Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 'toooo many fish in the sea?'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 111Enigma
Msg: 176
'toooo many fish in the sea?'Page 8 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Yes, the Online thingy makes it harder for people to take their time to actually get to know someone slowly....

Everything is going very quickly and people lose interest if their counterpart is not up to part with expectations right away.

I am guilty of this phenomena myself.

Online dating is supposed to make things easier....yet ... it's so much harder.

My advice? Keep on fishing and hope for a good catch!

P.A.
 Rarebird76
Msg: 177
'toooo many fish in the sea?'
Posted: 5/10/2010 5:49:53 PM

my question is.,,, ARE THERE TOOOOO MANY FISHES IN THE SEA!!!. Are we becoming too picky now that we have so many choices? When gramma met grampa at the box social (whatever that was) at church, did he have this many fish? When our parents met in highschool , didnt they search and choose from the smaller crowd. Now we have the option of thousands.
Recently especially I've been thinking to myself how there really does seem to be too many options. It's like a millions different paths all going in different directions and the ease of which to be 'sidetracked' by some seems great. Of course I would like less men for women to choose from...then perhaps I wouldn't look so bad, 'hey baby if I was the last man on earth would you consider then?' Ah well....whadda ya gonna do...It's discouraging. What I hate is I find a girl I really think would we would be good together (and for each other) and then I say something which flips the 'off' switch in her mind....It's VERY tiring..........
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2010 6:15:38 PM
Too Many fish in the sea.
As many as you could wish.
.....so how can it be?
That with all these damn fish...
none will date me?

:-P
 SwimminWithTheFishies
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2010 6:31:04 PM
POF is more like a large aquarium and not the sea. Most come to just look at the fish but really have no intention of trying to catch one.
 Maleman999
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2010 7:33:38 PM
Who came along with the big net and snagged all of the female fish? There's probably ten times more men than women here, just like in real life where single men and women congregate. What gets me is when women complain that they get so many e-mails from guys to sift through and write off most of them right off the bat for whatever reason. Most guys would be in heaven if they had huge piles of e-mails from women to sift through. That would be a good problem. Many of the women who get tons of e-mails here are still saying: "Where are the good guys? Where can I find someone that's right for me?"
 Naganadoy
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2010 8:03:50 PM
One fish
Two fish
Red fish
Blue fish....
show me yer papers fishie!

hmmmmm im not sure if the number of fish in the sea makes us more picky or if it is this bass-akwards way we try to get to know each other. online EVERYTHING is unnatural and backwards compared to the natural way of meeting a person in the real world.

in t he real world you can get to know some negative qualities and at the same time ahve them balanced out with some positive qualities. online you tend to hear about a few negative qualities and then slam on the brakes and move on to th e next person just because by not actually having met the person in person and not actually getting to know him in real life...you have to make quick decisions based on a few emails.

its all bananas!
thats great if youre a MonkeyFish
 gonewalkabout2
Msg: 182
Posted: 5/10/2010 9:35:43 PM
Yep plenty fish but the yummy ones lives too far away like USA and Canada
 mr.evil
Msg: 183
Posted: 5/10/2010 9:50:26 PM
Ah an oldie but a goody!!

Yes, yes tooo many fish, well maybe...

Funny this place POF, now most of the males come a lookin for mates, BUT many of the females won't date em. Now the rest of males come lookin for sex, those the females date, then get pizzed, cause that's all these guys want!

