Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Remabe6836
Msg: 476
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?Page 20 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Uh yeah I guess to each his own...I just don't get how you could NOT approve of something as natural as breastfeeding, in public or otherwise.
 rustmouse
Msg: 477
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?
Posted: 2/16/2007 5:01:57 PM
I'm not quite sure why this is a debate, either. A bit of concern for different people's sensibilities is courtesy, and I'm pretty sure that in the middle of a business meeting isn't the right time to start feeding, but I don't see anything wrong or offensive about it at all...
 Syreen
Msg: 478
Posted: 2/16/2007 5:12:14 PM
?? I fed my child in the middle of a business meeting. nobody minded.
 PickyProfessional
Msg: 479
Posted: 2/16/2007 9:38:06 PM
to msg 1: whther breasts are utlitarian or sexual, it's just not in good taste in society as it currently is. come on, you know that. give it another 100 years...
 Syreen
Msg: 480
Posted: 2/17/2007 5:02:24 PM
it doesn't really matter whether you feel it's in good taste or not. what matters is what's best for babies. and that's breastfeeding. the more women feed their babies whereever they happen to be hungry the more it will seem a cultural norm.

The American Dietetic Association promotes breastfeeding

The ADA also believes that "the bonding that occurs during breastfeeding makes it a special choice." The ADA actively promotes breastfeeding, stating that "It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that broad-based efforts are needed to break the barriers to breastfeeding initiation and duration. Exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and breastfeeding with complementary foods for at least 12 months is the ideal feeding pattern for infants. Increases in initiation and duration are needed to realize the health, nutritional, immunological, psychological, economical, and environmental benefits of breastfeeding."
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 481
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2007 7:47:29 PM
There are a lot of things that are good for babies.

For instance, they should be changed pretty much as soon as they poop. But I don't want you doing it right near where I'm eating.

There are a lot of functions that are natural. Urination, sex and the abovementioned ´╗┐defecation. Just because it's natural doesn't mean we all want to see it.

Syreen
Msg: 482
Posted: 2/18/2007 8:07:09 PM
i can't believe you're equating defecation with eating. what did YOU have for lunch today?
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 483
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2007 9:03:18 PM
^^^^ I had salmon with capers, onions, caviar and a glass of wine. I only eat in upscale restaurants where there should either be NO children, or children on their best behavior. The places I go are NOT kid friendly, have no height chairs, changing stations, etc.

I go out to relax. So I avoid places that are going to be populated by screaming kids. Hopefully that includes babies and breastfeeding mothers.

I agree that breastfeeding babies is healthier than bottle feeding them. Just do it where others don't have to watch. I don't find breastfeeding sexual. It's just unpleasant to watch, like watching someone change a diaper. Not my thing.

Now if I'm having lunch in ChuckECheese (fat chance), all bets are off. That's kid territory. If they want to scream, throw food, nurse from every lactating boob in the place . . . that's fine with me.

justme1202
Msg: 484
Posted: 2/19/2007 5:11:57 AM
Wow can u ever tell the woman who have children and the woman who do by what they say in this thread.

As for anyone on here saying the dont want to see it to bad for you cause if baby is hungry the boob is coming out so be a little bit more mature a boob is a boob like it or not. Its not there for you to look at.
 theys_hvit65
Msg: 485
Posted: 2/19/2007 10:50:40 AM
I highly approve of breastfeeding and breastfeeding discreetly in public. Just don't go topless!!I grew up with my mom breastfeeding other siblings and she covered herself.

I've worked with some women who where basically topless in public while breastfeeding....and at my desk when I was counseling them I've see it in waiting rooms with children and other families present. One ignores it.

But I have to say I've seen women breastfeed just for the sake of exposing their breasts, lol!! Baby clearly was not hungry, LOL!!

No, it is not comfortable for others seeing the best exposed publicly, just like seeing a naked man or woman just walking around publicly is not comfortable either. Breastfeeding or not, breasts are viewed as a sex ogran and women unfortunately as sex objects.

Perosnally, I see it this way: Would I normally go topless publicly? And the answer is NO. So if I am breastfeeding my baby, I won't be topless either. I would have no problem covering up because my breasts are private. You might see a flash of flesh momentarily but nothing to get excited over.
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 486
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2007 6:57:49 PM
As for anyone on here saying the dont want to see it to bad for you cause if baby is hungry the boob is coming out so be a little bit more mature a boob is a boob like it or not. Its not there for you to look at

And we're talking about ME being mature?

I may not have any children of my own, but I have a step-daughter, and all my friends have children (and now grandchildren). None of them, or their children would be caught dead breast feeding their kids in a public place. That's what lounges, breast pumps, and leaving the kid home with a baby sitter and pumped milk are for.

While I'm at it, when I'm out with my younger friends (I have a couple of girlfriends in their 30s) and their children they never make a peep to bother anyone else, because if they do they are whisked out within 2 nanoseconds. If I'm taking care of a child their tantrums, feeding, bowel movements or other problems never impact on other people enjoying a meal, a concert or anything else. If I've got to leave, then it's my responsibility to do so for having a child in tow.

