Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Herpes?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 freakycoole
Msg: 51
Herpes?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

I feel insulted that you would indicate that people on welfare (assistance) are ALL on the take.

Maybe twoshadows, hasnt met anyone on "assistance" who hasnt been into anything but getting "free" money....or on the take.

WELFARE IS WELFARE !!! not this "assistance", b.s.
 Wpg_Wmn
Msg: 52
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 9:29:13 AM

WELFARE IS WELFARE !!! not this "assistance", b.s.

Actually, it's called Employment and Income Assistance.

^^Obviously comes from someone who has never been a little down on her luck or unable to work for various reasons.

Income Assistance and a huge amount of money in student loans allowed me to go back to university and make something of myself. I wouldn't even wanna think about where I would be if it's weren't for them.

And I don't look down on anyone who "needs" assistance.
 Lil Redneck
Msg: 53
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 9:35:33 AM
Thankyou so much for your honesty Wpg Woman....... I am on partial as widows bennifits pays under 250. per month. Smiles someday I know I will find an employer who dosen't discriminate against crohn's and my compressed disc and will undertand I need a drug plan to end this nasty stigma.......but until then I have to deal. smiles nice to know you
understand and I thankyou for your words.

Titan I know.......ignore my girl they don't understand what a special human you are indeed. Know I back you 110% my dear.............hugs and a big proud smile just for you!!!!!!!!
 freakycoole
Msg: 54
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 9:39:04 AM

Obviously comes from someone who has never been a little down on her luck.

I've been "down on my luck" many times, but I never needed "assistance" to help me out.
 A Purrrfect Pisces
Msg: 55
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 9:42:12 AM
Just for verification guys - ALL sexually transmitted diseases (with the exception of HIV) are reportable by law, you test positive, Public Health will be contacting you, providing treatment and will be obtaining a list of your partners where they contact them confidentially to inform them that they've been exposed, that they will require treatment, and to obtain a list of their partners - and the beat goes on.
And they will follow up with everyone to ensure all have been compliant.

As for HIV - not reportable by law given all the controversary which remains - ie: the kid in the playground, a Hemophiliac, contracted HIV thru a tainted blood transfusion. Should the entire school be informed in order to protect the others as wel as the kid? And risk the kid become further stigmatized or ridiculed?
Or the Doc or Dentist you see - what if they're HIV positive - should they inform you and risk their reputaiton - better yet, should you be telling your Doc or Dentist that you're HIV positive, given he can contract it possibly - a slip of the knife, a needle stick and then pass it onto the rest of his patients.

Just for the record - I'm not debating or stating one is right or wrong. Just stating the facts, that those are some of the many issues surrounding whether or not to make HIV reportable by law as a Communicable Disease as are the rest of them such as Herpes, GC, Chlamydia and so on.

Respect yourself ........... and get tested.

Later POF'ers......play nice and play safe..........

PP
 dream mate
Msg: 56
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 9:43:30 AM
Never is a very long time......it ranks right up there with forever and eternal.
 Lil Redneck
Msg: 57
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 9:43:42 AM
Freekycool: But I will bet you recieve government help in the form of subsidy and daycare.
Same government same stigma.......wake up hun. I paid full fair for my child's
childcare.
 twoshadows
Msg: 58
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 10:12:53 AM
Debating whether to take off bulletproof clothing.

Let's keep this on topic. Why doesn't someone start a thread on Assistance and we can all give our opinions there? I never tried to malign all people receiving government help;this was just one case and my opinion of what this woman was doing.
 Fat Bloke
Msg: 59
Herpes? REAL information!!!
Posted: 8/12/2006 10:51:51 AM
Some REAL information about HSV I-II, and testing....
A friend of mine was infected as a result of her SOB husband's (now "ex") infidelity , and so with my penchant for research I founs out enoug info on STDs to scare the shite outa me...

Herpes Testing
------------------

Herpes testing is done to detect the presence of the herpes simplex virus (HSV). An HSV infection can cause small, painful blisterlike sores of the skin or the tissue lining (mucous membranes) of the throat, nose, mouth, urethra, rectum, and vagina. A herpes infection may cause only a single outbreak of sores, but in many cases the person will have recurrent outbreaks.

There are two types of HSV:

* HSV type1. Usually causes cold sores (also called fever blisters) on the lips. HSV-1 is generally spread by kissing or by sharing eating utensils (such as spoons or forks) when sores are present. HSV-1 can also cause sores around the genitals.