ME? Well I'm lookin for that unique fish, just right for me. BUT I seem to have stumbled into the "catch and release" part of the pond, lake,sea, or whatever the heck you want to call it. I've caught 11 this trip, 17 last trip. Last time I thought I had a keeper, but it just didn't work. This trip all I'm catching are the weak fish(weak of spirit, mind or other malody). sigh. So I'll just keep baitin my hook and hope for the best.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2010 11:24:34 PM
I think it has much to do with age group. I feel the younger people are more serious, have less baggage and stand a far better chance. For the most part, I think us older people are just kidding ourselves. Most older people own their own homes, settled in their lifestyle and wouldn't risk moving or selling their house to take another shot this late in the game. They like the fantasy, and getting approached to feed their self esteem, but that's usually as far as it's really going. Older ladies with an empty nest soon refill it with dogs, cats, and grandchildren. Why they think they have time for a man or think one is interested in playing second fiddle to all her other priorities is a mystery. Same goes for older men....given the chance to go on some adventure with my buddies that pay their own way, or spend hundreds on dinners for women who only want to be flattered between baby sitting and doggy care obligations....guess which one I'll choose? The fishing is fine for the younger folks, but I think the older ones just enjoy getting a few nibbles for the ego. The reality is quite simple, being so picky is because you are really fairly content the way you are....except for a little intimacy occasionally. If grown ups would grow up, that issue could be solved to satisfaction.
 imsa1
Msg: 185
Posted: 5/11/2010 6:13:32 AM
there were too many 5 years ago when this was first posted, way more now! yep, I do belive that most that use this site and others like it will be doomed to being on here forever...only because when its found out that the "one" we met, was not perfect, we can go back to looking just because they are out there. and available!
I love how the poster said they in 7 years have had 3 wonderfull "long term" relationships.....hmmm, 7 years, 3 "long term" relationships, all long distance? wow! thats a little over two years apiece, and have to run from one right into the next with maybe a small space between "relationships"... I think they are proud of this! me? I do not see that as a good sign myself... at least not for what i deam "long term".
I don't excuse myself from this either, I have been guilty of my own "long term" realtionships....10 years divorced, 4 "relationships, two over three years, two under 8 months. I think the thing people loose site of the most, and i'm not talking to the under 30 crowd, I'm talking to the 50 and mid 50 people, Yes, you're still goodlooking, but the signs of time are starting to show...you don't see it as much in yourself, oh and all the wonderfull people out there say you don't look your age...(yeah right)..
I belive that these are the people who in the end will be affected by this the most, the " too many fish" thing...because while they will get letters, winks whatever now, online...where things are not always as they appear, in real life, you become the smaller fish and the pond gets bigger...then what?
 Warm and Loving Gal
Msg: 186
Posted: 5/11/2010 9:37:32 AM
(And then we have people on here like DreamerZZZ...yikes...)

Yes, there are a lot to choose from. However, the candidates make it simpler for me to narrow them down by putting themselves into categories, eg. "Separated", "Prefer Not to Say" regarding children...(this means they are looking for someone of child-bearing age), "Drink More than 3 x a week"; any question answered "Prefer Not to Say"; "self-employed" (this usually means "I only work when I feel like working"); they give a much younger age than they appear to actually be...how many 48 year olds have those old man jowls ?)...if they have UFC listed as an interest. And then the other half manages to turn me off with their arrogance, their ignorance, their very poor grammar and missed words, their blurry photos or photos with faces scribbled out (eg. they don't care enough to try to make good impression), no photos; or photos with no smile whatsoever, just a cold hard stare...brrrrrr...

And ya know, not everyone on the planet is a red wine fan...in fact some of us detest wine...
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 187
Posted: 5/11/2010 11:32:25 AM

my question is.,,, ARE THERE TOOOOO MANY FISHES IN THE SEA!!!. Are we becoming too picky now that we have so many choices? When gramma met grampa at the box social (whatever that was) at church, did he have this many fish? When our parents met in highschool , didnt they search and choose from the smaller crowd. Now we have the option of thousands.

I think, that relationships and dates, and meetings, are almost like a ballot box.... we look and pick, we order as we would on a new car.. we select our options and if the newest selection... the one we have ordered doesnt come off the line with perfection , we tend to say , OH WELL NEXT.............
............. next ......

if we are back to fishing , we cast, fish a little,, hook and ........... toss that one back, he is too little, she is too big, he is out of season,.... oh god her gills are the wrong colour...............his tail is too short!

The million dollar question!!!!
Going off your car analogy we get a good car drive it and seem happy, then a friend shows up in a nicer model and we just have to have one. Dumping a perfectly good car for a "better" model.
Only to find this model has to have special maintenance that cost much more than the last.
It is not as dependable and the paint has to be waxed everyday to keep its appearance up!!!!
Are there too many fish?
Nope most just don't want what is biting!!! Wanting the trophy fish!!!
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2010 1:01:12 PM
I don't date cold fish, no matter how many there are to choose from. I prefer hot-blooded air-breathers of the human variety.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 189
Posted: 5/11/2010 2:00:01 PM

ARE THERE TOOOOO MANY FISHES IN THE SEA!!!

YES...IF You do not know what you are fishing for.

Give the 5 year old a box of 64 crayolas..they have to chose ONE color to paint the tulips and live with that color forever.

It could take a very long time to choose, picking up one then the other.

Give the same child a box of 5 colors..the child will chose that day.

I think it is knowing what you want, not playing around and testing other "colors" and that comes with experience of what colors work for you and which ones don't.

We can at least hope.

I can eat certain foods everyday of my life and always rejoice in their texture and taste.
Some I love to eat but never everyday for one reason or another.

