Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Capt. David
Msg: 226
Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?Page 10 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
ok, so i just read this whole thing and just dont get or maybe think Im one of the exceptions.

Im 28, have a very good job, and I live at home. Im a tug captain($$$) and my job keeps me gone anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months at the time. And Im usually gone 6 to 9 months outof the year. And when Im not at work, Im never home.

Im not spending 30k a year for some place for my truck and my belongings to live. I pay my parents mortgage and they get to use my trucks and my boat. Money is not an issue when it come to getting a place, but more than I want my stuff to be safe while Im gone.

Maybe its me, but I think if you cant get the big picture about someone then maybe you shouldnt be so damned judgemental. I realixe there are tons of lazy, leing, good for nothing people out there, that will tell you what ever it takes to get some lovin', but its the first thing I tell a girl. I f they have issues with that, then I dont have issues with turning around and leaving right then.

As for being unemplyed, recently I was layed off, only lasted 2 weeks thankfully, but i met one girl and told her everything that was going on and she had the nerve to go on a rant about not paying for everything she wasnt supporting anyone but herself, ect. At that point, I asked for the check(we were having dinner-on me- of course), paid and walked out. She texted me a while later and asked whats up, I reminded her I wasnt worth her time and her $7 an hour job (collage grad mind you), and the she didnt have to support me. You would think some people would think before they speak sometimes.
 swguy29
Msg: 227
Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?
Posted: 4/15/2009 3:04:10 PM

But do judge everyone in one situation or another is just wrong. It could be for many different reasons. Some yes will just be lazy azzes but you should be able to find that out in a short period of time. Others may have good reasons (maybe they are caring for elderly parents), which is a full time job of it's own. You should never judge a book by its cover. Always read the pages in between before jumping to conclusions. Just my two cents.

THAT right there is the correct answer and should be the end of the thread.
 realbaddkitty
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 3:28:27 PM
I would disagree. If that man truly means a lot to you, you would support him through good times and bad. Just because he may be without a job at the moment in time he will find one and as the woman who cares for him that shouldn't make you loose your drive and ambition to help support him and be there for him. I have bills myself, who doesn't but we all could use the help sometimes.
 VicTLC75
Msg: 229
Posted: 4/15/2009 3:56:15 PM
Simply put - NOPE! I wouldn't date him, friends sure. I'm supporting myself and my children no one else.
 FIRE CHIC
Msg: 230
Posted: 4/15/2009 4:11:55 PM
LMAO....I guess the only exception would be is if you wanted to open up your very own day care for grown men?

Negative.
 allie59
Msg: 231
Posted: 4/19/2009 6:18:25 AM
This question is for women.. Would a man date a woman that is unemployed and / or living at home with parents??? My parents are gone.... Wouldn't have the options

Men don't either But I can take care of myself and don't need a sugar daddy , I was unemployed for off and on for a year... for one reason or another never took help from anyone .................................

and yes I would date a man as long as he was honest and trying

Sociality
Msg: 232
Posted: 4/19/2009 11:37:17 AM
Wow, I love stupidity.

Reverse the scenarios. You're unemployed and living with your parents (for whatever reason). Should anyone date you?

Scenario: Guy has 6 figure income generally. His mother's sick, so he moves in and takes care of her. He gets laid off a couple of months in, and is transitioning.

Yeah, that's really a scoundrel with zero ambition that you need to avoid. Pfft.
 StarMama_2
Msg: 233
Posted: 5/15/2009 8:01:46 AM
I can honestly say yes for multiple reasons...You don't always know the situation right off the bat. I believe in giving people a fair chance because the guy who lives at his parents house with no job might be the best guy you've ever met. He could be that romantic, passionate guy you've spent your life looking for. where the guy who makes money has a job and a house of his own could be an abusive two faced **stard who wants to control your every move. Besides just because he's unemployed doesn't mean he doesn't have money or is broke. When you judge a person based on living arrangements and what not you miss the big picture.
 teena_weena_2000
Msg: 234
Posted: 5/15/2009 2:07:48 PM
It's called standards. We all have them and that's the way it should be. I don't get offended if I don't meet the standards of 'what whoever is looking for' and neither should anyone else. I for one will not date someone who is unemployed. I did once years ago, learned my lesson, and that learned standard will never change. I have worked too hard to finally have financial stability and want someone with the same. There is nothing wrong with that. Ambition is also a quality I, along with most people, am looking for. Everyone's story is unique and their own and not every man or woman who lives with their parents and/or is unemployed lacks ambition. If you're willing to invest enough time to find out then that's your choice, but you shouldn't knock someone else for not doing the same. As for the comments about 'why is it about a man? what about women who don't work?, etc. Ummm I don't date women so I don't care if they work or not lol, but yeah I expect there are plenty of men who have the same standard. In fact, I have seen many men's profiles that state just that. Also, if you are already in a relationship and someone loses their job that is a whole other story. Of course you would support them if they are doing their best to get back on their feet.
 rockhound45
Msg: 235
Posted: 5/15/2009 3:55:04 PM
I can honestly say yes for multiple reasons...You don't always know the situation right off the bat. I believe in giving people a fair chance because the guy who lives at his parents house with no job might be the best guy you've ever met. He could be that romantic, passionate guy you've spent your life looking for. where the guy who makes money has a job and a house of his own could be an abusive two faced **stard who wants to control your every move. Besides just because he's unemployed doesn't mean he doesn't have money or is broke. When you judge a person based on living arrangements and what not you miss the big picture.

