Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Why did you name your children what you did?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FrUiTiE
Msg: 26
Why did you name your children what you did?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
well all mah girls have unique names....for mah first one her name is Teigan (T~gan) Isabella Joy.........first name i just absolutely loved...isabella taken from the italian form of elizabeth( cuz i'm italian)...her other grandma's middle name....and joy...mah momma's middle name...*grins*.......baby #2.....Kaylia (K~leah) Avery Lee.....well with this one i usta babysit a kaylia way back when i was in jr high..and loved the name ever since...avery was mah best friend's input...and i loved it....and lee...is mah middle name...so i hada get that in there sumwhere...haha.....as for da baby's name...it's as follows.......Chriselle (kris~elle) Emma Jordan.......well this one was a lil thoughtful of both her parents....her dad...chris...and me danielle....aww how cute eh....yeah well we call her Kissie now...cuz obviously me n her dad rn't together..haha...and i can't stand the name CHRIS...YUCK!!...anyways kissie suits her...she's always kissin everyone...lol...and for her middle name emma i think i watched too many Friend's episodes....Ross n Rachel's baby is named Emma,....and i just loved it...so i stole it...lmfao...and now for jordan...*rolls 'er eyes*...aiight here goes....mah ex had NO say in the names i was givin our children...and on the last one he wanted to name her....Chriselle michael jordan....C'MONNNNNNNNNNNNNN i dont fukkin think so...rite?..haha...i wasn't even allowed to spell jordan the way i wanted....jordynn...anyways now that she's here with us...i wouldn't change her name for da world....i love all mah babies' names...so unique...and i named 'em all...*big smiles*
 Melissanicole
Msg: 27
Why did you name your children what you did?
Posted: 10/25/2005 6:52:54 PM
Well I originally liked Jared, but paternal grandpa gave us so much slack about him being referred to as the subway guy. We never did decide on a name before he was born. Water broke at 29 weeks 5 days, he was born at 30 weeks and a day. The NICU nurses kept whining about how they needed something to put on his crib card and if I couldnt give them a name it would say "baby A". So, I picked the name we had considered the least, MASON, and I am soooo glad I did. Its unique, but not too quirky, strong, and it fits him perfectly. Once in a while I imagine calling him jared and say "what the h*ll was I thinking?"

If I would have had a girl, it would have been audrey... always loved that name, classy and elegant, but not too common in this generation.

Fruitie... Im really not trying to be mean, but your post is very difficult to read.
 justasweetone
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/25/2005 7:19:02 PM
lol Mel.. Not for a Southern girl, doll... Funny thing... I didn't have any trouble with it. Could be because people actually talk like that around here...
 icalla
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/25/2005 8:05:12 PM
justasweetone, we have similar stories.

I also let my ex name him after both of his grandfathers. From the second my son was born, I regretted it, because I speak spanish to my son, and neither John nor Jack works very well in Spanish. When we split, I absolutely could not bring myself to call him my ex's Dad's name. Eventually, with lots of counsel and support from friends and family (most of whom were laughing at me), I started calling him by his middle name, And now, everyone calls him by my Dad's name, and my ex is the one who regrets it!

My son's second middle name is Mazal (means luck in Hebrew), which is my Mom's maiden name, and has a whole history behind it dating back to the inquisition.

I am loving hearing all these stories!
 justasweetone
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/25/2005 8:13:08 PM
I love them too, Icalla. Amazing where people come up with names. I've noticed several who apparently took the time to look up what the names mean, or have just named them after family. Some things never change, I suppose. I have one of those *oddball* spelled middle names, myself. My father gave it to me. I asked him a few years back where he came up with it. LOL He said, and I quote:

"sh*t girl, I was too stoned to know what the hell I was doing"

lmao

Dee
 Prinzess*Fiona
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/25/2005 8:31:39 PM
Hey sister - lets not go there - I was named what I was cuz I was my parents' "love-child" - my mom said it was all my dad's fault!

