Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why are older men so set in their ways      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 unique462
Msg: 50
why are older men so set in their waysPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
ur a hot one .....thanks lol
 unique462
Msg: 51
why are older men so set in their ways
Posted: 11/15/2005 11:41:47 AM
i like the seats on your hog...looks like my boots but with no wheels
 kyleW
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/15/2005 11:44:12 AM
I will never be old, therefore I will never be set in my ways.

It's win - win.
 bugsybears
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/15/2005 11:51:43 AM
that's right unique. you will always have someone on the forum that will listen to you. you sound to me like a very sweet lady and you really do deserve someone better. don't ever think you have to settle for what's in front of you. you need to hold out for that special someone who knows how to treat a lady. it will happen, just takes a little time.
 Thudpucker
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/15/2005 1:25:47 PM
The eternal question : “Why are older men so set in their ways?”

Because I are one (and my objectivity is somewhat intact), I am somewhat of an expert, so I feel entitled to comment. (Yeah, I know spelling and grammar, but cut me a little slack!)

. . . and the answer is: Ulalume, you win the prize! “Because they’ve been around a long time practicing.”

Survival skills are a mixed bag: if you value your hide, you keep practicing the skills that have permitted you to survive for this long, for it you get adventurous and try new things, you risk life and limb

BUT . . .

you become “set in your ways.” You don’t expand your horizons, you shun adventures, and you generally live a long, dull existence void of the things which make life truly worth living. You die without realizing you are already dead.

You learn to assemble puzzles, you learn to sit on the bank of a river and fish with a cane pole and a bobber, you read books, you learn to make complaints effectively, you may learn to appreciate the true beauty of women (even if you can’t do anything about it.) You learn to really like going to church and going to the bathroom. You learn which laxatives are most effective and how to get into heaven. You start a daily walk, but you don’t keep it up because you’re gout hurts. You complain when you are standing in line because they are wasting your valuable time.(hah!) You find renewed interest in television. You pay better attention to your diet. You purchase a lot of stool softeners, and you desire to buy stock in the company (to recoup your investment), but somehow, you never get around to it because “you are too busy.” You learn to talk about “the good ol’ days” You learn checkers. You pee a lot . . . and, on one insignificant day nestled in among many insignificant days in an insignificant year, someone discovers that you have finally stopped breathing, and a few friends and family bury you and say a few nice things . . .

OR . . .

You experience the true meaning of life.. You learn to call females “Darlin’.” You look back at all the foolishness and adventures in your life with awe and laughter. You make and travelplans to go to exotic places. You go surf fishing. You take long hikes on rigorous trails. You pinch pretty girls on the butt. If you are lucky you get your face slapped, but if you’re REAL lucky, you find a girl who likes to get pinched. You try out new restaurants. You find things to do you never knew before. You take a special joy in meeting and seeing children, and you hope they have a better life than yours. You learn to appreciate the taste and aroma of fresh coffee. Every new day is a celebration and a renewal of life. You maintain a constant and certain vigilant watch for “that special woman: the holy grail.” You learn to like that guy in the mirror, and you shave his face often so that you can repeat the encounters without drawing too much attention. If you are extremely lucky, you suffer a massive heart attack during a session of wild sex and you suddenly die. People don’t talk about your death; they will always talk about your life.
 unique462
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/15/2005 6:19:03 PM
ok i value my life so i dont do anything stupid i have done pretty much everything you wrote about except die and pinch a prettygirl on the butt...you can look back in retrospect til the cows come home and they do ,but what does that have to do with trying to seclude me from friends and family and forcing your beliefs and putting down mine...older doesnt always mean wiser unless your first name is bud..theres always something to learn..just ask all those senior citizens who just got the new med plan from the Gov you know if they dont quite understand they can look on the net for info......and things can function in more than one way..if im openminded i want a openminded man..no matter what age or race ok not to much older
 La Loba
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/16/2005 6:29:36 AM

what does that have to do with trying to seclude me from friends and family and forcing your beliefs and putting down mine...

Exactly what does this have to do with 'an older man'? This is a classic pattern utilized by controllers and abusers to manipulate - isolation. And it ain't got nothing to do with the age, Unique. I hear you saying the same thing over and over. You keep pulling the conversation back to you and your liaison with this 'older man' who wanted to own you. You got out of the situation - smart move. But you keep dwelling on this 'older man' syndrome crap. Just be glad you got out. And stop blaming it all on the man. Any, and I mean ANY situation a human being finds themself in is an 'equal opportunity' situation. You were the other half of the equation. Sympathy? Not from me. Learn from this experience, stop blaming 'older men' (they have absolutely nothing to do with this scenario) and don't make the same mistake again. The outcome never changes.

I can't abide someone being victimized. But I also have no use for someone choosing to stay a victim. Learn from it, assess the damage, get over it, and grow from it! Or, if you really are enjoying this role (and the attention derived from it) then do so. It is all simply a matter of choice.

