Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Fire Fighters      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 livewirehere
Msg: 76
Fire FightersPage 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
The trauma docs I work for tend to have a very "odd" sense of humor, and if you don't work around them, you wouldn't get it. Same with cops, firemen, EMTs, etc... The things you're exposed to everyday sometimes changes the way you "handle things", compared to others. Although, there are some who get bitter and angry, in which case, they should find another career. But, I like the kind of sense of humor that our docs have. If they didn't have it, they'd probably be in a padded room~~~

TrialbyFire
Msg: 77
Fire Fighters
Posted: 1/2/2006 3:59:39 PM
I am unclear why you think firefighters and police officers need a real job. I guess a real job hero to you is a highly overpaid athlete. I don't think all fireman or police officers are egotistical or hero oriented. The pay to do our job is not great unless you are a California Firfighter or Florida. I wonder as a female fighter and also a mandated police officer what you feel of women in the profession. I believe woman should not date firefighters or cops if they are weak, and need the attention all the time, because woman's feelings and themselves get left behind in emergency situations when one must choose the public he protects over their family. I am sure there is a hero inside every man and woman in the world in the right situation, but I do choose to risk and thus I am driven by that choice to perform ny duties with honor, as I swore to do. I wish that no lives were lost in 9/11 and no heros were made that day, because I am sure everyone in the WTC, In the pentagon, and in Pennsylvania would had rather went home to hold their wife, their children. I would say if you have to choose date a fireman over a cop, date a corporate man over a fireman, and date a millionaire if you can find one, but look past all that anyone does at their and see if to thineselves they can be true.
 Fireguy14
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Fire Fighters
Posted: 1/3/2006 2:18:45 PM
Blue eyed gal, First off you call me rude yet I have said nothing disrespectful about anyone else having to watch a co-worker get injured or killed like another jackass on the board. If you think that I believe a funeral and memorial is fitting and makes me rude then so be it. Where did I pat myself on the back? I plainly stated that I in no way want awards, respect or anything for that matter. What I do I do for a JOB plain and simple. So by me throwing one insult to a jackass who has no respect for others including fireman it makes me the jackass? Whatever you might want to go back and re-read the posts cause you obviously missed the whole point altogether. By the way so you can educate yourself for being so stupid I have posted my reply at the bottom see if yo ucan read the WHOLE thing this time instead of what you wanted to hear. Does that finally make me rude enough for you?

Jim

Ok, Jackass I have read enough of your jealousy towards Firefighters. It's plainly obvious that your menial job obviously bothers you enough to pick on others for attention. For one you don't even come close to being in the same category of danger that we put ourselves into. What is the third leading most hazardous job in the US? You guessed it firefighters not water treatment personnel, statistics don't lie. I don't know of a single firefighter that wants or expects anything for the job we do. I am a 10 year career veteran and have not once received any awards or pats on the back for what I do nor do I want it. I do the job I chose because it is who I am I was raised around a firehouse. And finally your last sentence is the most crappy and disrespectful thing I think I have ever read concerning the fire service. I went thru a firefighter death and it is an issue that I will deal with for the rest of my life. His funeral and memorial was very fitting considering he put in 25 years of service to our community and you sir have not earned the right to EVER speak against anyone who gives their lives for others. Enough said jackass.
 mystryred
Msg: 79
Fire Fighters
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:48:18 PM
Its funny all the different views of dating or not dating a fireman/police/emt. I grew up in the fire departmemt. My father started out in the Fire department when I was 2. He worked his way up to become a Fire Chief. He has since retired and is now an instructor for several states teaching fire fighting.

He is my hero!

He worked hard when I was a child growing up. Sometimes working 3 jobs along with being a fire fighter. He has put his life on the line for other people, he has seen so many things that as a woman I still could not take emotionally. Would I date a fireman.... HELL YES.. if he had the same values and traits that my father had. He has been married to my mother for over 43 years. Yes they had some hard times, but what marriage doesnt? The same traits that make my father a wonderful and caring Fire Fighter also make him a wonderful and caring husband/father!. Yes he still tends to want to take care of people.. keep them out of harms way.... And if that means he's egotistical... then more power to him. My father never boasted as to what he did. I grew up running around the firehouse... the other fire fighters were my uncles!! Yes there were a few jerks... but then again.. WHO Doesnt have a jerk or two in their family? My Father did what he did because he knew he was making a difference in someones life! Because if he could save 1 child or Adults life so they could go home and have the life that God wanted them to live.. then that was all the praise he needed. Yes he received awards and metals. But you know what.. those where taken home and put in a box. Because his knowing that he helped someone was all the praise he needed and wanted. And to remark on someones post that "They" expect a pat on the back or a metal.. Let me be the first to tell you.... THEY DONT want the metal or award.. Most of the time they are uncomfortable receiving something they were just doing their job for! The metals are OUR way of saying "Thank you for putting your life on the line for us"

