Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Vinyl      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rocknrollin
Msg: 51
Anybody into Vinyl?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I have over 1000 vinyl records--it, alone is worth a few thousand dollars, because there's alot of rarities and i've dumped insane amounts of money into it. You get out of music what you put into it; those that only listen on IPods or whatever (I don't own any of that crap) probably think that they're getting the maximum enjoyment out of music, but i'd have to say they're not. They think they are, and this is why I know this: I listened to music that way when I was 10 (ie: taping my "favorite" songs off the radio....there's something so inherently Homer Simpson in there ), and it's way more enjoyable now than it was then, for me.
 stevege
Msg: 52
Vinyl
Posted: 4/11/2006 11:32:52 PM
VINYL IS AMAZING LOL way better than cds ... ITS WARM, ITS INCREDIBLE ... I SPENT 6 HOURS one day in recordland lol i have no life
 casey jones
Msg: 53
Vinyl
Posted: 4/24/2006 7:02:34 PM
stevege, Recordland is awesome. Huge selection that makes me drool every time I walk into the place. I have found, however, that Hotwax in Kensington has better quality. I've found, and bought some great albums in crappy condition from Recordland. The only place I haven't been to is the one in Marda Loop, and can't remember the name of it. Can you give a review of the place?
 Paulchino II
Msg: 54
Vinyl
Posted: 4/24/2006 8:10:19 PM
Love Vinyl....

....to anybody who says that digital sounds better...you're not listening to the music! You're focusing on the "noise" associated with a shitty table and a flawed record.....with a quality table and brand new vinyl...there's NO NOISE...just awsome SOUND!

....how can you say that digital sounds better...afterall, where do they get all the "good quality" remasters of older music? It was all recorded on analog equipment! DUH! How could a CD sound BETTER the the source....

....think about it....and the quality of digital sound decreases with each "pressing" too....
 Thorb
Msg: 55
Vinyl
Posted: 4/25/2006 8:42:27 PM
I grew up on vinyl .... 78's, 45's, LP's [33's] have a wall of it.
Been converting to mp3 for the car ... [don't need the quality level on the highway]

The only thing better than vinyl ... is Live. ... screw Memorix.

Vindicator
Msg: 56
Vinyl
Posted: 4/26/2006 11:47:48 AM
in Calgary, my favorite store for records is Melodiya, on top of the Red Mile. Before A&B Sounds closed up downtown, they would get some good records in from time to time, but the purchaser at the other location does not have the scope or variety, so the selection there lacks...
 The_garbageguy
Msg: 57
Vinyl
Posted: 7/28/2008 5:42:13 PM
I just found a 45 rpm record from 2005 of the Foo Fighters singing Best of You! I also found an AFI 45 dated 2008!!!! Unfortunately these new 45s have the small hole that is used on LPs. I'm not sure why they do that. There are still old jukeboxes out there. I have one. It took me 30 minutes to cut a bigger hole so I could put them on.
 Snarkysmachine
Msg: 58
Vinyl
Posted: 7/28/2008 8:16:59 PM
I adore vinyl and once I found a great turntable that rips vinyl into mp3 I ditched all my CD. I love the process of pulling the record out of the sleeve, placing on the turntable and lowering the needle on the record. I like that you have to pay attention to vinyl. It is the focus and not background noise. I listen to all kinds of music, but I swear listening to Roxy Music's ST on vinyl just gets me going.
 DaJunglist
Msg: 59
Vinyl
Posted: 7/30/2008 4:06:45 PM
What's Vinyl???

Never heard of it...
 OttawaSparkler
Msg: 60
Vinyl
Posted: 7/30/2008 6:03:56 PM
yeah I've been seeing people getting into vinyl , I have some also, forgetting the quality, a lot of people go through waves of nostalgia with old trends , in the late 50's to mid 60's there was a major revival with automatic foot pumped player pianos, they sold thousands at the time till they died off again in the 70's , even though they were considered obsolete by some 40 years by then, so this stuff comes and goes and is always fascinating , as well as the collector and preserving aspect of it, like many do with 33 rpm LP's now, and many also do with edison cylinders and 78 rpm shellac records and the machines to play them... , yup too cool lol
 Sandbagger
Msg: 61
Vinyl
Posted: 7/31/2008 5:45:32 AM
Got to agree with the majority on here, vinyl is far superior to any other mass media format for listening to music. I was a DJ in the late 70's / earl 80's & had started collecting vinyl in the late 60's, I have so much now I couldn't count it all. In that time I have upgraded my playback system several times, & have now settled on a Mitchell Orb deck, with SME arm & a £1,300 (sterling) Ortofon cartridge, Unison Research valve amp & Audio Physic speakers. Altogether about £10k sterling. Each disc is an emotional roller coaster, close your eyes & you can pinpoint the position of each instrument. Some of the re released virgin vinyl 180g stuff you can get these days is simply breathtaking, I would never change it for the world now.
 Soul_Suckin_Jerk
Msg: 62
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 8/1/2008 7:08:54 PM
those that only listen on IPods or whatever (I don't own any of that crap) probably think that they're getting the maximum enjoyment out of music, but i'd have to say they're not.

