Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 susndeca
Msg: 451
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?Page 19 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
North Exposed - said- "So its not the ideology that you speak if that we dont like... its the ones like yours that says just because YOU live one way with rules in your life and geographic area, that EVERYONE should follow."
---Somehow you seriously misinterpreted. The status quo for any geographical area should be respected when a person lives or visits there. To ignore it would be disrespectful and it's something American's have been bashed for when we travel all over the world.

North Exposed - said- "If you feel the need to spew off about Canada or Canadian women, you should possibly learn the laws of our country, thus way you dont look like an ass."
--- Did you actually read what I typed? I put them in the same boat with an American ideology. Having the idea *I'll do what I want, when I want and wherever I want regardless of society* is something we American's are ridiculed for and it appears a couple of posters seem to have that same ideology.

North Exposed - said- "Go lobby your state to put breast feeding women in jail who slip a nipple... but in Canada ... and many other parts of the world ... its not gonna happen, nor will it ever change."
--- I have other topics I'm passionate about to lobby. Although, you're welcome to lobby my state if you'd like. Lactivists (breastfeeding activists gave themselves this nickname) have lobbied and gotten a few things changed but exposing a nipple directly in public isn’t one of them. I just want the laws followed until such changes are made in the law.

Treemanbdj?
- I’m disappointed you didn’t post the legislation that gave breastfeeding mother’s immunity to the *felony charges* you posted. If you Google it a little more I’m sure you’ll learn that although they have immunity from felony charges they can still be charged with misdemeanor counts if the nipple/areole is exposed in public view.

-Do I think my state is right with all our morality based laws? No I don’t. Even our strip clubs where a person must be 21 years old do not allow nudity. Pasties or lipstick must cover nipples and g-strings are required to cover the her genitals.

- For those too ignorant to understand my point let me make it simplistic where even they can understand. Not every society shares your personal values. If your society says something is acceptable then so be it. If you visit a society that disagrees then please respect their differences... None of us have the right to impose our own beliefs on another society. Presently legislation in my state doesn't allow for the nipple to be exposed. That may soon change. Even if it does I hope women are considerate of other people's children and do their best to keep it covered for at least 6 or 7 more years. I don't like making drastic changes where children are concerned. Maybe, with luck, there will be no laws preventing women from going topless everywhere but I hope that changes slowly (not quickly) in a society that's been so prude for so long.
 sweetnessbbw
Msg: 452
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?
Posted: 2/11/2007 8:59:00 AM
the best start to life is feeding your babies breast milk.. if a mother needs to feed her child then let her dont be uncomfortable and explain to your children if they see it whats going on! what is this world coming too when something so natural as feeding a child can become against the law . i know youll say its not the act of feeding thats against the law but the exposure to others still crazy!!! get a grip people!
 treemanbdj
Msg: 453
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2007 9:26:13 AM

Treemanbdj?
- I’m disappointed you didn’t post the legislation that gave breastfeeding mother’s immunity to the *felony charges* you posted. If you Google it a little more I’m sure you’ll learn that although they have immunity from felony charges they can still be charged with misdemeanor counts if the nipple/areole is exposed in public view.

Again I fine example of Ok taxpayers money spent while politicians are spinning their wheels.

Why waste time drafting a law when ONE is pretty clear already on the books as a legal statue.

Oh holyone....please do give us a link....T.Y.

It's crystal clear that the indecent exposure laws in your state clearly don't apply to breastfeeding in pubic as I posted the Statue in message 449.

That's why Sus, my googleing fish you can't cite such a case where a women was convicted on such by the mere act of feeding her child in public Maybe you could Shepardize it.....LMAO@U

As one on your soap box of "For the children speech" Blahhahahaha.....I'd truly put the bucket of stones down from that translucent/silicate house you live in, and the weekend that you might have jr..just pull the shades...

As for the spurious arguement of strip clubs covering up a nipple in comparison to breastfeeding.....

You might make an easier grasp at the moon for a slice of cheese to go with that bolonga sandwhich your trying to feed us.