It truely takes a special person to be a fireman, man or woman! Maybe we should look past the uniform and see the person!

Ok..I will now get down off my soapbox!!..

Myst
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Fire Fighters
Posted: 1/3/2006 8:44:54 PM
oh ho hum... .another thread that has gotten off track. This thread started out to find out about how women/men felt about dating a fireman. Now all the sudden people are attacking each other and for????? For those who have taken this out of context.. please start your own thread!!

I am dating a fireman for the forest service, they have been asked about going to other states recently who are having wildfires. These are dangerous jobs, and the people we are discussing like it or not RISK THEIR LIVES for other people!! These are not meniel jobs but then noone who enjoys their jobs thinks of them as meniel. I wish you folks would stop attacking each other and/or putting people down. This so takes the enjoyment out of these thread when people do that.

I have respect for PEOPLE... no matter what their jobs are. If they are good people.. then they deserve some sort of respect. I do not care if they are picking up trash in the streets, we need people for all jobs. What I do not like are negative people.

OUCH.. I just FELL off my soapbox.. dang it.. CALL an EMT.. quick...
 fireguy220
Msg: 81
Fire Fighters
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:18:52 PM
So you think we all go to bars and ask for sympathyand praise??? Sorry man but to me you sound like an ass. I've delt with many dead bodies in my time a a few of them have been friends. But thats just life and we never put them in that situation. I take pride in what I do. I like helping people even if they are Unknowing jack asses like you who stereotype.
 fireguy220
Msg: 82
Fire Fighters
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:19:43 PM
Its called black humor.
 EvenNow
Msg: 83
Fire Fighters
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:24:28 PM
I'm not into men that run into things hotter than i am.Joking people.I respect all people willing to lay down there lives for others.
 fireguy220
Msg: 84
Fire Fighters
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:32:44 PM
Just a note my first reply was to "loving you"
 LestatXL
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Fire Fighters
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:52:24 PM
Wow... there seems to be an incredible amount of bitterness and prejudice here... and its not coming from any fire fighters!

All fire fighters are egotistical maniacs only in the job for fame and the hero badge?

Please...

If we (or they, considering im no longer affiliated with the service) wanted fame for being a hero that much we'd be an actor and FAKE being a hero where everyone can see us doing it!

The only reason in recent times that fire fighters even get any praise by the general public is because of that one fated day that i'd rather not bring up but im sure you all know the one i mean.

I'm genuinely suroprised at the number of people who assume we are in the job for some need to be seen as a hero...

I've known a few heros in my time, not all served the public, and not one true hero ever saught to be one, it was just something that other people called them or thought about and not something that they labelled themselves, how dare you talk about people who put their lives on the line for complete strangers like that. They dont want to be a hero, theres just something inside them that drives them on to do it, and believe me, whatever it is, its not for selfish reasons!

I'm sure there are some who join with some delussion of being a hero and getting the girls and being famous and all of this stuff, but belive me, those type dont stick around.

As for the ones who seem to want/need/crave more attention. You just need to realise that there are more important things in life when peoples lives can depend on what you do. I will say one thing though, everyone, no matter what they do in life, should leave their job or duty behind at some point. But again, this kind of job is not 9 to 5, if you didnt figure that out before you started a relationship, thats not their fault its yours.

it seems to me that this is more of an issue with certain people having inferiority complex's than others having hero complex's.

But you go ahead and have your **** and whine about INDIVIDUAL people who are all different and have different traits that have nothing to do with their job and tar them all with the same brush. Because when you need someone, and believe me at some point in your life you will, then the people you're ****ing about right now will be the first ones there to save you, and they wont expect a thank you, because someones got to do it, and it sure isnt gonna be you!

