Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Would you Canadians move to the U.S,Would you Americans move to Canad      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SpaceSquirrel
Msg: 801
view profile
History
Would you Canadians move to the U.S,Would you Americans move to Canada if you met someone on here?Page 33 of 37    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37)
I would LOVE to move to Canada ... doing so for love would certainly be a bonus, but by no means a pre-requisite. I've been tempted to try to move to Seattle to facilitate meeting people and/or applying for jobs in Canada ;)

In post 757 neilalagel talked of being "an American trapped with a Canadian citizenship" ... I'm the reverse ... sometimes it feels like I "should" have been born Canadian, but happen to be American. I enjoy "dementia" music (The genre on the Dr. Demento show ... Weird Al Yankovic being the best known exmaple) with several of my favorite groups being Canadian and favorite songs about Canada. I grew up in semi-rural Michigan, so feel like I'm almost halfway toward being Canadian anyway, and have no problems with the cold and snow, but if it gets much over 30 C (86 F) I start to wilt. I've considered moving to Alaska as well as Canada.

A few Canadians have mentioned not wanting to give up "Tim's" ... if this means Tim Hortons, they have long since expanded to the states (I used to stop there when I lived near Detroit, MI). According to their website they have stores in CT, KY, MA, ME, MI, NY, OH, PA, RI, and WV, so I guess you'd be restricted to the Northeast and Midwest, but is still better than nothing ;).

I think my biggest fear in making the move would be finding employment as the economy is sometimes a bit stronger in the US. That and trying to get my mom to come visit (she isn't as big a fan of the cold).

So, any Canadians out there want to help me plan a visit ;).

--SpaceSquirrel
 custis
Msg: 802
Would you Canadians move to the U.S,Would you Americans move to Canada if you met someone on here?
Posted: 5/13/2008 9:14:25 PM
If it were not for family and my love for the United States desert country, I may have moved to Canada long ago, simply because the government of the United States is absolutely soaked with corruption. Washington D.C. is nothing but a nest of filthy greedy **stards who should all be lined up and shot. But who knows, perhaps it is no better in Canada, although I have heard that it is much better.
 Sardonis
Msg: 803
Would you Canadians move to the U.S,Would you Americans move to Canada if you met someone on here?
Posted: 5/13/2008 9:51:30 PM
After seeing just how many hot girls my age who don't have kids and share similiar interests, I have contemplated moving to Vancouver, British Columbia.
 WhyMe1369
Msg: 804
Posted: 5/13/2008 10:43:02 PM
Wow... you all talk about how cold it is up here... we do have 4 seasons... and you can really see the difference between them. I know it will be difficult to leave my igloo behind and know I will have to get acustomed to modern civilization , but I am sure I will manage... CALIFORNIA here I come! How much more of a shock can you get? From the cold eastern Canadian climat to south westen States... aaahhhh yes... a new adventure... and who knows... I might find someone to keep me there... ya never know!
 Enchanted107
Msg: 805
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2008 12:05:14 AM
I was about to say no way, then realized I did move to Toronto (here) from Chicago because of love; my husband was here. Granted it was not easy decision, which meant giving up a lot of things, but I did!
 xchaosx
Msg: 806
Posted: 5/14/2008 12:23:49 AM
Yes I would but I would want us to compromise and move to somewhere between both of our original locations
 dubliner7
Msg: 807
Posted: 9/18/2008 8:16:55 PM

Yes I would but I would want us to compromise and move to somewhere between both of our original locations

Lake Erie?
 lelathecat
Msg: 808
Posted: 9/18/2008 8:24:08 PM
If I were to move anywhere, it would have to suit my needs first. Could I get a good job there? Can I get a work visa there? Do I like the place? Climate? People?

If someone lived in someplace I hated, I certainly wouldn't move there for them or even be dating them.
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 809
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 8:57:45 PM

What would be your fear in making the move?

My *perceived* American mentality. Guns, God 'n my country. Social Darwinism. A fear-based society. Despicable foreign affairs. A nation that would vote for Bush - twice!

I've worked for many years in tourism in Cape Breton and Toronto as a waitress. I've come across many, many different nationalities visiting Canada. Of the American visitors, most were kind and nice. I live in an area that was a mecca to American draft dodgers. I have friends and two business partners that are American.