Plain and simple an adult club with strippers are purely an enterprize based soley on profiteering on LEWD entertainment as rebuttal for feeding an infant?????? (((incert smile icon with fishing waders here))))

The covering of nipples is probable the LAST catch-all snuck in by lobbist to circumvent zoning laws.... Come on any pseudo-counsel of your likes can see that.

Again as in message 449, I bring to your end of the debate the showing of "indecent exposure" application , and not a kaleidoscope of fecal blather repetively taking up bit space in this thread.

If you can't I might just say message 450 is right on the point of matters( pun intended)

B
D
J
 treemanbdj
Msg: 454
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2007 9:40:39 AM
Here Sus... It's perfectly legal to breast feed in all 50 states in public.

http://www.007b.com/breastfeeding_public.php

That's not enough???? Here try this link. You will see in the first paragraph that says

states have laws with language specifically allowing women to breastfeed in any public or private location

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm

Yep, if you haven't guessed it...Oklahoma is on the list..

B
D
J

Post Edit: Ooopps!! Here you go Sus!! House Bill 2102 from the State of Oklahoma...stating breastfeeding is NOT a crime... Of course I already infered that from the criminal Title 21 of your state...ROFL....But here is the link anyway,,, Maybe these 3 links will have you off to other threads as a dog chasing a parked car...LOL

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/Bills31c.html
 susndeca
Msg: 455
Posted: 2/11/2007 10:01:36 AM
treemanbdj

-I pointed out my state does have laws allowing for breastfeeding in public and I pointed out it gave immunity to felonies but not misdemeanors. The new laws allow for breastfeeding in public but not the nipple in plain view. My state and many others have several laws that have never been prosecuted as a felony. My state has laws against oral sex and another for spitting on a sidewalk but neither has been prosecuted.

-I am not a proponent of one culture forcing their own beliefs on another by acting rebellious. Lobby and legislate if you will but please be courteous to the status quo when in their areas. My preference not wanting a sudden change where my son is concerned isn't a novel idea I came up with alone. It's something that's been preached for years regarding children. I prefer a slow change which will ultimately change society (my states society) to think it's not a big deal.
 treemanbdj
Msg: 456
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2007 10:04:53 AM
Ah Yes.....Sus...

Another.."For the children speech"

Dare I not look at criminal, and school stats in O.C. Ok??

Better yet, put a lock on the new plasma tv and cox cable ya got..

Wouldn't want Jr watching that..

Oh he11 FREE public tv...has more lewd activity then Jr will ever EVER need.

The new laws allow for breastfeeding in public but not the nipple in plain view.

As in ROME.....Link please....T.Y.

B
D
J
 susndeca
Msg: 457
Posted: 2/11/2007 10:46:51 AM
You seem to have missed my post and point of view some time ago. Had my son been raised in an environment breasts were on public TV commercials, women breastfeeding everywhere and seeing the nipple wasn't any big deal I wouldn't have a problem with it. Due to the society he was raised I don't want him subjected to such a change over night. A change in society is needed over a period of several years.

Think of it much the same way as getting certain Arab societies to relax girls having their faces covered... A slow change rather than an immediate one.
 susndeca
Msg: 458
Posted: 2/11/2007 10:46:59 AM
double posted by accident
 Ciao_Baby
Msg: 459
Posted: 2/11/2007 2:02:28 PM
I believe that society makes WAY TOO BIG AN ISSUE of this. Breastfeeding is a totally natural thing and years and years ago there was NO formula to give babies. It is the MOST healthy and THE MOST natural food for the baby. We are all creatures of the earth. When we go to the mountains or the farm and we see a "cow and her calf" or "bear and her cubs" or a "doe and her calf" we don't seem to have a problem with any of them sucking mom's tits - so why the problem with our own kids? This is just pathetic! I SAY DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THE KID/BABY and FORGET ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK!!
 RollerGrrrl
Msg: 460
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2007 7:13:07 PM
susndeca! i just read your profile...did i read that right? your son is thirteen & you are worried about him seeing a woman breastfeeding??

wow.
 TrainFanatic
Msg: 461
Posted: 2/11/2007 7:38:40 PM
I'm not against breast feeding. I breast fed my third born (could not the first two for different reasons) and wish I could have done my last born more than his father allowed (he would feed him right before I got off work, then put him down for the night, so only got to nurse in the mornings). I think breastfeeding is great for the baby!