Well said, starmama!!!
I am in that VERY situation!! (sort of). I got laid-off a few years ago and because of the economic conditions of my area, I decided to move back in with my folks and go back to school to EARN a degree in computer science that I wanted to do. I figured why not, I have the time!! I'm single, no strings. Now after a while, I am missing female companionship and seeing my age compared to those at college, this is my only option. I don't want to live at "home" (home is where you make it, right?) for the rest of my life. But I feel like when I say anything about my situation,, or that I'm back in college, the lack of a response makes me feel like a "loser" and that no one wants anything to do with me.

So THANK YOU VERY MUCH, starmama for telling it like it is!!!!
 robbo71
Msg: 236
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:05:58 PM
its a pity other women dont mind men being the main source of income....the amount of couples i know where the female will feel shes really contributing to the family income when she does about 10/16 hours a week on a minimum wage and the blokes on about 400/500 quid a week and she'll say " its a joint effort" lol...then she'll feel she should have carte blanche to say what gets bought and what doesnt....talk about double standards,its a womens world alright!....anyway what makes you so special that you should dictate what criteria men must fulfill to get a date with you? i would bet that your just another fat,useless,bingowing egoist anyway.....go and buy some clothes from m&s or h.o.f . it'll cover up all the lard! lol
 cannpeters
Msg: 237
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:35:10 PM
Wow, robbo, tell us what you really think. Most of the women (and men) I know work 40+ hours a week and make a decent wage. I know plenty of single women (and men) who make a good living on their own, as well as those in a relationship. With that attitude, I doubt any women are talking to you.
 obxflower314
Msg: 238
Posted: 5/15/2009 7:02:16 PM
Are you kidding me? I absolutely would not. But there are so many women that do or accept men that do not have a job (claiming they are disabled, can't find a job), etc. Women are the strongest sex, but we don't want to taek care of someone!
 obxflower314
Msg: 239
Posted: 5/15/2009 7:03:57 PM
you must be kidding, Zain, women, in this country, women work outside the home, in the home and are expected to take care of a lazy man who sits around and does nothing...no way....we want an equal partnership
 Wicked_Knight
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2009 7:19:55 PM
OK I realize this has already gone back and forth forever but I'm curious. I am almost 24 and I live at home with my mother. I moved back after graduating with my Masters about a year ago and haven't manged to start a career and get out on my own yet. I still have the same Gas Station job I had when I graduated school, I pay my own bills, do my own laundry, buy and cook my own food. Yet I pay no rent, and until I get into a better paying job am unlikely to be able to move into an apt of my own. With student loans what they are each month I just wouldn't be able to support myself on my $10 an hour paycheck. So does this make me undateable? Or are women able to see the situation for what it is?
 robbo71
Msg: 241
Posted: 5/16/2009 5:31:50 PM
cannpeters..if these women who are'nt talking to me look like you then i'm glad...women who decide if a guy is dateable based on ANYTHING to do with his financial situation is,in my humble opinion ,no better than a prostitute,seriously....very few men i know couldnt care less if the women is rich/poor,living with parents or not,they are far more interested in the womens looks/personality etc.This great concern about status is mainly a womens thing,as they usually try to bag the guy with the most status (if they can of course,if they are fat&useless and unmotivated they obviously KNOW that a decent looking reasonably wealthy guy will not look at them...this should be very obvious to any intelligent,wordly wise person) an easy example of this is to take a look around you to check for evidence of this simple fact.....when i was a struggling businessman,looking a bit geeky as i do, i used to wonder why other geeky guys got the motivated pretty girls and i didnt...then all of a sudden when my business took off and i made my fortune via the web etc,i could afford to hang out at more expensive "exclusive" bars&clubs etc and you wouldnt believe the difference it made to my love life!!..from being the guy who never got a valentines card i went to the "talented newcomer" to the scene and had the opportunity to date and make love to the best that my area had to offer......so come on girls,lets start to look facts in the face accept our inbuilt drive that nature endowed you with to select and mate with the alpha males(in a financial sense of course) and stop this silly nonsense.YOU ARE ALL NOT MUCH BETTER THAN PROSTITUTES AND MEN ARE SHALLOW (IF THEY CAN BE ,OF COURSE!)...also cannpeters,why would any guy be bothered to chase after a women who obviously,judging by your pics,can't be arsed to brush her hair or look clean& tidy???
 robbo71
Msg: 242
Posted: 5/16/2009 5:47:32 PM
erm... slobxflower...when you say on your profile you like "silly conversation" are your forum posts one such example?...also when you say you like to "hang out" does that mean your belly over your trousers?...just a tip petal....if you smartened yourself up a bit then you might attract a more worthy male...at your age you really should of figured this out by now...unless of course the goverment is experimenting with flouride in your drinking water in your area,as this has a "dumbing down "effect apparently....
 buzzy9876
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2009 5:55:44 PM
Wow! After reading most of this, I can't believe most of you. You are so hung up on this support issue. The OP said nothing about supporting this guy, only dating him. But, you are so quick to chop us men down, because deep down inside alot of women hate men. Cut his balls off and feed them to the dogs, he is just a lazy ass man! Thank God I'm single!
 buzzy9876
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:00:27 PM

