Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Would you start a relationship with someone you knew had a mental ill      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 STILLOneCoolChick
Msg: 51
Would you start a relationship with someone you knew had a mental illness?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
see? ignorance.

Not every person with a mental illness is in BAD mental health. Not every person with heart disease has the chance of dropping dead in 2 seconds. Not every person who is separated or divorced is a bad person or unable to carry on a great relationship. Not everyone who has an STD (i.e. herpes) will pass it on to you.

ignorance.

Any person who makes a blanket statement about anything that Kisama pointed out in his post without knowing the individual facts is ignorant.

it has nothing to do with pity.

Some of these people, because of going through some of these things, are better and strongly and more emotionally healthy than those who don't.
 rainbow_fish
Msg: 52
Would you start a relationship with someone you knew had a mental illness?
Posted: 11/9/2005 11:21:42 AM
I don't know when the trend started but it seems the
laws for equal employment regadless of age, weight, race etc....
has somehow been turned to dating. Equal opportunity laws are for
EMPLOYMENT, not dating.
 STILLOneCoolChick
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/9/2005 11:24:16 AM
you're right ^^ but I'm still allowed to my opinion as stated above that if you judge people without knowing individual facts and make blanket statemnts that it's ignorance.
 Disco Daddy
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/9/2005 11:27:58 AM
It is not called mental "illness", because it is healthy. Also they do not say you are "mentally ill", when you are in good mental health. STD's, oh please, that is just plain silly. You have got to be kidding about actually wanting to date someone with STD's. Of course people are going to be picky about these issues. I can understand short fellas becoming frustrated about some women only wanting taller men, but this is ridiculous. Mental illness, STD's... No!
 STILLOneCoolChick
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/9/2005 11:29:18 AM
it can be controlled and you can live an normal life too. Same as a diabetic. Not everyone with a mental illness is a fuking wreck everyday of their life.

if you are going to try to debate with me, you need to get educated first, or I can't be bothered with you.
 Disco Daddy
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/9/2005 11:39:40 AM
You are bothered by me, and that's the problem. I stated my opinion. You did not agree, and you started a crusade for the mentally ill, and now those with STD's. If you think I'm ignorant, because I have a preference for a individual with good mental health and no STD's. You are out of your mind. I have nothing to debate!
 _Thisisme_
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2005 11:44:48 AM
I don't think my decision not to date people with mental illness is judging anyone.

I realize there are a vast array of mental illnesses out there but acute depression is hardly the same as manic-depression.

The newest trend is to use 'bi-polar' to excuse (most often) men for domestic violence. I'm very sorry but I am not dating Dr. Jekyll just because his wife-beating ways is just a 'misunderstood' disease.

You may also notice that singles aren't lining up at 'AA' meetings to find a date either.
 STILLOneCoolChick
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/9/2005 11:49:35 AM

You are bothered by me, and that's the problem.

not by you, but by the ignorance displayed in these forums repeatedly. Again, someone with a mentall illness doesn't mean they can't live with good mental health.

I just really hope all you who are quick to judge don't end up with children with these issues. Sometimes the universe works in mysterious ways.

Okay... I'm done. I could get better heard by a brick wall.
 domeallmight
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/9/2005 2:35:14 PM
hello ever body i just had to say something on this for 10 years i tryed to stay with a women who was mental it,s very hard to do it works on your nerves and if i cant do it no one can you see i work in a mental hosptal it just dont work out unless thay take there meds or get help my ex wife would not thanks for letting me in see you
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/9/2005 2:37:10 PM
Is nymphomania a mental illness? If so, I change my answer to a resounding YES.
 rainbow_fish
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/9/2005 2:41:41 PM
^^^ it is a symptom..... usually goes with other things.
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/9/2005 2:43:55 PM
Other things, huh? Darn it.
 Artbreaker
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/9/2005 2:44:52 PM

hello ever body i just had to say something on this for 10 years i tryed to stay with a women who was mental it,s very hard to do it works on your nerves and if i cant do it no one can you see i work in a mental hosptal it just dont work out unless thay take there meds or get help my ex wife would not thanks for letting me in see you

Man, these cut-rate HMO's.... I hope you're the janitor. In any case, that's what you get for taking your work home with you.
 dbndon
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2005 4:03:36 PM
Would I have a relationship with someone? Well, yeah, I guess I would, come to think about it. I’m not too sure about a dating relationship, though. I’d have to think about it. Been there, did that. Paid those dues early in life there.

However, there is a delightful younger woman I enjoy talking with who has some very serious problems that are men related and she is also a classic manic depressive. We were thrown together quite by accident because the guys her age were very much interested in her but she wanted nothing to do with men.

She mentioned to me that she was leaving our group and never again coming back because of the guys persistent interest in her. I nonchalantly mentioned that I didn’t want to see her do that, and that she could sit with me and no one would bother her. And, that’s the way it worked twice a week for well over three years.