yeah, It's much easier taking your turntable and record collection with you for a bike ride!
 Thatguy67
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Vinyl
Posted: 4/29/2009 4:39:06 PM
I just picked up the vinyl version of the new U2 album!

scherman
Msg: 64
Vinyl
Posted: 4/30/2009 8:35:08 PM
not like i have anything against the vinyl but it's plain stupid to return into the cave after the prolong life in house or apartment.
that's true the sound of the vinyl are more lively and has more harmonic in it, unlike dry sound of limited by 44.1KHz/16bit of CD's.
but life didn't freeze up 20 or 30 years ago.
there are new technologies in sound industry like sound captured into High Resolution at 192KHz/24 bit of audio on DVD Audio in stereo or at 96KHz/24bit 5.1 multichannel sound.
enough once to hear this sound even on average modern equipment to blow you away from listening of CDs or even of vinyl LPs.

as for those who transfer their LP collections onto CD media - people you simply wasting your time and resources.
specification of CD technology is very much obsolete.
if you like to make proper copy of your LP records you must record them at least 96KHz 24 bit stream.
it will let you to capture all of the nuances of the sound with all their sonic specs which give to LPs their liveliness in the sounding
if the sound card of your computer can capture the sound at 192KHz it's even better.
then burned onto blank DVD media sound can be played on any regular DVD Video players which are today in every household.
 Sorg85
Msg: 65
Vinyl
Posted: 5/5/2009 3:17:22 PM
You are right scherman about today's technology for sound capture to be better than it did in the beginning, but I doubt people would want to spend time putting their LP's onto a blank dvd.

I helped my step mother transfer cassette tapes onto cd and it would be a pain for anybody that is new in that area. It's all about preferences I think. If I could I would collect cassette tapes as well since there is bands that still release music on cassette.
 lovnlife
Msg: 66
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 5/5/2009 8:58:45 PM
Yup about 4000 titles in my collection. I used to sell it for a living back in the day. Just picked up a great punk collection that include die die my darling by the misfits first pressing purple wax worth about 5 bills, pil metal box, couple of original crass. 300 titles all punk, best collection I have picked up in 15 years of collecting. Tonight I just picked up 14 japanese jazz cd's all wicked titles. I run an oracle delphi mk3 with an et2 air arm and cambridge audio phono stage. I try and sell off lower end tables with a bunch of lp's so people can get into collecting vinyl. Probably sold 15 to guys and girls just starting out. People always ask me about downloading and I just have to say, OK what for, although my ipod is full of rammstein.

5 stars for the vpi 16.5 record cleaner too a must have for a serious collector
 ~Pedro Sanchez~
Msg: 67
Anybody into Vinyl?
Posted: 12/2/2009 12:30:58 AM
I love it...but its costing me heaps. Just bought a Grado Statement Reference Cartridge. I have a Denon MC304 and a Linn Troika. Just received an Origin Live RB250 modified tonearm. Still using an old SME 3009 III and on my Linn LP12, the Ittok.

Then tube pre amps. The tubes itself.

Then the vinyl. I always try to buy new, then you come across vintage stuff that you'd never see on CD. Currently limiting myself to as little gear as possible....but I love the sound of vinyl. The warmth, which I thought was hype. Faark...such a difference. I struggle to get back to CD or worse MP3's.

Warmth and a bit of colouration is fine by me, hence my Linn LP12 and cartridge choices...apart from the Grado Statement Reference.
 Thorb
Msg: 68
Vinyl
Posted: 12/2/2009 7:31:12 AM

if you like to make proper copy of your LP records you must record them at least 96KHz 24 bit stream.

that would make a crap copy ... not even nearly as good as an old cassette
my mp3 copies are at 128kb. and that's an older free program that does that.
newer mp3's can be done at 300 kb. plus if you want.

still .... I mentioned converting ... only for car or outdoor use ... not indoor sitting and enjoying.... that can only be accomplished with the real thing.
the original LP and sterio equipment to play it.

everything else is synthetic and does not serve the purpose of that nostalgia

as for copying to dvd.... just buy one ... then you can see the band too.
 jubbly
Msg: 69
Vinyl
Posted: 12/2/2009 3:15:19 PM
Vinyl has that warmth of sound...to me anyway. I've only just started getting back into it after a trip across to Portland, Oregon. I still think that the classic sound systems of the mid to late 70's are the bees knees, makers such as Technics, Pioneer, Kenwood, Marantz etc . They look solid and are great pieces of furniture as well as top notch systems. Nobody has yet invented anything as durable, or aesthetic (covers) as vinyl.

thorb, I can remember 45rpm vinyl players in cars...state of the art back in those distant days.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Vinyl