In HS my friends used to harrass me incessantly - so I made up a story about it:

I was a 70s child - and my mom was always the "cool" mom according to my friends (rolls eyes) - so one day when they were giving it to me about my name - I (in a very deadpan face) said - "ya wanna know the real story? well here ya go"

"My parents were hippies (not even close - artistic license) and my dad was smoking some shrooms when my mom went into labor. The doctor wouldnt give her any drugs - so my dad slipped her a tab of acid. When she delivered they were both still high - so it was either Rainbow Sunshine Moonflower or *my name* (which translates to love) - so since I was their "love child" that's the one I got stuck with"

A couple of days later, my friends were over & they started grilling my mom about it - she just rolled with it - confirmed my story. They all freaked out! My mom & I finally came clean, but I dont think that they believed me even then - the story was soo much better than the truth...

C
 icalla
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/25/2005 8:54:17 PM
Those are both awesome stories!

My own name (again so much nicer sounding in Spanish) was not so common in Mex, but in high school, there were 5 of us with the same name in one class. It was awful. At least my son won't have to deal with that. Just a lot of "how do you SPELL that?"
 kootenaymommy
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/25/2005 10:55:10 PM
I had 2 names picked out for my lil one and when he was born it was desided that his name would be Quintyn Zander. If I had a girl it would have been Zoe-Lee Marie (After my ex's mom). Had the girls name picked out from Day one but the boys name not till like i was 8 months pregnant....lol But there has been some wonderful names posted here. I prefer diffrent and unique names cuz I hated being in school and knowing like 5 people with the same name.
 cellabear
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2005 11:23:44 PM
My ex and I had our first child's names picked out at the beginning of the pregnancy, Jesse James for a boy, after the outlaw, and Jessica Jolene for a girl, Jolene after his Mom's middle name. Well, I always wanted to name my first son after my Dad, who died when I was 8, but my ex didn't want that since he had a brother named David. Well as soon as I had our son, the nurse asked for a name and my ex said, "David." We gave him his Dad's middle name of Oren, which I spelled different then his Dad's middle name. Then when I was pregnant with out second child, the same thing with Jesse James and Jessica Jolene. As soon as I had my daughter and the nurse asked for a name, my ex says, "Ariel Marie." After the lil mermaid and my middle name. I have a uniqe name myself. Cella. My dad wanted to name me Marcella but my Mom said no and they decided on Cella.
 livewirehere
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/26/2005 12:15:36 AM
LMAO~~ I named my daughter after the Bionic Woman, Lindsay Wagner ((she doesn't even know that is))... and my son ((Nick)) is named after an ex-boyfriend from high school ((and my ex doesn't know that part))
 kayleesdaddy
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/26/2005 9:06:21 AM
i chose kaylee cuz kay is moms middle name and lee is dads middle name kaylee
 Diggy03
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2005 9:15:07 AM
Davina is from the movie American History X and I thought it was a very pretty name.
Briana (her middle name) is both her dad's (Brad) and my (Diana) first names combined

Besides I wanted a unique name for my child as they are unique
 abcdabcd
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/26/2005 9:24:44 AM
i named my daughter isis for that same reason.
 pearlystar2
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2005 9:24:49 AM
i chose Trent for my son ... when i named him no one had that name now thats all i hear .... lol ...
and my daughter is Talyssa .... wanted to stick with the T's so i stuck a t into alyssa ... its different and her middle name Pearl-Renee ... very different .. i like it that .. no one will ever have her name
 mcbobly
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2005 10:21:05 AM
I used to love that show Family Ties and my fav character was Alex P. Keaton so I named my son after him, Alexander. He digs the name and I feel good about giving it to him.
 Mae B
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2005 5:08:55 PM
I have 3, AIDAN, I had always liked that name and the actor Aidan Quinn and thought at the time it was original, but then the Flood of Aidans followed in the next year . So for the next one I wanted something original, we didn't know the sex so my mom just told me to name he/she Sam or Max, it was simple... So I was watching the movie "The Ring" (yes creepy I know) and the boys name was Aidan, so we named our daughter SAMARA, which is also right under my moms name in the baby name book I had. The third baby was a complete surprise (pregnant day before the vasectomy literally, girls are 13 months apart) and we were nameless. So I was flipping through all the baby name websites for a week after, and I swear I found LAYLIA (lail-e-ah) somewhere but haven't been able to find it again.
 Quack
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2005 5:54:51 PM
I named my son after both my grandfathers, Andrew Peter. My daughter I named because I always like the name and my ex did also. Her name is Alana (a lane a)
 testbunny69
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/26/2005 6:33:49 PM
I named my son Mathew. His father gave him his middle name of Joseph. His adoptive parents renamed him Scott William (which is kinda funny because I have a cousin named Scott and my uncle's name is William).

