Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What makes a bad impression on a first date with you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 the_brat
Msg: 26
What makes a bad impression on a first date with you?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
making the entire conversation about them.....I tend to ask questions to keep the conversation going, and it's a huge red flag when they *not once* show similar interest in me/my experience/views
 ses1973
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What makes a bad impression on a first date with you?
Posted: 10/30/2005 8:18:42 AM
^^^^I agree with you 100%.
 chesticalz
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/30/2005 8:25:07 AM
A big turn off for me is when were sitting havin dinner or just newhere in general and she starts doing her make up...unno y i just figure if i'm out with u to begin with i obviously like the way u look u dont need 2 be checkin your mirror every 10 min or askin me if u look ok...once is ok but not all the time....just gets annoying after awhile...and if ur jsut fishing for compliments goin about it the wrong way, i tend to compliment woman enough no need 2 go fishing 4 them.
 forums_only
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/30/2005 9:54:06 AM
Mojo, you make an excellent point that I never thought of. Thank you! :)

Stupid as it may sound, I guess I've been so used to kissing on the first date, it never occurred to me that he could be interested and not kiss me on the first date!!! Okay call me stupid, but at least I'm big enough to admit I'm wrong!!! (I would have preferred that the guy with the tongue had refrained. lol - also, he was more attractive in his picture...) lol

Thanks, Mojo! :)
 Coastergal
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2005 10:22:58 AM
I don't expect.... or want a guy to make a move on a 1st date......
I look for the body language... you can gauge if they are interested in you and visa versa.....

Do you all lean in to talk to eachother..... touch an arm... leg... back..... flirty eye contact....

BAD Impressions... OOH yeah......
-When a guy walks in front of me....
-When they talk and chew with their mouths opened....
-When they talk talk talk.... without engaging an actual conversation.....
-When they talk BADLY about their ex...........
-When they talk about sex... and how many times you like it!!!!!
-When they show up with wrinkled clothes..... chipped teeth........
-When they are rude to servers... or anyone else.....

Wow... I'm not sounding very nice.. I BETTER stop!!!!!!
 hismuse
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/30/2005 11:33:26 AM
Not smiling..AT ALL!
 `EMMA`
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/30/2005 12:56:19 PM
I'm surprised that no one has commented on the date who comes on way too strong, way too fast. I'm thinking about a recent guy I met, who on the first date, gushed that I was the type of woman he could fall in love with. Sorry, people, but I don't find that romantic or flattering. I find it premature. Even if the person actually believed that, it is inconsiderate to tell me because it begs some kind of answer and the assumption is that I, too, may be feeling the same way. What if I'm not? It's awkward. It's also a red flag signaling a needy person on the other end, one who thinks he must give utterance to every stray thought that comes into his head.

Ok, I'm going to duck now because I expect there will be a lot of fallout from this one...LOL
 beckandcallgirl
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/30/2005 1:17:49 PM
My first dates have been drastically limited in recent years, however, my twenties had its share of good and bad first dates.

We have covered hygiene, ex's, sex, kissing...

Bad behaviour

Name Dropping!
Looking everywhere But your date
Being significantly late (or not showing up at all)
Handing me the cheque (He asked, not me, and I would have been happy to go dutch) - When I signed the reciept, he quipped "I'll buy next time". I smiled and said "That won't be necessary, really."
Too much cologne (people in the theatre actually moved seats he was so overpowering) this one goes for girls too
Changing destinations - especially if the skirt and heels that would have worked for lunch won't be appropriate for the boating.
Slobbery kisses. Honestly - this never works, so figure out a way to kiss me without chapping my face. And never, ever stick your slobbery tongue in my ear. Figure out a better way to do it.
if you are going to go on more than one date in a day - wipe all traces of the first dates lipstick from your mouth, (cheek, neck, etc). (my friend experienced this - was not impressed)

Good behaviour

A little courtesy on both sides - opening car doors, sliding chairs out etc and women accepting this courtious behaviour.
At the end of the date - be Honest about the chances of a second date. If neither of us say "Let's do this again" or "I will call" or any variation of those things, and I am not 'feeling it' I am going to conclude that it was a pleasant evening, but one not bearing repeating.
men, take the kiss. Lean in and 3 seconds on the lips. Thats all it takes. If she grabs you back, you are good to go. If she pulls back and makes excuses (women, don't make excuses, just feel the darn kiss and make that decision - if its not working, then say it).
already mentioned - courtesy to wait staff, and others around.
For both - Listen more than you speak. You'll be surprised what you learn.

That's all for now - great topic!

Dorie - still swimming, still solo.
 rubert
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2005 1:24:08 PM
Wow, I feel the same way.

I hate the tongue all the time.

I always wonder where it was last!

I don't beleive in sex on the first date.

A kiss may be nice. But not treated like a Hooker!

Of course, that's only my opinion.
 forums_only
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/2/2005 3:02:12 PM
Thanks for the comments guys and gals! :) Hope to hear more from the peanut gallery! :)
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/2/2005 3:10:07 PM
The only first date that I've had that was truly horrible (and I've had plenty that were dull, but dull certainly isn't horrible). As with all first dates, I like to ask a lot of questions (as most people should do, but keep them light-hearted), and I try to keep them open-ended. The worst one was when this woman wouldn't answer anything longer than one sentence, and acted bored with the questions. Ugh. That date was beyond dull; it was comatose.
 rainbow_fish
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/2/2005 3:22:11 PM
bad impressions I have met are:
manic depression, alcoholism, sex addiction, immaturity and irresponsible lifestyle,
ex wife stalking from a car near where we are..... is carrying a roll of duct tape and rope in the front seat of his car...... smiles too much....
and some other stuff but i don't want to fill up the whole thread telling about it
 pandorarevealed
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/2/2005 3:22:22 PM

-When a guy walks in front of me....

