Crimson is a band to be respected... but even THEY have a dark history. I am soooo disappointed.

I gag when I even THINK about it.

The line-up....

Fripp on guitar, Buford on drums, Tiny Tim on vocals, Boxcar Willie on Harmonica, Syd Barret on ...well, anything and everything.

"Larks Tongue in Liza Minnilli's Ear"

Not a best seller and best left forgotten!

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY!

On Topic: I love Queen.

TOON
 OnTheBus
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/1/2006 6:39:58 AM
I have a new appreciation for Paul Rogers after seeing him perform on PBS on the 4 Tops special.
 cougar99
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:19:09 AM
Roy Thomas Baker, the man who produced "Bohemian Rhapsody", worked with Queen on and off after the "Jazz" album.
He even worked with them in 2004 for their "We Will RockYou/Greatest Hits collection.

As much as I think Yes are a group of musical geniuses, they can't even begin to comphrend Bakers contribution to music.

Not only did he produce Queen, he produced the Cars, Foreigner, T-Rex, Nazareth and Journey, producing tracks on the Infinity and Evolution albums/cd's.

And as much as Yes wants to joke about his drum sound....he also produced tracks for them on their "Drama", cd...which along with the Yes Album is one of better works.

What was the name of that PBS special?...would like to see that.
 toonsmith
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2006 12:58:33 PM
It was a VHS video Anderson, Buford Wakeman & Howe that I picked up around the time that the album came out.

In the mists of time, the cassette disappeared. But I remember it had the video of the single they had released at the time. (Might have been Birthright) It had painted aborigines running around?

Part of the tape had a documentary and separate interviews of the band members gathered at some island while recording the album. It was an interesting video.

I managed to catch the following tour and they were great.

Looks like Roy knew everyone. I know at one point members of Yes teamed up with Jimmy Page for the short lived XYZ. (A bootleg exists) I've seen pictures of Jimmy Page attending guitar related functions with Brian May. Now there is a dream team that would blow people away.

Jimmy Page and Brian May. Now that would be an interesting mix. Talk about an army of guitars! I'd like to see a guitar interplay of Achillies Last Stand with those two.

Toon
 cougar99
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/1/2006 1:10:15 PM
Jimmy Page and Brian May together.....I'd kiss Joan Rivers to see them play together(No frenching)....
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/3/2006 6:39:29 AM
Enjoying the thread.......love hearing anout the concert.
I think rodgers is a perfect mix formay/deacon...they have my blessing...lol

Toon.....the video for ABWH was freakin awesome.......some great stuff.....looked like the most awesome time putting that record together.

Toons, video is in the mail on thursday.....let me know when you get it.

Someone mentinoed "Dead on Time" earlier...god i love that tune......anyways..thanks for the great reading peeps......

Well leave it in the lap of the gods..
JCS
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Classic rockers Queen + Paul Rodgers unite and tour.