Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blastkist
Msg: 76
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?Page 4 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Approve, of course!
 SimbadSailor
Msg: 77
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?
Posted: 11/8/2005 6:35:32 PM
Breastfeeding is natural and good, and worthy of the outmost respect.

Said this, I think that, the same way those mothers are deserving of respect, they need to respect other people's sensibilities and be as discreet as possible, when breastfeeding. It's not ok to say "it's their problem, screw them". Imagine a guy starting to peel buggers from his nose or taking off his shoe and scratching his foot in a restaurant. Would you think it's his right? What would you think if he says: "If you don't like it, it's your problem"? Natural things to do, of course, but being natural is not an excuse to offend others.
 thumper452000
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/8/2005 8:49:36 PM
I agree. As long as you take percautions to be discreet then feed the little darling.
 dewkiss31
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/8/2005 9:01:44 PM
I approve of it fully when my child was about 3 weks old I was in a chinese resuarant my child was hungrey and I politly covered myself and began feeding my child when this little elderly oriental woman came up to my table began to chew my ass out in chineese shaking her finger at me then uncovered my child patted him on the head and yelled at me some more she was yelling at me for covering up my child while he ate. I have hear that you should breast feed you child in the bathroom or some place where no body can see you I say would you like to eat in a bathroom NO!!!!! I THINK NOT why ask a mother to feed her child there. If someone tell you or gives you grief tell them to kiss you ass!!!!!!!!!!! Also breasts are NOT sexual organs they were put on our body for a pourpous to feed your child. Yes they are fun for a guy to play with but there main pourpous is to feed you child I am sorry if I ofend anyone but oh well that is how I feel.
 dcx10
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/8/2005 9:18:39 PM
Sure, if she is pretty. I am always open to see some good tits. Heck I want to go suck on them myself.
 SimbadSailor
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/8/2005 10:45:23 PM
You know, in South America they have no qualms about breastfeeding in public, so I've seen a lot of breastfeeding down there. I was once in a bus, and this woman was sleeping with her boob hanging and the child in her arms. And something curious happened. She was pretty, but she was completely asexual. I mean, if I had seen her topless at the beach, or naked, I'd surely had to hide my hardon. But with the kid in arms, she was (for me) like a lamp post or a dead fish, no reaction at all, she was not a sexual being.

Curious reaction... like switching off my male instinct, just like "breastfeeding - sex appeal turned off".
 blondegreeneyedgal
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/9/2005 8:57:34 AM
approve 100%,wherever whenever,its what they were made for.
 SimplySearching
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/9/2005 10:28:07 AM
What a shame it is that such a discussion even needs to be had. However, to the degree that some people become educated and aware of the benefits of breast feeding, I suppose it has it's purpose.

Study after study has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that given similar environments and influences that babies who are breast fed build a stronger immune system and are better prepared to live a healthier life. For those who are dubious, research any scientific study or visit a La Leche League web site. In fact, the longer a baby is breast fed, the more antibodies and immunities that are built up.

Equating breast feeding to sexuality? Myopia reigns. Two completely and separate topics.

To answer the original question of this thread: absolutely approve.
 Lioness79
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/10/2005 2:03:25 AM
I agree 100% with you systematic.. I am apalled at people that think a breast is strictly a sexual object.. It is how life has been nourished since mammals have walked this earth. Whether or not people beleive in evolution or are strictly religous... it is there in both cases. Scientific and in it's even the Bible. Yes there are other forms of feeding your children nowadays but why pay an arm and a leg for formula and bottles when you can produce and dispense you childs nutrients yourself FREE!
People need to educate themselves and understand what the benifits are for those children and the mothers!!
Breastfed babies are proven healthier; breastmilk contains antibodies, which help protect your baby from colds, chest- and ear infections, stomach upsets and diarrhea. Breastmilk is easily digested and breastfed babies are very rarely constipated. Breastmilk is constantly changing in its composition as baby grows, to meet the changing needs of the baby. It contains all the right ingredients your baby needs to grow well and to develop. It is the only food needed for your baby until he is about 6 months old.
Breastfeeding for at least 6 months helps protect against pre-menopausal breast cancer and breastfeeding helps protect against cervical cancer and osteoporosis.

