Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Classic rockers Queen + Paul Rodgers unite and tour.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 toonsmith
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Classic rockers Queen + Paul Rodgers unite and tour.Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
That is fantastic JC, many thanks! I will be made in heaven watching that vid.

I keep coming back to the Jazz album for repeated listenings because it has a lot of depth. Dreamers Ball, Dead on Time, Leaving Home Aint Easy.....lots of good material to listen to.

That guitar riff from More of that Jazz is wicked!

Mustapha had to be one of the weirdest beginning tracks ever. But I like it.

Have you noticed there really aren't many unreleased outtakes from Queen? They pretty much used everything.

Toon
 cougar99
Msg: 77
Classic rockers Queen + Paul Rodgers unite and tour.
Posted: 4/3/2006 4:23:42 PM
I thought Deacon wasn't touring with them....thats cool if he is...
If I am not mistaken, I am pretty sure Roger Taylor played the guitar on "More Of That Jazz"...Good work.

Anyone lucky enough to get the poster, that came with the "Jazz", album...its nice.
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 78
Posted: 4/4/2006 5:51:26 AM
Yes, i got the poster....all at the age of 12....my parents didnt know about it......lol
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/5/2006 11:24:17 AM
ok...toons...mailed it off today...should get it in about 10 days or less

I threw a whole bunch of other stuff on there too
I'm pretty sure after your done watching the tape...youll be queened out...bahahaha
 toonsmith
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2006 2:20:57 PM
Awesome. Can hardly wait.

At least Queen is a band you can come back to again and again for repeated listenings.

I'm listening to "Innuedo" right now and Steve Howe's guest solo is very nice.

I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear stories being swapped at rehearsals with Roger and Paul! Lots of history with those guys. They should write a book.

Toon
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 81
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:03:21 AM
You'll enjoy on the tape, at the end i have smoke on the water........done by chris squire on bass, roger taylor on drums and brian may, dave gilmour, ritchie blackmore, alex lifeson, tony iommi on guitar........also have innuendo on there too..the video....yes steve rocks on it.......some of the notes fredd ie hits on that whole album, while hes dying of aids....is just awesome.......
JCS
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/17/2006 6:07:40 AM
K...toons...fill me in...enjoy anymore?

Anyone seen any other queen and rodgers concerts?
 toonsmith
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2006 3:08:32 PM
I keep watching the first part of the video over and over.

Queen at the Rainbow, in my opinion, is the best video capturing the band at a very creative stage.

My god, I sat dumbfounded at the raw energy, the intensity of the Merc, as the rest of the band called him. I noticed he paid very close attention to the lyrics. It looked like he was living every word right up there on stage. He moved slow and graceful, none of the nervous pacing of the later years. I also noticed the white/black costume, in keeping with the concept of Queen II

The music, most of all, is what blew me away. The absolute ROAR of that guitar...in 1974 no less. In fact, they pretty much re-created the depth of the recordings and jammed in certain spots, which made the music even more interesting for those of us who have heard the recorded songs millions of times!

Queen is a band that grew and developed rapidly. They worked hard and in isolation to perfect their live act for close to two years.

In watching the video and the quick words he had for the audience, you really get the sense that Freddie did everything quickly and that he was the type that quickly grew bored. The man had energy! He had to have someone of the caliber of Brian May on guitar...just to keep up!

To me, the highlight of Queen's career had to be the two classic albums A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races. Both full of experimentation and first rate music. These were albums to go back to time and again. I enjoy all of Queen's work, but these are my personal favorites. They had a certain magic to them.

One thing though, this video just simply ROCKS. It's not a jukebox of greatest hits performed live. It was performed to get you off your feet and rock. That it does quite successfully.

Freddie most certainly changed sometime in 1978. The haircut, the moustache, different moves on stage. I was not fond of the leather S&M look during the Jazz tour. But they continued making great music.

Watching this video was like unearthing a time capsule. 1974....live onstage with Queen in all their glory.

A must see that I highly recommend.

The rest of the tale of the tape....

(I am now up to the part where Taylor sings Radio Ga Ga on the tape. (Great and not a missed note, I may add.)

Thanks Justin

Toon
 toonsmith
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2006 9:24:29 PM
Here is a Brian May update that is rather interesting.....

Queen guitarist: ‘Idol’ misrepresented me
Brian May says show’s editors made his comments seem negative

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12355699/

...at the bottom it mentions that original bassist John Deacon retired from Queen six years ago.

Toon
 toonsmith
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2006 9:36:56 PM
A Great review hot off the press from a performance just a few days ago!

THE VANCOUVER SUN

CLASSIC ARENA ROCK MAKES A COMEBACK
KERRY GOLD
14 April 2006

Paul Rodgers had called it two worlds converging, and he pretty much summed up the concert he presided over last night’s with Queen at the PNE Pacific Coliseum. He appeared under a spotlight at the end of the catwalk, singing Reaching Out a cappella. The curtain fell away, guitarist Brian May appeared and the place exploded with the blistering Tie Your Mother Down.

