Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Quebec  > What's up with Montreal men?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TheFruit
Msg: 51
What's up with Montreal men?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Montreal men? ..........what is it?
 rickyshot
Msg: 52
What's up with Montreal men?
Posted: 5/18/2007 8:33:47 AM
Y'all don't want to hear what i have to say. I have been in this city for 16 years. I have lived in five cities in the US. Without a doubt Montreal has the ugliest, driest men in the planet. And the culture here is very unfriendly on both sides. I got two more years to retire and then I am out.........My experiences here have only been negative hands down. Everytime an interesting person mails me he is from the good ole USA or another province.
 chrisbcs
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/18/2007 8:54:28 AM
"Without a doubt Montreal has the ugliest, driest men in the planet."

I think this is slightly extreme. I do notice that every time I go to Montreal and wander away from friends, I have a hard time finding people that speak either English or French. It seems like everyone there is from some corner of the earth. Worse than NYC.

The city is certainly a little dirty and ugly too. The roads compared to Quebec and Toronto are horrible and the whole city is just old looking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_City

With the collapse of Ste Foy, Quebec City is at almost 1 million population now. I fear what will happen if more people come here. The language barrier with French that we have here keeps a lot of people away though, so we'll see. I grew up speaking French Canadian, even when I lived in the US, so I never had any huge problems.

I lived in the US for about half my life, and I must say that generally people are no better there in the city. If you compare the US to Quebec, compare like NYC to Montreal and not suburban Connecticut or something. The countryside and smaller cities will always be far nicer than a big city.
 WordWizard
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/19/2007 12:10:36 PM
It's frustrating to see all men on this site tarred and feathered as "players" by some of the less enlightened women on this site. As a Montreal man, I've been "played" more than once on this site by women on POF. When I cut off contact with those who played me, their subsequent attempts to contact me have been met with derision, disbelief, or, incredibly enough, total lack of awareness of what they had done wrong.

An unfortunate side-effect of the lopsided male/female ratio is that some of those women who receive the most emails have succumb to hubris. This hubris is manifested by their fickleness with some profiles. I remember reading one profile where a woman openly admitted to enjoy the fact that she had so much choice, and could date one guy, get bored with him, and move onto the next. Considering most women at least claim to want a relationship, this is a rare frank admission.

I've chatted with quite a few nice women on here. Admittedly, most of them were either not looking for a relationship or had already met someone. That didn't mean that chatting with them wasn't worthwhile.

Still, using this site is frustrating for mainly two reasons:

1) The lack of women who will respond to my well-intentioned and polite approaches.
2) The ad hominem accusations that as a man on a personals site, I'm merely out to get sex, and that I do so by actively misleading women to think that I'm really looking for a relationship.

The reality of 1) and the accusations before 2) are in sharp contrast to each other, which makes the whole situation that much more frustrating. If 1) is true (which is is), then 2) must be false, especially given the low success rate for all well-intentioned men on this site.

However, I have to also acknowledge the fact that there's a lot of noise on this site. By noise, I mean the opposite of signal. Those making a serious attempt to meet a worthwhile woman like me (the signal) are drowned out by those making pathetic and transparent attempts to get quick sex (the noise).

I would advise those women who get frustrated with the noise not to give up hope that they'll cut through the noise to get to the signal. I'd advise them not to lash out with accusations that "all men are scum". I'd also advise them not to let the fact that they get so many messages get to their heads, and to understand that among all the messages they get, that a relatively low proportion are genuinely interested in them, as opposed to wanting to hook up with just about anybody.
 dave1234
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2007 12:50:41 PM
(Msg 59) Without a doubt Montreal has the ugliest, driest men in the planet. And the culture here is very unfriendly on both sides. I got two more years to retire and then I am out.........My experiences here have only been negative hands down.

OUCH! Sounds like a cry for help. What is the common denominator in all your experiences? (Hint! Hint!)

After living in Toronto and Vancouver for many years the women in Montreal can not be beat. I've always had a good time meeting people and I assume they felt the same way as they've either met with me again or expressed interest in doing so.

