Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Why did you name your children what you did?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WWCND
Msg: 51
Why did you name your children what you did?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
My eldest was essentially named by my sister. My ex and i had argued about baby names(he wasnt even her father) and we had agreed on Madeline Alora.. when I got rid of him, I got rid of Alora, and she was named Madeline Aurora.

My second baby, after much fighting with her father, I finally agreed to call her Danica Selene(mostly to get him off my back) before he decided he liked that name, he was dead SET on naming her Macaya Marie (a name he had picked out with his previous wife for their child(who ended up being a boy)) Can you believe the nerve?! Anyway, when he decided work was more important than being there when I gave birth, She came home nameless.. The next day I sent pictures to my sisters and asked what name she looked like. She became Natalie Selene.
 jodie1985
Msg: 52
Why did you name your children what you did?
Posted: 5/14/2006 4:46:04 PM
my daughter i fought to the end to name her azrealle witch has 2 meanings it is hebru for god helped me or god is my helper. and Muslims believe it is the angel of death ( but not a bad angel) just gods right hand man the one who punishes evil. it was also the cat off the smurffs 4 those who actually remember lol
 berkana
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/14/2006 6:34:44 PM
I chose my daughter's first name after a character in one of my favourite books. Her second name is MacKenzie, which for some reason I just love (although I know way too many MacKenzies, of various spellings, and of both sexes), and her third name is Mae, which is my mother's middle name. Her father had absolutely no say in choosing her names...I gave him a list of second names and told him to cross off the two he liked the least. Her first and third name were set in stone. Thank goodness she was born somewhere that the mother is the only one who can fill out the baby's paperwork after they're born!!

If I have another girl some day, she'll either be Aoibheann Ceilidh Niamh, or Delaney Caoilfhionn Lynn (try pronouncing those...they're beautiful names, but I refuse to use "americanized" spellings for them). Boys names I'm not quite so certain of. I like the name Daelan Ciaran Shea, and I like the names Jared and Aodhan as well.
 brandiw
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/14/2006 6:39:36 PM
If I ever lose my mind and have another child ( I love them but two are enough) I want Ethan for a boy and Catriona, Siobhan or Damhnait for a girl.
 n8ive_mandy
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/14/2006 7:07:05 PM
In my family (actually my mom started it so its recent), there is a tradition to name the frist boy and first girl something that starts with an "A", and then give them our last name, so that they are "A.A" names. Soo, my son's name is Adrian Jacob A*****, or AJ for short. Had he been a girl, She would have been Adrienne Cynthia A*****. Funny thing is, I got the name from a cartoon that I watched as a kid; Cybersix. The main character was a super heroin, whose cover-up name was Adrian (she posed as a male teacher by day), a very sweet soul and devoted friend. I plan on having more children some day, and hey! I've got the naming thing done already! If its a boy, he will be called Matthew Mark (from the bible and in honour of my brother who passed away before he was born). I also love Julian... lol. I'm a huge Beatles fan, and love John Lennon's first son's name, Julian... I also love the song "Hey Jude" lol... THAT'S IT! I've gotta go turn on my Beatles CD RIGHT NOW!!! lol
 Football Mom
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/14/2006 7:52:14 PM
My son's name is Adam and I had always thought that was a strong name and had always wanted to name my son Adam. My ex hated the name and said he knew an Adam whom he couldn't stand and he wanted to name him Sheldon. I absolutely did Not want to name my son Sheldon. So finally after him watching what I went through he said I could name him anything I wanted! So of course I picked Adam. My daughter's name is Alyssa and I got that from Alyssa Milano and thought it was a pretty name. I wanted to name her Amber but my ex's cousin's name was Amber. Olivia was another choice but my ex really loved the name Alyssa so we agreed on that one. I also like the name Brooklyn but didn't think of it till later.
 unme4fun
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2006 8:11:43 PM
I wanted something a little bit different with my first and my best friend came up with the middle name so my daughters name is Ashlyn Brook and with the second one her father was called J.C. and wanted her named after him and my best friend came up with middle name again so her name is Jacy LeighAnn. My father doesnt like her name though, hes a big Beatles fan and wanted me to name her Lennon but I didnt listen.
 justjazz
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/14/2006 9:54:16 PM
My daughter is named for St. Cecilia, that patron saint of musicians. My son Samuel is named after an uncle...and no not the guy with the tall hat and striped pants that points alot
 DeeLiteFul
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/14/2006 11:38:26 PM
I always said if I had a boy it would always be the fathers name so I had a boy and its Richard

