Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > are the pay sites scamming us      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mmanardin
Msg: 201
Hi......Page 9 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
.....i found out why u haven't gotten any emails lately....u have to make a small change to your profile....even if it is just one word being changed.....then u will appear on the "New Users" page....then u will get some emails....k?
 Caligirl49
Msg: 202
are the pay sites scamming us
Posted: 9/29/2006 10:30:29 AM
Curtstl Wow...so is that how you guys do it..... I work for a Supermarket...actually in the Liquor Dept... and had a gentleman come thru twice with his little girl... I thought something was up with his twinkle in his eye..... LOL

Paying sites are dumb... they just want your money... they don't care about you... The great thing about Plenty of Fish.... Then founder really does care!!
 ladyc4
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2006 11:56:49 AM

but I've cleverly disguised a line that tells them to find me on Plenty of Fish!!

Y'know I've been trying to do that but I think that now a lot of the pay sites have real humans reading profiles, and they are very quick to refuse to publish an updated profile that contains anything that appears to be any "confusing, random text, unfinished sentences" in other words anything that might be some kind of "clue" or "code"...( it used to be fairly easy to slip something in, but not anymore)
Cindy O
 dr.gonz0
Msg: 204
Posted: 9/29/2006 2:10:39 PM
Dont mean to kill the flow of the conversation going on right now, but to iterate on what was originally posted... I am glad that I do not have any way to pay for a membership for those places. I was leery of them from the initial get-go anyways. Just coz I cannot pay for one of those does not mean I dont have money. But that's how I conduct my business... with cash I hand to a human being, sometimes vending machines or arcades. hehehehe
 soaringironeagle
Msg: 205
Posted: 10/20/2006 1:50:57 AM
Yes, I would say the pay sites are scamming us. Just look at some sites like match.com and the yahoo personals are making money hand over fist. Some of the other sites like one2one match and place4friends are notorious for scamming ppl. I would avoid those sites as much as possible. For those of you that have profiles on those dating sites that I mentioned and felt like you were getting ripped off. Write this in your profile on those pay dating sites to them them a message loud and clear. It'll be like sending them an extended middle finger.
Just say:

This is a bogus dating site and all they care about is your money. The ppl on here
here are lame, fake, and phony. If you what to go at a dating site that's free of
charge and that's more fun to be on then go to Plenty Of Fish dot com(all one word,
go figure). It's 100% free and no credit card is needed. Plus you'll meet nicer ppl.

So there you go if they don't get wise and decide to edit out. It's a nice way of getting back at those greeding pay dating sites that swindle you out of your hard earned dollar. BTW- Contrary to what ppl say that the ppl on POF are poor and broke. That's not true. I'm sure a lot of them are gainfully employed and are making a decent income. It's just they don't want to keep pumping money into something that's going to give them next to nothing, except for grief, frustration, and anguish.
 davidchristopher
Msg: 206
Posted: 10/20/2006 7:12:21 AM

plenty of fish has a girl on it must be something to do with them cos it hasnt got the report her box on it she directs you to highstreethunnys.you then invited to text all these girls at£1 a pop you join a dating site without paying you usually get a email from some sexy bird you carnt reply till to join i got one of freinds re went on there and low and behold her profile was susspended half hour after i got email so conclusion they are all at it wot better way to drum up buisnmartiness

WHAT? Dude, my eyes crossed reading that...
 Honest Attempt
Msg: 207
Posted: 10/20/2006 7:47:37 AM
The Pay Sites are ripping off the people that are looking for Love from another person.

All Pay Sites shoud be Free to anyone that uses them.

There is NO need to pay for finding Love.

Mike
 Pilot152
Msg: 208
Posted: 10/20/2006 8:24:45 AM
Pay sites do seem to be scams or overpopulated with men. Most of the emails I recieved on Match were from eastern Europeans but their profile said they were in the same or a nearby town. It is a scam and if the businesses are recieving money from these mail order bride services they are commiting fraud in my opinion. I once recieved the same message from two different girls, its organized.