Rodgers is a super-fit hard body who looks about a decade younger than his 56 years. And he’s got powerful pipes too, handling the Queen repertoire as deftly as his own, such as the swingingly soulful Can’t Get Enough of Your Love.

It was a thrill to see the big presence that is the long, curly haired May, who shared the spotlight with Rodgers almost throughout. May is one of rock ’n’ roll’s greatest guitarists after all, and Rodgers knows what it’s like to work with the best.

As promised, he’s too great a musician to want to attempt an impersonation of Freddie Mercury, who died in 1991.

Unlike the Doors of the 21st Century show that played at the same venue last summer, Queen with Paul Rodgers is not a case of a veteran band needing to replace its frontman with a look-alike that sounds-alike.

Rodgers doesn’t look or sound like Queen’s famous frontman Freddie Mercury, which was just fine with the mixed ages audience. Nobody would have come expecting a straight ahead Queen concert. This version is really a supergroup, a
retrospective combo of Queen and Rodgers’ legendary Bad Company and Free.

Because of Rodgers, May and drummer Roger Taylor’s presence, it was one of those concerts elevated by an air of the momentous occasion, and not only because their tour was drawing to a close. All three are capable of generating immense excitement through sheer rock ’n’ roll legend power alone, and their cachet was palpable. May simply stood out on the catwalk and caused the place to vibrate with adulation.

“We haven’t been here for like 85 years,” he joked. He then paid tribute to Mercury, the first mention of the evening. May sat on a stool and played an acoustic solo version of Love Of My Life, a moment so sweetly touching that it stirred the audience into a singalong against a sea of Bic lighters.

Rodgers raised the roof with a full-on rock out on Feel Like Making Love. Taylor got his own spotlight performance on drums, including a passionately sung I’m In Love With My Car.

Taylor continued on vocal duty for Radio Ga Ga, for which Rodgers returned to the stage and finished the song.

One of the show-stopping moments came near the end of the show, when the band surprised everyone with Under Pressure, on which Taylor and Rodgers traded vocal parts and May spectacularly handled the falsetto. It was worth the price of admission alone, right there. But this turned out to be only the beginning of a spectacular finale. Rodgers continued with The Show Must Go On, the song Mercury never got the chance to perform live. Rodgers was riding this one to the fullest.

He owns that song now, his voice is showcased to perfection on this rock tragedy, which also utilizes the signature Queen backing harmonies. Of course, the most exquisitely touching moment had to be when Mercury made an extended appearance on the video screen for Bohemian Rhapsody — even taking a bow at the song’s end. The sight of a smiling May walking out onto the catwalk with his guitar as he joined his old friend’s voice was, well, to use a tired but accurate cliche, spine-chilling.

That performance brought the entire room to its feet, hands clapping, feet stomping, air thick with dry ice haze and relentless screams. After a brief, incredibly loud pause for an encore, they returned for We Will Rock You, Free hit All Right Now and We Are the Champions.

So great was the shared feeling for the power of musically pure, tastefully revisited old rock ’n’ roll, that it may go down in history as the night that arena rock officially made its comeback. At least for those of us who didn’t experience it the first time around.
 DiamondDave151
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2006 10:05:17 PM
Yep. I was there. That about covers it.
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 87
Posted: 4/18/2006 7:49:56 AM
Thanks toons.....great reviews
Cheers
JCS
 Zayne
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2006 3:37:04 PM
That review could not have said it better...
I have been a huge fan of Queen since I was a kid,
and also have Paul Rodgers on my favorite rock vocalist list!
best point in that review ---> "Queen with Paul Rodgers is not
a case of a veteran band needing to replace its frontman with
a look-alike that sounds-alike." people who expected Freddie would
have been surely dissappointed, I expected a show and got it!
Backstage the stagehands and roadies were asked to stand to the
left of the Vomitorium to keep the path clear for the bands walk off,
The band leaves the stage and as they pass the stagehands a rouse
of applause erupts from the gathered troops that will soon tear down the stage!
Paul slows down to acknowledge his hometown friends and fans...
But Brian May stops and smiles at the accolades backstage and applaudes
the stagehands both for their appreciation and their efforts!
(My thought and observation) Local and Road crew applauding a band is a
Very rare occurrence... So I was suprised, But not really after seeing the show.
Hats off to a great show... to Performers and great crews that make it happen,
And of course to Fans who support LIVE music --->
 Moonlit
Msg: 89
Posted: 4/27/2006 4:30:51 PM
I saw them in Toronto in March...It was SO good !!!!
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/12/2006 2:16:56 PM
I must say...i just watched the dvd...and for a fan like i....it was special..........some things sure i might have changed, but the overall show was at the very least a 8 out of 10 for a fan like i.......