The only exception is being on a plane. You can't exactly leave under those circumstances.

BTW, I have lived in Old Town Alexandria for 35 years and have never once seen a woman whip out a boob and feed her baby in a restaurant here, and I eat out almost all the time.

Syreen
Msg: 487
Posted: 2/19/2007 7:23:08 PM

That's kid territory. If they want to scream, throw food, nurse from every lactating boob in the place . . . that's fine with me.

well, after that ridiculous comment i can relax know i don't actually have to take you seriously.
 good_eat
Msg: 488
Posted: 2/19/2007 8:01:03 PM
Is changing diapers in public a sensible thing to do?
 maryrachelle
Msg: 489
Posted: 2/20/2007 1:04:34 AM
i have a sister who breastfed all her kids and they all have allergies and other kinds of illnesses and my brothers kids were lucky to have formula at all and never get sick . some kids are just healthier then others breastfed or bottle fed. i myself was breastfed and had terrible asthma as a child. as for breastfeeding in public well dont complain when a guy is staring at your boobs . sure babies like them but i think men like them just as much maybe more.
 counsellorTroi
Msg: 490
Posted: 2/20/2007 7:28:45 AM

I may not have any children of my own, but I have a step-daughter, and all my friends have children (and now grandchildren). None of them, or their children would be caught dead breast feeding their kids in a public place. That's what lounges, breast pumps, and leaving the kid home with a baby sitter and pumped milk are for.

While I'm at it, when I'm out with my younger friends (I have a couple of girlfriends in their 30s) and their children they never make a peep to bother anyone else, because if they do they are whisked out within 2 nanoseconds. If I'm taking care of a child their tantrums, feeding, bowel movements or other problems never impact on other people enjoying a meal, a concert or anything else. If I've got to leave, then it's my responsibility to do so for having a child in tow.

Times have changed from the "children should be seen and not heard" days to accepting them as part of our lives. Wherever you are going it sounds like a bunch of stuffy old people are hanging out - not family friendly at all. I not only wouldn't expect breastfeeding there, I wouldn't expect any kind of non-sequiteur berhaviour.

Anywhere anyone else can eat, a baby should be able to eat, too.

And as far as using a blanket, wearing layers with a vest over your breast-feeding top works well, too. Then you don't actually have to put anything over the baby's face.
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 491
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 7:54:33 AM
^^^^ Not family friendly, but not stuffy. People of all ages live in Old Town and the average age is probably the low 40s. Most of the 20 somethings and elderly don't have the money to pay the freight at the upscale places (although there are some very wealthy in those age categories too).

I dunno, maybe some of it is because folks here have more disposible income, they have more choices. So they don't have to schlep a baby everywhere and feed it when they're in an upscale establishment. I think they just decide to leave their little ones home with the baby sitter or their nanny at those times.

But even when they're bringing the kiddies along they don't act like little milking machines. I'm not making this up. Even in the less expensive places, I've never seen a mother whip a boob out, and I looked at a breastfeeding laws page. Apparently Virginia is one of the more breastfeeding friendly states -- so this behavior has nothing to do with the laws around here.

Yesterday the bf and I had a hankering for pizza, and so we went to a pretty downscale place called Faccia Luna. Lots of families, kids in height chairs. Not a place we go to a lot. It was pretty noisy, but no breast feeding going on. We also go to a diner for breakfast on a pretty regular basis -- also lots of babies there. Never seen it there either. There's also a place where you can get inexpensive meals, sort of cafeteria style (La Madeleine). I don't eat meals there, but I do get muffins there sometimes before pilates. Lots of moms and kiddies there, but no one breastfeeding.

justme1202
Msg: 492
Posted: 2/20/2007 10:35:26 AM
^^^^i just love the way your refer to babies in your messages. And i dont care if you live in the smallest town in the world your damn straight i would be breastfeeding my baby there. Your the only "upscale" person i know that as ever said what you have said.

There are not going to be people breastfeeding everywhere you look. I dont knwo about you but where ever you go in Ontario there are Signs every where That say "ANYWHERE, ANYTIME" so i go by what authorities say. So Whenever wherever is what i will continue to do. I will not let my baby go hungry because i am sitting in an "upscale" restaurant.
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 493
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 10:56:31 AM
^^^^ It sounds more like you're a political activist than a mother.

I live in the States. We don't have signs like that here, and women don't seem to feel a need to breastfeed in public -- at least where I live. Quite frankly, the whole thing never even occurred to me until I saw this thread. It's not like I run around expressing outrage and telling women to button up. It just doesn't happen here.

I don't see children in Old Town going hungry. They have bottles, are very well cared for and dressed. For a while I was seeing a trend of parenting I didn't like. Clueless mothers just letting the kids run around in some of the breakfast cafes. They were too busy talking to their girlfriends to pay attention to the kids. I'm not sure if it was the restaurants that tightened up the rules or the mothers decided they really didn't want to raise little helions afer all. It could even be that after spending $2,500 to send Fido to the Old Town School for dogs, they didn't want a child that was behaved worse than the family pet. What ever the reason, in recent years, children here have been much better behaved.

