Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CaringClownfish
Msg: 101
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?Page 5 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
I nursed my son for over three years and chose not to do so in public....mainly because he would fall asleep during it and I didn't want him to be woken. I think you can plan ahead enough so that you are not caught in public.

Although, I must say in the beginning when the milk flow was at a peak, I was caught off-guard a time or two and had to find a private place to go while away from home.

It's not like I would be mad if someone did it in front of me. However, I tried to not assume that with others and went on the side of caution......to be respectful of those who are uncomfortable with it.
 Crane Man
Msg: 102
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?
Posted: 11/27/2005 1:20:31 PM
Nothing wrong with it, just be discreet and keep covered as much as possible.
 Sorcha33
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/27/2005 4:52:56 PM
Well Approve.. I remember on a bus with my youngest.. I was trying to discreet.. Two older Japanese women were sitting oposite from me and I was sure they were talking about me. In my insecurity i assumed it was they were offended that i was nursing in public.

One came over still chatting and lifted back my shirt, pulled my breast away from my sons noes and then patted me on the head and sais "See? Better."

i had been squishing him. I just sat there with a dropped jaw, not only had a stranger touch my breasts, in public, but she was right. i has been squishing him. I smiled the rest of the day. Since then i never hesitate to offer advice for publis breasfeeding and i often 'thank' mothers and familys for promoting happy healthy children.
 jessika2908
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/27/2005 5:55:44 PM
If I was breast feeding and my child needed to eat be it by a bottle or my breast she would eat. I don't care who looked down on me!! I am not going to be a hermit in side the house because I am not able to feed my child outside of the house!!
This topic really pi$$es me off because there is so many narrow minded people out there that don't think it is OK to breast feed outside of the home!!
 WarmCuddly
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2005 7:29:13 PM
I believe that, if the mother is comfortable enough to breastfeed in public. Then nobody has the right to say otherwise. The only thing that I suggest, is that she do it discretely.
 leigh148
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2005 3:16:32 PM
to me breasts are not ment as a sexual organ on the body although very pleasurable thats not what they are made for .. the were givin to all women to feed their kids.. and i dont think it is wrong to breast feed in public i did with my son and i had alot of people look at me weird but when my kid is hungry hes hungry and there is nothing wrong wit that at all
 lapislazuli
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2005 4:22:16 PM
I have breastfed all my babies...My oldest daughter is 21, she nursed until she was almost 2 and back then I got alot of dirty looks and disapproval from almost everyone...Now theres way more awareness and I was ahead of the game! I'm proud that I breastfed all my kids...my oldest son is 11. He tandom nursed with my daughter who is now 8, and she tandum nursed with my youngest son who is now 5...As for public. I believe that the stigma of breastfeeding in public will go away as more awareness grows and as more moms just do it. I was a bit shy so I covered up when I did it but I still did it. And when someone looked at me funny I just smiled at them . Breasts are for babies. It was men that invented the bottle. lol Well some people can thank that man...esp all the companies that made themselves rich from the formulas that came with it. Every other mammal on the planet does it so why does the smartest one have a problem with it! You can't go through your life looking for others for approval or you will sell yourself short. Its tough being a parent and even tougher being a single parent. Breastfeeding my kids is one of the things I could give my kids that money can't buy and nothing else in the world can replace. Its what got us through the tough times and my kids are worth it!!!
 cblguy12524
Msg: 108
Highly dissaprove
Posted: 11/28/2005 4:26:39 PM