That ends it for me right there. I automatically assume they aren't interested, and it makes me feel instantly insecure!

How odd is that? I wan't the guy at my side or maybe behind me. ONLY in front of me if he is holding my hand and leading me through a crowded place.
 Cuddlebear37
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/2/2005 3:28:44 PM
What makes a bad frist impression for me is when I ask were the other person might want to go and I hear "you decide" , and when I do I hear complaints about the place I might have picked. And yea turn off your cell phone.
 PJ-Colo
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/2/2005 3:40:35 PM
Bringing your kids on a first date, especially if you *fail* to mention that you are bringing your kids.

This particular female then wanted to know if I was prepared to make a commitment to her kids, then and there.

Don't get me wrong. I like kids. Also, I understand and respect the fact that single parents need to be there for their kids first.

I just don't think it's fair to subject your kids to me on the first date. ;)
 beckandcallgirl
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/5/2005 8:13:17 AM

wanted to know if I was prepared to make a commitment to her kids, then and there.

I can understand where she is coming from - but she went about it all wrong, not only subjecting her kids to you (you being an adult and fully in control of your feelings, actions and emotions), but also subjecting you to her kids (who don't understand any of this).

What she probably wanted to know - was if you were to get together, would you be as committed to her kids as you would be to her?

Taking this to the single parents thread....
 UlaLume
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/5/2005 8:37:36 AM
Some you all have said:

being rude to people (presumably wait staff)
going on about ex'es
b.o./bad breath, lousy attire
too much cologne. That would end the date actually, I'm very allergic. I would not be able to breathe.

I wouldn't care too much if they made a move or not. Nor would I care if they cracked dirty jokes. I would get turned off by racist jokes/comments, though.

Not talking very much. Not that we have to talk non-stop, but save the comfortable silences for after we actually know eachother.

Interrupting me. One-upping me.

Bad-mouthing people. Ex'es or anyone else.
 Bikeman_
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/5/2005 8:55:50 AM
Bad first date impressions:
(1) General cold fish attitude
(2) While having a conversation, spending more time looking around than looking at me
(3) General drama queen attitude (like having to find something wrong about all of the food, her drink, etc)
(4) Unflattering clothing

APrettyBlonde32:
he didn't make the first move (or even show that he liked me until I asked)

A guy has got to size the lady up quickly on this point. Otherwise the date is doomed to fail. I agree with you Blonde, if the lady makes this move first it could me misunderstood as an invitation to sex. Now ladies, if you want to have first date sex, make that move. Otherwise, it would be you that was making the bad first date impression.

Blonde, what did this poor guy do that made you think he was indifferent to you until you asked him? Maybe you weren't picking up on any of his signals. I dunno, you tell me.
 Puckerdillo
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/5/2005 9:02:39 AM
fux0ring with cell phone, shut that pos off
being a first class biaytch, if I want that shit I'll do a booty call on my ex
 Bikeman_
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/5/2005 9:07:21 AM

coastergal:
I don't expect.... or want a guy to make a move on a 1st date......
I look for the body language... you can gauge if they are interested in you and visa versa.....Do you all lean in to talk to eachother..... touch an arm... leg... back..... flirty eye contact....

What do you consider to be an inappropriate first date move? Kissing and more intimate contact? I'm all for flirting, winking, witty banter. Arm and back touching isn't innocent enough, but leg touching? To me that's a move. But I like it!
 Tinkle
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/5/2005 12:49:00 PM
Wonder if OP's date is going to read this thread heh.

BAd impressions? Boogers, BO, farts would be some.
 pinkladyrose
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2008 5:51:58 AM
I PERSONALLY WILL NEVER GO OUT ON A DATE WITH A MAN THAT I CAN'T SEE FIRST A PICTURE OF. I HAD A BLIND DATE AT A NICE RESTARANT WITH A BLIND DATE AND I WAS READY TO LEAVE AS SOON AS I GOT THERE. HE WAS A NICE MAN BUT WAS NOT HANDSOME OR TALL ENOUGH FOR ME. CAME UP TO MY BOOBS. I FELT LIKE HE WAS STARING AT MY BOOBS THE WHOLE DINNER.

I LIKE THE FREE DATING SITES
POF,

IF A MAN CAN'T PUT UP A RECENT PHOTO THEN DON'T WASTE MY TIME.
 dekomisier
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/3/2008 9:06:14 AM
For me, when the person your with doesn't appear to be authentic.
 Schadenfreudian
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/3/2008 10:32:40 AM
#1 bad impression:

She asks, "What makes a bad impression on a first date with you?"
 ChildfreeGlow
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/3/2008 10:38:20 AM
Bad breath
Cologne/After shave I can smell from a distance more than 3 inches from his skin
Rude to anyone
Brags about what he has or does (confidence is nice, but acting like he is waiting for me to start oohing and aahing is a real turnoff)
Sexually too aggressive
Never lets there be a moment of silence between us
Talks about ex

I actually had one guy say to me while I was answering a question he had asked, "I can't understand a word you are saying because I just want to look at you," as if that was supposed to be a compliment. Newsflash, a woman would have to be pretty darn insecure about her looks to consider it a compliment for a man to tell her he has no interest in what she thinks 'cause she's so hot. Excuse me?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What makes a bad impression on a first date with you?