HOWEVER, of all the different nationalities that I have met, there have been NONE that have displayed entitlement, rudeness, ignorance of other's customs, abrasiveness and loudness of the few bad apple Americans that have come here. It makes me worry what life south of the border would be like. Even Canadianized Americans seem to apologize for their compatriots.

I would rather my "American love" move to Canada and we could winter holiday down south.
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 810
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 9:04:40 PM

But I wish more then anything he would have threw a bucket of ice water in my face and told me to get a clue and stay in Winnipeg!! Cause now Im down here feeling stuck and need to move back!

Ahhh! Winnipeg is so bitter cold in the winter but so warm in the people's hearts.
From a former Pegger
 veryordinary
Msg: 811
Posted: 9/18/2008 9:07:56 PM
I would move to Canada in a minute. I would just have to have someone with very warm feet. I don't really like cold weather, maybe I should go to Mexico instead.
 Coach Andrew
Msg: 812
Posted: 9/18/2008 9:11:57 PM
Interesting question. Frankly, whenever I've been to Canada, I think to myself hmmm, I could live here. Toronto is like a cleaner, smaller New York. And of course, Vancouver pretends to be New York in many movies. Quebec is beautiful.

My best friend through high school and college met his future wife when he visited Israel. She was from Ottawa (eh). It was one of those love-at-first-site romances, probably fueled even more by the novelty of meeting someone far away from home, but after a year, he proposed, and moved to Ottawa, since she had more holding her there than he had holding him here. That was 29 years ago, and they're still going strong, with three children.

We occasionally reconnect, and I told him that the way things have been going here, he may one day look like a prophet for having made the move when he did.

I've seen some of the beautiful Canadian women on this site... yeah, I could live up there!
 BigDaddyJinx
Msg: 813
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 10:47:29 PM

...have displayed entitlement, rudeness, ignorance of other's customs, abrasiveness and loudness of the few bad apple Americans that have come here.

I used to think America and Americans in general were all that and a bag of chips, and I couldn't wait for the day I was old enough to move there.

Then I visited there...and it started to change.

And then I supported them over the phone (for my job)...and it all changed.

I would never, ever, in a million years reside in America, even for love. Not for all the money in the world would I consider it. I've seen it, and I've supported their people, and I have never met a culture so into themselves as they are/were. Can't really denounce an entire country based off the occasional bad apple, but imagine dealing with these bad apples in BUNCHES day in and day out, 30+ a day, over 6 years...

Americans are a little too obsessed with "me me me all about me" mentality for my liking. This is just from personal observation. We have bad apples in Canada too, granted, but good luck trying to find them. In the States, you couldn't spit 2 feet without hittin' one.

I'd rather rip my own intestines out with a rusted and dull Swiss Army Knife than live south of the border.

And at least if I did rip, in Canada...I'd be medically covered and not shuffled off to some ramshackle facility because I don't have the right coverage...

contheuber
Msg: 814
Posted: 9/18/2008 11:05:17 PM
"Would you Americans move to Canada if you met someone on here? "

I'd consider it, sure.

Would have to be the right circumstances, but why not?

Besides, if I move up north... maybe I can find someone who actually likes hockey :/
 WanderingRain
Msg: 815
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 11:21:39 PM
For a while, I was going to, actually. Go visit Canada just for a girl. She was wonderful and we had long conversations on here. She's still the most awesome yet I have met on PoF.
She either got busy or found someone, but she does not answer my mails anymore. I'd like to think she met her man up there... I'm happy if she's happy so I guess I'll have to look for another Canadian. There's so many lovely Canadian girls up there.
And a good number of them write really good profiles.

Also, the more I learn about Canada, the more I admire the country and fall in love with it. So we'll see...
 heywhatchadoin
Msg: 816
Posted: 9/19/2008 1:01:03 AM
Good question.

If he was THE right one definitely would move to where he was regardless of where it was BUT it would have to warmer. I am not sacrificing healthcare just to endure winters somewhere else!