make love to the best that my area had to offer......

If they are only attracted to you for your statis in life, then are they the best? I say they are the worst. What happens when you loose your wealth? Gone they are!
 cutieliscious
Msg: 245
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:23:17 PM
well sure. who cares? i did it. love. & SUCH a sweetheart, too. love conquers. & nobodys perfect.
 robbo71
Msg: 246
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:24:32 PM
hi buzzy...unfortunately your probably right!....thats how sad things have become in the dating game and life in general buddy!.....the way i try to think of it is "its better to have loved/lusted and lost than to never have loved/ lusted at all!... shakespeare said that i think...at the end of the day mate,i'm just responding to the expectations of attractive women,i didnt make the rules up i'm only trying to play the game!!
 Dragon4Anarchy
Msg: 247
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:33:28 PM
Well, I absolutely agree on the aspect that a woman should not have to support her man, however, I think such judgment on income and employment wrong. If he's unemployed and living with his parents, so what, he's not leeching off you (hopefully) until it gets to the stage where you move in together it shouldn't be an issue, of course at that point he'll be expected to pay his half.

Honestly this whole capitalist way of thinking disgusts me, the work regime is despicable, taking up so much of a persons time and energy they barely have any real life left. Full time work is a relentless clock, and I would not do it for anything I did not love to do or find ethically just.

Just my opinion, carry on.
 cutieliscious
Msg: 248
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:07:46 PM
well... if i would have rejected the love of my life bc he lived with his parents in his time of need, it would be *my* loss. i hope no one ever falls on hard times. bc then u would know who really loves u when someone stands by u when everyone else has hit the door.
 MistaPepperZ
Msg: 249
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:41:30 PM
The OP dared to ask this question when unemployment is at an all time high...and the whole world is in a recession?

Granted, I have my own place and a job...but still...that's pretty heartless...
 cutieliscious
Msg: 250
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:58:36 PM
so many things happen in a persons life. why does it even matter if someone is temporarily living at home when u have *your whole lives* to build something together? thats what a relationship *is*, building something *together*, through thick and through thin, through good times and bad. what a society that could reject someone for being in a temporary situation. its nothing! not in the big picture. who cares? its certainly not a deal breaker... i mean its not ideal, but so? make it better and work together to improve things. i mean its not like its forever. i mean a deal breaker is someone who is violent or mean or a cheater something like that.... you would seriously throw a good man in the garbage bc he is temporarily fallen on hard times? oh jesus, that is nuts! LOL!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?