There's an old saying that didn't become an old saying from being wrong "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger."
 unique462
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/16/2005 9:34:37 AM
it has to do with a older man because he was it was my situiation and my thread so why should it change and loose focus you are reading my reply to the comments of others ..i am answering them thesame way im answering you it is a reply im not dwelling ....you can pick out of what i am saying and take it out of context. i didnt ask for your sympathy ,if you read ..it was never a relationship to start we were just chatting and doing phone calls i got the vibe i was asking for feed back as to cutting it off and never meeting the person face to face and him still sending emails and what not it is done and over with if your going to comment read from the start and in whole ...i dont need you to spew a old and over used saying. when i run into a young man who is that way then ill start another thread about that encounter.. I dont understand if folks dont like the thread topics why do they go in them and act like OH MY GAWD!!! i cant believe you ..do this you say that..dont friggin answer unless you are the one who wants the attention...why is it wrong to reply and in my reply what am i saying that shouldnt be replied to...it is out of respect that i am replying to let you know i hear ya.. hey i got 2.50 and a coupon go buy a clue...thank you peace out
 La Loba
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/16/2005 10:21:37 AM
Old and over-used sayings become old and 'over-used' sayings because they hold much truth.

dont friggin answer unless you are the one who wants the attention...

I'm bowing out and leaving you on center stage.
 unique462
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/16/2005 11:51:55 AM
wow it must have been true LO LOBAAAAA...i thought this was a thread not a stage i guess its ones perspective of how they see themselves ...but to everyone else thanks for interacting and giving your input even if it was about other things this is what makes plenty of fish great (well and its free).. i hope we all find someone be it on POF or in our day to day life. we all deserve love and someone to hold us at night and hear us burp and listen to us fartlol...even if they are older or live in the mountain or use the word DARLIN peace out.....

if ya'll want to continue you can
 unique462
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/16/2005 12:15:21 PM
OH MY GAWD!!! i cant believe you
 collegeguy505
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/16/2005 12:43:35 PM
I gotta respond to the very first post- that guy is a complete fukkin as.shole!

On a more general note, I think old guys are set in their ways (not ALL, but some lol) because they have lived a long time and life experience has forced them into believing certain things. This guy has probably lived some kind of crazyfukkedup life to be as crazyfukkedup as he is...lol. And none of us will ever be able to see through his eyes, but that still doesn't make his behaviour right.
 bc_rivergirl
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/16/2005 12:47:46 PM
Because they think they know it all maybe lmao But most don't.. lol whether your young or old you can learn something new everyday.
 unique462
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/16/2005 9:20:22 PM
lol love the hair dont ever cut it and if you do send it to me...collegeguy banana: ...you know what everyone did i fail to mention he was only 50
 1HarleyRyder
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:00:54 AM
I'm 50 , does that qualify me as older ?
If so , then ALL men are not set in their ways.
I am rather flexible to new ideas in most cases.
 Ronnie Gray
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:38:27 AM
Some people are like that and you just have to look over them and as an older guy who is stuck in his ways I feel that said person will be lonely. As for me ; I give ground !
 Blastkist
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:44:09 AM
This isn't an AGE issue, this was a personality issue. The guy has issues...so do the rest of us. You just happen to be the lucky recipient of his attention that day.
 unique462
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/16/2006 11:11:09 AM
THANKS FOR YOU RESPONE HARLEYS RULE!!!!!
 unique462
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/16/2006 11:12:34 AM
THATS RONNIE...UR COOL NICE WARM PICS U TOOK
 sxxxy_azn_tygress
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/16/2006 12:50:51 PM
I don't think it is all older men...the one you had was just unfortunately very creepy and strange. Any man that will say to me in a patronizing manner, " I'll teach you darlin ' " can go and kiss my ass. It's a good thing you realized that he was wierd....hope he is already blocked!
 kitsguy4u
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2006 2:21:01 PM
Unique you have a great pic that will attract a lot of men. I dont know how he contacted you from PR but it might be that when he created his profile he entered a zipcode near you and thats how it got by the filter. I noticed you also have the age filter set at 45. I dont know if thats a new thing or if he managed to find away around that too.
Im not going to come down on you about this guy as you were tricked by him. He lead you on for weeks and then let his true self shine thru. unfortunately it wasnt really a shine but more of an oder.
Best i can suggest is to send him an email saying thanks for the chatting but he isnt your type and wish him good luck. then block him. Dont waste your time on a guy that you already find too controlling. Not just this guy but anyone. This guy sounds just too creepy. Any guy that tries to make you feel like you are somehow "lucky" to be talking with them is a pig. Hes lucky to talk with you. And you dont need his accusations or anyones. Hold out for a man that will treat you with the respect that you deserve. Never settle!
Good Luck!
 livewirehere
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/16/2006 10:10:06 PM
I think us "old folks" are not set in our ways necessarily.. We just know what we want and that's that. Personally, I know I won't just "settle", no matter what, and someone else might take that as being set in my ways, but that's not how it feels to me~~~
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why are older men so set in their ways