I have little trouble finding and dating women at clubs but was hoping the internet thing would perhaps allow a more "real" experience without all the facades people put on in the local meat markets. It seems there are just so many more men using this type of site than women that those I would have no trouble picking up in a club reject me. Once for kicks I spent 8 hours sending carefully crafted personalized emails to each of my "matches", even ones I found unattractive or had little common interests, and was subsequently rejected by every single one that bothered to reply.
 strummer52
Msg: 209
Posted: 10/20/2006 8:29:27 AM
huggy is right, ..when you join any paying site, most guys ,especially the rookies,(like me) will fill out a profile, add a pic, but postpone buying in untill they see if they get a few hits, they want to know if any of the ladies find them attractive,like there profile, before spending the money... inevitably, during this self imposed trial period, the guy will get many winks,flirts,smiles, whatever, . then in his excitement at having so many attractive women interested in him, he will buy in ,so he can respond.....BAM, the moment he buys in the contacts stop, the msg.'s hes recieved already,he responds to , and gets no answers... the ones that do answer use the quick ,thanks but no thanks replies.... then at the end of the month, or whatever he got suckered into, suddenly, he starts getting lots of winks again....yahoo, and date.com, are especially aggresive at this.yup its a scam. and a humdinger too...
 SisterHavana
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2006 12:18:25 PM
I don't think they are a scam - I do know several people who have met their spouses through match and stuff. I took the eharmony test to see if they'd match me with anyone - amazingly they found matches for me. I just don't want to pay $60 for a month or commit to $200 for a year! I did have a paid membership to Jdate for a while but since I'm kind of shy about making first contact, not that much happened there. I have talked to a couple guys on Lavalife but have responded to them - haven't bought credits. (I do like that it is free to respond there, unlike other sites!)
 eon001
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:43:05 AM
Just thought I'ld throw my 2 pence in.
Loopylove was a scam I think. I got alot of mail before I subscribed. Once I got tempted to part with cash, I checked there replies and there were crappy time wasting messages like "hi" .
I chatted to a few people from match, but didnt meet, they were time wasters. I'll never go to a paysite again.
 soaringironeagle
Msg: 212
Posted: 10/29/2006 11:20:17 AM
Oh course there's eharmony which is a scam in itself. The guy that does those commercials for it is creepy and shady. He kinda reminds me of a used car saleman. He's your typical huckster and he is exercising what Barnum said over a hundred years ago, "There's a sucker born every minute."
 relixmaster
Msg: 213
Posted: 10/31/2006 3:03:07 PM
ok, here's one to think about.

i tend to poke around using bogus email addresses and/or account info until i decide it's worth staying. i did this one site where my "about me" description said the following:

"once i get a chance to check around this place, i'll revisit this message. looks like just another site that tricks you into entering all this information and then doesn't allow you to view or contact anyone without giving up $40/month."

funny thing. I started getting emails where every girl said "I liked your profile..." followed some more rubbish (i also had no picture). i guess it was at that point when i stopped and thought about it and decided it's all a bunch of lies!
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Q: Is Match broken? I think it is - and that's yet another "scam...."
Posted: 11/2/2006 6:05:55 PM
Unfortunately, I still have a subscription left there that will run out in a month. However, about 2 weeks ago, I noted that I got strange results from the search feature. It says I have no mutual matches nor any reverse matches, but living in Los Angeles, I should have 500+ of each. Today while I was on, I tried to view my OWN profile ("as others see it") and the site said it was hidden, yet when I went to the "my profile" section, it said my profile was visible to all. I tried to search for myself and my profile was not in the results! Two months ago, I turned off auto-renew. Could that have done it?

I complained to match about the search function being broken last week, but never heard back.

It's one thing to scam us with a system that works - it's another thing if it's broken. Is it broken for anyone else?
 yooohoooty
Msg: 215
Posted: 11/3/2006 9:40:58 PM
You guys have it all wrong, I'm 63 and a 22 year old lovely can't live without me, she lives in Europe and is saving her money for the bus ride to California,she mentioned it could take awhile, so I may have to send her some bus tokens, but that's all im sending besides good luck. lol Never loose your sense of humor, have fun with players...........
 valleylou
Msg: 216
view profile
History
free dating
Posted: 11/3/2006 10:17:48 PM
There are some good sites out there, i met someone on here and dated him for 7 months unfortunately it just wasn't going nowhere, now i'm living with a guy that i met on Matchdoctor.com now we planning to get engaged, Good luck in your hunt for your partners.
 stretch1967
Msg: 217
Posted: 11/4/2006 4:00:54 PM
kevin,
i agree with you!!!!!!!! here i do talk with several people the other sites u pay for r pathetic.
yes girls from russia,i talk to two of them one looks really good,i mean hot but we don't know if that's really her or not.besides their in another country.i think there scammers.
 gnash1
Msg: 218
Posted: 11/4/2006 5:10:39 PM
NO!! they are all above board and honest....now if you will excuse me I have to write my letter to Santa before it gets too late.
 soaringironeagle
Msg: 219
Posted: 11/22/2006 10:57:53 AM
To stretch,