So now I NEED to hear why breast feeding is bad and who cares if its in public? Don't you eat in resturants? OH NO we can't see that now that's discusting! Get real. There are situations where a woman may make it not appealing or if she whips it out dignity. Most mothers that breast feed dont want you staring at her tit anyway! So if you don't like it don't look! And to those moms who just whip it out... just don't do it, have some respect for yourself.. don't make a scene. I will be waiting for some good reasons...
 anicegirl34
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/10/2005 3:43:38 AM
I think breastfeeding is perfectly acceptable, as long as it is done discreetly in public - ie: a blanket overtop etc. It is important that babies get as much breastmilk as possible, and it also helps bond a mother and child. I loved breastfeeding my daughter.
 hummer4x4guy
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/10/2005 12:52:11 PM
Anyone know of or heard of the study done on breast milk and in all samples taken.. jet fuel was found in all the milk...Just goes to show how even tho the milk is best..its not always pure..its all from the environment..
Joel
 Diggy03
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2005 1:01:33 PM
I'm sorry.. I don't understand anyone's personal view against breast feeding in public. If you are disapproving to breast feeding in public.. it seems based on the responses that you are disapproving to breast feeding period.

I of course APPROVE of breast feeding anytime anywhere. All living forms (ok mammals mainly) breast feed their young, it is their main source of sustenance until they can eat on thier own. Just because we can conceptualize and comprehend what is being done doesn't mean it's wrong.

It doesn't make sense to give your child formula.. with man made synthesized vitamins and minerals. Not to mention some of those important nutrients found only in mother's breast milk cannot be recreated in a lab.

If all else fails one could breast feed and supplement with formula.

For those who are concerned about harmful toxins from the environment being found in breast milk... perhaps you should worry about the air you breathe too and maybe.. just maybe.. do everything you can to NEVER procreate.
 budderfly82
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/10/2005 3:20:58 PM
i breast fed my second son and not my first the one didnt is healthier the other is always in the hospital with his asthma i will say i had a stronger bond with my second and wish i did it with my first but i dont think its right to breast feed in public i never did and always found a way to feed him so i ddisapprove
 livewirehere
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/10/2005 3:38:12 PM
It is, and should be natural, but come on~~~ What's the term T&A mean>? .. Which is why I made the comment that society has raised us to believe something totally different. And, it's usually the men that are uncomfortable with it, not the women---Just one of my observations, anyway. And, yes, my ex was totally squirming in his chair and couldn't wait to get the he## out of there~~
 kelvin
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/10/2005 6:55:53 PM
I'm 42 and I STILL like breast feeding. LOL.
Actually I think it is good to breast feed, especially in the begining, the colostrum and all.
As far as in public, why not? Why are we so hung up on the human body. They are tits!!
Who cares? It's because we cover them up that makes them so sinful. I have seen guys at the pool with much bigger boobs than a lot of woman, now THATS disturbing!!!!!!
I'm like "yo, put on a halter top buddy!!" I would like to see more tits on a daily basis, just like in Ontario, but it is usually the woman that have been breastfeeding for 10 years that are taking their shirts off.
Yay boobs.
And who doesn't like to bury their face in a nice set of boobs???? I am sure I was breast feed, because the feeling never ends...I still get the urge.

Also, breast feeding is much easier at 3 in the morning, you just have to roll over and plop your boob in their mouth, not run to the kitchen and make a bottle. (since I was the one who uas usually running to the kitchen)
 Lots o Sugar
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/10/2005 7:03:22 PM
I breast fed my B until she was 18 months old(which was a trick as other nursing single moms will know) and weaned herself.

I did it anywhere I needed to. I was, ofcourse, discreet. It was the best experience I ever had.

I notice women nursing their babies at the mall. I think I almost wouldn't have noticed had I not done it myself.

And I may get yelled at for saying this- but how dare anyone think it shouldn't be allowed? I think its selfish.
 coolmum
Msg: 92
Posted: 11/10/2005 7:10:34 PM
Come on everyone! Most people are acting like breasts are some dirty sex organ! Women have breasts to breastfeed. They are only socially constructed as sexual objects. The argument here isn't whether breastfeeding is good or bad, its the way that society approves of it. And no its not an "old way" of feeding. The breastfeeding movement in North America is relatively new. Western countries did not promote it until recently. In other countries where breastfeeding isn't as taboo as people see it in North America, breastfeeding mothers are not shunned out of the public eye. So women, feed your babies if you want to. Cover up if you want to....but don't if it doesn't bother you. Breast are not dirty things to be covered. I'm saying that we need to go to an extreme and take our tops off. But come on, what harm is a little skin doing? And why should we have to feed our children in a dirty bathroom rather than in a public area? Oh AND, babies make more noise bottle feeding then breastfeeding babies do....actually, many adults make more disgusting noises then breastfeeding babies do.
 smoochiegal
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2005 3:58:59 AM
I'd breastfeed wherever I was if my baby was hungry. But this can be done discreetly I used to have a big top on or coat and just put baby under it. I think there is a diff between whoppin your whole breast out it makes ppl feel uncomfortable I suppose cos they don't know where to look lol
 SimbadSailor
Msg: 94
Posted: 11/11/2005 5:16:45 AM
I think the debate is not about if breastfeeding is good or not, but if it should be done in public. Of course it can be done, but discreetly. Why? Because we don't live alone in the world, nor we are the center of the universe. "It's just skin", well, imagine if I were to say "it's just bugger" if I decide to pick my nose and play with what goes out of it in front of you when you are eating. So others are uncomfortable? Well, let's be considerate and cover. It's just common courtesy, specially in a public place and in front of strangers.