With my daughter I had 2 names 1 was Amanda Marie and the other Christina Marie and decided on Christina Marie after I gave birth to her I relized there was a girl I use to babysitt a very long time ago was named Christina Marie lol
 tigerinwhite
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/15/2006 6:30:58 AM
I named my Daughter Miya

It popped into my head the moment i found out i was pregnant. mind you i didnt know i was having a girl until the doctor put her on my chest and said "its a girl" i was sooooo surprised! everyone thought i was having a boy ,even me because of how i was carying
(the ultrasound couldnt see the babys whooie when i was pregnant so we didnt know)
 *Em*
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/15/2006 7:38:11 AM
Alice Rose-was 99.9% convinced she was a boy, when i gave birth to her i was so shocked/tired/loopy that i decided to name her Alice Rose without thinking. it wasnt till a few hours later that i realised i had named her after two close work friends lol..name suited her so i kept it :P

thomas...was gonna be joe but changed my mind whilst in labour.

olivia-i wanted florence but husband refused so she was born baby Laura..didnt suit her so we chose olivia on the spur of the moment.

Max was born baby george but because he was the biggest baby the hospital had seen for some time (11.11lb), the nurses thought he should be given a fitting name for his size..hence max-maximum size ;)
 delytful
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/15/2006 7:43:41 AM
The last one was a complete shock. The pregnancy test was just a JOKE. Went in for a regular exam and jokingly told the doc to go ahead as he came to that one on the long list of tests he could/wanted to do. I was even on my cycle at the time. Came back positive and I literally felt the walls closing in on me. Her initials are R.E.A.L. to remind me that this was really happening.
 jinplus1
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:46:22 AM
I wanted to name my daughter Poppy, but having a floral name myself I realised how much stick she'd get from the other kids. So I looked for a name that you don't come across often and that is virtually impossible to take the p*ss out of and decided on Stephanie. Her second name is Lea and that came about because her dad wanted Leah and I wanted Lee so we compromised on Lea cos then she can decide how she wants to pronounce it (I also liked the spelling cos it means meadow and they always remind me of summer lol).
 Vancouverette
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:49:45 AM
I named my son's first name after the most adorable little boy (who in fact) resembles him .. but 6 years prior to my knowledge. His second name was named after me. After 3 daughters my parents were hoping for a boy and wanted to use this name for me. Too bad for them (but I took the good name). LOL
 Dinnie
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:50:46 AM
I named my son because it was a name i always liked it is a common name. Having grown up with a name that no one had EVER seen or heard before drove me nuts, could never find it on anything, so i decided that it is great to be unique but i figured my child could be that way with other things. Nothing against having an"odd" name but i know what it is like to have a name that truely is not a name.
 KellyBelly85
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:51:20 AM
That's an awesome name for you munchkin, I named mine with names that go with our different backgrounds. Her middle name is Davan although pronounced Davon, because I had wanted, if i ever had a boy to name him David after my dad and Davan is the female version of it
 jenw710
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/15/2006 11:42:14 AM
I tried to find names for mine that were not going to be the same as everyone else, but also that weren't so different I had to repeat it 10 times before people understood. I am a Jenny and there were always 3 or 4 on my class growing up which I hated.
 lonely femme
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/15/2006 12:10:22 PM
Well my son got an original name but why I chose it ( Nicolas ) is because every Nick I ever knew was very good looking. I didn't like the way it looked with the H so I left it out. And of course he is just the cutest little thing, and he's got those deep brown eyes that I cannot say no too. Almost 3 and he know's how to make those eyes work already.
 sh ellsbells
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/15/2006 1:01:20 PM
My daughter (20) is named Lucy, after a beautiful little girl I used to look after when I was younger (the name always stuck). Son (10) is Liam James Dean - it's alot better than Maradonna or Pele from his soccer mad Dad. Liam because I liked it, James because it went with Liam and Dean after his Dad (you thought it was after the actor didn't you) and second son (9) Dean Louis Edwin - again same reasoning - Dad wanted some sportspersons name and I put my foot down so I suggested Dean (his Dad's name), Louis was better than Satchmo (his dad was a little mad) and I had a request to give him his paternal grandfather's name as he passed away days before the birth, hence Edwin (which he hates, but I guess with all the other names he doesn't really have to use).
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/15/2006 7:08:14 PM
Too cute, topic! ;)