* HSV type 2. Usually causes sores in the genital area (genital herpes), such as on or around the vagina or penis. HSV-2 also causes the type of herpes infection seen in babies born to women who have genital herpes. HSV-2 is generally spread by sexual contact. HSV-2 rarely causes sores elsewhere in the body.

On rare occasions, HSV can infect other parts of the body, such as the eyes and the brain.

To determine whether sores are being caused by the herpes simplex virus, different types of tests may be done.

* Herpes viral culture. Cells or fluid from a fresh sore are collected with a cotton swab and placed in a culture container. A viral culture is regarded as the most specific method of diagnosing a genital herpes infection.

* Herpes virus antigen detection test. Cells from a fresh sore are scraped off and then smeared onto a microscope slide. This test detects markers (called antigens) on the surface of cells infected with the herpes virus. This test may be done in addition to or in place of a viral culture.

* Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test.
PCR testing can be done on cells or fluid from a sore,
OR on blood, or on other fluid (such as spinal fluid)
. PCR detects the genetic material (DNA) of the HSV virus. This test can distinguish between HSV-1 and HSV-2. The PCR test is not commonly done on skin lesions, but it is best for testing spinal fluid, for rare cases in which herpes may be causing infection in or around the brain.

* Antibody tests.

Serologic (blood tests)
can detect antibodies that are made by the immune system to fight a herpes infection. Blood tests can be performed even when there are no symptoms present. If the herpes antibodies are found in the blood, it means that herpes simplex is latent in the body.

Serologic (blood) tests do not require swabbing a lesion, so they can be done long after symptoms have faded. This method of testing has the advantage that it can be done even when a person has no symptoms, so it is a very effective way to detect an established herpes infection. Because antibodies take time to develop after the initial infection, a positive antibody test may not be present if you have recently been infected. Some blood tests can diagnose the difference between HSV-1 and HSV-2. The results from an antibody test called an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA, EIA) may be available in about 2 hours.

*** POCkit is a new test available at some clinics. It checks blood from a finger prick for antibodies to HSV-2. The results are generally available in about 10 minutes. The POCkit test is more expensive than other tests and may not be available everywhere

It is estimated that 50% to 80% of adults in the United States have HSV-1 and 20% have HSV-2.

A herpes infection cannot be cured. Once you become infected with HSV, the virus remains in the body for life. It "hides" in a certain type of nerve cell, causing recurrent outbreaks of sores in some people. Recurring infections can be triggered by factors such as stress, fatigue, sunlight, or another infection, such as a cold or flu. Medication can relieve symptoms and shorten the duration of the outbreaks, but medication cannot cure the infection.

A different herpes virus (called herpes varicella zoster) causes chickenpox and shingles.

Test Results

Herpes testing is done to detect the presence of the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Results of a viral culture can require 2 to 3 days for a rapid culture or up to 14 days with a standard culture. Antigen detection test results are usually ready in a day. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test results are usually ready in 1 to 3 days. Results from an antibody blood test are usually available within 2 days.

FYI
 Vlvt_Drmr_N_Smilin_eyes
Msg: 60
Herpes? REAL information!!!
Posted: 8/12/2006 12:00:35 PM
Celebacy has it's good points...

You all figure if I go long enough without I can say I'm a virgin??? Again???
 freakycoole
Msg: 61
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 12:49:19 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, LittleKitty...but when I was down on my luck, I wasnt being supported by the government in any way or form. I didnt have my son back then either, so I didnt receive anything for him. I guess the only assistance I had ever gotten, was from the nice people who would occasionally drop a couple of bucks in my hat, every week or so. Kept me living, until I got back on my feet.
 dream mate
Msg: 62
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 12:54:34 PM
oops and steamer were throwing around a lot of condoms, last night at Baja.

I hope some of them, at least, were put to good use.
 freakycoole
Msg: 63
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 2:27:53 PM

I feel insulted that you would indicate that people on welfare (assistance) are ALL on the take.