However, I'm NOT for just whipping it out in public! Please, be descrete! Sex is natural too (and how most of the breast and bottle fed babies got their start!) but that doesn't mean I would approve of people having sex in public!

Just cover up, go to a women's lounge, whatever...but please be considerate of us with pre-teen boys/teen boys who don't differentiate between the natural act of breast feeding for nurishment and getting a hot view of a sexual organ of the female kind!
 North Exposed
Msg: 462
Posted: 2/11/2007 8:23:44 PM
"Lobby and legislate if you will but please be courteous to the status quo when in their areas"

Just a thought .... but havent women been breast feeding in public longer than youve been a parent ?

Im still curious as to why, since you said your son has been brought up in society etc that views breasts as a sexual object... and women arent going to cease breast feeding, why you wouldnt correct his line of thinking on this.... unless you too feel that they are sexual and not the intended purpose
 Smjle
Msg: 463
Posted: 2/11/2007 10:14:48 PM

I live in a state that is pretty compliant with mother's breastfeeding their babies in public but i know there are some states totally against it.

I also have a friend who believes breastfeeding is wrong because breasts are sexual organs...
Obviously, some states agree with her.

First states don't agree or disagree with anything--people do and no politician is going to propose a law against breast feeding a baby. Women that breast feed always do it as modestly and discreetly as possible so they are not putting themselves on display. You cannot please everyone but humans have been breast feeding babies for millions of years so it’s certainly normal.
 stormee-d
Msg: 464
Posted: 2/12/2007 9:22:42 AM
I approve ... and did so myself when I had to (discreetly, or course).

I have never thought of it as offensive when anyone else has either.

A baby's gotta eat, and if anyone is offended by it ... they should just look the other way!!
 Lookingforlove25
Msg: 465
Posted: 2/12/2007 3:17:48 PM
Breast feeding in public is totally natural and should be not frowned upon!!Breasts are totally there for milk usage!! Thats what god made us woman for and thats what we should all do! Most people that aren't comfortable with breastfeeding in public are the ones that are usually jealous cause they could not breastfeed thier own children!Or they don't have children and don't understand what a beautiful thing it really is!! It is a major bond between yourself and your child!So i totally approve of it! Hey i have three kids and i breastfed them all in public! I didn't give a shit what people thought!
 Syreen
Msg: 466
Posted: 2/12/2007 6:08:42 PM
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding
According to the AAP, "Human milk is species-specific, and all substitute feeding preparations differ markedly from it, making human milk uniquely superior for infant feeding. Exclusive breastfeeding is the reference or normative model against which all alternative feeding methods must be measured with regard to growth, health, development, and all other short- and long-term outcomes. In addition, human milk-fed premature infants receive significant benefits with respect to host protection and improved developmental outcomes compared with formula-fed premature infants… Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection. Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child."