My kidlets are older...my oldest son always gets asked if he is named after the famous basketball player....Michael Jordan! LOL But I swear...I chose Jordan 1st...Michael sounded right with it! (I don't think MJ was even famous 23 years ago?)

My next child is....no laughing...it is a family name...Nicole Mignonne. Mignonne is pronounced two different ways...the American way is min-yon like...yes...a steak. In France it is more like Min-Yo with a long o. My mother wanted me to name her after my grandmother but it IS unique!

The twins are...Ashleigh Rene' and Nathaniel John. I loved the name Ashley ever since I first heard it on some soap opera...wanted to name Nikki, Ashleigh...but Ashleigh Mignonne did not sound right! LOL Rene is their fathers middle name...Nathan was lengthened to Nathaniel so it would match his twins...and John is my gramps name. :)
 smom2
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:38:17 PM
My girls are named after people Analisa Letice is named after their Godmothers (Beverly Annalisa & Nalinie Letise although I was high on pain killers and didn't have time to check spelling LOL) and Sharyce Ardell which is half my mothers name (Sharon) and half his mother's name (Joyce) and Ardell is my mother's middle name and my now late Grandmother's name. We call them Lisa and Rycee though.
 shadowall
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/16/2006 12:15:09 AM
My son is Layne (said lane, not wayne or blaine), indirectly from Alice in Chains (layne from a.i.c was still kicking when my son was born), Kurtis, indirectly from Kurt Cobain, and Montgomery, after my bro/best friend, Z*dads last name*. He can finally say all 4 of his names in the right order now! lol. We got a ton of flack from family for the names, but now they love them. Had he been a girl, he would have been signa (no, not said like xena) mackenzie A*my last name* Z*Dads last name*. My last name was a second middle name. Our biggest issue was what last name to use: did we want him at the end of roll call in school, or the beginning. Somewhat glad I didn't have a girl, looking back on the names. hehe.

-Lee
 BlueRoze
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2006 4:11:45 AM
My first born was named accidently.... I was coming out of ansthetic after a long labour and a c-section and they asked what her name was going to be and I tried to say Elizabeth (after a best friend of mine) and some how they heard Alysha and wrote it on her crib card. I ended up liking it but didn't like thier spelling so changed it to Elysia. My second one was supposed to be Kristin Ann Marie for a girl or Christen James if it was a boy but once She was born she just didn't look like a Kristin but Ann Marie came out so nicely so that she was named.

My third was born also by C-section but i remained awake ...... i had several names picked out for him but after he was born he wasn't crying or anything and the staff tried to distract me from that fact so asked what i was going to name him ..... his father spoke up "she wants to name him zachary ryan or aaron jesse or something like that I just want him to be named something Normal" well the staff started calling him Norm...... sorry but i wouldn't accept that as I had pictures of Cheers running through my head with a big guy at the end of the bar for the rest of his life. I said"if he like his dad it would be good name" well he broke down and decided to call him Aaron but said that it should be spelt Aron not with two A's.

My Fourth finally got the name my first one was supposed to have Elizabeth

My Fifth and Final got his names from 2 of his grandpas Wilfred (my mom's dad), Gordon (my Dad's Dad) and his Dads middle name Eugene ..... Wilfred Eugene Gordon.
 raspberry83
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/16/2006 4:11:46 AM
I had four names I couldn't decide between: Jack, Ari, Thomas and Caelan. I chose my sons name because it was unique and had its meaning was special:)
 Bryn69ca
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/16/2006 5:44:15 AM
Cole (m)- the transport truck company, i like trucks lol
Kaleb (m)- I worked with a guy whos name was Caleb and I though it was cute
Jenden (f)- Last name of a soldier in the book "all quiet on the western front"
Cooper (m)-dump truck/crane company
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Why did you name your children what you did?