Soon we were talking together freely. She was safe with me because, as I told her, I’m way too old for her but when we are together the other guys will not bother her. Her story is sad, very sad, so I took an interest long term. And, there came a time, a couple years later, when she made me very proud by introducing me as “her friend.” It took a couple years of kindness and a lot of friendly talk to get to that point. But, truly, we are friends. Which, I might say, is a relationship.
 crunchberries
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/9/2005 4:05:23 PM
What do you define as a mental illness?? Depression?? Anxiety?? Or are we talking about bi polar disorder and psychotic behavior?? Really the answer depends on your definition of mentally ill. Truly, if we were to count all the people who are on this site who have at one time been on, say, Zoloft, Xanax, Lexapro, Prozac, need I go on, there would be almost certainly an awful lot. And if we were to count the people who SHOULD be on one of those meds, or should have been at some point in thier lives we come to.....oh, 50%?? Somewhere in that range. So I think it would be VERY unfortunate to generalize.

But, if you hear people who arent really there.......just......stick with them, OK?
 catahoula
Msg: 66
Posted: 11/9/2005 4:18:38 PM
Bravo dbndon....nice work....congratulations....you just might have saved someone. Everyone deserves a chance.
 wayne906
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/9/2005 11:58:17 PM
I guesss It would depend on , if they rode the short bus to school , licking the window.
 cupcake25
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/10/2005 12:16:15 AM
^^^
that's just bad on so many levels...but nevertheless i know i wasn't the only one laughing...

okay everyone that loves the crazies raise your hands. look we've all been there, we've all dated or at least met someone that could be lumped into one sort of mental illness or another. according to the pharmaceutical companies commercials, we're all suffering some kind of syndrome. Wake up Early Syndrome, Hate People Syndrome, Chewing Nails Syndrome, Drive with Two Hands Syndrome...whatever. I mean come on now, if you can date a republican you can most certainly date a person that reorganizes their sock drawer hourly and sometimes swears there are frogs eating out their brains.
 snowwolf13
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/10/2005 1:36:32 AM
Chronic depression happens to be the most frequent mental illness out there. It can strike anyone at anytime.

It can also be controlled with meds and a good doctor. For all those who like to bash the "mentally ill" it could happen to you too.
 Edduk
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/10/2005 2:42:12 AM
Some of the wheel chair ones can be really grumpy
 Kinkysmiles
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/11/2005 9:56:26 AM
Holy Sh*t Cant people out there take a joke, why is everthing got to be so seriuse Jafa was just saying something to get people thinking. all you guys need to just take a brake, chill out and and think about what he said insted of attacking him on first inpalse, and all the poeple out there with mental illness he on your side ( in case you dident get that)
 crunchberries
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/11/2005 5:18:29 PM
There was no attack, silly, at least not from me. I was responding to people who responded by immediately saying "no way" or "no psychos for me" or whatever stupid crap they put up. I felt it was short sighted for people to respond in that way, since there are many, MANY things which could be defined as mental illness. As for a joke, I included one at the end of mine.
 ThePretender
Msg: 73
Posted: 11/11/2005 5:25:42 PM
AGE RESTRICTIONS. Age seems to be more important to women, than whether the guy is a nut job.
 DarkestB4Dawn
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/11/2005 5:46:33 PM
Mental illnesses vary from OCD (someone who maybe has to check the door 3 times to make sure it is locked, which I could handle) to full on Toaster worshiping (which I could not handle) so this is one tough question to answer. You have to question yourself and the individual's illness in order to know this answer. Personally, I think everyone has some sort of OCD complex if you look deep and hard enough. I couldn't handle bi-polar. Please, those with it, understand, I am NOT saying no one should date you, just that I shouldn't. Reason being, I don't have the patience for the mood swings. But I am sure that someone else out there would have the patience to deal with it properly. But the question was directed to single out the individual and I think that all the responses should be respected. Just my opinion though. Take it or leave it. Oh yeah, I couldn't date anyone that would shoot a defenseless Zebra either and call it a sport. To some, this would be considered a mental illness. A god complex of sorts. To say you love animals, then say you "enjoy" killing them as a sport...hmmmmmm You see, mental illness is also a set definition in each person's psyche. What you consider normal, I may consider totally insane or vise versa.
 rainbow_fish
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/11/2005 6:01:31 PM
there are actually two main catagories
PSYCHOTIC and NUEROTIC....
there is NO WAY I would consider anyone psychotic.....

and if the nuerosis isn't too bad.. mmm. maybe but I did meet someone
not long ago who was manic depressive and it just REEKED from him....
you know. I don't think I could stand that for long and it was
not very enjoyable being around.
If you meet someone healthy and have a long 20-30 or 40 year history together
and they become ill
its one thing....... but to enter into a relationship like that.... would be
more than anyone could take if they are healthy.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Would you start a relationship with someone you knew had a mental illness?