Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JokerWild
Msg: 76
Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?Page 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I'd understand if a woman didn't want to date me when I'm not working not going to school and just sitting on my butt all day long living off of my parents. But if i'm going to college full-time and taking care of the house i'm staying at since I'm the only male around than I'd find it pretty screwed up if they didn't date me.

I hope I'm not sounding like women should feel obliged to date me if i'm attending college and not working but the more I look around the more I see women with guys with no jobs, not attending school and living off of their girlfriend and mommy and daddy. While many of us are trying to get our stuff together, anywho like the guy said above me, some of us have personal issues to deal with before we can get where we need to be.
 Skepse
Msg: 77
Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?
Posted: 11/13/2005 11:08:12 AM
"Instead, you should be trying to help these guys realize that they should become more independent and move out...."

Nope, sorry, but that's just not my job. If he needs help to realize he should become more independent-- that's great and all, but go find a therapist not a date. Myself, I'm not into 'therapeutic dating'-- I'll pass and wait for someone who is independent on their own!
 ~Songbird~
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/13/2005 11:10:10 AM
A student? Yes.
In a rut but working his way out? Yes.
Just a lazy mama's boy? Hell's no.
 nottaprincess
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/13/2005 2:43:47 PM
I was dating someone who was living with his parents....he was 32, got out of a marriage and was trying to get back on his feet. As I got to know him though, I realized that he had no ambition to move back out on his own any time soon! In addition, he would bicker with his mom as though he was a teen..."Moooommmmm....Im on the phone...." Then, he lost his job. I felt bad for him, but decided that it was in my best interest to let him work on his stuff, and I would work on mine!

Linda

Ps...his MOm did his laundry, cooked his meals, etc...
 One4U34
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/13/2005 3:14:38 PM
Considering how many men in this entire world support shallow women like yourself I think fair is fair. Are you saying that if your man got laid off and had to move back in with his parents that you would leave him? How many of you women agreeing with this nut are sitting at home being supported by a guy who pays for all of your needs? I had a similar situation happen to me. I lost everything and had to move back in with my parents. My worthless shallow girlfriend dumped me because of it. After I got back on my feet and got an apartment she tried to get back with me. Any woman that leaves you when things get tough is not a woman at all. Sometimes life gives you a raw deal and it takes time to bounce back. Sometimes years. Shallow women like you who dig for gold just make things worse.
 ~Songbird~
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/13/2005 4:45:25 PM
If you read what she said, she said she WAS dating him. What makes her shallow? If you're referring to me, I said I would but there is a difference between depending on your parents or using their support to your advantage to get on your own feet. Sorry if it wasn't meant for myself or her, you were not clear in your accusation of "shallow women".

I don't see how it could take a person years if they're living at home off of their parents. They've got it made and finding a job, going back to school, apt. hunting, ect. would be MUCH easier if you're living at home. Dumping a person, man or woman, who has no goals or motivation in their life is not shallow.
 Skepse
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/13/2005 4:46:11 PM
You're talking about something different-- someone you're already with, who moved in with his parents temporarily then moved back out. *THAT* is somewhat different from someone who simply LIVES at home. It's not shallow to want a mature man who knows how to take care of himself!
 Witchypoo
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/13/2005 4:51:50 PM
Joker Darling...... we are not talking about men in you're position. You have ambition, are educating yourself and you are still a young man. We are talking about a whole different breed altogether that you are not a part of. Go back and really read what most of us women are saying than you will truly understand what it is we are really saying. It's the exceptions that make the rules.

Blessings,
Witchy
 sddude
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/14/2005 11:02:07 AM
Separate from bashing the women writing here , I work with alot of people (over 100) , mostly men , and
in thier view after knowing alot of them for years , I have found that some men are difficult and women leave them but most that have had economic problems , that seem like really really great guys do get dumped by the wife when economic problems arize and have been the middle man for them sso I see both sides , it happens alot more than people will admit . Of course their are some women that stick to thir guns but I have seen that as the minority in these cases and maybe one or two I have helped decide to stick to their guy .

Money seems to be a very very big factor in breakups , usually the guy is the major breadwinner driving the older car . That is my experience from my large pool of coworkers, of course their are some bad guys , some are exceptions , I can tell you stories , maybe more ones sided ones in your views.

But there are some women that are able to stand by their man , others just quit and say it is not their job to make it work and move to another guy...

I wish love were stronger than any of this , usually older men and women see this later in my view it is mostly older women that finally understand this .
 Skepse
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/14/2005 7:03:05 PM
Eh, so not about the money! Do I enjoy money? Sure-- who doesn't?! But honestly. even if he makes half a million a year and still lives with mommy and daddy... I'll pass! Of course, just speaking for myself...
 mardioluv4u
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/14/2005 7:11:22 PM
If his mate is a selfish and shallow materialistic person then SHE is the problem and not he if he is out of a job. She should be given the lesson on how to honor and respect her husband for working.

The man should make the money to support his family not to give his wife her greedy desires, he should support and and love them but not spoil her my any means.
 Tomorow
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/15/2005 7:37:00 AM
sddude wrote (in part):

"Money seems to be a very very big factor in breakups ..."

