Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Vinyl      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 J to the D
Msg: 26
Anybody into Vinyl?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Only downfall of the Rega P3 turntable is that you have to remove the platter to change the speed... If you are only looking to play vinyl, the P3 is a superior machine.

If you are looking to be creative with your vinyl or you want to save a few coins you gotta stick with Technic 1200, they are the industry standard - I won't even waste my time playing on anything less. Don’t be fooled, these are not cheap turntables!!

Technic 1200's start at about $400 a piece and with proper maintenance they'll last you a lifetime. I had a pair for 10 years and I passed them down to a student so I had to buy a new pair (shucks!!!) and they are still running strong. So get a Technic 1200, get a great stylus I have 2 Ortofon Concorde Gold's (about $190 a peice) and you are all set....

If you are looking for only 1 turntable you have a $600 investment and you have years of enjoyment!!!!
 J to the D
Msg: 27
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/21/2005 1:37:51 PM
Now that brought me back.........

Cutting it up on the 1's & 2's......

Kudos
 freshlad
Msg: 28
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/21/2005 1:40:22 PM
i call it my HOB!!! (hobbie and job) and i wouldnt change a thing!!
 nutattu
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:01:35 PM
Vinyl rocks. I recently found an original pressing of Bowie's 'The Man Who Sold the World'. Wow. Records were mastered to be played on cheap Radio Shack turntables and through AM radio speakers back the seventies and often the newer CD releases are lacking in some way. I'm no aural expert but I have to admit that I have been mesmerized by this album. I think its important to listen to a record through the medium it was intended. Not to say that a good song isn't always a good song no matter what the medium. Keep in mind I ain't a Bowie fan... Or wasn't...
 3oh3
Msg: 30
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/22/2005 10:03:27 PM
I love vinyl. Its amazing how many unusual and unexpected things you can find on records. I usually go to Goodwill, Salvation Army, Half-Priced Books, and a place in Greensfork Indiana called Happy Days Records to find old jazz or spoken word stuff (mostly sermons or comedy records). The guy that owns Happy Days is a serious record collector. He mostly collects country western for his own collection but he has pretty much anything you can imagine for sale. Basically there is a store front with a small warehouse full of rows of records 5 stacks high that fill the place up. On top of that he has semi truck trailers full of records too. I think on the last count he said he had around 3 million records or something like that. People fly over from Europe to buy records from his store. If you want to give him a call his number is (765)886-5633. If you enjoy seeing tons of records and being able to pick through them to find all sorts of treasures its definately worth the pilgrimage. :) Great Prices too.
 Fibonacci
Msg: 31
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/22/2005 10:35:54 PM
Vinyl is the best. The clarity of the sound is sterling. I remember a die-hard Deep Purple fan whose grimace contained a modicum of bitterness when the same music he'd listened to millions of times on vinyl was presented to him on a CD.
 J to the D
Msg: 32
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/22/2005 10:58:40 PM
I went for my weekly vinyl shopping trip today and I got back around 6pm, and I have been messing with my new stuff ever since (it's now 2am) and now I am listening to the new CD I mixed.... VINYL ROCKS!!!
 Lux_Interior
Msg: 33
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/23/2005 12:43:58 AM
I still have a lot of vinyl. I even have a functioning turntable.
 K3VLAR
Msg: 34
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/23/2005 7:46:47 AM
the only thing I dont like about vinyl, is some of my 7"s skip. I bought them brand new, but my Riverdales 7", and my Madcap/Mighty Mighty Bosstones split 7" skip on a song
I have all the record cleaning equipment, but they still skip
 mrAGC
Msg: 35
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/23/2005 9:25:46 AM
hi

i still am the proud owner of a nice collection of Beatles Booties i picked up from a dealer many years ago...i have a nice picture disc of "Sweet Apple Trax"...a double live album in Vancouver 1964.....the Lennon "Roots" album..but i dont think mines the original worth around $1000.....and a great triple called "The Black Album" complete with the poster
 J to the D
Msg: 36
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/23/2005 10:32:15 AM