Sex is the second most natural part of life. First being the urge to shit and piss. I for one happen to be able to resist the urge to throw down a girl in a coffee shop and rail her on the flimsy tables and then dont whip it out to piss on the counter when im done. I dont think that you do either. I personally think that you should be forced to pump your own milk at home and bottle it. My mother did it, now its your turn. No one wants to see your extended semi purple nips popping out when the baby need to get air, its disgusting. I ran a cafe for while and mothers loved to come to the mall and let the suckfest begin. Many a customer would tell me that they were leaving because they felt it was inappropriate to do so in such a public place, but more importantly because their children shouldnt be seeing such a thing. Not saying its wrong, not natural, just not an excuse. If i can get a ticket for pulling over on the side of a highway because im about to wet myself on a long car ride, so should breastfeeding mothers. My penis is more then just a sex organ, thats its secondary function folks. Its my primary waste disposal unit. I know that many will respond to this venemously, but you all know that im right. you all have time to pump and you all have 20 bucks for a pump. thats like a pack of diapers. Right now i think im going to go piss in a walmart and have sex with a cashier on the counter. Unprotected sex. Were going to procreate. After all, isnt that the purpose of life? LoL, see yall next time around
 lapislazuli
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2005 4:32:14 PM
Sorry to hear that..sounds absolutely nightmarish. The fact that both you and your sister had exactly the same problem with your babies developing nasty rashes can mean several things. Your milk was custom made from your body for your baby. However some things you choose to eat or drink can cause that kind of reaction with your baby. For eg. cows milk. Babies almost always have a bad reaction to it and as a matter of fact you are not supposed to even give it to them until they are passed 1 yr old. But some people just don't like breastfeeding...and for you I'm glad they invented the bottle...take care.
 cblguy12524
Msg: 110
Posted: 11/28/2005 4:45:58 PM
i just went and jerked off in a Gap, cummed on the floor, then flung poo at the plate glass window. Apes do it, were apes. Whats the harm, its natural. The my girlfriend started menstrating through her panties. She made it a point to smear some on her white skirt just to show people that it was natural and should be accepted. For this reason we have chosen to never have our dogs or cats fixed. while we walked around, sitting on as many benches as possible to spread her period on as much as possible someone gave us a dirty look. We shot up and replied, HEY! WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT! WE CAN DO THIS! ITS AS NATURAL A PART OF LIFE AS BREATHING! WE DONT NEED TAMPONS OR PADS, WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO LET IT FLOW! This astonished onlooker was then inspired and started menstrating right along with us. Before you know it we covered a 17,999 sq. ft. mall with blood. weve never been more proud. Afterwards, we all dropped trou and and had an orgy while urinating and defocating freely all over the parking lot. Sorry about your car, but its natural! What gives you the right! Anyone who disagrees is a narrow minded buffoon who needs to be educated on the benefits of menstruation and how natural it is. Also the benefits of defocation. Burn your tampons ladies! Men never use a urinal again! We can liberate ourselves from this imperialistic power that tries to control us! never will we conform to the man! we can be dissrespectful to the world in the name of nature! Yaaaaa! Hippies unite! Get a bag of granola and bleed, bleed like theres no tomorrow!
 lapislazuli
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Highly dissaprove
Posted: 11/28/2005 6:38:58 PM
Do you even have one idea how much of a goof you sound like?? You made yourself sound like an ignoramous amebo brain...noone can top what you already did to yourself ALL THE WOMEN IN THE HOUSE SAY "BREASTFEED IN PUBLIC"!!! Lmao poor you lol...May you have many experiences seeing disgusting breastfeeding nipples in public
 lapislazuli
Msg: 112
view profile
History
in response to mcs(d360447)
Posted: 11/28/2005 7:08:36 PM
Sorry to hear that..sounds absolutely nightmarish. The fact that both you and your sister had exactly the same problem with your babies developing nasty rashes can mean several things. Your milk was custom made from your body for your baby. However some things you choose to eat or drink can cause that kind of reaction with your baby. For eg. cows milk. Babies almost always have a bad reaction to it and as a matter of fact you are not supposed to even give it to them until they are passed 1 yr old. But some people just don't like breastfeeding...and for you I'm glad they invented the bottle...take care.
 lapislazuli
Msg: 113
view profile
History
reply to caringclownfish
Posted: 11/28/2005 7:32:53 PM
That sounds totally reasonable. That is the way I look at it as well..to be respectfull of others. I believe there are many worse things people could do in public than breastfeed their babies. However discretion in case someone is offended or embarrassed is only showing consideration for the other people. I had it down so that noone would even be able to tell I was doing it...blankets work and their are ways to do that so noone notices. Thats just me though I was shy and did not feel comfortable at all showing perfect strangers my breasts.
 andieland
Msg: 114
Posted: 11/28/2005 7:45:14 PM
I approve of breastfeeding in public. When it comes to procreation, women's breast are the life for the baby. Without breasts and milk the baby cannot sustain life. I dont see how giving life and nourishing a baby is sexual...

