Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Let I and I praise classic Reggae      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 parallax
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Let I and I praise classic ReggaePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
'Lionel Aitken - Pioneer of Jamaican Music' is an interesting album of stuff recorded mainly in the 50's. There's a lot of precursive stuff on it for both reggae and ska. Recording quality is about as good as you could hope for something that old.

The album also has a song titled 'Green Banana' which is noteworthy for this site!
I try to avoid emoticons, but it's needed here:
 uniongary
Msg: 27
Let I and I praise classic Reggae
Posted: 1/1/2006 8:49:40 PM
I was glad to see that a reference was even made to Prince Buster, give me a good Skatalies album anyday, This thread just does my heart proud. These days I've been appreciating Dub more and more, Upsetters, King Tubby, ....don't get me statrted, i hafta go to work tomorrow!
 blue_eyes3
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/2/2006 5:03:25 AM
Bob Marley of course is #1 and always will be. But I also like Peter Tosh, Freddie MacGregor, Aswad, Third World......the list goes on!
 I_AM_A_MONKEY
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:46:27 PM
Heartbeat music, Roots Rockers, Yeah!

Hey check out a new dude called Nanko, hes gonna be a big star soon. Watch these dudes too: I Wayne, Richie Spice and Gypian. Yeah these dudes should be all over the place.

On the dancehall ting, Bounti, Sizzla, Beenie, Ele, Buju and Assasin just keep going. Bounti sing too now!

Its all Classic man! So much talent!!!

Look at www.dubvendor.co.uk they have everything you need!

EmpressV
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/3/2006 9:40:49 PM
Blessed! Jah Bless...Crown Prince of Reggae Music....Dennis Brown
I love the old school...Studio One, Lovers Rock, Dancehall...its all good!
Listen Lyrics an you will feel what Reggae does to ones soul.
Jah know.
 uniongary
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/4/2006 10:10:46 PM
Though I do have to say (baring a couple of songs) the new Damian Marley is pretty solid. I still have "Welcome to Jamrock" going through my noodle
 xxxskincorexxx
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/5/2006 1:18:23 PM
Alot of good reggae out there but I love Bad Brains .... hardcore and reggae .... dont think many bands could of pulled it off
 Cupidon blond
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/19/2006 11:08:02 PM
Yellow Man - zung gu zung zugu zung gu zeng
 grungelives
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/25/2006 12:17:07 PM
Bob Marely's the best! I especially like "one love" by Bob.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/26/2006 5:07:12 PM
OTB,You can find lots of preMarely music but it won't be Reggae.
I think some mistakenly site Calypso as an influence in Ska and Reggae but they often don't realize that Jamaica had its OWN stlye of "folk" music that was similar to Calypso called Mento which actually was the influence. Mento, Blues and R&B(actually what was called "race music" (RockNRoll BEFORE it was labeled) in the 40's) gave birth to Ska.Ska fathered Punk and Rocksteady. Rocksteady and another sound used in a Jamaican spiritual movement called the Nyabinghi sound(Ugandan/Ethiopian resistance musical infleunce) then gave us Reggae. If you wish to explore those genres(preMarley) also checkout Pocomania.

Freddy "Toots" Hibbert,Bob Marley, Oswald "Count Ossie" Williams, Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh,Jimmy Cliff,The Heptones,Winston"Burning Spear" Rodney, 3rd World,Gregory Issacs, Dennis Brown,Lee Scratch Perry, and King Stich are some of my favorite pioneers. Remember my post on greatest bands or whatever the name of that thread? The Wailers had a HUGE impact on music. Today there are many Reggae styles:RootsRegae,Ragga,Dub and Dancehall.Jungle and Reggaeton are direct offshoots of Dancehall. Reggaeton is now scorching up many dancefloors. I LOVE Reggae 1st,2nd and now 3rd generation....its ALL IRIE!

We should get together with Late and do a whole weekend of PARTY! and Jam sessions
BURN the dancefloors,exlplode the senses with GREAT MUSIC and dancing! POF Music Fest
 OnTheBus
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/26/2006 7:01:03 PM
Hey man, that sounds like a good idea. And thanks for the lesson. Always on the prowl for more good music, and totally content to go backwards to find it.
 random_bird
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/26/2006 8:51:19 PM
its ALL IRIE alright!

I'd be in with a rubadub style!

mc
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/27/2006 1:10:03 PM
I took out the chorous.......Care to NAME THIS 80's TUNE?