I have all the record cleaning equipment, but they still skip

Try bringing the needle past the point where the skip is, turn the platter off so it is not spinning then with your finger put a little weight on the needle and spin the record backward over the skip........ Depending on the type severity of the skip this may fix it!!!
 MMMBaby!
Msg: 37
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/23/2005 1:59:42 PM
A vinyl mini skirt looks pretty hot!! Hehehe!
 afterimage
Msg: 38
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:07:54 PM
I've got some albums just waiting to be played but no turntable to play them on. I've been thinking of something like a MMF 7 or a VPI Scout some day down the road. If I'm going to do it I'm going to do it right! All the albums I have sitting in wait are audiophile releases. I have a bunch of Sheffield Lab's, some JVC direct to disks, a few Crystal Clear Recordings direct to disc's, a few Mobile Fidelity and a couple A&M half-speed mastered.
 Pablo Verde
Msg: 39
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/5/2006 9:14:57 AM
The Rega P3 is a good turntable, I was the proud owner of one but since then I have upgraded to the P7 which is considerably better.
There is alot more information and much more bass.
When you have such a good source it requres you to also have the right synergism with all of youy components, wires, plugs and receptacles.
So sticking with the P3 is a safe way to go if you don't want to uprade your whole system. I would recommend the Dynavector phono stage and the Rega Elys or Super Elys cartrige if you are considering the P3, they are the perfect match.
 SeriousSam
Msg: 40
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/5/2006 4:41:24 PM
I still have all my vinyl LP records since the early sixties, as well as a lot of 45s. I agree that in SOME cases, vinyl can sound cleaner and has more ambience than CDs. But the reason I hate vinyl, and reason that I have ALWAYS hated vinyl is that even brand new out of the package, you get snaps, crackles & pops, hissing, and all the rest of the imperfections that come with a physical contact medium such as vinyl. Bad pressings....you know when your copy was number 100,767,453th off the master - just before they scrapped it Say what you like about digital - it'll always be there exactly the way it is now.
 Vindicator
Msg: 41
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/6/2006 3:30:25 AM
...Not if the digital cd 'rots'...then it may not sound like anything at all!
 NYKID45
Msg: 42
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/6/2006 4:19:44 AM
Latest Finds for me on 33 are as follows:
Max Webster w Rush :Universal Juveniles
Toto:S/T
Genesis:Duke
Genesis:A Trick Of The Tail
Genesis:Selling England By The Pound
Genesis:Wind & Wuthering
U2:War
U2:Boy (1st LP)
Buckingham/Nicks:Yep those two folks from (Fleetwood Mac) Stellar Very Rare LP,Great shape
Kiss:Double Platinum
Bread:The Best Of
April Wine:The Nature Of The Beast
Aldo Nova:S/T
and The Doors:Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine

Always a happy lad when i can score stuff like this.Ciao.
 Vindicator
Msg: 43
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/6/2006 1:32:42 PM
^^^ some good stuff up there...I've always wondered about the Buckingham/Nicks l.p. ...

My last records bought were:

Grand Funk : We're An American Band
Steppenwolf : For Ladies Only
Cris Spredding : Hurt

all 3 long out of print...gotta love the vinyl!
 parallax
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/6/2006 7:05:36 PM
^^^
I like Buckingham and Nicks' albums, but I feel that Mick Fleetwood's album "The Visitor" showed the most warmth of character than the other individual offerings from the Fleetwood Mac gang. I never checked to see if it was available on CD.

This past week, I was able to find sealed copies of "I was Walking Through the Woods" by Buddy Guy, "Hillbilly Deluxe" by Dwight Yokam, and a pristine "Ballad for Americans" by Paul Robeson.
 Vindicator
Msg: 45
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/7/2006 10:42:45 PM
^^^ sounds like some good finds! have you any John Stewart records? Buckingham and Nicks participated on them; his earlier stuff like "California Bloodlines" is just simply classic!
 Bob Dylan
Msg: 46
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/8/2006 6:41:36 PM
Got to agree with most people on this thread. Vinyl sounds so much better.

Just too expensive.
 ILoveMusic
Msg: 47
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/8/2006 7:33:55 PM
There is but the quality of sound boils down to the quality of equipment IMHO. Easiest is not necessarily the best sound. I work everything through my computer hardware and pro editing software. Its about a $3000 set up but worth it if you do more than just transfer equipment. If you already have a good computer then you can get less expensive hardware to add in. Toss a coin between computer vs. hardware mixers.

Personally, after the sound of vinyl, I couldnt listen to the same record done on CD. It would never sound right. Nothing beats analog!
 NYKID45
Msg: 48
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/8/2006 11:45:03 PM
Not really Bob,you can find some of thegreatest find at Hospices,Thrift store,Garage sale,Flea markets etc...Check them out first beforeanythingman,also used book stores are a good option too,Ciao.
 LEE_ENGLAND
Msg: 49
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/9/2006 8:12:30 PM
I release my tracks on vinyl, anything from between 500 - 2000 units per release. There is a market for it because club dj's use them. People in club land talk about a so called fall in vinyl sales but I personally haven't seen it.

I hate digital sound, give me analog synths and something with valves in it anyday. all that nasty 44khz 16 bit business and harmonic distortion makes me feel a bit sick.
 LEE_ENGLAND
Msg: 50
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 4/9/2006 8:30:37 PM
ok im exxagerating about the harmonic distortion, but there is a certain amount of fatigue with digital sound, the waveform gets "quantized" into 16 bits of data, it's not pure and smooth anymore, it jagged.

to put it into laymens terms, you shouldn't just be hearing that shit, you should be feeling it too. That's the difference between analog and digital.

Vinyl is analog paradise. So much more warmth with a track played back from vynil.

lol 5 years and i still don't know how to spell vynil ffs!

those who have been brought up on mp3's / digital sound probably haven't even experienced true analog. It's hard to really experience it as most things are digital.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Vinyl