Perhaps breastfeeding in the bathroom was a consequence of this "just skin" or "screw others" attitude.
 n8ive_mandy
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/23/2005 9:27:31 PM
***i think it's wrong to breastfeed in public. i think breastfeeding is very unnessecary. i breastfed one of my daughters, the other i didn't, and i see absolutely no difference in them and never have. breastfeeding is for the old days when that's all they had. JMO ***

Breastfeeding is not for the old days! I breastfeed and am not ashamed of it. If there is someone with a problem, then THEY are wrong! Breastfeeding is VERY necessary! And babies need the touch and the nourishment that changes as they grow. formula does not change in taste and certainly not in variety. breastmilk changes in taste and in variety and it stays ready at all times, and is really really great on the wallet. I totally support any woman who choses to breastfeed. BTW, I am only 18.
 bjcstorm
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2005 11:58:41 AM
Go for it. This coming from a nursing student. Your body makes that milk for a reason. And it is not for a grown man. The milk is rich in nutrients and is best for babies. Studies have proven that breast feed babies are healthier.
But also I do believe that if you do wish to feed in Public then you should be considerite of everyone else and should use a blanket to cover up. Of course with me being a father, my boys where breastfeed, and I and my exwife would go out we would go prepared with bottles for them, so we wouldn't have to worry about if it was wrong or not.
 1OhioGal
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/25/2005 10:34:01 PM
I agree with you, there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding....breast were created as a food source for your child, although they help out in creating that child. First and foremost it is a source of nourishment....those who find breastfeeding undesirable must be lactose intolerable...haha but seriously, there is a descreet way of breastfeeding and it be done in a manner that is tasteful to society.....those who just whip it out and let all see are the ones that are making it hard for moms to be able to do this.....its natural and if it were not for breast we wouldn't be here now would we because way back when they didn't have a grocery store where you can run in and get some formula or baby bottles to pump your milk in....people need to get a grip and quit thinking so perverted
 Single Dad In Florida
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/26/2005 4:39:13 AM
Systematic

I don't think there is anything wrong with breast feeding a baby in public.it should not offend
anyone,but that is my opinion.
Some men may feel uncomfortable,like the old man you told us about,also he may not have had anything against you feeding the baby,just felt ackward sitting next to you,while you
where doing it.
 Sensualgemini
Msg: 99
Posted: 11/26/2005 7:09:50 PM
your baby doesnt get antibodies with bottled milk, so that says they will get sick more often. They can duplicate a lot of things now in formulas, but not antibodies. Those are individual to the mother.

...Only the initial first milk called colostrums has the valid antibodies you speak of; the first 72 hours. After this period, formula or nursing is equal, although certain medications, etc. consumed by the Mother can be dangerous to the breast feeding baby. We have all read the warnings on labels.

...Nevertheless, nursing is natural and although it does not bother myself, some people take offense in public places as being imposing. Some may not share your enthusiasm for being a nursing Mother and makes them very nervous, some never wanted children and some are from cultures that do not approve; where others are simply perverts trying to get a glimpse and you are providing the show.

...My four sons were all nursed and I remember times when their little arms would with one quick swipe, pull the blanket down. Thinking one is being discreet is ridiculous, as everyone knows what is happening, or wants to know. In more formal and public places, timing events with feedings, or the usage of a breast pump and a bottle alleviates any chance of imposing or embarrassment.

...Discernment, tact and a bit of modesty is paramount, as you do not have the right to flop a boob out anyplace you see fit to do so ... no different than putting the baby on the table to change it's diaper; most folks just tolerate it and think the baby is cute! ...Besides, I was never completely broke from nursing and I try not to participate in public:)
 robbie-girl
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/26/2005 10:29:51 PM
i personal think that if you are breastfeeding and you know your going out in public you can always pump your breast milk into a bottle .... i would prefer not to be have dinner across from a women who is breastfeeding .... but too each there own =)
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?