I recommend going to one of the POF meets. They occasionally host them in our area (I'm next door in Pierrefonds). Check out http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts3620389.aspx

EDIT: When:
Sunday, May 20, 2007, 12:45 PM
Where:
Lachine Tennis Club
1500 Rue Remembrance Cross-Street 16th Ave
Lachine , Qu h8t 2n4
514-366-8600

Here's another one.
What: 'Rock & Roll Party" at The Firm W.I.
When: Sunday, May 20 at 7:00PM
Who: At least 2 Singles 35 plus
Where: The Firm
2362 Hymus Dorval
Dorval QC H9S 1H4

You can thank me tomorrow. :-)
 dusty59
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/20/2007 10:26:09 AM
Experienced....

I'm still waiting for my private lesson

on how to quote someone of course

Dusty
 dave1234
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2007 12:14:59 PM

(Msg 63) Just wondering. What's your point in asking readers to check out a link to a outdated thread who's last post was in 2006?

Oops. I got the threads/messages mixed up.

have these 'events' been posted in another thread or did you just decide to throw these together on the 'spur-of-the-moment', no more than a day before the 'supposed' events?

I'm a member of a meet-up group and I received an email thinking it was from POF. Those parties I mentioned are legitimate.

What I'm saying is I don't quite get your way of doing things. And I don't see the connection to the thread Topic "What's up with Montreal men?". Can we say "HIJACK"?

I'm suggesting places the OP can meet Montreal men. Obviously she's not meeting the type she likes.

After your reading your post, I wouldn't at all blame women for asking themselves, "What's up with Montreal men, Dave1234 included?".

Hey, I'm just trying to help.
 lorie1
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/24/2007 12:17:53 PM
I read all the posts, and everywhere someone placed"Montreal" i could write in "Toronto", from what I have experienced.
I've been to several POF meet ups,I liked what happened for me, which was everything and nothing...I left, each meet up, alone,but liking myself even more for who I am.
I didn;t get a chance to learn about another pof member-too many drink too much,maybe it's a city thing. I began thinking that bars are not a place to meet someone, just a place to lose or find yourself.
I took myself home after the 4 times I went out.people are people,no matter what city they are in.I moved from Toronto,and I don't label myself as "torontonian".I live in Montreal now.i am just a single person on a dating site,same as most of us here.
 mystique-elle
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/27/2007 7:20:12 PM
Finding the right man here... oh oh ... got a quote for that..You will find a partial part of that in my interests..

*There are easier things in life than finding a good man.. Like Nailing Jello to a Tree*... works both ways.. men and for women... it does not have a preference...

Peace My People... Fish in total harmony
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/28/2007 9:30:31 AM

Why is it that people judge the whole based on their experiences with one or two.

It's a habit of the none too bright.. what can I tell ya beyond that.
 WordWizard
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/28/2007 5:06:16 PM

Why is it that people judge the whole based on their experiences with one or two.

It's a habit of the none too bright.. what can I tell ya beyond that.

Putting things into their proper perspective requires a lot of mental effort. Making generalizations based on little experience with the opposite sex leading to crass prejudices is much easier!

El_Mariachi
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/28/2007 5:09:20 PM
Crass prejudices must be wicked fun since they're indulged in so much on the forums.
 tooyoung
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2007 1:09:55 PM
Montreal men?
Do you mean men that live in Montreal,
or those that are born here?
It depends on you,do you want French or English.
Immigrants I don't think should be considered as Montreal men.
Most of those born here(English) move on to more lucrative places,
Only the true diehards stay, for the Winter of course!
Also Montreal is a unique, cosmopolitan city that seems to
attract men from all over the world(for our women).
You must have met a foreigner claiming to be from Montreal.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 64
Posted: 6/6/2007 1:18:54 PM

I got two more years to retire and then I am out.........My experiences here have only been negative hands down.

Let us know when that 2 years is up so we can give you a proper goodbye.

VenusOcean
Msg: 65
Posted: 6/8/2007 7:20:04 PM
I love Montreal men!

Well...I may be partial to them...since I'm from there.

But the city is like any other places...there's good ones and bad ones everywhere.

