Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > ~ How Does One Get Over The Plateau Hump?~      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Angel_in_jeans
Msg: 26
~ How Does One Get Over The Plateau Hump?~Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Thanks to both of you, I will keep trying. I have been back at it for a few weeks and it is starting to get a little easier. I can remember when I had slipped for a long time and started back at the gym. My goal was to get in the gym, sign in and say hello to the person at the desk 3 times a week. I was always embarrassed to walk back out without working out. . .
 scarletsparrow
Msg: 27
~ How Does One Get Over The Plateau Hump?~
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:05:15 PM
carissima cardio cardio cardio
step up yourwater consumption
hope that helps
 JPitalian
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/7/2005 6:39:25 AM
I would definitely look closely at your diet because you can do all the forced reps, supersets, cardio until you puke, and unless you're eating clean food and low fat/sugars you're not going to be ripped and lean as you could. The main concept of training is to stimulate the muscles and whole body to change and adapt to the stress you put on it. As long as you train hard and consistenly and change it up every few weeks you should be ok. I make sure that I don't do the same workout twice in a row. All you need to do is change the sets, reps, weight, order of exercises, kinds of exercises etc... Check out Bodybuilding.com and look in the exercise section because it has hundreds of different exercises per bodypart. Always do something different so your body can't adapt. But, I honestly feel the key is diet. You have to eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day everyday and keep it low fat, moderate carbs and high protein. I found that eating higher cals for a few days and then eating lower cals for a few works better then anything else I've ever tried. This is called zig-zag dieting and bodybuilders and fitness people use this. It takes planning because you have to know what you're eating but the basic concept is that to burn fat your have to be in a caloric deficit (burning more then eating) and to gain muscle you need a caloric surplus. So, on the high cal days you gain muscle mass, fuel your workouts and replenish the energy stores in your muscles, on the low cal days you burn more fat and focus on that while maintaining the muscle mass. if done properly it works amazing. I did it this past summer and I got my BF done to like 6% or so and waist around 30.5 (normally my waist during the winter is like 33-34). So, I was really ripped. Eat clean foods like potatoes, whole grains, fruits, yams, oatmeal, egg whites, chicken, turkey, fish....all lean stuff. Stay away from sugars and fat. Sugar is just as bad as fat when it comes to gaining and storing fat. Of course you can cheat here and there I mean don't beat yourself up but if you eat clean 90% of the time when you decide to plow that whole pizza and drink on friday night it's not gonna affect your body that much since the rest of the time you're eating right..hope this helps..
 albertagurl
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/7/2005 8:24:51 AM
Hi - first of all good for you for starting a exercise regime and wanting to loose weight - Secondly - when i reached my plateau I tried workingout at a different time of day - that seemed to help and definately altering my routine and useing different weights when I went in - I still worked the same areas but with different weights - keep working at it though - you will suddenly see the weight melt off of your body... Good luck and don't get discouraged - you will getover the hump.
 il mostro
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/7/2005 4:00:24 PM
You seem to have the weight training and conditioning in relative order, I would just keep researching those two aspects of your training to learn as much as you can.

As for diet....if you want to see significant changes quickly, stick to dead animals and green stuff with some omega 3 fats thrown in for good measure. It's really that simple.
 AvidCyclist
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2005 11:18:15 AM
Hi Carissima,

Glad to hear you have set your own health as a priority. Using weight as a guide to weight loss or fitness is not always a true indicater especialy when you first start out. Gain in muscle out weight loss of fat, use you how your clothes fit as an indicater also.

When you do plateau, there is a need for change sometimes, that may be where you calories burned equal your intake. More small meals let your body more efficiently digest food and keep energy level at a consistant higher mark.

Find someone that you enjoy working out with and make that part of your life style.

Dry Roads,

Avid Cyclist
 KittyTat
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/11/2005 6:57:56 PM
Change your exercise routine. YOur body gets used to doing a certain thing and it doesnt become work anymore. You still get results (or just maintain), but sometimes you can sure kick things into high gear if you mix it up a bit.
 Carissima
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/12/2005 9:02:38 AM
Just a special thanks to all of you...namely JPITALIAN, ALBERTAGURL, IL MOSTRO, AVIDCYCLIST & KITTYKAT - thank you for helping me with my "mission"
I know it's a slow process but will keep my head up and do what I gotta do to get the job done.
Thanks to ALL OF YOU who have written with all your encouragements, ideas and great fitness and nutrition "tips to follow" I owe you guys LOL - And please keep them coming. I am all ears!

~ Carissima ~
 breezydays
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/8/2007 4:44:25 PM
i always start with 20 minutes cardio on a bike then when i hit a plateau i now end with an extra ten minutes the added benifit of the extra cardio is good for me and bumped me off the plateau i also started taking green tea extract i like it seems to give me a mild boost if you have hit a plateau it just means you needt o switchup your workout use differnt muscles or machines try swiming or power walking shock your body to kick it in gear
 crispyandtender
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/30/2007 9:47:21 PM
In addition to what you already know about calories in (eating) and calories out (exercise), here are a few ideas that may help you with controlling insulin levels.
2 new studies recently came out with some new info (you can find them online if you poke around a bit)

1) grapefruit actually does help you lose weight (about .5 lbs/week)
2) pharmaceutical grade fish oil (in addition to the tremendous cardiovascular and cognitive benefits) helps boost metabolism. I encourage you not to use non-pharmaceutical grade, as it contains heavy metals. iherb.com sells a great brand very inexpensively.
in addition...
3) try to make sure that all your carbs have at least 4 grams of FIBER per serving.
4) eat as many fruits and veggies as you can

These things have helped me shave off a few pounds when nothing else worked.
 indra
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/31/2007 6:04:05 AM
Everytime I hit a plateau I change up my workout by doing sprints at the beach. Do 100 yard sprints, walk until you catch your breath, and sprint again. Repeat.

It works so many muscles, working against the sand works muscles you just don't use normally, and is sure to stress your muscles sufficiently to exit homeostasis. Plus, you can do it barefoot, AND you can just jump into the water when you are done.

It is fantastic!

Indra
 ffryan
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2007 4:46:09 PM
Change up what you're doing. The human body gets used to the same type of routine over time and stops responding the same way. 90% of changing the way you look is about nutrition so your diet has to be a priority. Workout smart, not necessarily hard.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > ~ How Does One Get Over The Plateau Hump?~