This "butt naked, I'll pop my boob out anywhere I feel like it" attitude sounds very feral or Third World. Cats and dogs do that sort of thing, it's also done outside of Western society. In cultures where people wear clothes they don't expose certain body parts in public.

And if I'm the only "upscale" person you've ever heard express this point of view, then you really need to come visit. You'll meet a lot of us.

RollerGrrrl
Msg: 494
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 11:04:30 AM

It's just unpleasant to watch, like watching someone change a diaper.

good lord. so DON'T WATCH. i think watching people eat caviar is unpleasant...so guess what? I DON'T WATCH.

lol. the anti-public-breastfeeders in this thread are hilarious.

how hard is it to just NOT LOOK? it shouldn't impact you AT ALL. breastfeeding is natural, PERIOD. it's not disgusting, unpleasant, stinky or gross. it's WHAT BREASTS ARE FOR.

god, grow up.
 sweetness30
Msg: 495
Posted: 2/20/2007 11:24:59 AM
the british are realy anti breast feeding in public. its ridiculous. any adult can eat in public, but a baby can't. if a baby is hungry then feed it. everyone knows breast is best. and i can't understand men that disapprove. they can sit and watch breasts on tv, or look at breasts in mags but when it comes to women breastfeeding in public they think its wrong. the world needs to go back to basics on some things i think.
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 496
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 11:47:07 AM

i think watching people eat caviar is unpleasant...so guess what? I DON'T WATCH

I feel the same way about eggs, and so when someone eats them, I don't watch.

But caviar and eggs are on the menu. I expect people to be eating them.

As far as I can tell, breast milk is NOT on the menu. Naked breasts are certainly not on the menu.

With that, I'm off to lunch.

RollerGrrrl
Msg: 497
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 12:40:05 PM

As far as I can tell, breast milk is NOT on the menu.

**newsflash**

if you are a woman with a breastfed infant, breastmilk IS "the menu". or perhaps you think the baby should be eating eggs & caviar?

i really can't believe you are offended by a woman feeding her infant in the manner that is intended. women moaning about other women breastfeeding in public is, to put it mildly, unpleasant.
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 498
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 1:56:42 PM
The whole idea that a baby should even be sitting in a place where they are serving caviar is totally ludicrous, bottle-fed or breastfed. People where I live get that, and so they leave their children at home when going out to eat in fancy establishments.

The idea is that we live in a society, and YOU and your baby are not the only people in it.

I also get this.

I'm very cautious about NOT invading other people's space. I don't talk loudly in restaurants, because I know everyone else there isn't interested in what I have to say. I also keep my possesions out of other people's space. As an example, I belong to an "executive ladies locker room" at my gym. Some of the women there take the fact that they pay a little extra money to belong to the room as an invitation to leave their crap everywhere. I don't. I'm very careful to make sure my stuff is only outside of my locker while I'm getting dressed, and I leave room for others. Sure, there's rarely anyone else there, but then sometimes 5 people will walk in at once. It's the luck of the draw, and those people have paid too. They deserve space to change their clothes.

When I'm with my friends who have children (one of my girlfriends had a 2-year old) I get on the floor with them, we play, we have fun. But we don't take them to the Ritz-Carlton. One day my friend with the 2-year old and I were out. She suggested that we both go. She rarely gets to go to fancy places like that. First she can't afford it, and secondly she has a toddler. I said no. Instead, I left my credit card with the maitre'd so she could go, and I took care of her son. I knew he'd have a lousey time, she'd have a lousey time because she'd be walking him up and down the hallways half the time, and everyone in the dining room would be pissed for the two seconds he was screaming before we got him out of there.

So this was a win-win. She was happy, he was happy, and I was happy to take care of him.

But even she would never have taken him to a restaurant to breastfeed him when he was a baby. She did that at home.

With that, I'll leave you all to argue this among yourselves. Apparently you discount the idea that anyone has rights outside of lactating mothers and their babies, so there's no reason to further argue the point.

maryrachelle
Msg: 499
Posted: 2/20/2007 3:16:18 PM
if all the breast was meant for was breastfeeding then it would only become engorged when you were lactating like other primates . since it does not and remains engorged all the time then this mean there is some sexual purpose for it . dont bash men for liking boobs and dont expect them to look away when you pull one out in public either. if you dont like the attention then go home or cover up while breast feeding . its like ignoring the elephant in the room when there is a woman sitting there with a boob hanging out .
 RollerGrrrl
Msg: 500
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 3:17:37 PM
what you seem to be missing is that a baby being fed is more important than your stuffy, stiff, holier-than-thou, omg-was-that-a-breast-?, stuck-up self. PERIOD.

and locker room what? lord, of course there are proper ways to behave in public, breastfeeding shouldn't enter into the debate, that's all. it's what we like to call a no-brainer.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?