Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Assurance67
Msg: 201
Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?Page 9 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
i would not date some one like that, just cuz we would have very little in common. But i am also so over judging or measuring ppl out on what they are doing or not doing...the only thing i am concerned with in life these days....myself and my own(..i.e..my family and friends).
 bexor
Msg: 202
Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?
Posted: 9/19/2008 8:43:02 PM
I would date a man that was unemployed and living with his parents, as long as he had goals and ambitions and was trying to become independent.
 swguy29
Msg: 203
Posted: 4/3/2009 8:56:51 PM
Pretty much......the problem is it's a slippery slope.

On one hand they are pretty ignorant. They don't take into consideration illness, recession, career change or care of parents. Problem is, once they get burned by a TRUE douche-bag, that's when everyone else gets thrown under the bus.

Also, a lot of women are truly looking to stop working themselves and need a man that can support their lifestyles and the lives of the offspring they will soon spit out. So that's another reason they would not date an "in transition" gentleman.

Don't forget the superficial factor of most women. They need to compare "trophy's" amongst friends. It's a competition thing, now-a-days.

HOWEVER

The douche-bags with no health issues, mental or physical, whom just mooch off the folks and wait for their demise to capitalize on inheritance, are just sad.

A partner is not an extension of your mother. You gotta pull your weight.
 MrAlone
Msg: 204
Posted: 4/4/2009 1:14:12 AM
I fully understand parts of this topic, and disagree with other parts of it.

What people do not account for, is the list of Jobs in the country getting cut everyday,
and this is happening more all the time,
John Deer in Quad Cities just laid off a bunch,
place down s in Mt Pleasent just laid off a couple months ago, that was
250 if i recall.
trucking places are slowing down, small businesses and some not so small
you see closing all the tim
and I just seen unemplypment is up a bunch,

Now I do understand not dating someone living at Home with the folks without a job,
But living at home and Working, isn't that bad of a thing in todays times,
Some people do/are living at home, and are not Mommas boys/girls,
and they do work, have they're own car,
pay they're own bills, buy thy're own cloths ect.
I think allot of depends on the area you live in,
Like anyplace withing 30 miles any direction of the Quad Cities to rent, lucky to find anything,
that is less then 600 a month, surrounding small towns, to rent some houses is near 800 a month, then all untilities on top that, and if you car payments, kids, it is even harder yet.
So it is not easy for allot of single people to be out on they're own in todays times.
Not trying to go all Political here, but unless things change in the counrty and soon,
you'r going to see allot of people moving back home, or multi families living together,
crime rates going up, and more and more businesses closing the doors.
and it is coming....and not to far away.
 Seeking Serendipity
Msg: 205
Posted: 4/4/2009 4:14:19 AM
HELLLLL NO! Run away from the scrub!
 forum101
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2009 9:06:09 AM
No. I dont need another child to take care of.
 Zain.
Msg: 207
Posted: 4/4/2009 9:37:53 PM
lol for alot of people living with their parents is not exactly a choice now is it? They do it because they can't afford to live anywhere else.

A friend of mine got laid off from her job. She went to the local unemployment office there were over 200 people there. People are losing jobs everyday. Students who are out of college and university can't seem to find work and it's been a year after they graduated.

In today's shitty economy It's going to be a more common thing.
 tonybuffalo2
Msg: 208
Posted: 4/5/2009 1:38:50 PM
Wow, this post just showed how judgemental ladies are. How do you even know the situation he was in. What if he worked and enron, world com, wall street? No wonder I am still single. Any Good women left on POF?
 Inner_Glow
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2009 11:22:16 PM
@ Zain - Couldn't have worded things better myself.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 210
Posted: 4/6/2009 5:18:50 AM
No, but I know of one in Avon Ohio that does this and forget to tell people. If there are any ladies interested let me know. lmfao A man will work just like me. A man will pay his rent or mortgage just like me. I do not date children. Period.
 cannpeters
Msg: 211
Posted: 4/6/2009 8:52:56 AM
I don't even meet men who don't work these days. I also haven't met any men living at home with their parents. I would be shocked if I met either. Where are these men?
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 212
Posted: 4/6/2009 7:36:10 PM
Oh Cann...there are a lot of them. but the prize one I had not only lived with mama and daddy, he was 41, claimed to be a Plumber and "never" had money. Yet he was always out trying to be a "poker player" (wannabe) at some dive, and not even for cash. And he really was not employed. He actually was kicked to the curb by his old business partner. I think there are a lot more of them out there than we think there are, but most of them don't tell the truth. Oh the things we find out about people. :)
 Zain.
Msg: 213
Posted: 4/6/2009 9:58:16 PM
I wonder though