Depends on your attitude towards men in general. Got to weed out the bad ones!
 WordWizard
Msg: 66
Posted: 6/8/2007 9:32:58 PM
As a Montreal man, I can say that I'm absolutely fabulous, and that all eligible women should contact me immediately

Maestrom
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/12/2007 10:05:04 PM
I think Word Wizard has said what had to be said..

I may be merely repeating anything already said or saying something new but here it goes..

On any dating/friendship/relationship website you will ever go on, you will always get a sh*tload of people who will say/give anything so that they can get what they want.. Evidently on this site, most people want is one-nighters..

Personally, i'm looking for something more and I find it really frustrating to see that all the women who do seem interesting to me basically flip me off or never reply due to their "incredible" amount of messages.. Yes most the men in MTL/Cornwall/everywhere are looking to get into your pants(ladies)... But it sucks that we, as Word Wizard said, the 10% gets thrown into that lot for no valid reasons... Some of us are nice and we deserve to be heard..

You don't want to, that's fine by me, no biggie.. But stop placing everyone into the same basket!!! You'll find that there are actually more than one mold that you can fit us into.

P.S. It's late, i'm tired, sorry if I didn't make much sense.
 fegarius
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/13/2007 7:25:05 AM
There are plenty of men looking for serious relationships, most of the good ones are the ones who do not seek out women cause they usually have women chasing them down... Seems to me that if a woman wants to find the perfect man she needs to be more assertive and hunt down the guy she wants. The "players" are the ones who tend to chase women, and are "pushy" . Good guys ask once and is the answer is "no" move on. Good Luck!
 Maestrom
Msg: 69
Posted: 6/13/2007 3:17:58 PM
you're right fegarius, and that's the thing.. women base themselves on the e-mails they receive and not their actual search. Afterwards they say that all men are pervs who are just looking for one thing..
 WordWizard
Msg: 70
Posted: 6/13/2007 4:31:16 PM

you're right fegarius, and that's the thing.. women base themselves on the e-mails they receive and not their actual search. Afterwards they say that all men are pervs who are just looking for one thing..

Anybody who expects to find a meaningful relationship on here without having to sort through *a lot* of garbage is kidding themselves. Well-meaning men and women on this site have to put up with a lot of crap.

In order to make a genuine and clear-headed attempt to find the right person, those men and women should have thick skins and put things into their proper perspective. Once you succumb to anger, fear and the generalizations they bring, then you've already lost the battle, because a good person who knows what they want isn't going to put up with you.
 VenusOcean
Msg: 71
Posted: 6/13/2007 4:48:27 PM
^^^ WordWizard: Oh so wise! Very well said indeed.... Bravo my friend.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/13/2007 7:02:58 PM

Well-meaning men and women on this site have to put up with a lot of crap.

I am the crap they have to put up with

I kid.

Once you realize that maybe 1/4 of the people here are genuine, you start to feel less like a tool for trying.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2007 9:16:09 AM
I have had the opposite experience. I never lived in five U.S. cities, but I lived in North Texas. I thought the women in Montreal and Quebec, in general, where much more approachable and there were more educated women out there I could have a conversation with. Many men in Montreal speak three languages, hail from different cultures, traditions. I think the women in Montreal are quite nice. I made many great friends in Montreal, so I would venture to say there are great guys in Montreal. I really don't think people in Toronto are necessarily friendlier or better. Now if Montreal had a more vibrant economy and more of an urban rival it would be a much better place. As far as Canadians from other places being down to Earth that might be true in parts of British Columbia, Newfoundland, PEI... I don't think Montrealers are so unfriendly as you portrayed.
 citizenoftheworld
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2007 12:22:41 PM
Its funny to me... This thread is two years old and going strong! :P

~~~~

Its hard to really say anything after WordWizard though... I think he said it best.
 SCATTERBRAIN
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/6/2007 1:18:08 PM
I keep hearing that all men are players, could someone explain to me what a player is, I assume it is a guy who cheats and is not serious, or just wants to get laid, maybe I haven’t been around much, Am I wrong or is there more to a player?
Show ALL Forums  > Quebec  > What's up with Montreal men?