I am pretty lucky that I can work pretty much anywhere and am absolutely not worried about making new freinds. 2 of my best freinds live in Louisiana and I would live there in heartbeat to be with a soulmate- crime, hurricanes, guns be damned as long as I am warm :)

Of course there would be certain considerations. among them being a better climate. If he lived somewhere cold he could haul his arse up here to Alberta. That would go the same to maybe in Canada.
 profender
Msg: 817
Posted: 9/19/2008 1:32:11 AM
PLEASE NO .... that just tooo disgusting to contemplate mixing an american with a canadian....i mean what screwed up ,demented ,torchered mind would dream up such an horrific idea ...the genetic mix would cause huge damage to this planet's already delicate balance and the thought of a fat person with a huge beard speaking french and watching ice hockey all day !.....please no more...i cant take...
 Twilight04
Msg: 818
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 1:21:16 PM
Possibly, I'm only about 45 minutes away from Canada right now. It would really depend where in Canada though. Toronto, Kingston...sure. Montreal, maybe. Quebec city...probably not. I speak about five words of French and none of them would really help me out there.
 english lass
Msg: 819
Posted: 9/19/2008 1:50:25 PM
if i didn't have the restrictions due to the kids needing to be a certain distance from their dad, for visitation purposes, then i could move there, but i don't know if i would... my main hesitation would be the lack of free health care
 Just_Eric
Msg: 820
Posted: 9/19/2008 1:59:37 PM
I was stationed in upstate NY ofr six years and stayed in the area another four. Most of that time I was married to a local girl, but I did visit Canada quite a bit before we married, and after we split. Being a Texan, I have quite a bit in common with most Canadians I have met. Work hard, play hard, love hard. I have never failed to be impressed by the cleanliness of the country, as opposed to my own.

I have dated a few Canadian women and would have no aversion to relocating IF I found somebody I truly felt was my soulmate. Work isn't really an issue, as I can do anything I set my mind to, and I learn fast. I could probably make more money doing what I currently do there, than here. I do have some friends north of Toronto, near Georgian Bay, who invited me to come spend some time. I may take them up on that in 2009, after the first big thaw.
 winter_flower
Msg: 821
Posted: 9/19/2008 3:23:20 PM
Right - you are a single dad - so chances are the person you would find will be a single mother. I know am in entirely different part of the world, but the principle is the same. As a mother - it's not an easy matter to move. Especially in UK. You got your child to a good school, you have the entire social network worked out around your life. When it's right to move, one moves. Would I move purely because of a man? Only if I wanted to live in that part of the world in the first place and if it did not mean moving my kids away from their father with whom we are separated. That is unthinkable. Until my kids are grown ups, i am tied in this way whether I like it or not. And of course if and when I would actually want to be with that man - which i am thinking - how is it going to develop to that point over long distance?
And btw I think a health insurance is the lamest reason not to move ever.
 BlazeFalconburger
Msg: 822
Posted: 9/20/2008 9:44:18 PM
YES! Canada has some of the most beautiful brunettes!!!! evar!!

MMMMMMmmmmmmm yum.

:D
 Mike_Wazowski
Msg: 823
Posted: 9/20/2008 10:10:06 PM
No. I won't even move to another city in the same province... moving to another country is completely out of the question.
 just-for-forums
Msg: 824
Posted: 9/20/2008 11:54:39 PM
Nothing against the USA but I couldn't picture living anywhere but here (Ottawa). Here is where my family and friends are. I've done a fair bit of traveling and, whether Canada or the USA, I've never found a place that I felt more at home in. Besides, if I couldn't handle dating someone just a two hour drive away, someone in another country would be pretty unlikely.
 Tisha Mc
Msg: 825
Posted: 9/21/2008 1:12:43 AM
I'm not really sure. Not that I have anything against Canada, but there are so many things to consider. I'm very close to my family and would have a hard time leaving them behind. And I'm not just going to do it for anyone. It would have to be that I'm marrying this person and I just don't see how we could get to that point if we live in two different countries. But I wouldn't rule it out completely.
I surprised that someone even asked this question when so many of the people on this site are not even willing to go farther than 75 miles. I see that on a lot of profiles. They won't even talk to you if you're too far away.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Would you Canadians move to the U.S,Would you Americans move to Canada if you met someone on here?