My ex and I wanted to be unique with the girls, but he's a little too conservative...no "weird" names for him! I wanted Aislynn, but settle with Shelby for the first. Anne was the name that sounded best to us for a middle name.

For our youngest, we both liked Megan. I wanted to spell it Maeghan. He said no H, so it's simply Maegan. We were both stumped for picking out a middle name. She was 4 days old when I saw the name Amber. He liked it, so her name is Maegan Amber.

Now, before anyone can ask, my son is 20, my girls are 7 and 5 and I'm 36. I was too young and immature to raise a baby at 16, but mature enough to realise it. I'm just very happy to know him and his parents now! We met 2 years ago...the best day of my life!
 jag1977
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/30/2005 8:40:15 AM
My boys are named Storm and Skylar. Storm is named that cause of the fact I love thunderstorms. and Skylar is named that cause he come from the grace of god.
 fieryice2
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/30/2005 10:03:48 AM
My son is a Junior. I was dead set against it to the moment I put pen to paper, and should have continued to refuse... hindsight's 20/20... but the x was adamant....

My daughter's first name is after her paternal grandmother, whom I loved dearly and she died in 1996 (daughter born in '99). I just added an A to the end so it rolled off the tongue better.
Her middle name is after her maternal great grandmother, whom I loved and cherished, and she died in 1989 after a 16 year battle with cancers. I had spent the last 9 weeks of her life caring for her, and I was only 9 years old.

Had I been allowed the names I picked before I was even of the age to have children, I would have had:
Dakota Chyenne (boy)
Destiny Rain (girl)
 purplesky
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/30/2005 11:30:48 AM
i was going to name my oldest daughter Hayley, but my ex husbands cousin who had her baby 4 months earlier decdied she liked that name and named her child that. after that i couldn't decide what to name her, my ex came up with Paige, a name that never even crossed my mind, but as soon as he said it, i loved it. so we named her Paige Hayley-Lynn. My youngest daughter's name is the suggestion of her father as well, Brook Lynn, and it's a good thing that he named her, cuz he's only seen her twice for about 20 minutes each time...at least he'll have something to remember her by.
 former beach girl
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/30/2005 12:24:50 PM
We had no idea what our child was going to be so with my ex's family being from scotland we choose a first name that could be for a boy or girl. cameron and then since dad had flaming red hair and the movie little mermaid was the hit of the season we went with ariel. lol funny thing is shes blonde not a ting of red in her hair anywhere. but she has that same personality as arielthe mermaid, very independant and outgoing...

what about nick names??? any good ones??? my daughter is snot... only becuase my nephew is booger.... and runny nose would have been to much..
 gravy216
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/30/2005 5:15:15 PM
My ex and I named our children with the idea of the first letter of the alphabet. Also we decided not to name them something unique because everyone else was doing just that. Aaron and Amber are the names of my two. Now they do have unique names in school because everyone elses names are those hunter, dylan, brianna, and so forth names. My son has 7 dylans in his calss. he is the only aaron.

my ex-wife had another child with her husband 2 years ago and she named him asher. i thought she should have started his name with a "b", for the second marriage. LOL
 ab1972
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/14/2006 4:16:07 PM
My darn ex husb was from new york, he wanted Brooke then lynn fo rmiddle name.......so tahts my daughters name........so THEN we hatch a second bean head (lol) and i wanted one name, he wanted Ethan..........i look back now, been divorced 4 yrs, WHY DID I NOT step up and pick one name?????????????? im not a weat tit either! haah
 cageanneky
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/14/2006 4:22:21 PM
I have 3 boys ...ty, tan, nick. so fitting like the boat, my marriage sank too. lol
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Why did you name your children what you did?