Not ALL people on welfare (assistance) are on the TAKE...just seems thats been the case with the people we have experienced, who were on welfare.
 BBQ Slave
Msg: 64
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 2:35:44 PM
Did you not say you would date someone with it, but no sex? So would that not be on the take of some kind??? Like movies, dates, dinner, going places?? With no future of anything coming out of it? I think that would be just using someone, which in my little redneck mind is as good as being on the take
 freakycoole
Msg: 65
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 2:41:35 PM
I would date someone with Herpes, and I have in the past...but unless there is some connection between me and him, then what point do I have in persuing things further?

What exactly do you think I would be taking from him?
 somethings up
Msg: 66
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 5:39:02 PM
I would never ever tell a girl I have herpes. She would be gone so fast.
 Titian433
Msg: 67
Herpes?
Posted: 8/12/2006 8:04:11 PM
That's not necessarily true. Remember at least 20% of all of us have herpes. If the woman had it too, she would not run, she would be relieved. It's not a life-threatening illness, just a nuisance. I've heard of lots of people who come to the conclusion that they care about this person and want a long-term relationship with them. It has happened to me. There are medications that help to control the virus - some people never even have a break-out, others do but rarely. I've heard of lots of couples who get married and know how work around it, and the uninfected one never gets infected. And if they do, it's no big deal, because they're in a committed relationship.
If you had herpes and did NOT tell, now that would be a different story - that would make you dishonest and unethical.

And purrfect pisces, I hate to contradict you, but sadly, the law does not require anyone to disclose herpes. I would sue the person who misled me, but all the cases get thrown out of court because it's almost impossible to prove who gave it to you.

I'd rather be with someone who is aware of what they have, than to be sleeping around with people who don't have a clue what they may have.
 Vlvt_Drmr_N_Smilin_eyes
Msg: 68
Herpes?
Posted: 8/13/2006 1:33:14 AM

I would never ever tell a girl I have herpes. She would be gone so fast.

Nice display of honesty.

And you're looking for a one night stand??? Sheesh... I wonder what else you wouldn't tell the (un) lucky lady...
 nottaprincess
Msg: 69
Herpes?
Posted: 8/13/2006 1:59:46 AM
I had a guy named Chase email me tonight asking if I'd like to fck (hell no) and telling me he has a girlfriend and the HIV....what a weirdo.... We should have a bif L button...for loser!!!
 Vlvt_Drmr_N_Smilin_eyes
Msg: 70
Herpes?
Posted: 8/13/2006 2:47:43 AM
Yikes...at least he was honest!!!
 ceknasmile
Msg: 71
Herpes?
Posted: 8/13/2006 3:09:49 AM
LOL Notta ....I would think some ( maybe most ) would only want an " EASY " button ....
Adjustable ofcourse ....
 nottaprincess
Msg: 72
Herpes?
Posted: 8/13/2006 5:07:54 AM
I should clarify....some people might remember 'Chase'...he was a rude troll who was running around these forums posting all sorts of negativity last winter! BIG L!
 Justherself
Msg: 73
Herpes?
Posted: 8/13/2006 8:31:10 AM
OP: how nice of you to start a thread about this fella's pain! I admire him for his honesty..not many people have the nads to do what he did..you could have asked your question without bringing in the fact that there was some poor guy on here that admits to having herpes..real classy
 A Purrrfect Pisces
Msg: 74
Herpes?
Posted: 8/13/2006 10:08:56 AM
Hi Titian - just to verify I stated reportable by law, meaning when Public Health contacts you regarding your STD, you are obligated by law to seek treatment, which they will verify and you are obligated to inform them of your sexual contacts - where they will then contact them - confidentially, and inform them that they've been exposed to the virus, follow that they receive treatment and contact their contacts.
I didn't say that they're obligated to disclose that they have Herpes.

I'm sorry for your story - and I agree when a person knowingly infects another, there should be law of intent and consequences for the actions. But, as well, because many diseases lie dormant, some for up to 10 years, often people don't know that they're carrying or infecting.

Which is why testing is promoted and encouraged as a method to respect yourself and others and, is the reason condoms were invented.

PP
 TrinaD
Msg: 75
Herpes?
Posted: 8/15/2006 6:08:29 PM
Ok i know this guy that you are talking about and he is a great guy.I've never personally met him but my roomie has and he is really a nice guy but anyways I think its comendable that he is straigth up about it. I mean would u rather someone lie to u , somethin happens ya end up in the sack together and a few weeks,days,months later he tells u or she tells u. hey guess wat i have chlamydia,ghonera, etc etc. anyways i dunno its all good
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Herpes?