To the Original poster of this thread, i just want to say that im not trying to judge or anything but I'd bet almost any money that if most of the women you'v atteracted got interested in you because of your job, firstly i'd bet thasts not why they lost interested, it was probably for other reasons, and secondly, if your job was all they cared about, you didnt need them anyway man.
 soulasylum
Msg: 86
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 1:07:33 AM
The OP of this thread asked about firefighters. Somehow cops and emt's have become included in this thread.

The largest study ever done showed that 40% (nearly half) of all Police Officers commit Domestic Violence against their spouses. Which was four times higher than the rate of civilian men. I have also heard (and agree with) that there is a much higher percentage of police officers that have been convicted of raping children and other sex crimes than Outlaw Motorcycle Club members. This is certainly believable considering most gang members have been molested and will harm sex offenders behind prison walls.

I personally will not date a cop (or any other member of our worthless judicial system). Infact I will not even speak to a Police Officer in casual conversation for any reason. I noticed someone else in this thread stated most people that don't like cops are that way because they have had bad experiences with them (ie. been arrested by one). I disagree. I feel in vast majority of cases the high number of people in society that hate cops do so because they have been victimized or harmed in some way badly by an officer in the past.

The firefighting and EMT professions have my respect as being worthwhile careers.
 PETE137
Msg: 87
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 1:33:37 AM
Why is it that if people drive by a fire station and see firemen cooking out and playing basketball they beep their horn and wave and smile? Yet these same people will write a letter to the local newspaper saying the cops are wasting tax money when they see a policeman, state trooper or sheriffs deputy ordering a coffee at a gas station when it is -15 below?

Always found that curious
 smoochiegal
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 1:33:41 AM
I don't think I would think twice about dating someone just because of their job unless it was something I really didn't agree with like in an abatoire or a butcher or they ran local hunts or something YUK.
 readytorun
Msg: 89
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 1:54:12 AM
I only had a chance to read a few of the posts on here so forgive me if these comments do not fit but;
As a female working first hand in this field I have to say that the males I work with are all great guys. I think they have outgoing personalities that can sometimes scare off a not so strong woman who is not so secure in herself (long hours spent away from home, close co-worker relationships). As for the divorce rate being higher, yea it is but situationally so. Meaning that it is not the fault of the job it is the people who let the job become them. Yes we work in a very dangerous field that requires you to be 100% you can be, the second you put on the uniform and of course with the things you see and experience you will take some home, we are only human. Do you think it is easy to always have the public watching you, even if you are going to and from work, you have on the uniform you are the job at that time. If you screw up while in it, people will make a conclusion on all people in that uniform. But I think the ability to have and maintain a healthy long term relationship in this line of work is to keep reality in check. Just remember that no one is totally defined by what they do at work, it is what they do everyday that makes them the person they are. So if women are scared off early on by you due to your occupation then good riddance and good luck to her, you can do better. Maybe it makes no sense but I am at work, (on a break!!) and it is 4:45 in the morning so as I go now to protect the a*** of all those who just put us down I will just say have a good night and sleep safe because we are out there doing our best.
 FantasyFlavor
Msg: 90
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 2:31:01 AM
Are you refering to women & firefighters?
Or their reaction to men in general?
I wouldn't say most women but for some
the challenge of gaining your attention
is half the thrill.

As far as men in uniform or a suit...total turn on!
 FantasyFlavor
Msg: 91
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 2:36:28 AM
I have a special place in my heart for firemen.
My brother is a lieutenant.What some people
don't realize is you guys not only answer fire
calls but your the first to respond to anything.
You see,hear & experience it all.My thanks to
all of you for being the special person it takes.
 princess-b
Msg: 92
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 5:48:28 AM
it is an incredibly honourable proffession and i thank god they are willing to do it.....after saying that - the few i have met have incredibly big egos when it comes to women and are real players....my 2 cents
 daylillies
Msg: 93
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 8:35:26 AM
i do volunteer work for fire fighters..
.but its not the uniform thats attracts me..its what the uniform stands for an the man wearin it..to me its stands for honorable..courage..an savin lives at the risk of their own...an more