I did it...
 Sensualgemini
Msg: 115
In response to cblguy and prior...
Posted: 11/29/2005 11:47:40 AM
...Actually cblguy, some of what you said was outside of sensationalism and has some valid credibility. There are tons of "normal and natural" occurances that we simply do not do in public; those that would impose upon another.

...Reading prior posts, I would not care to be eating dinner with my family and having the "tandem nursing" experience at the next table. And if someone reached to pull the blanket off of my wife and child, that person would only make the attempt once.

...Yes, I realize that nursing Mom's need to get out as well. Thus, I still feel that some exceptions to nursing in public are valid ... as long as discreet, with some modesty and not imposing upon another; otherwise have a bottle handy. Modesty is normally accepted, as everyone loves babies and nobody wants them starving; or is that screaming while we are trying to enjoy ourselves after an 80 hour work week.

...In conclusion, there are much worse things than a nursing Mom in public places, such as a restaurant. How about the idiot parents that count to three for their obnoxious brats? Or worse, those that count to ten? ... Already smarter than the parent, that friggen kid is not going to comply with anything until 9-3/4.
 ashannon34
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2005 7:14:00 PM
I love this question! I just had another daughter and I wanted to bad to breast feed my baby, even after I went to work. But, I was discouraged when I was out in public to breast feed, mostly due to the stares I got. But, I did breast feed her for 6 weeks, but then I had to go back to work and with time constraints at work I was not able to pump. I was not able to breast feed my son and I can say that there is a difference in his health and hers. She is over 2 months old and has not been sick once, my son was in the hospital on and off his whole life....
 livewirehere
Msg: 117
Posted: 11/30/2005 6:56:56 PM
I think I see a trend here~~ Discretion seems to be the "key" word here. Which was the point of my post. If you're at the table having dinner at a "fine dining establishment", I think discretion would dictate at least covering yourself as best you can? I know that it wasn't just my ex who was squirming in his chair~~~ It didn't bother me, though... It's just how most of us were raised and it's going to take a lot of people a very long time to accept things like nursing at the table in a very expensive restaurant without covering up whatsoever. And, this was even in Santa Cruz~~~ ((Home of most of the world's hippies and bohemians))~~
 ~PureLife~
Msg: 118
Posted: 11/30/2005 8:45:29 PM
100% beautiful, natural, mother nature. I mean keep it within reason use a nursing blanket.
 christmom
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/1/2005 9:29:01 AM
Anyone whos sees breastfeeding as a sexual thing need their head examined.Its one thing if a woman is doing it for attention{showing her breast on purpose} its another to feed her child.If done correctly noone would even know you were breastfeeding.Ive went to the grocery and a woman had her breast hanging over the cart feeding her child while she shopped that is asking for undue attention.While I on the other hand breastfed my children everywhere I went and noone even noticed not even my ex at the time.A simple blanket drapped over the shoulder and none is the wiser.If not for the ability to breastfeed my first son would have died because there was nothing on the market his body didnt reject.My third the same.So I breast fed all four.Less infection due to a higher immune system and when they do get sick which is still very rarely they heal quicker.Also the women benefits too.We lose the baby fat from pregnancy quicker and our brain produces hormones while breastfeeding that helps with post partum blues.Nothing man produced can do that!As far as sexual organs that is secondary and some people need to get their minds out of the gutter!
 equipped with revenge
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/1/2005 9:56:51 AM
I did not breastfeed my children and they didn't lack anything. Breastfeeding in public is a very controversial topic. On one hand, when a woman openly breastfeeds in public, it tends to make some people uncomfortable. On the other hand, breastfeeding is a very natural part of life and a woman who chooses to breastfeed her child shouldn't be made to feel like it's unnatural. I have seen a woman openly breastfeeding her child who was at least two years old. That to me seems a little excessive.
There is a happy medium that more and more public places have been using. Family washrooms with a nursing station. These are wonderful for the nursing mommy. She can breastfeed her child while out in public, without having to be, out in public.
 rose88
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/4/2005 9:40:35 AM
I approve of women nursing babies in public discretely and respectfully. I certainly wouldn't want them to nurse in a bathroom.
 snickergrl28
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2005 11:42:58 AM
Well I'm not bashing boob feeding..if you want to go ahead.. Its a choice...But when I had my daughter I never breastfed ..only formula..she is 8 and has came down with 2 colds since then and is healthy and thriving, extremely smart and does well in school....my friends and relatives who did breastfeed, there kids are always sick, 2 have add, and are always missing school..Im just one who does'nt believe in the statistics about breast milk.
 sidheanwwyn
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/4/2005 7:42:05 PM
^^^then you would be a fool. your personal experience does not refute statistics, formula is derived from cow's milk, which is much higher in salt and fat, among other things, than human milk. nothing artificially produced can match what nature designed you to produce for your young. mare's milk is much closer to human milk, interestingly enough.

a woman shouldn't have to use a bottle for breastmilk, as it causes confusion, among other things. anyone who is offended by a mother feeding her child really needs to have their head examined. not everyone can use a pump, either. i couldn't, as the shape of my nipples made it impossible for them to work properly.

i always used a blanket as a cover when i fed my daughter, but i still got dirty looks. i even had one woman tell me i was "sick". imagine that. i asked her what she thought breasts were for.
 whosyourbadkitty
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/4/2005 7:55:08 PM
human beings are no different than any animals in nature that feed their young by way of breastfeeding. other than the fact that some people are immature and can't handle the mere thought of allowing their own child to suckle, there is absolutely no difference. if your cat has kittens do you remove the cats from mom and bottle feed them? you wouldn't do that with your dog either... the only reason for doing that would be for the health and well being of mom or babies. so why would a human mom opt to bottle feed if she were fully capable of feeding the way nature intended? people with breast feeding issues need to get over it... you signed up for the job when you got pregnant and if you can't feed for medical reasons, that's one thing but to be so immature as to opt for bottle feeding because of the social stigma is just THE most rediculous thing a woman could ever say.
 oceanpearl202
Msg: 125
Posted: 12/4/2005 7:55:53 PM
I used to pump milk off for my daughter. I wasn't comfortable breastfeeding in public. My boobs are unfortunately too big and trying to cover them without smothering the baby was a task. Plus I was too self concious (spelling.. aduhhhhh). It's different for every mother, but I firmly believe that it's the mother's decision and the mother's right.

OP
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?