Find me a purple watermelon, that likes an an emerald green sweet cherry.
 DiannaBall
Msg: 190
Posted: 5/11/2010 2:02:37 PM
May be too many fish but they are all over the size limit LOL ON line is difficult in more way than one. In the beginning before I knew better it was not too bad. But by the 4th meeting of the same old crap it was getting old. The only way to get to know a person is to talk to them off line and in person. Too many fakes and liars on here.
 BBQ Spider
Msg: 191
Posted: 5/11/2010 2:08:39 PM
I don't know but I think that, for good or ill, it's proved to be a pretty consistent and reproducible result that people tend to struggle less in choosing, and remain more satisfied with their choices, when the choices were limited.

And like this
http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2009/07/17/2009-07-17_too_much_of_a_good_thing_study_finds_online_daters_choose_wrong_people_due_to_co.html
 Warm and Loving Gal
Msg: 192
Posted: 5/11/2010 4:38:19 PM

Too many fakes and liars on here.

Amen...I'll drink something other than a glass of red wine to that!
 Maleman999
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2010 6:30:56 PM
The problem is the female fish are swimming upstream and the male fish are swimming downstream, and as they pass each other, most are muttering: "Not my type. Not perfect enough." and keep on swimming.
 Warm and Loving Gal
Msg: 194
Posted: 5/11/2010 6:47:16 PM
The problem is the female fish are swimming upstream and the male fish are swimming downstream, and as they pass each other, most are muttering: "Not my type. Not perfect enough." and keep on swimming.

Exactly right. And those of us who have contacted those 6 or 8 interesting mackerel, salmon and pickled herring who would be perfect for us have either gotten a no thanks or no reply at all, so now we just don't bother.
 KingRomanticRebel
Msg: 195
Posted: 5/13/2010 8:32:49 PM

Yea, we can afford to be way more picky, perhaps, but why's this a bad thing? Divorce rates are on the rise

And we can actually tell from a few "pics" and an "about me" who we will have a true connection with and who we won't be divorcing in a few shot years? Yea, RIGHT!

The only true way to find a connection is to actually meet some of these fishes and
not just say, "na, next" >>>
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 196
Posted: 5/14/2010 6:22:02 AM
I'm not so sure if its picky...or apprehensions from the experiences people have gone thru. Some take the negatives from people from past failed relations, and try to weed out those they think have these things.

Of course this can get blown out of proportion...if these people have a habit of always blaming the other people in these past relations and never themselves...lol.

Then needs and desires can get in the way too...and some will bypass these self imposed protections for the quest of companionship in one form or another...and the downward spiral comtinues and continues...lol.

Then again...I'm not sure about this place...but on another site I was on...the odds were dramatically in favor of the women and it was a literal candy store for the women in choosing men...

I suppose in that case.....a dolfin looks better than a lobster....
 thutch901
Msg: 197
Posted: 5/14/2010 10:13:15 AM
My experience with online dating is analysis paralysis. Or I feel like a salemen on these sites most of the time. So who knows?
-Tordo
 valenciacityx
Msg: 198
Posted: 5/15/2010 1:34:30 AM
I dont know if its too many , because I can function search my self right out of the state.

Lets data dump it shallz we?
woman 35 - 45
Not married
No kids
Not having kids
Doesnt Smoke
Active/average/exercises
under 5-4 (because apparently women dont like short men)
College educated
Has a job.
Has a picture ...... 37 results, now narrow the search that is to with in 75 miles.... and bingo bango bongo, no fish in the state for me
 sanyoman112
Msg: 199
Posted: 5/15/2010 5:49:23 AM
I have to agree on this one.....kind of reminds me of what the caretaker said in the Matrix....with humans the problem is "choice".
LOL

But I do agree, about grandma meeting grandpa at the small town church. Your options were limited, and I kind of wish I had grown up in the 40's or 50's where a lot women were more eager to meet men, and were willing to look past their minor flaws.

Heck, they had socials set up for women to meet men, women would VOLUNTEER to meet soldiers at the USO dance, they'd all line up, waiting for their dance partners to arrive, I think even some felt obligated.

I bet I'd get a lot less rejections during those times as well. lol.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 200
Posted: 5/15/2010 6:19:18 AM
There may be lots of fish here but 99% of the people here are emotionally unstable, liars, and generally not ready for any kind of relationship including friendship and couldn't hold a relationship if there life depended on it.

As someone put it the people here are all bottom feeders but I am here just in case someone sane comes by.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 'toooo many fish in the sea?'