Along with family (in-laws) and the raising of children, this must be the most important external factor in determining if relationships stand or fall.

I suppose if a woman were employed or at school and were living at home to save money, that would be okay with me. However, my experience with male friends and acquaintances is that most of the ones who live at home tend to do so because the perks (e.g. home-cooked meals, live-in maid service, etc.) are so attractive that they enjoy the status quo, even with the loss of autonomy. This, to me, would be a rather serious warning sign, since if they have never done laundry, washed dishes, vacuumed, etc., what are the chances that when they get married or move in with someone they are suddenly going to start doing these things? Isn't it more likely that they are going to expect their girlfriend/wife to pick up the ball and continue to provide the services that have been so attractive in the past?
 carguy33544
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2005 8:18:09 AM
I agree but I am a little different. I am 41 years old own a 5 bedroom house on the water and it is paid for, I have income coming in and pay all my bills and then some. I have more then enough things in my life to keep me busy. I even built a 3 bedroom house on my property for my mother to live in after she had open heart surgery and all my brothers wanted to put her in a retirement home in Wisconsin.
What is the problem that a lot of people have about working 9 to 5 for someone else?
It is my time and I dont want to sell my time to someone for money. I see people every day running out the door to go to a job they hate to pay for things they didn't need to begin with.
They are missing their kids growing up because they spend all their time working just to keep up with the Jones's or drive a big SUV that gets 8 miles a gal. That is dumb.
I have worked hard to get where I am. I dont care what a woman dose for a living as long as she is happy with what she is doing. I don't see why it should matter.

em*ploy = 1. Use the services of ( a person) in return for payment.
em*ploy*ee= 1. A person employed for wages.
 Stellazz
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/15/2005 10:26:13 AM
Never No exceptions
 xchuck
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/15/2005 10:37:09 AM
I don't have much but my little cardboard box behind the liquer store ,i work hard everyday to better myself by collecting aluminum cans and doors in my shopping cart and selling it to the scrap yard. Ladies my cardbox box may not be much but at least i can call it my own...PICK ME
 indigo rose
Msg: 91
Posted: 11/15/2005 10:47:38 AM
^^how big is the box???
 xchuck
Msg: 92
Posted: 11/15/2005 10:50:43 AM
I recently upgraded from a washer machine box to a king size refrigerator box cozy enough for two...care to join me?
 marita_b
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2005 9:51:13 AM
Every time I hear questions like this I think of the song by Avril Levigne,...

Skater Boy,...and I think perhaps there is hope that we are not all destined to be define by our circumstances,....I always thought that ones character is defined by how one endures or better still overcomes one's circumstances,....Bearing wins and good fortune are a no brainer,...and they aren't all that character developing in nature,....but surviving and overcoming,...without compromizing one's principles,...now that is what life's lessons are all about,....

On a more personal note,....I'm sick of being in the school of hard knocks,...

when the heck is graduation?????
 grplaman
Msg: 94
Posted: 11/17/2005 2:23:10 AM
Sure why not-make sure he's older though. When his parents croak-he may get the house and all their money.
 Fantome_Slashwrist
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/26/2007 3:54:03 PM
the whole unemployed thing is really bullcrap...

First off, is the so called unemployed person asking you for anything? probably not...

Second, if the so called unemployed person had a low paying job, would he be in the same catagory in your eyes? probably so...

Women put they want a working man and employed man in their ads, but that's not the whole story... What they really expect is someone who makes big big money and owns a whole lot of stuff. No matter what the guy does or makes is never enough to suit them and they are always looking for someone who they think is better...

If they say they are looking for someone who can support themself, that is just more talk to cover up what they are really looking for.

My advise is not to believe the talk about employed and consider that they are rather looking for a billionaire and thay have unrealistic expectations and are miserable and unsatisfied with everything beacuse they are the real loser themselves.
 stageright
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2007 5:13:53 PM
he's called a WRITER!!!!! give me a frickin' break. i told you my master plan!!!!!
 foxyfoxy74
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/23/2008 10:29:04 AM
Exactly. I just wrote a letter to this guy who was trying to cultivate a relationship with me that essentially outlines two of those things.

He lives with his mother, his mother is young and in good health, he claims he moved back in with her to finish school (a computer certification that took about 6 weeks to complete). He has no job, no ambition, and doesn't even have a relationship with his children. I'm sorry but he has nothing to offer me or anyone.
 Darknight1984
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 11:50:30 AM
He lives with his mother, his mother is young and in good health, he claims he moved back in with her to finish school (a computer certification that took about 6 weeks to complete). He has no job, no ambition, and doesn't even have a relationship with his children. I'm sorry but he has nothing to offer me or anyone.

Of course he has nothing to offer you since you are just looking for someone to give you something materlistic. Do people these days so selfish that they only care about being in a relationship so it can benefit them?
 Gracep
Msg: 99
Posted: 6/23/2008 11:58:07 AM
I AGREE WITH YOU.....
 galonthemt
Msg: 100
Posted: 6/23/2008 12:08:42 PM
Most men in my age group dont work.........its called retirement....and if they are living with their mother they have good genetics.....so ya I'd date him.........
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?