and i will say this...cops ..firemen..an others in uniform know how droul over it..lol....so these guys will use it to their advantage with macho attitude ..like i am a cop...wooho..big deal....as far as i am concerned your just another guy to me...your no different then any one else. some really think there better then others...i know so many in those workin fields...seen it with my own eyes.
 delytful
Msg: 94
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 8:45:28 AM
Didn't even make it through the first three responses on this post before I could see the garbage ideas have about firemen. Fine, don't go to their house and pull them out while it burns. I think that they are the closest we have left to heros. Who else but paramedics will run into such a dangerous situation to help other people. And as far as the slams about their supposed arrogance, I have even taken a troop of daycare kids down to the station a few blocks from my place, and those guys couldn't have been sweeter. I also see them in the grocery stores etc, and they are actually nicer in general that other people. Definitely cleaner than most of the men in this city.
 DEANGLES
Msg: 95
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 8:53:59 AM
I had to get in on this one, I love fire-fighters and have yet to meet and date one. Being a Former Marine myself, a man in uniform, in fighting mode for a good cause, just does it for me.
 Red~Fire
Msg: 96
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 8:55:44 AM
Didn't even make it through the first three responses on this post before I could see the garbage ideas have about firemen.

I agree Delytful... I usually try to read everything before posting, but it's so out of hand that not even worth my effort. I'll just throw my own opinion in and that's good enough for me.

The demands on ANYONE who has chosen that career path is intense, tragic and also at times extremely rewarding. Anywhere you go, you will run into egotistical maniacs. It doesn't matter what their job is, it's their ATTITUDE.

Yes, there are arrogant firefighters but their are also arrogant salesman.. see where I am going with this? Many seem to be grouping them into one category based on their own experience, it does not mean ALL of them. Same as the "nice guy" or "single mom" threads, biased based on personal experience. That does not make it true though with every single one of them out there.

why is it most women like us till they find out where intrseted

OP: To your original question, if she doesn't want to get to know you after she finds out what you do, she is not worth it. She is not Miss Right for you.

I personally admire anyone who has chosen to protect people, strangers... I praise them for their commitment to their communities. I have to say, it is a job that someone has to do and I am thankful that the ones who do it are out there. If they chose to let that go to their heads, that is their own misfortune.. not mine.
~RED~
 Indigo Rose
Msg: 97
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 9:05:17 AM
I loved a fireman...whoa you brought back great memories..just a job kids!
 wurhelp
Msg: 98
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 9:18:21 AM
Hey Dudley: wow, are you meeting alot of really interesting women! It's them. It has to be. My ex husband was a firefighter for 12 years. That has everything to do with who you are. Okay well, atleast my ex and his buddies were all respectful, kind, caring men. Yeah, a bit intense, but wouldn't you be if you didn't know if you were coming out alive of a large fire breather? If you interested in her and she's not reciprocating, definitely look elsewhere.

Is this a test? . Unfortunately it sounds as if your running into some that are just not ready for a relationship. Shame on them for meeting you then. There again, is it something about you? Couldn't tell ya, don't know ya. Keep meeting and chatting. You'll find someone, someday. Hopefully we all will:
 MsHalo
Msg: 99
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 10:13:03 AM
Shame on the one's here that cut down the professions of these people in service. Do you not remember "911" how many fire fighters died alone just in that tragedy alone????? these people not only risk their lives, they are people who want to help save lives and risk their own. Every job "just about" has someone working there with an attitude, it's who the person is with or with out a uniform. I dated a fire fighter and he was one of the most caring men i have ever met. I simply dated this Man because of who he was, not because of a uniform. I truly feel like these people go into this profession because they care about the lives of people in general. I would have "pride" in what I did too if I worked in any of these professions and I also respect the lady that works with the water risking her life as well. There are many jobs that are under looked as far as people risking their lives and I respect all of these people having the courage to do what they do. Never Judge what someone does until you have walked in their shoes!!!

Ms. Halo
 samro123
Msg: 100
Fire Fighters
Posted: 2/9/2006 10:31:46 AM
Unfortunately there are some women out there that see the uniform and judge rather than seeing the true person behind the uniform. This could be from a bad experience with either dating someone within this occupation, or from a run in when asking for help. Yes....there are some people with attitudes out there, but that can be found in any occupation. There are some good cops and fire fighters out there, who do care and have feelings.

I have friends that are police officers, and fire fighters and I truly respect what they do. They put their lives on the line to protect us.

A lot of women can not handle not knowing if their husband will be coming home that night and can not deal with the stress of possibly loosing their spouse because of their occupation.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Fire Fighters