Jobless people starving babies spreading over the land
More oppression to the have nots is how you play your hand
More world fighting is the writing from those say they know
And if that's true we know just who you'll be picking to go

But the beat you are playing to what Jah is saying is wrong
And we do recommend that you stop before it's too far gone

All the teaching of JAH bible you don't want to obey
But you're writing your own ticket to the price you will pay
Us you hold hock but the drawback is not to us alone
Time will make you too a victim before you see the wrong

And the melody that you are playing is in the wrong key
For Jah's choirs that sings out to all live in world harmony

And I just got to say ............................
Now when I was just a little boy my grandfather
use to say to me, 'Brother B, trust no shadow
after dark... 'It's not till I grew to be a man that
I understand what the old brother was talking
about. You see some people take the liberty to
treat you any way they want to, they feel
some times that you don't have no dignity. But
brother fire de ah mus mus tail him think ah cool
breeze, better watch out, easy squeeze makes no
riot my brethren

You're playing us much too close, so why the hell
Don't you people out there all get up off your
backsides and do something for the worlds for
every living boy, woman, man and girl. There's
hungry people all over starving, have no place
to lay their heads
 BassFingers
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/16/2006 8:05:46 AM
Marathonman11x7:
Bob Marley has a tune off the confrontation album(probably my favourite Marley song-next to one drop) called Jump Nyabinghi. Always wondered what it meant. Thanks for the info!

Anyone heard of the ethiopians? had a tune of theirs called I'll never get burnt, or something like that on a sampler . Haven't found any of their other stuff yet though.
 parallax
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2006 11:32:42 PM
I have a version of 'Redemption Song' sung by a Hawaiian duo called Hapa. They not only invoke the passion of Marley, they amplify it with a Hawaiian context.

A true song of empowerment.
 lonewolf31_75
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:06:02 PM
Gregory Isaacs and Delroy Wilson are great.
 1NiftyGuy
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/28/2007 10:49:35 AM
With you 100% on Burning Sprear. I caught them about a month ago at the Hollywood Bowl with Sly & Robby and Wailin Souls. Great show!!
Also, I believe one of present day reggae’s most powerful voices has got to be Toots & the Maytals. I recommend “true love” (2004) Toots jams with an amazing list of guest stars like Keith Richards, Jeff Beck, Willy Nelson, Eric Clapton, Bonny Rait, and Bunny Wailer to name a few. I feel that it is a great example of present day roots reggae.
Also, Ziggy, Stephen, and Damien Marley are doing a great job of carrying the torch for Bob. I have seen Ziggy three times this year. Ziggy really jams, he puts on a world class roots reggae show, top notch all the way with I three like back-up singers. Ziggy will be at the Greak next Saturday 29 2007. I will be there.…Selassi I.
 44Boz
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/28/2007 11:42:34 AM

I love good reggae, unfortunately, much of it today has sold out to the rap influence.

Reggae MC's (or toasters) were a key influence on the development of rap as a style: see

U - Roy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZuHEPPsRL4

Big Youth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tsdPgPkOXU

Eek-a-Mouse - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG0SDc2Hjz4
 Didj
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/28/2007 12:46:25 PM
All the above :)
Augustus Pablo is my favourite at the moment, love his melodica playing.
Roots Manuva, Dennis Brown, Alpha Blondie, Buju Banton..... all good.

We have regular reggae nights in Bournemouth, and there are a couple of bands down here that play. I do their posters in exchange for a smoke and some free drinks at the club :) I even had a go at producing a couple of their CDs.

Lazy Head by DubHeart is a good one to look out for
 chilledhippie63
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/28/2007 2:51:36 PM
excellent choice,plus peter tosh and not forgettin the famous marley and many others
 HRWild
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/28/2007 7:12:17 PM
gentlehand, agreed!

Exodus

...by the rivers of babylon, where he sat down...and there he wept as he remembered zion
 Didj
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/29/2007 12:48:39 PM

See the morning sun,
On the hillside
Natty Rebel U - Roy, sang so well.....sweet. Uplifting track for sure....
 claire2282
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/29/2007 12:58:44 PM
Oh, i LOVE the old classics...bob marley and the wailers (obviously), gregory issacs, curtis mayfield... I grew up listening to them all! I think all this bashment that's out now spoils it....although i can understand why we have to make way for new sounds....but why must they preach so much violence and badness.....reggae is about peace and harmony, it's not about violence or lifestyle choices....the new artists should take that as their inspiration and there would be much less violence in clubs and on the streets....there was never violence in the sixties because the music was nice!!!
 HRWild
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/29/2007 2:14:04 PM
Aye. Legalize it...

Of course the great Peter Tosh.

Still, tho', "...every time I plant a seed, he say kill it before it grows..."
 Didj
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/6/2007 5:38:58 AM
There's going to be a reggae night next Sunday down here in Bournemouth, South UK.
My friends DubHeart are re-launching with a new singer. If anyone lives in the UK and wants to come along get in touch.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Let I and I praise classic Reggae