A.A.P. Breastfeeding Policy Statement: Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk Pediatrics Vol. 115 No. 2 February 2005
Msg: 467
Posted: 2/13/2007 9:00:57 PM
You can't possibly be serious!!! If you are, you are sooooo behind the times...Any and every Pediatrician in the world will tell you straight up and without hesitation that breast milk is by far and away the most superior form of nutrition for our Little Ones...and as a good parent would you not want what was best for your Children...I mean, come on.....COME ON....lol. Nature is perfect and breast feeding is perfectly natural. If a person is hungry then they eat....babies are born with an innate ability to suckle---because they will suckle onto a breast to FEED!...when They are HUNGRY! It is not about society's right (dubious) to not be exposed to this; but rather about the Infants RIGHT to eat!
 limpagain
Msg: 468
Posted: 2/14/2007 1:24:20 PM
I hope I don't add to anything about this subject that may cause it to bore some of you... but, Eternal here is onto something very important... Now bare with me just a moment. Ill try and spell this out in a readers digest sort of way so as to not loose any of your interest in the subject.. Ok, all of the things which the AAP explains regarding the benefits of breastmilk is now being better understood through more research. There is a company who for the past 13 years has done specific research in this area and they have discovered that Human Breast Milk contains specific molecules of essential sugars that is only found in breast milk. There are 8 of these sugars, two of which we can find fairly abundantly in our food sources. They are Glucose and Galactose. But the other essential 6 sugars are not found in our food because of processing, early picking habits and our soils are depleated with vital nutrients. These sugars they found are essential to every cell in your body and their main function is with cell to cell communication. If the cells in our bodies cannot communicate one with another efficiently, then everything in our bodies are suseptable to disfunction. The best example of this is our Immune System which relys heavily on communication in order to detect foreign invaders and then produce immune cells that protect us from these foreign invaders like viruses, chemicals, and even our own cells which have gone crazy (ie.. cancer, and all of the autoimmune diseases we see today). Have you noticed that even with all of the billions of dollars spent on cancer research today, cancer is still on the rise. Thats because they're looking in the wrong places for the right answer. For those of you who have endured this reading I thank you......... Just email me if your curious about more info..
 7rainbows
Msg: 469
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2007 1:33:04 PM
I did when i had my babies, they were both fed naturally for the first 6 months of their lives and if i needed to feed them in public place then i would. I dont see a problem with it at all. Its the most natural thing.
 whitestarmama
Msg: 470
Posted: 2/14/2007 4:14:27 PM

For those of you who have endured this reading I thank you......... Just email me if your curious about more info..

well i would have, except you're not accepting msgs from canadians ;) i'd love to know more, read the studies, etc.
 Smjle
Msg: 471
Posted: 2/15/2007 5:16:16 AM
i'd love to know more, read the studies, etc.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6356827.stm for an article on a sixty-year study that supports the existing body of knowledge that breastfeeding results in better outcomes for babies.
 ontario_woman
Msg: 472
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2007 5:20:53 AM
The only problem I have with women breastfeeding their child in public is that it brings back bitter-sweet memories of me breastfeeding my little girl. (sniff) They grow up so fast.
 Wooyay
Msg: 473
Posted: 2/15/2007 2:21:10 PM
Wow how many pages?!

I'm a bit perplexed as to what all the fuss is about (p'raps down to my not reading the prior 19 pages). I breastfed all three of mine, in public, on the bus, out shopping, in cafe's etc and it was only the first two or three weeks where feeding was awkward and 'fumbly', at which times I used nursing areas. Once I got the hang of wearing tops instead of dresses it didn't take two seconds to pop the babies on and let them have their feed - and with no one the wiser, my top covered half and the baby covered the rest. Where's the fuss coming from?

Have to admit I miss feeding, my boobs still ache when I hold a newborn and there's nothing quite like that first ever milky smile :) No more for me though, happier borrowing the babes and handing them back
 Remabe6836
Msg: 474
Posted: 2/16/2007 4:10:46 PM
Wow I am flabberghasted that this is even a debate!

I do breastfeed in public, and while I do try to be as discreet as possible no I do not always put a blanket over me...my daughter hates having anything covering her face. I generally just pull up my shirt and she latches right away and then the top of my boob is covered by my shirt and the rest by her head. Sure you might be able to catch a quick glimpse of the girls but hey, if you do consider yourself lucky I have great boobs I am not doing it as a political statement, I am ((gasp)) feeding my child, and the law protects my right to do so wherever and whenever I need to. But hey, if it really offends you feel free to put a towel over your face
 justme1202
Msg: 475
Posted: 2/16/2007 4:22:59 PM
its noit about it being a debate its about WETHER YOU APPROVE OR NOT? You do or you dont. To each his own right?
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?