It so made my day...
Cheers
JCS

Long live rock and roll

P.S I should add that "Feel like making love" Rocked and i miss queen, but god bless them for making my day....

Also i could add i could keep rambling, but i wont.........but hammer to fall rocked...and....well ok ill stop....bahaha
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/12/2006 3:08:07 PM
Ok i wont ramble anymore....but i have to say...Paul Rogers rocks..........**** at his age he rocks big time........rock on....

Only toons will know what im saying here, but paul couldnt convince me of orge battle and so forth...but doing the queen hits.......rock da F_U_C_K on.......god bless ya........

OK, ill stop and leave this thread to die unless of course anyone else feels as passionate about it and wants to add

( i must apoligize but for one night i was brought back to my youth...so bare with me and give me a bit of slack)
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/12/2006 9:08:11 PM
I have to add cause my time run out...so if you guys dis me for being repetetive, remember the thread.........sometimes someone has to be....J/k

that he was the type that quickly grew bored.

So right on the mark toons...i find it in myself.......im not who he was and i have no plans on being such........but our attention span in creativity is very similar.......rock on...the bigger the better in everything
 toonsmith
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2006 10:09:33 PM
That DVD is on my list to buy next payday! I've seen it at the store, but opted to get "The making of Night at the Opera" DVD instead. Very cool DVD!

I imagine the Bad Company tunes really rock. I agree. I can't see Paul Rodgers covering some of the older Queen material.

But it would be humorous to hear him attempt "Mustapha" from the Jazz album....and then hear him say...just kidding!

Ah, but to hear Paul Rodgers do "White Man" from "Day at the Races" and "Put Out The Fire" from "Hot Space" would be cool!

The sky is the limit as far as what these legends can do in the studio. Brian May shines when he has a great singer who can push him.

Check out the remastered Live at Wembly DVD. Two discs and the bonus stuff is fantastic for diehard Queen fans. Lots of backstage footage and new interviews. I guess Live at Wembly - The Magic Tour, was the next to last concert performed with Freddie. The last being Knebworth.

Toon
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/12/2006 10:41:51 PM
Honestly when i watch him do this concert toons...its like.........he has a hard time undrestanding the songs (paul rodgers).....regardless though, he strives on and enjoys the show....dont get me wrong im enjoying the show, but i read into ones mind........and even though hes enjoyin the show, you have to have a reason sometimes to sing songs.......all that aside...i so appreciate your comments cause i know you know......and for me that means everything........i cant live in the past, but boy can i live in the present.........i missed "the making of a night of the opera" with freds input..........but that aside, you listen to the harmonies and the tracks that were recorded by brian or whatever...truly it was ahead of its time and should be appreciated for what it is..........i so appreciated it and hope that anyone that wants to appreciate it does........its hard to repeat certain things...and queen will never be duplicated........so why not appreciate uniqueness

( I should add for anyone else reading...toonsmith is the only guy i went out of my way to send something to.......although miles away and 20 bucks later...i knew he would appreciate it....and im so happy it got to his hands and for whatever moment he had, i'm sure there was a moment he sat there with a jaw wide open saying....f-u-c-k i didnt realize how good they were at there peak....so rock on toons....bahahaha)
 NEman2
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/16/2006 11:08:21 PM
I like Rogers singing but its just not Queen anymore...........
 virginia gentleman
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/17/2006 7:18:39 AM
Rogers couldn't hold Freddy's jockstrap..er.......his thong........er his assless chaps.........um........well you know what I mean. It's not Queen.
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/17/2006 11:38:55 AM
I'm a big freddie guy...i loved his voice and i admired his stage presence and so forth....but man you can't crap on this guy........paul really does rock and what a professional job he did with the whole tour.....

I can only hope some studio work comes out of all this.......
 toonsmith
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2006 11:55:34 AM
One question.

Does Paul Rodgers from "Bad Company" sing "Good Company" from Night at the Opera by Queen?

Toon
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 99
Posted: 7/17/2006 12:15:24 PM
hehe....toons is always on the mark......

Ill tell you this though toons, if i havent said it yet, which i probably have......but ive never seen a man enjoy performing with this show as much as paul rodgers does.......the smile doesnt leave his face once...he looks like a kid in a candy store.....hes in awes of the spectacle hes in.......buy the dvd toons, well worth the listen....im on my 12th listen....bahahaha
 virginia gentleman
Msg: 100
Posted: 7/17/2006 12:17:43 PM
justin,

didn't mean to "crap" on Rodgers....just think he is nowhere near the voclaist Freddy was. Much of Queen's vocals require the incredible range Freddy had. Rodgers, while a strong vocalist, didn't have Mercury's range when he was 21, much less 51.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Classic rockers Queen + Paul Rodgers unite and tour.