Is the stigma of a woman being unemployed and living with her parents as bad as the stigma of a man being unemployed and living with his parents?
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 214
Posted: 4/7/2009 7:40:15 PM
My answer to the OP's question would be no. Theres just something about a man who is employed and living on his own. Sure, everyone has hard times they come and they go much like everything else, but I would not want to be with a man where there is no ambition, no care in the world to do better for himself and then to stand up and say "why doesn't any woman want me" . Its called get a backbone and do what men are suppose to do....be a leader, work and pave the way for yourself, be proud that you are a man and following the footsteps of millions of other men.
 shipoker58
Msg: 215
Posted: 4/8/2009 3:05:12 PM
as a man...I wouldn't date a woman under the same circumstances. No job...no home...=NO DATE!

God! I love equality!!

...JMO
 iilah
Msg: 216
Posted: 4/8/2009 3:50:44 PM
Ship - you're right!

If you're unemployed, living with parents and are over 21, you have other fish to fry (so to speak) than looking for a date!
 Abbicci
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 4:10:05 PM
I dated a guy who took an unpaid leave of absence to care for his Mother while she was going through cancer treatment.

Living with his Mom and caring for her the way he did was one of the many reasons I liked him so much.
 shipoker58
Msg: 218
Posted: 4/8/2009 4:17:48 PM
***Ship - you're right!

...wow this is the first time anyone on POF has agreed with anything I have said...break out the champagne.
 dantorquay
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 4:36:13 AM

Basically, he must have a GOOD reason for being unemployed and still living at home.

Thats not really fair, I do work and im a qualified IT techy, but I work in a pub since being made redundant earning a miniscule £5.75ph, which makes is nearly impracticle to live in my own place! 1bed places around here are £450+ plus council tax etc, I was in a flat share but the guy moved to another town, so I had to come back home.

I can understand you not dating someone whos not working, but the living at home thing is a bit harsh, especially when you might not know the whole story
 english lass
Msg: 220
Posted: 4/9/2009 5:56:41 AM

This thread is harsh. I just graduated from college and am living at home. I'm sending out my resume everyday looking for work and will find it eventually. I'm only 23 right now. My Mom is also recovering from being really ill so I help her. Is that bad?

of course it isn't

i don't see the problem with dating someone who by situational circumstance has to be at his parents for a while

or even if he's unemployed because he's looking for another job or just graduated university (except perhaps the age difference, if it's applicable...) it's not as though you're thinking of marrying him and thus maybe assuming responsibility for carrying him

it all depends on the person involved and the reasons for his not working and being with his parents - each situation is different

what if the guy was a millionaire so didn't need to work and was living with his parents because it's their ancestral manor? i'm thinking that some opinions might change then...

...it's all to do with the individual circumstance and person...
 Darknight1984
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 2:17:21 PM
lol for alot of people living with their parents is not exactly a choice now is it? They do it because they can't afford to live anywhere else.

A friend of mine got laid off from her job. She went to the local unemployment office there were over 200 people there. People are losing jobs everyday. Students who are out of college and university can't seem to find work and it's been a year after they graduated.

In today's shitty economy It's going to be a more common thing.

Excatly I live in a small city in the South and even though it is considered a low cost area it is still a lot for a decent place. The job I have does not pay enough to live on my own or even with a roomate. Before someone says why don't you get a better job I would if I could find them and I can not afford to go to college. We do not live in the 1950s when everyone made enough to have a place of there own. Some people do not understand this.
 R0ckPink
Msg: 222
Posted: 4/9/2009 8:32:36 PM
I def agree with you! I have been married before while I was in the military and I supported him through everything. I finally called it quits when I found out where and who my money was going to. So if a guy is unemployed and lives at home there is no way I will be going out with him! Its not that difficult to find a job, even if you dont like it.. something better will always come along.
 hip89
Msg: 223
Posted: 4/9/2009 8:38:11 PM
As stated by multiple people, It depends on the circumstances. Perhaps he had lost his job and no longer could afford the rent. Perhaps he was recently divorced. Therefore he needed a temporary place to stay until he got another job. Perhaps he was taking care of sick / elderly / disabled parents or relatives.
 Zain.
Msg: 224
Posted: 4/10/2009 10:41:38 AM
" Its called get a backbone and do what men are suppose to do....be a leader, work and pave the way for yourself, be proud that you are a man and following the footsteps of millions of other men."

So if a woman was unemployed and living at home.. would that be okay? You were born with a **** does that mean you are excempted from "having a backbone" or "being a leader" You put these expectations on men but not women.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 225
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date a man if he was unemployed and living with his parents?