Yes, these ppl who profess to be young, beautiful Russian women are in fact scammers. They'll tell you how much they love you and that other mushy stuff. Then they'll ask you to wire them money to pay for the plane fare so that they can come over and see you blah, blah, blah. Usually anywhere from $800-$1200 to help them cover the cost of plane fare. However, once they recieve your money you'll never hear from them again. They'll vanish back into the wild blue yonder. My friends tell me about these accounts. Nothing new, this scam has been going on for years and years. There have been accounts of lonely, yet desperate American Men that have fell victim to such a scam and now they're $1000 dollars poorer. They'll have no chance of recovering their lost money, b/c the authorities in Russia are just as crooked. $1000 is worth 20x more over in Russia and that would pad the scammmer for a while whoever he/she is. I thought I wanted to inform you b/f you go on and do something that you'll later regret in life.
Happy Fishing
 brokensmilensj
Msg: 220
Posted: 11/28/2006 7:34:14 AM
I don't think some of these sites are scams. I honestly believe it is just a matter of not attracting someone. I am currently a member of Match and I guess I signed up when they had some special where if you didn't find love in 3 months you got 6 months free. I am coming to the end of my 6 months for free and I have been getting a steady stream of winks and emails. They are not bogus because I actually replied to a few saying sorry there was no interest. One man responded arguing with me about how could I not be interested in him without getting to know him. I also have winked at someone or sent a message and they would respond with whatever reasoning "I'm having issues with you having a child already" or I would get the generic "No thanks" matchstyle reply. So I believe the winks and messages are genuine and not fake.

I'm also on Yahoo and I think eventually they will have to either lower their membership fees or revert to not charging at all. The biggest problem with yahoo and many pay sites is that 90% of the people you are interested are not paying members so they respond with the generic "I like your profile, tell me more" reply and you play the generic reply until one of you breaks down to buy a membership game. Most often that's the farthest you proceed. After being a member twice on yahoo, I refuse to renew my membership again since I have had the least amount of luck with it. Eventually most online daters will do the same and Yahoo will see the steady decline in paying members. I have better luck with Match but I'd rather just stick with POF for awhile and see how it goes.
 ChancesTaken
Msg: 221
Posted: 12/4/2006 12:54:08 PM
yooohoooty wrote :
You guys have it all wrong, I'm 63 and a 22 year old lovely can't live without me, she lives in Europe and is saving her money for the bus ride to California,she mentioned it could take awhile, so I may have to send her some bus tokens

now that's funny.

C-I
(simpatico, that component of attraction that is the next step beyond chemistry)
 Martin286
Msg: 222
Posted: 1/21/2007 3:56:16 AM
I started a thread asking the same thing and I was pointed to this thread. Not just me then!!!!
 blondie0069
Msg: 223
Posted: 1/21/2007 6:06:46 AM
I had the same thing happen to me, I forgot that I even had a profile up on this one site. It probably was a year never had anything, then I got a wink . I thought well so. Then the same person the next day left a message. He was near me so I thought well this could be the one. So i subscribed thinking I got to find out. I emailed back with sure we can chat. His profile shown online but busy at the time. Each day I went into the site (for a month) and his profile was always online but busy and no more emails ever from him. I told myself I just got scammed and I would never spend the money again for a paid site..
 cute6
Msg: 224
Posted: 1/21/2007 7:54:54 AM
THANK GOD FOR ''PLENTYoF FISH''. THANK YOU FOR THIS ''FREE'' SITE''
 Ladyhawke050
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2007 3:22:04 PM
I have said this before,,,,you find someone you like on a pay site,,,,give it a week and that person will show up on a free site,,,so why pay,,,if you have the patience,,,,they will come to you,,,,also,,,some pay sites will let you upload a profile,,,but if you get mail you have to pay to read that mail,,,I consider that a scam as it could just be that site welcoming you,,,,
Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > are the pay sites scamming us